PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Installing a toilet

Sully
05-17-2008, 08:36 AM
We are going to go buy a new toilet, and I have 2 questions...

1) Any recommendations? We have about $300 to work with.

2) Is it a job I can do on my own? My FIL has me a little worried about doing it... something about a wax seal. So should I find someone to help with it, or is it a pretty simple deal?

blueballs
05-17-2008, 08:39 AM
simple
jusgt smelly

Bugeater
05-17-2008, 08:40 AM
It's not hard, just scrape off the old wax seal and put on a new one. A caveman could do it.

Baby Lee
05-17-2008, 08:49 AM
We are going to go buy a new toilet, and I have 2 questions...

1) Any recommendations? We have about $300 to work with.

2) Is it a job I can do on my own? My FIL has me a little worried about doing it... something about a wax seal. So should I find someone to help with it, or is it a pretty simple deal?

1. Phobia will be along shortly with the batch and model # for the American Standard powerhouse he's so giddy about.

2. It's not the most difficult job, but it can have it's share of complicating factors. What's the flooring situation, tile, hardwood, carpet, linoleum? Each will have varying degrees of forgiveness. Any problems with level re: said flooring? Remove the old toilet before making any purchases so you can see what type of wax ring you'll need and how much play you'll have in the seating bolts [ie, how long/short they are].
If you have a level solid surface with a standard ring, and decent boltdowns, and you replace the old with substantially similar new, it's a snap. The more you vary from the old, the more McGuyvering you'll be in for.,

stumppy
05-17-2008, 08:55 AM
A caveman could do it.

Racist bastaige!!

cdcox
05-17-2008, 08:57 AM
American Standard Champion Series. <--- ****OFFICIAL toilet of ChiefsPlanet****

Lowes has them. Do what BL suggests as far as removing the old toilet before going shopping. You can probably take part of the old wax ring to Lowes and show it to them and they'll point you to its replacement.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-17-2008, 08:58 AM
get a Toto.

And buy 2 wax rings. Otherwise murphy's law says you will make 2 trips to Home Depot today.

They make non-wax rings, but I wouldn't recommend them.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-17-2008, 08:59 AM
http://www.performancetoilets.com/index.asp?source=adwords&gclid=CKKz1e7lrZMCFQ7WsgodHh1zow

Earthling
05-17-2008, 09:05 AM
I almost had a bad experience with replacing mine as the tank for the new toilet set back just a tad farther than the original. I had a VERY tight fit against the wall with the new toilet tank..Be sure you will have enough room for that :)

Also, if you are getting the wax seal from a major store you might want to get a seal of both different thickness..(There are two basic thickness of wax seals) That way you are sure to have the correct one and can just take the unused one back for refund..They are inexpensive. I say this because once you get to the wax seal in your old toilet it is sometimes impossible to tell how thick it was originally..JMHO

Phobia
05-17-2008, 09:05 AM
If you only have $300 with which to work, you'll be best served doing it yourself. I don't normally recommend homeowners install their own for a few of the reasons Baby Lee mentioned. Any slight problem and the installation is way over the head of the average homeowner.

The last time I encouraged an average homeowner to install their own (because I knew they didn't have the money to hire me) they informed me it had become a 3 day/2-weekend problem that challenged their marriage. Heh.

But as long as you feel the wax ring hit the bottom of the toilet and you press to fully seal it you'll be in good shape.

You do want the American Standard Champion series and they're available at either Home Depot or Lowes. I prefer the elongated version because they sit a little higher but you'll get the same flushing power with the round version and they're roughly $25 cheaper.

Phobia
05-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Regarding wax rings - rather than buying one $5 ring buy 2 $.99 rings and stack them. That's what we do usually.

Fairplay
05-17-2008, 09:07 AM
American standard and new seal wax. Thats about it.

They have different sizes of toilets. If you're or your loved was is taller then average, they have toilets higher up off the ground an inch or two.

The round stools women prefer. The oblong ones guys prefer.

Phobia
05-17-2008, 09:09 AM
get a Toto.

And buy 2 wax rings. Otherwise murphy's law says you will make 2 trips to Home Depot today.

They make non-wax rings, but I wouldn't recommend them.
Toto makes a quality product but they're in a slightly higher price point for similar performance to the Champion series.

cdcox
05-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Otherwise murphy's law says you will make 2 trips to Home Depot today.

Any project, not matter how small requires at least two trips to Home Depot.

Earthling
05-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Any project, not matter how small requires at least two trips to Home Depot.

Hehehe! True dat.

