PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 2008 NFL Cap Casualty Cuts

Wilson8
05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Below is a link to Walterfootball’s list of potential NFL free agents come June 1. I guess I’m looking forward to what the current roster can do, so none of these players really interest me that much.

http://walterfootball.com/gregcuts.php

Some of the names on the list –

Bobby Carpenter, LB Dallas Cowboys - I still think KC needs to improve at MLB, but Carpenter has not played that well to think he could do the job here.

Atwaan Randle El, WR Washington Redskins – I would have been interested in Atwaan before KC’s signing B.J. Sams and drafting Kevin Robinson. Now I want them to get a chance to make the team.

Stanley Wilson, CB Detroit Lions – Stanley is young and has some talent but I think that newly drafted Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr could develop into our starters and hopefully Patterson, Barksdale, and Brackenridge can continue to grow and develop, so I’d say no on Mr. Wilson.

Sean Mahan, C, Pittsburgh Steelers – Depending how Rudy Niswanger is looking in practice, KC may still need help at center. Mahan might be a possibility to help the team. Also he can play guard.

Matt Jones, WR Jacksonville Jaguars – Maybe, but has been a disappointment so far so probably better to stick with Will Franklin, Devard Darling, Bobby Sippio, and Jeff Webb and see what they can do.

Not surprised to see Greg Wesley on the list. I also wondered if Damon Huard or Patrick Surtain might be June 1st cuts.

Any other names that you think should also be on the list?

Ebolapox
05-11-2008, 10:53 PM
what happened to bobby carpenter? wasn't he a potential stud coming out of college?

iowa fans... what's up with that?

Wilson8
05-11-2008, 11:04 PM
As a former Ohio State, 2006 1st round pick, I’m sure the Cowboys were expecting a lot more that 18 tackles per season. Maybe in a different system he can do better. One report listed the problem of attempting to make him play the middle and he would be better suited to play on the outside.

Rausch
05-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Below is a link to Walterfootball’s list of potential NFL free agents come June 1. I guess I’m looking forward to what the current roster can do, so none of these players really interest me that much.

http://walterfootball.com/gregcuts.php

Some of the names on the list –

Atwaan Randle El, WR Washington Redskins – I would have been interested in Atwaan before KC’s signing B.J. Sams and drafting Kevin Robinson. Now I want them to get a chance to make the team.

The only guy I'd like at this point.

Stud KO/P returner and solid 2/3 WR.

I wouldn't pay anything close to what the Foreskins paid, but at reasonable cost I'd bite...

ChiefRon
05-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Barring injuries, I'd pass on these guys. I'd rather see what our young guys can do, and see which of them will step up this year.

Rausch
05-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Barring injuries, I'd pass on these guys. I'd rather see what our young guys can do, and see which of them will step up this year.

The only areas I'm worried about are MLB, WR, and P/K returner...

ChiefRon
05-11-2008, 11:29 PM
The only areas I'm worried about are MLB, WR, and P/K returner...

Fair enough. Which of these young guys will you let go to make room for Randle El (or even Koren Robinson)? Some of these guys won't make the roster anyway, of course...

(Naturally, D-Bowe isn't included...)
Luke Swan
Jabari Arthur
Kevin Robinson
Maurice Price
Jeff Webb
Bobby Sippio
Will Franklin
Devard Darling

As for K, I agree completely, but who should we be targeting, Carney?

As for returner, I'm sure it will be between Sams, Robinson, and Charles...

Wilson8
05-11-2008, 11:30 PM
There have been rumors that Robert Gallery might be on borrowed time in Oakland. Oakland is pressing the top of the salary cap but it is possible that it might cost more to cut him than to keep him. Robert showed so much ability at Iowa, but has really struggled with the Raiders with injuries, new positions, and new coaches. Do you think he could help the Chief’s line if he were to become available?

Rausch
05-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Fair enough. Which of these young guys will you let go to make room for Randle El (or even Koren Robinson)? Some of these guys won't make the roster anyway, of course...

(Naturally, D-Bowe isn't included...)
Luke Swan
Jabari Arthur
Kevin Robinson
Maurice Price
Jeff Webb
Bobby Sippio
Will Franklin
Devard Darling

I like Price, Webb, Franklin, and Darling.

Outside of that cut all of them...:evil:

ChiefRon
05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
I like Price, Webb, Franklin, and Darling.

