PDA

View Full Version : Life Spinoff : How do you discipline your kids in public ?

ROYC75
05-13-2008, 01:32 PM
From BigDaddy's thread......... ( Sorry if this is a repost, I seem to recall some discussions about kids before.)

How do you discipline your kid(s) when out in public ?

What is enough and how extreme do you go ? Or do you wait until you get home ?

I ask this cause as a child, ( I was not abused by any means) When I done something wrong, If it was serious enough, I got it , no matter where it was at. Now times have changed and now you damn near need a written letter from the local authorities to punish your child, I ask ........ How do you discipline your child ?

My wife will all the time call me down, or one of my daughters when I get onto one of the grand kids. Nothing severe mind you, it's that they do not want to be seen in public correcting the kids, like it is some degrading way to them, that it humiliates them and waits until they get home to correct them.

I'm old school, I do it on the spot ( all within it's limits ) .

ClevelandBronco
05-13-2008, 01:36 PM
On the rare occasions that I think my kids are out of line I mutter a threat about later punishment.

The anticipation is chilling to them.

I try never to react emotionally in the same minute. I have all the time in the world to imaging and exact a suitable consequence for poor behavior.

Bugeater
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
On the spot for me too. Otherwise they'll get the idea that it's OK to act up in public.

seclark
05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
when my kids were younger all i had to do was give them the "look", and they knew they were in for it when we got home. my wife would take care of the situation right then.

my grandchildren however, are perfect.
sec

ROYC75
05-13-2008, 01:43 PM
On the spot for me too. Otherwise they'll get the idea that it's OK to act up in public.

I do this, too many times the kids will take advantage of the woman and continue cause they got away with it. Sure they got it at home, but the nonsense continues until the woman is furious when correcting them.

Now if it is serious enough for a but whipp'n, now days most people wait cause , like I said, you almost need a written permission slip from the local police. People stare at you and want to turn you in for child abuse.

RNR
05-13-2008, 01:44 PM
My kids are grown so times have changed I am sure. Grounding was the most used although there were times when I spanked. I used my hand and sting would be the effect (my dad on the other hand felt very different about this lol) One time my son was around 7 or 8 and started throwing a fit in JC Pennys I warned to knock it off. He didnt and I marched over behind a display and lit his fanny. He never pulled that on me again.

Pablo
05-13-2008, 01:45 PM
I wait until they're 19 and then berate them in a crowded mall-like atmosphere.

RNR
05-13-2008, 01:46 PM
ROFL

FAX
05-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I give them a swat, tie their hands behind their little backs, and pour ketchup on their heads.

FAX

Bugeater
05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I do this, too many times the kids will take advantage of the woman and continue cause they got away with it. Sure they got it at home, but the nonsense continues until the woman is furious when correcting them.
Oh yeah, that too. I'm not going to wait to put an end to the behavior.
Now if it is serious enough for a but whipp'n, now days most people wait cause , like I said, you almost need a written permission slip from the local police. People stare at you and want to turn you in for child abuse.
I've rarely resorted to getting physical, and if I did it was just grabbing him by the arm or something to that effect so he knew I was serious. A little public humiliation goes a long way.

angelo
05-13-2008, 02:03 PM
I do not have children of my own. If I am out with my niece or nephew and they act up we leave immediately. I don't care what the situation is be it dinner or a movie or shopping.

It only took a couple of times before they realized I would not put up with that kind of behavior. I think what really drove it home was when we went out for my nieces birthday dinner. We went to her favorite restaurant a 50 mile round trip
and waited for thirty minutes (even though we had a reservation) to be seated. Once we sat down and ordered she started being snotty to her aunt. I warned her to stop or we would leave she didn't believe me. I stood up went to the manager paid for our drinks canceled our food order gave the waiter a $20 dollar tip and we left.

She got nothing for her birthday dinner. When her mom found out she made her come to our house and work of the $20.00 tip plus gas money doing yard chores .

Brock
05-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Discipline them properly at home, then you don't have to worry about what happens in public.

ClevelandBronco
05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I do not have children of my own. If I am out with my niece or nephew and they act up we leave immediately. I don't care what the situation is be it dinner or a movie or shopping.

It only took a couple of times before they realized I would not put up with that kind of behavior. I think what really drove it home was when we went out for my nieces birthday dinner. We went to her favorite restaurant a 50 mile round trip
and waited for thirty minutes (even though we had a reservation) to be seated. Once we sat down and ordered she started being snotty to her aunt. I warned her to stop or we would leave she didn't believe me. I stood up went to the manager paid for our drinks canceled our food order gave the waiter a $20 dollar tip and we left.