Fairplay
05-17-2008, 09:24 AM
As an added bonus, you can play a game out of this.

First person who christen the newly installed toilet (no. 2) gets a free dinner at their favorite mexican restaurant.

Only rule: Must proudly show proof to all to prove this before flushing.

Booby prize: If a guest does this first you will have bad luck, openly curse them and remove this person from house immediately.

Baby Lee
05-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Rather than me enumerating all the possible complications, this gives you an idea of what to prepare for;

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2replacetoilet

Bugeater
05-17-2008, 11:27 AM
If you only have $300 with which to work, you'll be best served doing it yourself. I don't normally recommend homeowners install their own for a few of the reasons Baby Lee mentioned. Any slight problem and the installation is way over the head of the average homeowner.

The last time I encouraged an average homeowner to install their own (because I knew they didn't have the money to hire me) they informed me it had become a 3 day/2-weekend problem that challenged their marriage. Heh.

But as long as you feel the wax ring hit the bottom of the toilet and you press to fully seal it you'll be in good shape.

You do want the American Standard Champion series and they're available at either Home Depot or Lowes. I prefer the elongated version because they sit a little higher but you'll get the same flushing power with the round version and they're roughly $25 cheaper.
Yikes, I've obviously underestimated the mechanical aptitude of the average caveman. Perhaps my earlier post should be stricken from the record.

acesn8s
05-17-2008, 11:31 AM
It's not hard, just scrape off the old wax seal and put on a new one. A caveman could do it.
It's so easy a Geico customer can do it.

milkman
05-17-2008, 11:36 AM
If you ever needed proof that the Planet has lost it's burst, this is it.

20 posts in and this thread hasn't been hijacked and turned into a poop thread.

acesn8s
05-17-2008, 11:40 AM
If you ever needed proof that the Planet has lost it's burst, this is it.

20 posts in and this thread hasn't been hijacked and turned into a poop thread.
Poop is important but a toilet is serious business.

Fairplay
05-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I had a plumber friend of mine install it, and thank god to find out.

He said that there was a cracked iron plate it was on and he had some trouble getting it out, something like that. So in that instance i was glad i had a professional put it in.

milkman
05-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Poop is important but a toilet is serious business.

No shit.

blueballs
05-17-2008, 11:45 AM
what postion were you in the middle of
when it all came crashing down

Sully
05-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
I think I'll put it off till next weekend so I can read up more on what to expect (thanks for the link BL).
My only experience with this is that my dad did one years ago (I was probably 10 years old) and all I remember is him cussing a lot. Pretty much the same type of atmosphere as when he tried to install a new belt on his old car. He's not around anymore, so I don't have that resource to ask what mistakes to learn from.
One thing I've learned by reading this is that I had no idea what went into this. I just kinda figured... go buy a toilet, pull out the old one, seat and seal the new one and poop. I guess not, huh?

Again... thanks everyone.

Donger
05-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I installed a toilet once. Once. Never again.

Baby Lee
05-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
I think I'll put it off till next weekend so I can read up more on what to expect (thanks for the link BL).
My only experience with this is that my dad did one years ago (I was probably 10 years old) and all I remember is him cussing a lot. Pretty much the same type of atmosphere as when he tried to install a new belt on his old car. He's not around anymore, so I don't have that resource to ask what mistakes to learn from.
One thing I've learned by reading this is that I had no idea what went into this. I just kinda figured... go buy a toilet, pull out the old one, seat and seal the new one and poop. I guess not, huh?

Again... thanks everyone.

So far was the physical installation goes, you have issues of making sure it's level and solid on the floor with a good seal on the wax, and having adequate bolt clearance to clamp it down to the floor. Nothing like getting everything assembled and finding out the unit rocks when you sit on it, or the wax seal is inaqeduate.

Then there's the issue of the water inlet connections, as well as the mechanisms inside the reservoir [flapper, shutoff, fresh water connection, etc.] But they've gotten the inside of the reservior practically down to 'idjet' level these days, just a matter of reading the instructions. You used to have a ton of stuff to fine tune, but it's nearly plug and play these days.

Fairplay
05-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Do the contest i suggested. It adds fun for the whole family.

Donger
05-17-2008, 12:49 PM
go buy a toilet, pull out the old one, seat and seal the new one and poop. I guess not, huh?

I thought the same thing. Here were my mistakes:

1) The toilet I replaced was in our master, which has a separate, little crapper room. Very little room.

2) I learned to hate the bolts that hold the toilet down, especially when trying to fit the new toilet over them. After laughing at me, the guys at Home Depot said to me, "You know that you're supposed to use some of the old wax ring to hold the bolts upright, so they don't flop around, right?"