Outside of that cut all of them...:evil:

LOL. So you wouldn't even give Robinson a chance to make the team?

Wilson8
05-11-2008, 11:44 PM
LOL. So you wouldn't even give Robinson a chance to make the team?

If the Chiefs can sign players like Antwaan Randle El or Koren Robinson to contracts that does not guarantee that they make the team, I have no problem in their signing. Let the competition begin and the team finds out if Webb, Sippio, Franklin, etc. are the best. Problem is; usually when an NFL team signs a player of value, the bonus money paid up front almost guarantees the player makes the team, because the NFL team does not want to take the salary cap hit it would cost to cut him.

RustShack
05-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I think Robinson wins the KR/PR job.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I think Robinson wins the KR/PR job.

I think Robinson wins the slot job at worst. He could easily come in here and be the number 2, depending on how fast he can learn the offense. If he's dedicated he's the 2nd most talented receiver on our team. I really hope we sign this guy for the right price.

ChiefRon
05-11-2008, 11:47 PM
There have been rumors that Robert Gallery might be on borrowed time in Oakland. Oakland is pressing the top of the salary cap but it is possible that it might cost more to cut him than to keep him. Robert showed so much ability at Iowa, but has really struggled with the Raiders with injuries, new positions, and new coaches. Do you think he could help the Chief’s line if he were to become available?

I dunno about him. He's never lived up to expectations, and I haven't followed him enough to know if it's lack of talent or desire. Besides, isn't their line as bad as ours?

B_Ambuehl
05-12-2008, 01:42 AM
If Eric Parker gets cut by the Chargers IMO he'd be as good or better pickup than any of the other available receivers.

tomahawk kid
05-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Didn't Randle El just have knee surgery?

Interesting rumor about Gallery.

Is the C from Pittsburgh their starter?

MOhillbilly
05-12-2008, 06:47 AM
The only guy I'd like at this point.

Stud KO/P returner and solid 2/3 WR.

I wouldn't pay anything close to what the Foreskins paid, but at reasonable cost I'd bite...

i watched alot of washington games and hed get hot and go ice cold. not a good fit for KC imo.

Wilson8
05-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Sean Mahan was at Tampa Bay for 4 seasons with 36 starts, was Pittsburgh's starting center (16 starts) last year but then the Steelers signed Justin Hartwig so may be on the way out. Sean will turn 28 later this month.

Atwaan Randle El had arthoscopic knee surgery but I don't think it was any big deal and he should be practicing by June.

Wilson8
05-12-2008, 07:03 AM
The 2008 draft was able to fill several of the Chiefs needs. The drafting of Jamaal Charles makes free agent running backs looks unattractive. Like wise the drafting of Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr makes cornerbacks not look so important. A good free agent defensive end might be good. The loss of Jared Allen and Jimmy Wilkerson needs to be addressed. I’m not sure moving Boone to DE is the answer. Also don’t want the age and extra baggage, DEs Leonard Little or Vonnie Holiday would have.

El Jefe
05-12-2008, 07:34 AM
what happened to bobby carpenter? wasn't he a potential stud coming out of college?

iowa fans... what's up with that?

Ever since he broke his ankle the game before Michigan his senior year, he never fully recovered. Tuna picked him I think it was in the 20's in the first round, and the injury just seemed to float around and he hasn't done anything yet.

Frankie
05-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I remember the Chiefs were very high on Matt Jones and wanted to draft him in the 1st round. Maybe he should be brought in for a look. He's certainly has the physical tangibles.

StcChief
05-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Matt Jones and Pittsburgh Center Sean Mahan should be brought in for look

Mr. Laz
05-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Matt Jones, WR

wow ....... bust!!!

might be worth a look though as long as he signs for the minimum.

Demonpenz
05-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Did matt jones even have a chance to stand out? They run the ball and play defense and throw swing passes.

Chief Faithful
05-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Matt Jones, heck yeah! He would be a great fit in Gailey's offense.

tomahawk kid
05-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Sean Mahan was at Tampa Bay for 4 seasons with 36 starts, was Pittsburgh's starting center (16 starts) last year but then the Steelers signed Justin Hartwig so may be on the way out. Sean will turn 28 later this month.

Atwaan Randle El had arthoscopic knee surgery but I don't think it was any big deal and he should be practicing by June.

Thanks.

