PDA

View Full Version : Video Games OK fess up...Whos getting Wii Fit?

Deberg_1990
05-16-2008, 10:46 AM
You know you want it..and not just for the wife or girlfriend...

Ill admit, im intrigued....

http://www.nintendo.com/wiifit/

Demonpenz
05-16-2008, 11:15 AM
It should improve everyone's core and flexibility. I don't know about any changes in the way your body looks but atleast it could help with preventing injuries.

Demonpenz
05-16-2008, 11:17 AM
That would be sweet if they had a bike one or something where you could bike like lance arm strong and have unlockables and stuff. without the needle in the pee hole of course

Mr. Plow
05-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I'll admit that the Wii really interests me. Not only for the games, but for things like this. Just a different "gaming" experience.

I can't wait to get one.

DaFace
05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm considering it, but I'll probably wait until reviews come out on how good of a workout it really is before deciding to buy.

Demonpenz
05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
That would be funny if the just had you get in a push up position and sit up position and counted for you.

Deberg_1990
05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Bought it yesterday at Sams Club for $78.

Ive played it now a total of maybe an hour in the past day or two. IM impressed. The board is a pretty dang cool piece of technology.

I still think its more of a novelty and game than a replacement for the gym. I personally dont like doing pushups on a board and running in place much.

But the exercise games are pretty fun. To me it seems like more of a Wii party game like alot of their most popluar games.

Joie
05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I definitely do not regret buying the Wii. Wii Fit intrigues me....I want to learn a little more about it before I drop $80 though.

SithCeNtZ
05-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I bought it and it's tough to say if I would recommend it to any of you. On one hand, the balance board is a really nice piece of tech and you can use the game to help motivate you to do stuff like push ups which can help you in getting/staying in shape. Obviously it's not going to train you for marathons or anything like that, but it could be used on off days from the gym or days when you don't have time to go to the gym. I guess the board is being used in other future games, so at least you know it has some replay value down the road for your investment.

On the other hand, its a pretty shallow "game". You have your yoga exercises and basic activities like push ups, which are pretty standard fare. You really don't need the game to do a sit up or a lunge. The shallow part comes into play on the balance/aerobic exercise games. For instance, there is a hula-hoop exercise that requires you to replecate a hula-hoop swinging motion like you would in real life with a hula-hoop. The first few times you play it, it is exciting because it is new, but once the novelty of the board wears off, it's not really an activity you want to do over and over. It would help if they made the games have some depth, but very very few of them do. Skiing has a couple of different courses that you can run on, and some of them add a little extra challange once you play it so many times, but for the most part that is it.

In the end, to me, it sort of feels like the game is a glorified tech demo. If it was free and just came with the purchase of the board like wii sports was with the wii, it would be a great game. It does have some good qualities like I said in that if you need some motivation to do some workouts at home, it can help you stay on track. If that is something that appeals to you then it might be worth it. If you are looking for it to be a game that entertains you for hours with cool mini-games, then you might want to hold off and wait for the first "full" game that will use the board.

DaFace
05-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I bought it and it's tough to say if I would recommend it to any of you. On one hand, the balance board is a really nice piece of tech and you can use the game to help motivate you to do stuff like push ups which can help you in getting/staying in shape. Obviously it's not going to train you for marathons or anything like that, but it could be used on off days from the gym or days when you don't have time to go to the gym. I guess the board is being used in other future games, so at least you know it has some replay value down the road for your investment.

On the other hand, its a pretty shallow "game". You have your yoga exercises and basic activities like push ups, which are pretty standard fare. You really don't need the game to do a sit up or a lunge. The shallow part comes into play on the balance/aerobic exercise games. For instance, there is a hula-hoop exercise that requires you to replecate a hula-hoop swinging motion like you would in real life with a hula-hoop. The first few times you play it, it is exciting because it is new, but once the novelty of the board wears off, it's not really an activity you want to do over and over. It would help if they made the games have some depth, but very very few of them do. Skiing has a couple of different courses that you can run on, and some of them add a little extra challange once you play it so many times, but for the most part that is it.

In the end, to me, it sort of feels like the game is a glorified tech demo. If it was free and just came with the purchase of the board like wii sports was with the wii, it would be a great game. It does have some good qualities like I said in that if you need some motivation to do some workouts at home, it can help you stay on track. If that is something that appeals to you then it might be worth it. If you are looking for it to be a game that entertains you for hours with cool mini-games, then you might want to hold off and wait for the first "full" game that will use the board.

Cool...thanks for the "review." I've been trying to decide, so I'll probably just hold off for now.

Joie
05-23-2008, 06:55 PM

It doesn't come w/ any games? So my $80 just shot up closer to $120. No, thank you.