3) Buy multiple wax rings. I think I went through four. And they are really fun to clean up.

4) It's virtually impossible to tell how far to tighten the nuts before you crack the crapper. Yes, it did that.

5) I was so worried that I had screwed something up, I couldn't force myself to flush that first time. Since you can't see the f*cking wax ring once the toilet is installed... My wife finally came in flushed it. I had visions of seven gallons of water flowing out all over the floor. Thankfully, it didn't.

ferrarispider95
05-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Maybe I got lucky, I have installed 2 with no problems at all.

Calcountry
05-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Be sure to take a shit in the hole when you have the toilette off. This allows for proper primer action for the seal to seat up and last a long time.

Phobia
05-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I think one of the biggest potential problems is often the shutoff valve for the water supply line no longer functions properly. Unless you really know your stuff you'll need a plumber type to replace that for you before you do anything at all.

If I were you, I'd save another $150 and call that Phil Kloster guy. He'll take good care of you.

Sully
05-17-2008, 04:51 PM
I think one of the biggest potential problems is often the shutoff valve for the water supply line no longer functions properly. Unless you really know your stuff you'll need a plumber type to replace that for you before you do anything at all.

If I were you, I'd save another $150 and call that Phil Kloster guy. He'll take good care of you.

How much do you charge for toilet work?

Phobia
05-17-2008, 04:56 PM
For $450 I'll buy an American Standard Champion, deliver, assemble, install, replace your shutoff, and haul off the old crapper.

Actually, I won't do it. My staff plumber will do it.

Deberg_1990
05-17-2008, 05:00 PM
For $450 I'll buy an American Standard Champion, deliver, assemble, install, replace your shutoff, and haul off the old crapper.

Question:

Why do so many new homes have these new low volume flush toilets? I assume they are trying to save you money since they use less water obviously.....but, you end up having to flush 2 or 3 times to keep the toilet from clogging up because they dont flush hard enough to get all the crap and toilet paper down.

StcChief
05-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Whatever the brand.... get an Elongated bowl.

Phobia
05-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Question:

Why do so many new homes have these new low volume flush toilets? I assume they are trying to save you money since they use less water obviously.....but, you end up having to flush 2 or 3 times to keep the toilet from clogging up because they dont flush hard enough to get all the crap and toilet paper down.

They're all 1.6 GPF but the market is so competitive and people pay so little attention to fixtures that builders install $50 toilets to make a profit. They cut every little corner and the consumer pays for builder neglect and their own ignorance.

How many times have you dropped a duke while touring a home?

PastorMikH
05-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Sold. When can I expect you?

Braincase
05-17-2008, 05:32 PM

It comes "pre-loaded", too.

Skip Towne
05-17-2008, 05:36 PM
It comes "pre-loaded", too.

Does that mean Phobia will "christen" it as well?

Phobia
05-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Sold. When can I expect you?

October work for you?

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2008, 06:59 PM
We are going to go buy a new toilet

1) Any recommendations?

Yea, make sure you have a really powerful unit cause you're seriously full of it dog. LMAO

Groves
05-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Here's the best advice: Don't ever buy a wax ring.

True, none of us hope to have to take off a toilet once it's on, but if you do, you'll be glad that you splurged the extra $2.50 for a rubber ring instead of the wax job.

They stick firmly on with adhesive and make the toilet removable for as many times as you need to remove it. Just make sure you know if you need to connect to 3 or 4inch pipe.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/112053_front200.jpg

Sully
05-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Yea, make sure you have a really powerful unit cause you're seriously full of it dog. LMAO

I can't believe it took this long.
Well played, sir.

Jilly
05-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Does the American Standard Toilet a) sit up higher, because this was granny's idea when she almost got stuck on our old one and b) ecologically friendly, but still flushes like an airplane toilet?

Phobia
05-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Does the American Standard Toilet a) sit up higher, because this was granny's idea when she almost got stuck on our old one and b) ecologically friendly, but still flushes like an airplane toilet?
Yes, the elongated bowl version sits higher. Yes, it uses the same 1.6 gallons per flush every other toilet sold in the US uses.

cardken
05-17-2008, 09:19 PM
A busted flange or rotting floor would be worst case scenario. Been replacing them for years do a little reading before hand, and should be no problem. I'm amazed at how little and timid people are about doing home improvement, with the parts ready availible and wealth of knowledge on the net, why anyone would pay to have anything above a level 3 project done by someone else.