She got nothing for her birthday dinner. When her mom found out she made her come to our house and work of the $20.00 tip plus gas money doing yard chores .

She has a great mom. And a very good uncle.

Rooster
05-13-2008, 02:11 PM

LMAO Well done. LMAO

Mile High Mania
05-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I typically mace them and then say ... "Do it again... DO IT AGAIN"

Sully
05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Taser.

ChiefsFanatic
05-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Discipline them properly at home, then you don't have to worry about what happens in public.

I agree. I got my ass beat when I did something wrong, and so do my kids. Well, they did anyway, but now they only need the threat of it. Ok, maybe I only whipped them each a couple of times, and I hated it everytime.

But, I will say this, when we are flipping channels and come across Supernanny, I have no doubt that if I had not whipped my kids, they would be acting exactly like some of those unbelievable brats. I see that show and immediately think that if the parents had used a little corporal punishment, their kids would not be acting that way.

FAX
Taser.

I can hear their tiny, little voices, now, "Don't tase me dad, bro!"

FAX

Rooster
I grab there hands and use their own hands to slap them as I say "quit hitting yourself.......quit hitting yourself". It doesn't really work but it is really fun. o:-)

Braincase
05-13-2008, 02:24 PM
All it typically takes on my part is the "pissed-off dad look" and they straighten right up. With my youngest daughter, she'll start crying when she just gets the look.

Three things I expect from my kids... Love, Respect and Fear. I rarely have to spank, it's usually enough for me to give 'em a look, or chew 'em out a little.

seclark
05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
now my stepfather...he beat me like an ugly stepchild.
sec

dj56dt58
05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
antifreeze

What? someone had to say it :thumb:

I never misbehaved in public but i would walk through the store saying shit a lot..never got in trouble because I was young and had picked it up probably from my dad. Embarrassed my mom though

What I can't stand is when kids mis behave in the store and their parents(usually mom) will buy them whatever they want to shut them up

dj56dt58
05-13-2008, 02:27 PM

true..if they know they won't be punished in the store they should at least fear the punishment at home...

tooge
05-13-2008, 02:47 PM
the look works for me, but not from mom. If they dont listen, I tie them down and pour water over thier faces to stimulate drowning until the concede. Hey, its government approved.

BigVE
05-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I was lucky, my kids were pretty good the few rare instances they were out in public (restaurants). We were on a pretty tight budget when the kids were little so we didn't go out and eat very often. They were never in daycare, my wife stayed home with them until they were in 1st grade. They were well raised and disciplined at home and it carried over to wherever we went. My kids were NEVER the screaming loud brats that you see out and about now-a-days here and there. I didn't tolerate it at home so they knew better than to try it in public. Most kids act like that because they are ALLOWED to. As for the occasions that I did have to discipline in public...all it took was words and anytime it needed to go further (aka a swat on the behind) it was NOT done in public. In my opinion public humiliation does more damage at times than physical actions.

bogey
05-13-2008, 03:09 PM
My 10 year old kid is so concerned about public humiliation, her acting up in public is not an issue for us.

QuikSsurfer
05-13-2008, 03:24 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/quikssurfer/TWHACK.gif

teedubya
05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
I get all dressed up in my Iranian clothes, and cuss de evil Amediga that has corrupted my child.

Micjones
05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
My son knows not to test my nuts in public (or any other place for that matter), but if he does I will find a restroom or an area less public and whoop his little ass.

My mother would never have allowed me to embarrass her publicly. She would've torn the skin off of my behind correcting me.

People need to stop sparing the rod.
Not every child requires this kind of punishment, but some absolutely do.

Skip Towne
05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Every parent needs to develop "The Look". It works every time.

Bowser
05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Every parent needs to develop "The Look". It works every time.

Agreed.

Micjones
05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
"The Look" works for parents who have control of their children already.
That definitely works for me. But for some parents... Kids laugh at "The Look".

Skip Towne
05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
"The Look" works for parents who have control of their children already.
That definitely works for me. But for some parents... Kids laugh at "The Look".

You have to reinforce "the look" early on with a sharp backhand to the chops.

Ultra Peanut
05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IFX9OHZKuJM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IFX9OHZKuJM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Micjones
05-13-2008, 04:06 PM
You have to reinforce "the look" early on with a sharp backhand to the chops.

Haha...
Indeed.

kcxiv
05-13-2008, 04:15 PM
While i dont have any kids, my dads favorite like was, wait until we ****ing get home. lol

talastan
05-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Usually find the nearest bathroom and spank them if necessary. Otherwise the "Look" usually works. There have been a couple of times where additional punishment was necessary, IE. Throwing a fit in public, screaming, etc.

