PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Liens on property

Cntrygal
05-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Is it really legal for a group (ie. Homeowners Association) to file a lien on someone's property?

Bugeater
05-17-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure anyone can file a lien on anyone's property.

Joie
05-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Doesn't the property owner have to owe money to the person filing the lien?

SPchief
05-17-2008, 05:35 PM
This thread will probably turn into comedy gold at some point

JimNasium
05-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Do you live in a neighborhood governed by a covenant? If so, the answer is probably yes. How much power does that covenant hold? That's a tougher question.

Bugeater
05-17-2008, 05:39 PM
That's generally the reason people do it, I don't know any other reason to other than maybe to just be a dick to someone. Maybe I'll go file one on someone I don't like just for the hell of it.

RJ
05-17-2008, 05:39 PM

No. As a for instance, if a company performs work on a home for the home builder and the builder doesn't pay his bill that company can then file a lien on the home, despite the fact that they are not owed money by the homeowner. In many cases the homeowner will pay the bill and then go after the builder so that the lien is released.

JimNasium
05-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Past due home owner's association dues is my guess.

Cntrygal
05-17-2008, 05:40 PM
I'll be going to my first HA meeting on the 3rd (I think they're all a bunch of clowns).... but from what one of the neighbors said they (the busybody HA wannabe important jackasses) don't like the color of someone's shutters and they've been threatening another guy with a lien because they don't like how he maintains his yard. WTF?!?!?!

JimNasium
05-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the world of home owner's associations. Have you ever wondered why one neighborhood looks so nice and others look like a bunch of Raiders fans live there? Now you've got your answer.

Bugeater
05-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I'll be going to my first HA meeting on the 3rd (I think they're all a bunch of clowns).... but from what one of the neighbors said they (the busybody HA wannabe important jackasses) don't like the color of someone's shutters and they've been threatening another guy with a lien because they don't like how he maintains his yard. WTF?!?!?!

The only thing I can figure is maybe they'd hire someone to bring his yard into compliance and file the lien to recover the costs.

Joie
05-17-2008, 05:44 PM

Sounds like you have wonderful neighbors

Brock
05-17-2008, 05:45 PM
This is one of those "if you don't like it move" type situations.

Skip Towne
Those HOA's used to mess with satellite installations until the Feds stepped in and told them to GFY.

Bugeater
Sounds like you have wonderful neighbors

That kind of crap goes on in every neighborhood with an HOA.

Brock
05-17-2008, 05:47 PM

I assure you it doesn't.

Cntrygal
05-17-2008, 05:48 PM
This is one of those "if you don't like it move" type situations.

I think I'd rather make life hell for any nosy jackass that thinks they are going to gossip about me without me getting in their face.

So far, they've all left me alone. :evil:

Bugeater
05-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I assure you it doesn't.
There's no other reason to have one other than to control what people do.

JimNasium
Personally I'm happy to have a HOA and a strong covenant. I paid too much for my home to have some idiot move next door and lower my property value.

Joie

So, basically, if I don't want people in my business constantly I should buy a house in a neighborhood w/out an HOA?

Not that I have a tendency to be outlandish in general....but I think I'd paint my house pink just to piss em off.

JimNasium
05-17-2008, 05:51 PM
If you don't want people in your chili then move to the country. It's called civilization for a reason. :p

Brock
05-17-2008, 05:52 PM
There's no other reason to have one other than to control what people do.

It's really no different than agreeing to live in a nation of laws. We do so because it's advantageous to us. Covenants protect property owners. Do some of them go to far, and are some of them run by less than admirable people? Sure, but that doesn't mean covenants are a bad thing.

JimNasium
05-17-2008, 05:54 PM
It's really no different than agreeing to live in a nation of laws. We do so because it's advantageous to us. Covenants protect property owners. Do some of them go to far, and are some of them run by less than admirable people? Sure, but that doesn't mean covenants are a bad thing.

QFT.

Joie
05-17-2008, 05:54 PM
If you don't want people in your chili then move to the country. It's called civilization for a reason. :p

I currently live in an apartment. About anything would be better than the landscapers waking me up every Friday morning (generally my only day to sleep late). Not to mention the upstairs neighbors stomping across the floor every ten minutes.

Sad thing is....this place is much better than our last apartment. :banghead:

Cntrygal
05-17-2008, 05:55 PM
While I was still on crutches - one of the busybodies (on the board) was replacing a post in a fence (wooden) that separates our backyards and she "casually" mentioned to mom that I was going to have to give $20 to split the cost of the $40 post that she was replacing.

Mom said that she laughed and told her that whoever put the fence up (it's 8 years old) did a crappy job -so she should go talk to that guy. Nevermind the fact that you poured concrete (for a new pad for a shed) right up against the post.

It turns out that her x husband (who she's on good terms with) is the one that put up all the fences around here. She still hasn't tried to present me with a bill..........

JimNasium
05-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I currently live in an apartment. About anything would be better than the landscapers waking me up every Friday morning (generally my only day to sleep late). Not to mention the upstairs neighbors stomping across the floor every ten minutes.