Skip Towne
05-17-2008, 09:22 PM
A busted flange or rotting floor would be worst case scenario. Been replacing them for years do a little reading before hand, and should be no problem. I'm amazed at how little and timid people are about doing home improvement, with the parts ready availible and wealth of knowledge on the net, why anyone would pay to have anything above a level 3 project done by someone else.

We do it so Phobia can take fancy vacations.

Sully
05-17-2008, 09:27 PM

I'm very timid about that kind of stuff. I've been doing more little things since we got this new house, but every little thing I do I'm scared of for a few reasons...

1) It's just not something my dad ever took the time to teach me while I was growing up. It's the same with cars. Whenever he'd work on something, I was very disinterested, and he never really welcomed me to help. Not his fault... I just wasn't all that helpful.

2) When my dad did projects as I was growing up, they always got done, but with all kinds of crazy stuff just barely wrong. For instance, he redid our kitchen once. The hole he cut for the sink was too big, and so for the rest of the time we lived there, there was a matter of a fraction of a millimeter of formica and wood holding that sink up.

3) I really like my house, and the few things wrong with it really get under my skin to the point where I have trouble sleeping at night thinking about it. I can't imagine how shitty I'd feel if I was the one that ****ed it up to begin with.

...all that said, I have been doing more of that type of stuff, and trying to learn to be a better handyman. I always felt it was a huge part of me that was missing. So...we'll see.

PastorMikH
05-17-2008, 09:28 PM
October work for you?

$450 for the American Standard and have you bring it to me and install it? Sure. Though the longer you wait, the more the crap is gonna pile up in the old one.

:)

Phobia
05-17-2008, 09:38 PM
We do it so Phobia can take fancy vacations.

Right. This line of work would barely pay to send me to the Ozarks. No, that cruise was paid for by somebody but it wasn't me.

Phobia
05-17-2008, 09:39 PM
$450 for the American Standard and have you bring it to me and install it? Sure. Though the longer you wait, the more the crap is gonna pile up in the old one.

:)

I'll put you on my schedule when your check clears.

Rausch
05-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Right. This line of work would barely pay to send me to the Ozarks. No, that cruise was paid for by somebody but it wasn't me.

In my old house my mother busted a pipe trying to fix my sink and the flow of water (by the grace of God) somehow missed the massive surge protector by about 6 inches. It might have fried them both.

Dead mother + Dead wife = Cruise and game room to rival Zoner...:evil:

PastorMikH
05-17-2008, 09:48 PM
I'll put you on my schedule when your check clears.

I was planning on paying cash once it passes the mexican buffet test.

Sully
05-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, I did it.
Went and bought an American Standard elongated, and installed the toilet. It was easier than I thought... it only took about 90 minutes. The only problem I had was that the bolts to the floor were too long, so I cant put the caps on them, but that's pretty minor.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help. I appreciate it.

Fairplay
05-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Place the old toilet in the front yard and plant flowers in it.

It will be an eye turner for sure.

Phobia
05-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Those bolts can be cut off with a dremel or hack saw. The brass is very soft.

Sully
05-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Those bolts can be cut off with a dremel or hack saw. The brass is very soft.

Unfortunately, I don't have one right now. I may be able to borrow one from someone, though, so thanks.

Sully
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM

I actually suggested that to my wife.
She declined the idea.
I think I'm just going to have to drag it to the dump.

Phobia
05-24-2008, 10:38 AM
I actually suggested that to my wife.
She declined the idea.
I think I'm just going to have to drag it to the dump.

Bust it up with a hammer and put it in your regular trash.

JohninGpt
05-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have one right now. I may be able to borrow one from someone, though, so thanks.

Hack saws are very, very inexpensive. Under $5 at any hardware store. Go ahead, splurge, live a little.

Sully
05-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Bust it up with a hammer and put it in your regular trash.

Have you done that? That actually sounds like a pretty good idea.

stlchiefs
05-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Well, I did it.
Went and bought an American Standard elongated, and installed the toilet. It was easier than I thought... it only took about 90 minutes. The only problem I had was that the bolts to the floor were too long, so I cant put the caps on them, but that's pretty minor.

I hope you're proud of yourself. You do realize that Phobia and his 12 girls are going to go hungry this week don't you?

Skip Towne
05-24-2008, 03:08 PM

Do it in Donger's front yard.

Donger
05-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Well, I did it.

That's great. Well done. That first flush was fun, wasn't it?

blueballs
05-24-2008, 04:38 PM
that dremel for fathers day
looks promising -not that expensive
or say piss on it