SithCeNtZ
05-23-2008, 07:26 PM
It doesn't come w/ any games? So my $80 just shot up closer to $120. No, thank you.

It has some games, just not alot and none of them are what you would call "deep". Skiing is a fun game and so is the marble madness style game that they have. The problem is there just isn't a whole lot of replay ability with them. You play the exact same levels in the marble madness game over and over. There are no power ups or items to spice things up. Just a ho-hum affair that is fun for a bit but isn't quite as exciting later on. I guess that was what I was mostly dissappointed about. They needed to make things exciting like wii sports. Wii sports has very very little depth. Baseball, for instance, has no stats or hitter rankings, no bullpen decisions, nothing. And yet it is something that you can play for quite a while because of the randomness of sports. You still have some control like what pitch you throw, so it's not all out of your hands. But wii fit makes no effort to do anything like that. When you play the skiing game, it's you versus yourself. No other characters, no power ups, no ramps to do tricks off of, no online races....those are just a few ideas that would make things more exicitng and yet it makes no effort to do that. I guess I expected the games to be more along those lines and I think they missed the mark in that regard.

Joie
05-23-2008, 08:34 PM
It has some games, just not alot and none of them are what you would call "deep". Skiing is a fun game and so is the marble madness style game that they have. The problem is there just isn't a whole lot of replay ability with them. You play the exact same levels in the marble madness game over and over. There are no power ups or items to spice things up. Just a ho-hum affair that is fun for a bit but isn't quite as exciting later on. I guess that was what I was mostly dissappointed about. They needed to make things exciting like wii sports. Wii sports has very very little depth. Baseball, for instance, has no stats or hitter rankings, no bullpen decisions, nothing. And yet it is something that you can play for quite a while because of the randomness of sports. You still have some control like what pitch you throw, so it's not all out of your hands. But wii fit makes no effort to do anything like that. When you play the skiing game, it's you versus yourself. No other characters, no power ups, no ramps to do tricks off of, no online races....those are just a few ideas that would make things more exicitng and yet it makes no effort to do that. I guess I expected the games to be more along those lines and I think they missed the mark in that regard.

It sounds like the kids would get bored easily with it. I don't play the Wii much, its more for Aces and the girls. But Wii Fit looked like something I could enjoy. Maybe they'll see the flaws and spice it up. All of us (including me, and I'm not a video game person) really enjoyed the bowling on Wii Sports. The girls and Aces got into the other games, too.

DeezNutz
05-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Review, fyi.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/875/875214p1.html

Deberg_1990
05-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Good review and pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Oh another thing worth mentioning is you accumulate points the longer you play. This unlocks other games and activities as you progress through the available games.

My fave game on there so far is the marble game.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-23-2008, 09:57 PM
It seems like it would be great for resistance training, but I pay a gym plenty of money to get in shape. I won't be getting it.

Deberg_1990
05-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Where Nintendo has been pure genius the past few years is bringing in the casual game fan with the Wii and the DS.

Thats pretty much what this game/program will appeal to mostly. Nintendo is very clever. Expanding their customer base beyond what Microsoft and Sony cater to.

BigRedChief
11-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Thinking of getting this for the in-laws. They are in the late 60's early 70's in age. Hearing that the WII fit is good for the aged to get some exercise.

What do you guys think? Wheres the place to get one?

Buehler445
11-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Thinking of getting this for the in-laws. They are in the late 60's early 70's in age. Hearing that the WII fit is good for the aged to get some exercise.

What do you guys think? Wheres the place to get one?

It's kind of cumbersome because you have to go through all the menus and shit. But it might be good for them if they already have a wii and know how to use it.

angelo
11-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I carefully bought it for my wife.

She seems very excited. I will let you know the outcome.

Ang

Galileo Humpkins
11-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I do this weird thing where I go outside and walk.

It's pretty cheap, too.

11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Got it for my wife 5 months ago. Hasn't been used in 4.5 months.

KCFalcon59
11-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Got it for my wife 5 months ago. Hasn't been used in 4.5 months.

I think she is mad at you. :D

Hammock Parties
11-30-2009, 12:41 AM
How about you get fit the non faggy way.

CHENZ A!
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
How about you get fit the non faggy way.

Play video games the non lazy way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jilly
11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I would LOVE one for Christmas, but it's too expensive. I def wouldn't be offended by it.

11-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I think she is mad at you. :DSo that is why she keeps asking for EA Sports Active.

Fish
11-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah..........

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v31qxrXsxv0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

BigRedChief
11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah..........

<OBJECT width=425 height=344>
&nbsp
&nbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v31qxrXsxv0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></OBJECT>
iF there is any chance of walking in while my 72 year old mother-in-law is doing that....maybe a walmart gift certificate?:hmmm: