PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Color the Chiefs wide receivers green

Tribal Warfare
05-14-2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/620524.html (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/620524.html)

Color the Chiefs wide receivers green

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

It’s a good thing for the Chiefs that Herm Edwards has a fondness for young players. Otherwise, he’d have nothing to like about their wide receivers.
The only established player at the position, Dwayne Bowe, is all of 23. The old man of the group, Arena League veteran Bobby Sippio, is 27, and he’s not guaranteed to make the team.
But age isn’t necessarily the problem. A lack of accomplishments is. Bowe led all rookie receivers last year with 70 catches and 995 yards. Otherwise, Jeff Webb has two career starts, free-agent addition Devard Darling one, and the rest of the wide receivers either haven’t played in an NFL game or haven’t caught a pass in one.
“Is it a star-studded group? Is it household names? Maybe just one: Dwayne Bowe,” Edwards said. “But we’ve got some other guys who have a chance. They just have to go play.”
This can’t be what Edwards had in mind when the Chiefs cleared out two former starters, Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker, during the offseason. Or maybe it is.
The collection screams for the addition of a veteran even just as a safety net in case Webb, Darling, fourth-round draft pick Will Franklin of Missouri and all of the other wide receivers prove unworthy of a starting spot or playing time.
But Edwards said if the Chiefs sign a receiver, it wouldn’t be until after training camp has started.
“If we’re sitting there in the middle of the preseason and we don’t have a second receiver, there’s going to be a veteran receiver out there, a one-year Band-Aid if you’ve got to go that way,” he said. “But I don’t want to go that way. I really don’t. I would really like to stay away from that.”
The Chiefs have 10 wide receivers. The group also includes sixth-round pick Kevin Robinson, who was drafted mostly for his ability as a kick returner; Maurice Price, who spent all of last season as a rookie on the injured-reserve list; and three players signed after the draft.
Their best hope for immediate help lies with Webb and Darling. Webb was second among Chiefs wide receivers in catches last year with 28.
That’s a decent number considering that Webb didn’t play as much as Kennison or Parker and that the Chiefs had considerable offensive problems.
“I was the fourth receiver for a lot of the season,” Webb said. “I know I had a couple of big games against Cincinnati and the Jets and some other big catches, but I should have done better to drag my feet against Green Bay because we could have won that game if I had put my feet down.
“It goes with experience. If I have that same opportunity again, I guarantee you I’ll drag my feet.”
Webb was referring to a long sideline pass against the Packers that went incomplete. A catch probably would have given the Chiefs an upset win.
He will make good on his promise to make the catch in-bounds if he improves as much this year as he did last season. He was mainly a special-teams player as a rookie in 2006.
“If you look at my stats since my freshman year of college, I gradually move up every year,” Webb said. “My catches get higher, my yards get higher. The same thing happened from my rookie year to last year.
“The job’s not going to be given to me. But I’m comfortable competing for it. I got used to what it was like to play in the NFL last year. It’s basically my job to lose. I’m not going into camp thinking that way, but it’s an open opportunity to win the job, and that’s how I’m approaching it.”
Darling did little to distinguish himself in four seasons playing for Baltimore. Eighteen of his 20 career catches and all three of his touchdowns came last season.
The Ravens thought so little of Darling that during his time in Baltimore they signed veteran receiver Derrick Mason and drafted Mark Clayton in the first round.
“The field got crowded for him,” former Baltimore coach Brian Billick said. “It comes to a point where you can’t keep them all. It became a numbers game more than anything else.”
The Chiefs are hoping Darling is a late bloomer. He’s 6 feet 1, 215 pounds and is fast.
“He has a limited football background because of the fact he comes from the islands,” Billick said of Darling, who is from the Bahamas. “But he got better every year. There could be some great football ahead of him. He has the potential to do that.
“He’s got all of the physical skills. What he needs is a base of experience. He’s got the great speed, and he’s learning how to be a physical player. It’s not that he’s not willing. He’s got the physical ability to get off the line of scrimmage and overpower defensive backs, and then he’s got the speed to run away from them.”
Darling is the kind of player Edwards wanted in free-agency. He couldn’t earn playing time because of better players in Baltimore but that won’t necessarily be a problem with the Chiefs.
“They had some veteran guys, and it was hard for him to beat those guys out,” Edwards said. “He never really got the chance to play a whole lot. He was a special-teams guy, kind of a third receiver or fourth receiver.
“We just feel like he’s got something. He’s got some size. He’s got some speed. When you talk about a second receiver, you’re talking about that kind of guy.”

Hammock Parties
05-14-2008, 09:49 PM
I really hate how this board formats stuff from most websites. You have to insert all the spaces between paragraphs yourself. Is there any way we can fix that?