Sad thing is....this place is much better than our last apartment. :banghead:

In the spirit of full disclosure I'm the president of my HOA. I'm not a total asshole but we do have some people that don't abide by our covenant agreement. I'm understanding to a point but there are situations that a line must be drawn. We've got a great neighborhood and want to keep it that way. I personally don't think it's a bad thing to have standards. I find myself not wanting to hang with those that don't.

Joie
05-17-2008, 06:00 PM
In the spirit of full disclosure I'm the president of my HOA. I'm not a total asshole but we do have some people that don't abide by our covenant agreement. I'm understanding to a point but there are situations that a line must be drawn. We've got a great neighborhood and want to keep it that way. I personally don't think it's a bad thing to have standards. I find myself not wanting to hang with those that don't.

Also, in the spirit of full disclosure....

I've never owned a home, so I'm honestly not sure how I would feel about an HOA. I do know that I don't react well to being told what to do so I think that for it to be agreeable with me there would need to be room for individuality.

RJ
05-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Years ago I knew a guy who put up a fence that his HOA didn't like. They wanted him to take it down and he refused. One day he came home from work and his fence was gone, the HOA had it torn down and sent him the bill. He took it to court and lost.

Don't mess with the HOA.

Cntrygal
05-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't mind having standards... I hate trashy neighbors. But so far, from the notes I've read (previous owner left me meeting minutes and letters that got handed out from the last 9 years).... some of these people seem over the top. The previous president got the cops called on him - because he forcibly entered someone's home to "discuss" an issue he wasn't happy about.

But we'll see.... like I said, my first meeting is on the third. So, I'll go and listen...... and hopefully noone will be stupid.

Bugeater
05-17-2008, 06:06 PM
OK, but that doesn't make either of my statements less true.

Cntrygal
Years ago I knew a guy who put up a fence that his HOA didn't like. They wanted him to take it down and he refused. One day he came home from work and his fence was gone, the HOA had it torn down and sent him the bill. He took it to court and lost.

Don't mess with the HOA.

Oh - I would be pissed and that's an understatement.

Skip Towne
I don't mind having standards... I hate trashy neighbors. But so far, from the notes I've read (previous owner left me meeting minutes and letters that got handed out from the last 9 years).... some of these people seem over the top. The previous president got the cops called on him - because he forcibly entered someone's home to "discuss" an issue he wasn't happy about.

But we'll see.... like I said, my first meeting is on the third. So, I'll go and listen...... and hopefully noone will be stupid.

If any of them give you any lip just knock them out like you did that Major.

JimNasium

That's a bit over the top. You've got to learn to use them to your advantage. Beware though, if you attend the meetings they will assimilate you.:evil:

JimNasium
05-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I wish you lived in my neighborhood so I could **** with you.

Cntrygal
05-17-2008, 06:08 PM

LOL - am I ever going to live that story down? :doh!: 2 days ago it was brought up on another MB....

Cntrygal
05-17-2008, 06:10 PM
That's a bit over the top. You've got to learn to use them to your advantage. Beware though, if you attend the meetings they will assimilate you.:evil:

Would it help if I wore my tinfol hat?

FAX
05-17-2008, 06:18 PM
My HOA is comprised primarily of a bunch of Mayor wanna-bes. The meetings are a "get a friggin' life" moment, to be sure.

FAX

Spott
05-17-2008, 06:31 PM
HOA's are a bunch of bullshit. They are made up by a bunch of old busybodies and pissants that have nothing better to do than try to make everyone else's life as miserable as their own. They try to use the excuse that they are keeping property values up, as if working professionals that can afford to live in nice neighborhoods are all of a sudden going to want to put a bunch of old cars on blocks in their front yards as soon as there's not a bunch "covenants" telling them that they can't do so.

RJ
05-17-2008, 06:31 PM

I don't get it. You seem like a good guy but I thought that being an a-hole was a requirement for a HOA President. This is causing conflict in my brain.

Pablo
05-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Maximum property values are achieved through conformity. HOA's only help to ensure this conformity. My last neighborhood had plenty of rules, lawncare, color schemes, matching utility sheds. Sure, it was a constant keeping up with the Jones'...but when you went to sell your home you usually got fair market value or better in a pretty quick amount of time.

cdcox
05-17-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't get it. You seem like a good guy but I thought that being an a-hole was a requirement for a HOA President. This is causing conflict in my brain.

Don't be fooled by the avatar.

Spott
05-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Lord knows we should all conform because we aren't really adults and can't make logical decisions on our own. Luckily HOA's are around to make us conform because otherwise responsible college educated adults that are well established in their careers would surely paint there house purple, let their yard grow 2 feet high and turn it into a crackhouse.

Brock
05-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Lord knows we should all conform because we aren't really adults and can't make logical decisions on our own. Luckily HOA's are around to make us conform because otherwise responsible college educated adults that are well established in their careers would surely paint there house purple, let their yard grow 2 feet high and turn it into a crackhouse.

You don't like HOA's. We get it. Nobody is going to force you to live in a neighborhood where covenants are in place.