If that's the case, I think you bring the kid in for a look-see.

tomahawk kid
05-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Also - why did Pitt sign Hartwig?

Did Mahan suck it up last season?

RustShack
05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I think Robinson wins the slot job at worst. He could easily come in here and be the number 2, depending on how fast he can learn the offense. If he's dedicated he's the 2nd most talented receiver on our team. I really hope we sign this guy for the right price.

I was talking about the one we drafted, Koren would probably be our #2 reciever if we drafted him. Everyone on offense is going to be learning Gaileys offense, so Robinson is on the same page as everyone else right now.

Wilson8
05-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Maybe it is a false sense of security, but I’m feeling pretty good about most of the positions for the Chiefs. So unless a very valuable free agent player can be signed by the Chiefs, I like where they are at for 2008.
FB – Oliver Hoyte and Mike Cox
RB – Larry Johnson, Jamaal Charles, and Kolby Smith
QB – Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard, and Tyler Thigpen
TE – Tony Gonzalez, Brad Cottam, and Michael Allan
WR – Dwayne Bowe, Devard Darling, Will Franklin, Kevin Robinson (PR/KR), and either Jeff Webb or Bobby Sippio.
OL – Brian Waters, Damon McIntosh, Branden Albert, Rudy Niswanger, Herb Taylor, Barry Richardson and a battle for the last 3 or 4 spots with Tre Stallings, Anthony Alabi, Adrian Jones, Will Svitek, Wade Smith, and Chris McDuffie.
DT – Glenn Dorsey, Tank Tyler, Ron Edwards, and maybe T.J. Jackson or Maurice Murray.
DE – Tamba Hali, Turk McBride, Alfonso Boone, and Brian Johnston
CB – Patrick Surtain, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, Tyron Brackenridge, and Dimitri Patterson, Maurice Leggett, and Rashad Barksdale fighting for the last 1 or 2 slots.
S – Jarrad Page, Bernard Pollard, DaJuan Morgan, and Jon McGraw. I assume that Greg Wesley will be gone through cut or trade.
LB – Derrick Johnson, Donnie Edwards, Napoleon Harris, Demorrio Williams, and a group of special teamers in Pat Thomas, Johnny Baldwin, Nate Harris, and Steve Octavien to compete for three positions. I’d like to have at least one more guy that would replace one of the special teamers that could come in and start if needed.
LS – Jean-Philippe Darche
P - Dustin Colquitt
K – One of the three, Connor Barth, Nick Novak, or Billy Cundiff.

So after reviewing this list, questions for me would be offensive line, kicker, linebacker, and one defensive line position.

BigChiefFan
05-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Did matt jones even have a chance to stand out? They run the ball and play defense and throw swing passes.
Sounds like a perfect fit for our offense. Matt, can you block?:LOL:

Frankie
05-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Matt Jones, heck yeah! He would be a great fit in Gailey's offense.

I'm sure carl knows a lot about him. As I said the Chiefs looked at him long and hard before his draft. If he's any good we'll make a play for him.

blueballs
05-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Peterson is all about the reunions
Horn - Holliday or re-up Wesley

Micjones
05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Matt Jones and Mahan would be solid additions to this team.

CupidStunt
05-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Sean Mahan is trash. He'd be a horrible addition.

tomahawk kid
05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Sean Mahan is trash. He'd be a horrible addition.

Do tell.

Why?

CupidStunt
05-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Do tell.

Why?

Mahan became the poster boy for bad offensive line play this season, with his flailing and falling and occasionally managing a chop block. He's listed at 6'3" 301 lbs, which means that he's 6'2", 285 lbs after lunch. One of the reasons Mahan has struggled this season is that he's not big enough. For example, twice a year he needs to line up across from Haloti Ngata, who is listed at 6'4", 340 lbs. I'd list how big John Henderson is but there is no bio for him on NFL.com, because he killed it and ate it, then became upset and swatted a plane out of the sky with his hands.

Another reason Mahan had problems is that, unlike Dermontti Dawson, Jeff Hartings and Mike Webster, he is bad at football. Routinely, he missed assignments (how do you do that when you're the center?), slipped off of blocks and fell down, making him that special kind of offensive lineman who not only is himself awful but actually makes his teammates worse. For roughly the first nine weeks of the year, he actually even projected the snap by holding his head down, then lifting it to face his man exactly one beat before snapping the ball. But hey, that's not a big deal. Helping the defensive front seven beat the line off the snap on every single down for more than half a season? It's OK, we've got Sean ****ing Mahan to stop them.