Pablo
05-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Nice to hear Webb apologize for his f*ck up against the Favres.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I really hate how this board formats stuff from most websites. You have to insert all the spaces between paragraphs yourself. Is there any way we can fix that?

Copy from whatever website to MS Notepad, then copy that to CP.

Fixed. Format saved.

BigRock
05-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Nice to hear Webb apologize for his f*ck up against the Favres.
If he makes that catch, we probably win the game. With 5 wins, we don't get Dorsey.

ATTA BOY, WEBB!

Hammock Parties
05-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Copy from whatever website to MS Notepad, then copy that to CP.

Fixed. Format saved.

Nice. Thanks.

Mecca
05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I find it funny to still see Teicher writing articles that have a win now flavor..

"This can't be what Edwards envisioned when he got rid of Kennison"

Hammock Parties
05-14-2008, 10:41 PM
I find it funny to still see Teicher writing articles that have a win now flavor..

Truth is it really doesn't matter who's playing #2 as long as they have some talent.

With Bowe and Gonzalez we have plenty of targets as long as the #3 and #4 guys aren't complete losers like Samie Parker.

Mecca
05-14-2008, 10:42 PM
It's just funny to me..

Do the Chiefs need another WR, yea just like they need a ton of other things they weren't gonna get them all in 1 year.

DeezNutz
05-14-2008, 10:48 PM
It's just funny to me..

Do the Chiefs need another WR, yea just like they need a ton of other things they weren't gonna get them all in 1 year.

Why is your avi of a muppet and not the USC cheerleader's skirt flying up during a football game a year or two ago? I'm just saying...get something more appropriate.

Mecca
05-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Why is your avi of a muppet and not the USC cheerleader's skirt flying up during a football game a year or two ago? I'm just saying...get something more appropriate.

The file of that is to big.....

Also I enjoy when people give me rep about how my av is offensive.

cdcox
05-14-2008, 10:59 PM
T aren't complete losers like Samie Parker.

Parker @ WR = Wesley @ Safety.

More talent than he can live up to on the field. Better than the player that will replace him, but lacks consistency to warrant the commitment of a spot as a long term starter. His own worst enemy.

DeezNutz
05-14-2008, 11:02 PM

Gotcha.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2008, 11:06 PM

Teicher's a hack, plain and simple.

He just phones in his work.

Of course, the whole KC Star is like that.

When was the last time that any real investigative journalism came from the KC Star?

talastan
05-14-2008, 11:06 PM

I'm soo offended by your av, your avi is really funny though!ROFL

tomahawk kid
05-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Teicher's a hack, plain and simple.

He just phones in his work.

Of course, the whole KC Star is like that.

When was the last time that any real investigative journalism came from the KC Star?

Exactly.

"Always Postive" Adam has been on this beat waaaaaaaay to long and it's painfully obvious in his writing.

He just plain doesn't give a sh!t anymore. He articles contain no more insight than the average fan could obtain just by paying attention.

The whole premise of this article? "The Chiefs wide recievers are young".

No f#cking sh!t Sherlock. So is the rest of the team.

Welcome to a legitimate rebuilding effort you hack.

keg in kc
05-15-2008, 06:21 AM
"Always Postive" Adam Always positive?

Teicher?

Wha?

Chiefnj2
05-15-2008, 07:12 AM
No excuses for Croyle this year with that group.

Hammock Parties
05-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Exactly.

"Always Postive" Adam has been on this beat waaaaaaaay to long and it's painfully obvious in his writing.

He just plain doesn't give a sh!t anymore. He articles contain no more insight than the average fan could obtain just by paying attention.

The whole premise of this article? "The Chiefs wide recievers are young".

No f#cking sh!t Sherlock. So is the rest of the team.

Welcome to a legitimate rebuilding effort you hack.

I don't think you understand what Teicher's job is.

His job isn't to give insight. It's to give the insight others provide, i.e. those he interviews and reports on.

I thought this was a good article. He certainly busted his ass over it, getting interviews with Herm, Webb and Billick. Good reporting.

tomahawk kid
05-15-2008, 07:54 AM
I don't think you understand what Teicher's job is.

His job isn't to give insight. It's to give the insight others provide, i.e. those he interviews and reports on.

I thought this was a good article. He certainly busted his ass over it, getting interviews with Herm, Webb and Billick. Good reporting.

Y'know - there's probably a joke in here somewhere about you considering this "good reporting" and the standards at Warpaint. I also have some insight into the world of journalism etc.

However - right now, I don't really care to get into a contest to see who can pee farther with you......