Then IMO it is appropriate to give them a swat right there in front of everyone. If they're going to embarass me in public, then they can share in the embarassment themselves. No law in the state of Missouri against spanking.......Yet! (F*%king bleeding heart liberals!!!) :cuss:

Another punishment that works well for ADHD kids, or those kids that don't get phased by spanking; Make them stand at "Attention" like a little soldier for a few minutes. I usually do a minute for each year of their age. ( 5 mins for a 5 year old.) This isn't great in store, but at home my kids HATE it and don't pull crap because of it.

Spicy McHaggis
05-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't have kids but when I served tables I often wished I had a tranquilizer gun for some customers' children.

Then when I started bar tending I found that some drunken 40 year olds are just as annoying.

FAX
05-13-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't have kids but when I served tables I often wished I had a tranquilizer gun for some customers' children.

Then when I started bar tending I found that some drunken 40 year olds are just as annoying.

LMAO

FAX

ChiefaRoo
05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/buyingguy/beatkid41.jpg

listopencil
05-13-2008, 08:26 PM
I usually just have to say their name in a very clear, loud voice to make eye contact. Then...The Look. Works pretty good.

listopencil
05-13-2008, 08:27 PM
...and if they act up in public I stop taking them places with me for about a week.

LiL stumppy
05-13-2008, 08:28 PM
NSFW

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E_mfUmyyjJQ

RaidersFan
05-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I used to spank. No more. Now I give jumping jacks. I will give a warning. If the warning is not heeded they jump. Fifty is the baseline and it goes up from there. My kids know I will do it. I had my 17 yo daughter doing jumping jacks beside the road the other day for failing to stop singing inappropriate lyrics in front of my 8 yo. It's awesomely effective.

FAX
05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I used to spank. No more. Now I give jumping jacks. I will give a warning. If the warning is not heeded they jump. Fifty is the baseline and it goes up from there. My kids know I will do it. I had my 17 yo daughter doing jumping jacks beside the road the other day for failing to stop singing inappropriate lyrics in front of my 8 yo. It's awesomely effective.

This is why I like ChiefsPlanet ... you learn something every day.

I thought raider fans just increased the amperage on the radio collars.

FAX

wutamess
05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Well we were taught that if you act qa fool in public you can get disciplined in public. My kids are taught no different. They'd get a whoopin in public if it's call for but I tend to be more conspicuous when disciplining out in public like a pinch or whisper in their ear with a stern voice or something.

ChiefaRoo
05-13-2008, 09:46 PM

FAX

LMAO

Skip Towne
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM

I'll bet that caused much jiggling. I love jiggling.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
During Jemimah's Witnesses meetings, if I acted up, my dad would take me out in the lobby in the middle of the session and beat my ass with his belt.

Seems a bit harsh in retrospect.

Brock
05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
It apparently didn't work.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2008, 09:59 PM

It worked like a charm. I was a very well behaved teenager who never rebelled. I was never even grounded.

Today I am a law-abiding citizen with a healthy respect for the law. I don't even like going 10 miles over the speed limit.

Brock
05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Those things may be true, no offense but you're still sort of creepy, and nothing personal but your station at this point in your life would disappoint any parent.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Those things may be true, no offense but you're still sort of creepy, and nothing personal but your station at this point in your life would disappoint any parent.

At least I didn't turn out to be a COMPLETE DICK like some people.

LiL stumppy
05-13-2008, 10:04 PM
During Jemimah's Witnesses meetings, if I acted up, my dad would take me out in the lobby in the middle of the session and beat my ass with his belt.

Seems a bit harsh in retrospect.

I bet thats why you like to be spanked by guys, they say a girl looks for a person in her life that is just like her father. It all makes since now.

Brock
05-13-2008, 10:06 PM
At least I didn't turn out to be a COMPLETE DICK like some people.

Are you sure you didn't? Because, history.

RaidersFan
05-13-2008, 10:39 PM

FAX

LOL, most do
ahhh the good old days

05-13-2008, 11:31 PM
The "look" usually covers it for me. In public anyway. At home they really push it though. heh

Thig Lyfe
05-13-2008, 11:44 PM

I'm not getting the reference...

what did I miss?

FAX
05-13-2008, 11:51 PM

what did I miss?

A reference to the Thread Of Endless Discontent, Mr. SportsRacer. Started by Mr. BIG_DADDY. Somewhere on the front page. Having to do with Iranian mall rats and their wicked ways.

FAX

Bugeater
05-13-2008, 11:56 PM

what did I miss?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184626

keg in kc
05-14-2008, 01:29 AM
I don't have kids, so I can't give a 'me' answer, but I've seen lots of parents in malls over the years giving their kids blistering tongue-lashings, yanking them around by the arm(s), and a few times I've seen some pretty solid smacks. It's usually kids who were misbehaving badly and my guess is that those kids are/were already so screwed-up by their home life (and lack of discipline/good parenting (whatever that is, I don't have kids...)) that there's no fixing it at that point.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2008, 02:39 AM

You're joking, right?