There's a reason this guy was picked at the bottom of the fifth round in 2003. There's a reason he was mostly used as a flex backup by a team with a bad offensive line. There's a reason Cadillac Williams can't walk today. There's a reason for the Kennedy Assassination. There's a reason for "Saved by the Bell." There's a reason for the New World Order. That reason is Sean Mahan.

Mahan at this point projects to become an unreasonably expensive backup guard next season as he is inevitably supplanted by overachieving undrafted free agent Darnell Stapleton, who impressed both in camp and by engaging in nonstop rocking at Rutgers for four years, making him the first person in history about whom that can be said. Worst-case scenario, Stapleton can fall down and get trampled by the jailbreak for league minimum.

http://www.freetankcarter.com/2008/01/steelers-draft-season-asstacular.html

The following link could also help educate you --

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sean+mahan+awful&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Further than that, however, and you'll just have to watch a couple Steelers games to see how shit this guy is.

B_Ambuehl
05-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Bobby Carpenter has yet to get a chance to play so any evaluation of him is premature. Miami tried to trade for him a few weeks ago but Dallas wouldn't let him go.....they gave up Akin Ayodele instead.

TEX
05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Matt Jones, WR

wow ....... bust!!!

might be worth a look though as long as he signs for the minimum.

Yep. Especially since he played QB in college too. Might be worth it in Chan's offense...

TEX
05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Maybe it is a false sense of security, but I’m feeling pretty good about most of the positions for the Chiefs. So unless a very valuable free agent player can be signed by the Chiefs, I like where they are at for 2008.
FB – Oliver Hoyte and Mike Cox
RB – Larry Johnson, Jamaal Charles, and Kolby Smith
QB – Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard, and Tyler Thigpen
TE – Tony Gonzalez, Brad Cottam, and Michael Allan
WR – Dwayne Bowe, Devard Darling, Will Franklin, Kevin Robinson (PR/KR), and either Jeff Webb or Bobby Sippio.
OL – Brian Waters, Damon McIntosh, Branden Albert, Rudy Niswanger, Herb Taylor, Barry Richardson and a battle for the last 3 or 4 spots with Tre Stallings, Anthony Alabi, Adrian Jones, Will Svitek, Wade Smith, and Chris McDuffie.
DT – Glenn Dorsey, Tank Tyler, Ron Edwards, and maybe T.J. Jackson or Maurice Murray.
DE – Tamba Hali, Turk McBride, Alfonso Boone, and Brian Johnston
CB – Patrick Surtain, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, Tyron Brackenridge, and Dimitri Patterson, Maurice Leggett, and Rashad Barksdale fighting for the last 1 or 2 slots.
S – Jarrad Page, Bernard Pollard, DaJuan Morgan, and Jon McGraw. I assume that Greg Wesley will be gone through cut or trade.
LB – Derrick Johnson, Donnie Edwards, Napoleon Harris, Demorrio Williams, and a group of special teamers in Pat Thomas, Johnny Baldwin, Nate Harris, and Steve Octavien to compete for three positions. I’d like to have at least one more guy that would replace one of the special teamers that could come in and start if needed.
LS – Jean-Philippe Darche
P - Dustin Colquitt
K – One of the three, Connor Barth, Nick Novak, or Billy Cundiff.

So after reviewing this list, questions for me would be offensive line, kicker, linebacker, and one defensive line position.

Better take a look at WR too. YIKES!

Wilson8
05-12-2008, 04:28 PM
You make a good point about the WR group needing help. I'm being too optimistic but I also think it will take another year to really acquire the needed players. I'd like to give some of these players a chance this year and then fill in the holes next year with the draft and a few free agents.

chagrin
05-12-2008, 08:04 PM
gee guys, since all these dudes have talent and can play football, we should sign them all - they would all be a great fit, listen to me and STFU already!!!

this post brought to you by "planeteers against silliness"

aturnis
05-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Better take a look at WR too. YIKES!

I agree. RustShack may be too optimistic about Robinson, wonder if he knows something I don't. Also, the coach's and Bill (:wayne:)seemed very high on Luke Swan. Wonder if they could sneak someone onto the practice squad?