PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Bioshock to the big screen.

QuikSsurfer
05-12-2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18577

Publisher 2K Games, a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive, has announced an agreement with Universal Pictures to develop a film based on its first-person shooter BioShock, currently available for Xbox 360 and PC. Neither company has offered a likely date for the movie’s release or details on the agreement’s terms.

Gore Verbinski, director of Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, is slated to direct and produce the film. John Logan, Academy Award-nominated writer of Gladiator, The Aviator and Sweeney Todd, is currently in talks to write BioShock’s screenplay.

Developed by 2K Boston and 2K Australia, BioShock has sold over 2 million units worldwide since its release in August 2007. The game has also won several “Game of the Year” awards from organizations such as The Associated Press and the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Take-Two has already announced a sequel for 2009.

Said Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick: "We are excited that 2K Games' vision for BioShock will be carried forward in a new medium. BioShock has been hailed as one of the most highly cinematic and richly plotted titles in interactive entertainment, making it extremely well-suited to film. In partnering with Universal and Gore Verbinski, we have assembled a team that respects the uniqueness of BioShock and will translate it into a powerful movie experience."

Zelnick continued: "Our ability to attract a major studio and unparalleled creative team speaks volumes about the strength of our BioShock franchise. It also demonstrates how Take-Two is delivering value based on our strategy of creating and owning our industry's most powerful intellectual property."

QuikSsurfer
05-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Wonder where they will take this story... I'd like to see more of a focus on the creation and fall of Rapture than anything else.

Adept Havelock
05-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I predict Gore Verbinski and John Logan will leave the project and be replaced by Uwe Boll, in accordance with the prophecies.

QuikSsurfer
05-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I predict Gore Verbinski and John Logan will leave the project and be replaced by Uwe Boll, in accordance with the prophecies.

He's too busy with Alone in the Dark II and Far Cry (how the hell is this movie going to work?)

Adept Havelock
05-12-2008, 04:31 PM
He's too busy with Alone in the Dark II and Far Cry (how the hell is this movie going to work?)

Well, of course Verbinski and Logan will have to get bogged down in prolonged re-writes, negotiations, etc. to permit Uwe time to fulfill the prophecy. However, it is a movie based on a videogame, so Boll must direct it as was written in the most ancient texts.

I've never seen a film based on a video game that was remotely worth a damn. I'll be amazed if anyone can pull off that feat.

QuikSsurfer
05-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Well, of course Verbinski and Logan will have to get bogged down in prolonged re-writes, negotiations, etc. to permit Uwe time to fulfill the prophecy. However, it is a movie based on a videogame, so Boll must direct it as was written in the most ancient texts.

I've never seen a film based on a video game that was remotely worth a damn. I'll be amazed if anyone can pull off that feat.

ROFL

With the exception of Silent Hill - yeah, they're all garbage.

edit: A few of the Resident Evil movies did okay, no?

Frazod
05-12-2008, 08:11 PM
The game already plays like a movie. I really fail to see the point of this. But if it's done well, why not?

kcxiv
05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
I swear, that avatar looks like a trap.

Adept Havelock
05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
ROFL

With the exception of Silent Hill - yeah, they're all garbage.

edit: A few of the Resident Evil movies did okay, no?

They did OK in the box office, but they didn't do much for me other than giving me an opportunity to watch Milla kick ass. That's a good thing, just not enough to make them good movies, IMO. I know some folks loved them, and that's fine. They just aren't my thing.

oaklandhater
05-13-2008, 02:55 AM
They did OK in the box office, but they didn't do much for me other than giving me an opportunity to watch Milla kick ass. That's a good thing, just not enough to make them good movies, IMO. I know some folks loved them, and that's fine. They just aren't my thing.

Most RE fans will Glady tell you that the RE movies suck and are nothing like the game Paul ws Anderson is on the same lvl as Uwe boll to some Gamers .

Miles
05-13-2008, 03:59 AM
Most RE fans will Glady tell you that the RE movies suck and are nothing like the game Paul ws Anderson is on the same lvl as Uwe boll to some Gamers .

The 1st and 3rd Resident Evil movies were nothing great but still pretty enjoyable. Hardly Uwe Boll level.

Hell even Doom would be considered a masterpiece when compared with Boll flicks.

Kraus
05-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I just picked this game up, I've been hearing a lot about it. Hopefully they can pull of at least a decent movie.

MTG#10
05-13-2008, 11:44 AM
If they do it right it could be a great movie. Playing the game feels like you're in a creepy, twisted movie anyway.