PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Prepare yourselves: Chiefs sign 5th TE.

Direckshun
05-11-2008, 02:15 PM
This guy ABSOLUTELY has to be a camp body, nothing more. You don't Draft 3 TEs in two years and bring a guy in to play seriously...

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/sports/sykes_63692___article.html/hoal_yards.html

Ex-49er signs with KC Chiefs
Sykes played one season as tight end with Yuba

Rohnie Sykes, who played football at Yuba College for one season, signed as a free agent Wednesday with the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League.

"He's a nice kid," 49ers football coach Ted Hoal said. "We're all real happy for him. He worked hard and got an opportunity to go on and he took advantage of it."

After playing one year at Sacramento City College, Sykes played tight end with Yuba for part of the 2005 season while dealing with a personal family tragedy, Hoal said.

"We were tickled to death to have him," Hoal said. "For the five games or so he was with us, he played well enough to earn a Division I scholarship."

Sykes caught 25 passes for 300 yards and five touchdowns with the 49ers.

The Sacramento native then went on to play tight end at Morgan State in Baltimore for two seasons.

In 2006, Sykes finished with 21 catches for 111 yards and one touchdown and was selected to the 2007 pre-season All-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference second team. Sykes finished with six catches for 68 yards his senior season with the Bears and helped open holes for an offensive unit that averaged 348 yards per game and 203.4 yards on the ground.

While he signed as a free agent, Hoal said Sykes still has to make the Chiefs' roster, although Hoal added Sykes fits the perfect mold of a typical NFL tight end.

"He's 6-5, 245 pounds, big, athletic, strong, he can catch, run and block," Hoal said.

Hoal said what the Chiefs like most about Sykes is "his willingness to get in there and block, mix it up, take on defensive ends and linebackers.

"Now he's in Kansas City eating corn-fed beef," Hoal added.

Direckshun
05-11-2008, 02:16 PM
For the record, five touchdown receptions for the 49ers' horrific offense is actually pretty good.

Pure receiving TE, though.

My TE depth chart:

Tony G - receiver/blocker
Cottam - blocker/receiver
Allan - receiver
Merritt - blocker
Sykes - receiver

blueballs
05-11-2008, 02:36 PM
You saying Chan likes a tight end

BigVE
05-11-2008, 03:48 PM
For the record, five touchdown receptions for the 49ers' horrific offense is actually pretty good.

Pure receiving TE, though.

My TE depth chart:

Tony G - receiver/blocker
Cottam - blocker/receiver
Allan - receiver
Merritt - blocker
Sykes - receiver

I don't think this article is referring the NFL SanFran 49'ers....right?

milkman
05-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't think this article is referring the NFL SanFran 49'ers....right?

Sure it is.

He played his college ball for the San Francisco 49ers.

Direckshun
05-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh, sheez. I didn't even pick up on that. My bad...

milkman
05-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh, sheez. I didn't even pick up on that. My bad...

It isn't referring to the SF 49ers.

I just couldn't resist a smartass answer to his question.

doomy3
05-11-2008, 04:05 PM
It is referring to the SF 49ers.

I just couldn't resist a smartass answer to his question.

:spock:

What exactly in that article would make you think it is referring to the SF 49ers?

milkman
05-11-2008, 04:09 PM
:spock:

What exactly in that article would make you think it is referring to the SF 49ers?

Oops, my bad.

I mean't to type "isn't".

Fixed it.

Bwana
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Print um

chief52
05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
He played JC ball for the Yuba College 49'ers in Yuba City, just north of Sacramento.