PDA

View Full Version : News Picher Ok pics.

btlook1
05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com:80/webextra/content/2008/slideshows/picher_tornado/index.aspx

Here's a link to some photos of Picher Ok. Amazing!

barry_smilez20
05-14-2008, 07:14 PM
holy crap

Hydrae
05-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Damn

J Diddy
05-14-2008, 07:46 PM
geez that was pretty bad

el borracho
05-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Strange to think how quickly I can scan through those photos (most of them are pretty similar) and yet each of those photos illustrate the complete and utter rape of people's lives. Sad.

Marcellus
05-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Picher has been through hard times. The Federal Govt. dropped millioins and millions of $ there on lead clean up in yards. That didn't work and they were in the process of buying the town out tosolve the problem. A lot of people had already moved and thats probably why there weren't more people killed.

My exbrother and sister in law lived there until about 3 years ago.

BTlook1, where do you live in SE Kansas? I live south of Galena.

jidar
05-14-2008, 07:57 PM
although if you had ever been to picher you'd know it's not that much different now than it was before the tornado.

Marcellus
05-14-2008, 08:01 PM
although if you had ever been to picher you'd know it's not that much different now than it was before the tornado.

Sad but somewhat true.

Skip Towne
05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Channel 6 in Tulsa just got their newscopter back and we have been seeing footage of the aftermath all week. Also, some dude got some great pics of the tornado as it approached. We just saw those today so they should be in The World tomorrow.

J Diddy
05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Picher has been through hard times. The Federal Govt. dropped millioins and millions of $ there on lead clean up in yards. That didn't work and they were in the process of buying the town out tosolve the problem. A lot of people had already moved and thats probably why there weren't more people killed.

agreed about picher

used to live in galena, moved shortly after the tornado that almost hit them then veered off and crushed Carl Junction

Skip Towne
05-14-2008, 08:16 PM

South of Galena? Are you still in Kansas?

Archie F. Swin
05-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Were those old homes that were in poor condition prior to the tornado?

Marcellus
05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
South of Galena? Are you still in Kansas?

Yup.Unfortunately.

Marcellus
05-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Were those old homes that were in poor condition prior to the tornado?

Most of them. I drove through there many times and wondered why and how Picher still existed.

It seems that these types of things usually hit poorer areas rather than wealthier ones.

btlook1
05-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Iola area here...

teedubya
05-14-2008, 09:44 PM
I didn't see ONE basement in those pics. WTF. You live in Oklahoma.

C-Mac
05-14-2008, 11:19 PM

I think there might have been one in pic 52, but your right its amazing..... there are more pools than basements.

leviw
05-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Brings back memories:

http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/

Rukdafaidas
05-15-2008, 04:31 AM
The same tornado continued and hit even harder in an area north of Seneca, MO. Luckily, it was a very rural area, but still killed 16 people. I think most of the killed were traveling Hwy. 43 and were stuck in the path of this tornado.
Some of the stories I heard from an owner of a feed store in that area were amazing. He said he had a large truck, filled with grain, that was blown 1/4 mile. He said he had a floor safe that was anchored 4" deep in concrete get blown away. He also said that people have found parts of his signs in Aurora and Mt. Vernon, MO, which is around 60 miles away.

kepp
05-15-2008, 07:00 AM

I noticed that too. They all look like those track homes that get thrown up in a couple of days on a concrete slab. Just a slight step up from a mobile home in terms of safety.

Stinger
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Chief's fan in picture 37 .... noticed the logo on Jacket