All I know is that when Ivan Carter helped cover the Chiefs for the Star, I found his pieces to be infinitely more entertaining and insightful.

keg in kc
05-15-2008, 07:58 AM
All I know is that when Ivan Carter helped cover the Chiefs for the Star, I found his pieces to be infinitely more entertaining and insightful.He was good. Difference is that he saw the Star as a stepping stone, while Teicher is more like a tenured professor biding his time 'til retirement.

boogblaster
05-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Green is a good color if it scores ...

tomahawk kid
05-15-2008, 08:01 AM
He was good. Difference is that he saw the Star as a stepping stone, while Teicher is more like a tenured professor biding his time 'til retirement.

OR Carter had too much talent to HAVE to hang around.

A-Bomb might not have a choice......

Hammock Parties
05-15-2008, 08:02 AM
All I know is that when Ivan Carter helped cover the Chiefs for the Star, I found his pieces to be infinitely more entertaining and insightful.

Ivan Carter didn't write much news. Mostly features. Those are more interesting, yes, but they take more time.

Not everything needs to be some outstanding piece of nobel-prize winning writing, though. For a slow time of the year, this was good stuff. I enjoyed it. I don't see anyone else calling up Brian Billick to get opinions on Devard Darling.

keg in kc
05-15-2008, 08:04 AM
OR Carter had too much talent to HAVE to hang around.

A-Bomb might not have a choice......My vote's with fat and happy over lack of talent. He'd have never gotten the job to start with lo those many years ago without some skills.

FloridaMan88
05-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Darling is the kind of player Edwards wanted in free-agency. He couldn’t earn playing time because of better players in Baltimore but that won’t necessarily be a problem with the Chiefs.

So in other words he was too crappy to earn PT in a mediocre Baltimore offense with unproductive WRs but he shouldn't have a problem getting PT or even starting in KC since the Chiefs' WR corp, collectively is the worst and least accomplished in the NFL.

Wonderful

tomahawk kid
05-15-2008, 08:21 AM
My vote's with fat and happy over lack of talent. He'd have never gotten the job to start with lo those many years ago without some skills.

Probably closer to the truth.

DaKCMan AP
05-15-2008, 08:21 AM
So in other words he was too crappy to earn PT in a mediocre Baltimore offense with unproductive WRs but he shouldn't have a problem getting PT or even starting in KC since the Chiefs' WR corp, collectively is the worst and least accomplished in the NFL.

Wonderful

We should have signed some 38 year old FA's because everything we have sucks and will never be good and we shouldn't even try to develop players only take on other team's castoffs and aging veteran FA's. /kcchiefsdumbass88

HMc
05-15-2008, 08:22 AM
To be fair to the guy, there's probably not an awful lot to write about at this point in time, and for those who havent got NFL News and Rumours piped into their brains 24/7 through some from-the-future hacked-up RSS reader (people who read the star, perhaps?), the article is probably quite informative.

tomahawk kid
05-15-2008, 08:22 AM

Wonderful

I don't know if it's so much that as he's had Kyle Boeller chucking him the rock for the majority of his career.

DaKCMan AP
05-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't know if it's so much that as he's had Kyle Boeller chucking him the rock for the majority of his career.

Or being stuck behind a very very good veteran in Derrick Mason and a 1st round pick in Mark Clayton, but why look at the facts objectively when he can :deevee: instead?

tomahawk kid
05-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Or being stuck behind a very very good veteran in Derrick Mason and a 1st round pick in Mark Clayton, but why look at the facts objectively when he can :deevee: instead?

Exactly - some supposed "Chiefs" fans need to find another team to follow.

Simple as that.

I'm not saying one shouldn't be jaded or maybe even have bouts of negativity after the past 20 or so years- but continually bitching about every move the team makes is just ridiculous.

Chief Henry
05-15-2008, 09:14 AM
I wish I could get excited about Chiefs football. Dammit Carl.

blueballs
05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
All young players want to do is get drunk/high and chase pussy

ChiefRon
05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Actually, I'm looking forward to see how these "green" receivers develop, although I wouldn't mind seeing a veteran signed at least for training camp to "show 'em the tricks of the trade."

Stupid roster limit.

Skip Towne
05-15-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm offended at not getting the cheerleader pic.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Wonderful

ya derrick mason really sucks :rolleyes:

CupidStunt
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
ya derrick mason really sucks :rolleyes:

Nevermind the politics. Mason = "big free agent addition" = starter, Mark Clayton = first-round pick = starter. And Demetrius Williams is pretty good. Oh, the horror of Darling being the fourth receiver on that team -- and actually making some plays in the games where he was thrown a couple balls.