Have you ever come across a more sexually repressed, attention whore in your entire life?

Whether he knows it or not, his parents behavior molded him into the person he is today.

No offense, Clayton.

You're just the prime of example of parents gone wrong.

I hope you can deal and move beyond it.

Skip Towne
05-14-2008, 06:02 AM
It worked like a charm. I was a very well behaved teenager who never rebelled. I was never even grounded.

Today I am a law-abiding citizen with a healthy respect for the law. I don't even like going 10 miles over the speed limit.

How about the time you wouldn't take off your hat in the restaurant?

KCCHIEFS27
05-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I Waterboard them with the local lobster tank..

Hootie
05-14-2008, 12:58 PM

damn I would love to watch your 17 year old do jumping jacks...you sick perv...

FAX
05-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Dr. Phil says that one should not discipline one's child in a restaurant or mall. Rather, they should put them on a tv talk show and demean the living crap out of them before millions of drooling morons on disability.

FAX

Hammock Parties
05-14-2008, 04:15 PM
How about the time you wouldn't take off your hat in the restaurant?

I got over that. I don't even wear hats out anymore.

Skip Towne
05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I got over that. I don't even wear hats out anymore.

I have you pictured wearing a backward baseball cap.

el borracho
05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
From BigDaddy's thread......... ( Sorry if this is a repost, I seem to recall some discussions about kids before.)

How do you discipline your kid(s) when out in public ?

What is enough and how extreme do you go ? Or do you wait until you get home ?

I ask this cause as a child, ( I was not abused by any means) When I done something wrong, If it was serious enough, I got it , no matter where it was at. Now times have changed and now you damn near need a written letter from the local authorities to punish your child, I ask ........ How do you discipline your child ?

My wife will all the time call me down, or one of my daughters when I get onto one of the grand kids. Nothing severe mind you, it's that they do not want to be seen in public correcting the kids, like it is some degrading way to them, that it humiliates them and waits until they get home to correct them.

I'm old school, I do it on the spot ( all within it's limits ) .

What did III do this time?

kstater
05-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Find the nearest willow tree and cut a switch.

stumppy
05-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Thinking back, I can't remember any particular time I had to. My kids new what "the look" meant. They also knew what would happen when we got home if they crossed the line.

Micjones
05-14-2008, 05:21 PM

It would seem to me that it worked then Goatse.

KcMizzou
05-14-2008, 05:27 PM
My mom used to grab the back of my arm near my armpit with her nails, and escort me to the car. I hated that.

RaidersFan
05-14-2008, 06:27 PM
damn I would love to watch your 17 year old do jumping jacks...you sick perv...

ummm, I'm a mom

Brock
05-14-2008, 06:29 PM
ummm, I'm a mom

cup sz plz

Hammock Parties
05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
ummm, I'm a mom

MILF ALERT I'LL PUT SOME DETERGENT IN YOUR SPIN CYCLE OHHHHHH MAMA

RaidersFan
05-14-2008, 11:27 PM
cup sz plz

maybe this size....

Pablo
05-14-2008, 11:30 PM
maybe this size....Your breasts are incredibly odd shaped and ugly.

memyselfI
05-15-2008, 07:36 AM
I don't. I tell them we'll address this later. That usually fills them with trepidation of what is to come. By then I've had a chance to calm down and figure out how to best handle the situation and they've been stewing for so long that whatever punishment I dish out sounds reasonable to them because they've been anticipating the worst.

We once saw a father of one of my son's teammates dressing him down in front of his teammates and parents. The look of humiliation on that poor child's face was heartbreaking. The father was thought of as a taco short of a platter and his inappropriate actions towards his son did nothing to convince us otherwise. I doubt whatever the father was trying to tell the kid sunk in because he looked like he had checked out and was some place else less humiliating.

HMc
05-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I was always threatened with the belt when i played up bigtime. I don't think i ever actually got it, but holy shit dad used to brandish it in a manner that shut me up good.

HMc
05-15-2008, 08:43 AM

vid + upload plz

ps:"failing to stop singing"? Are you a cop, or just naturally verbose?

dtebbe
05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
We use the same principle as Nuclear Deterrent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction)

Use your imagination...

DT

Easy 6
05-15-2008, 11:34 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/buyingguy/beatkid41.jpg

Oh hell yeah, i always leave the Maddox X Mission site in tears & side pains of laughter...anyone who isnt familiar should go check it out ASAP.