Pablo
05-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Lord knows we should all conform because we aren't really adults and can't make logical decisions on our own. Luckily HOA's are around to make us conform because otherwise responsible college educated adults that are well established in their careers would surely paint there house purple, let their yard grow 2 feet high and turn it into a crackhouse.What makes you think only college educated professionals could afford to live in a neighborhood with HOA's?

What's to keep your average over the road truck driver making decent money from buying a nice house and parking his rig out front on the street, or not being able to properly maintain the property due to being gone for long spurts?

Pablo
05-17-2008, 06:52 PM
You don't like HOA's. We get it. Nobody is going to force you to live in a neighborhood where covenants are in place.Exactly. If you want to live in a reputable, nice neighborhood, chances are that neighborhood has an HOA and has had one for however many years it's been around. I'm sure some idiots would love to paint their houses purple..I've seen plenty of it in less than desirable neighborhoods in KC, what's to keep those people from coming into a little money, buying a house next door to you, and making your entire block look ridiculous.

FAX
05-17-2008, 06:55 PM
LOL. There's no possible way that my neighborhood is going to turn into a crackhouse zone. Not unless the hourly rate for crackwhores has gone up substantially since I last priced one. Some of the stuff my HOA spends time on is just silly ... fighting over who gets the contract for landscaping the commons, whether or not to allow halloween decorations, the color of the mulch on the entrance beds. I'm sure a lot of HOAs are great. Ours, however, is ridiculous.

FAX

05-17-2008, 06:56 PM
I work for homeowner associations. the majority of board members at these places get to feel important for once in their lives because they wield power. it used to be back in the day when they were mostly honest volunteers. but now most of these cock suckers have ulterior motives for everything they do.

Good luck!

Cntrygal
05-17-2008, 07:20 PM
So what about the legality of liens? If they have that much of a case - ie the person is a dirtbag with trash blowing everywhere and cars up on blocks..... shouldn't "they" have to sue the guy instead of filing a lien.... or is that part of it? I'd be pissed if someone without my knowledge filed a lien on my property (not that any of my properties have ever turned into "dirtbag" residences).

Bugeater
05-17-2008, 07:27 PM
So what about the legality of liens? If they have that much of a case - ie the person is a dirtbag with trash blowing everywhere and cars up on blocks..... shouldn't "they" have to sue the guy instead of filing a lien.... or is that part of it? I'd be pissed if someone without my knowledge filed a lien on my property (not that any of my properties have ever turned into "dirtbag" residences).

Like I said, they probably hire someone to bring the property into compliance, then if the owner doesn't pay up, it's lien time. I'm sure it's legal. And I doubt it comes as any surprise, I'm sure the HOA notifies the property owner before any action is taken.

ChiTown
05-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Is it really legal for a group (ie. Homeowners Association) to file a lien on someone's property?

As a person who sit's on a HOA Board, yes it's legal.

05-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Every association has an attorney on the payroll. they obviously ask that lawyer what they can do before they take any action. every association is different, and they all have somewhat different bi laws. so in this case I would study up on your association bi laws before you go to this meeting. every homeowner is entitled to have a copy of their association's bi laws.

Skip Towne
05-17-2008, 07:37 PM
As a person who sit's on a HOA Board, yes it's legal.

Isn't the home owner entitled to his day in court to challenge the action?

ChiTown
05-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Every association has an attorney on the payroll. they obviously ask that lawyer what they can do before they take any action. every association is different, and they all have somewhat different bi laws. so in this case I would study up on your association bi laws before you go to this meeting. every homeowner is entitled to have a copy of their association's bi laws.

Umm, we don't. It's pretty simple. There are by-laws in place that aren't rocket science. We enforce the rules set up by the developer of that community.

ChiTown
05-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Isn't the home owner entitled to his day in court to challenge the action?

Sure, if they want to challenge the rules. But, I'll say this much. No judge will rule against a HOA's rules unless the rules are unclear, or biased.

05-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Umm, we don't. It's pretty simple. There are by-laws in place that aren't rocket science. We enforce the rules set up by the developer of that community.

You don't have an association attorney? I find that hard to believe.

ChiTown
05-17-2008, 07:43 PM

Oh, I'm sure that there's an atty that we might consult with (noboady that sits on the Board). But, NOTHING that has to do with the enforcement of the covenants of our HOA.

Skip Towne
05-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Sure, if they want to challenge the rules. But, I'll say this much. No judge will rule against a HOA's rules unless the rules are unclear, or biased.

I'm talking about a yes you did, no, I didn't situation.

Bugeater
05-17-2008, 07:44 PM

I would assume an attorney is consulted when the by-laws are written, but the thing is that when you move in you agree to live by those rules so it's completely pointless to try to fight them.

05-17-2008, 07:45 PM
http://www.caionline.org/rightsandresponsibilities/index.cfm

Download the Rights and Responsibilities document (PDF).

More than a destination at the end of the day, a community is a place you want to call home and where you feel at home. There is a difference between living in a community and being part of that community. Being part of a community means sharing with your neighbors a common desire to promote harmony and contentment.

This goal is best achieved when homeowners, non-owner residents and association leaders recognize and accept their rights and responsibilities. In all cases, this entails striking a reasonable, logical balance between the preferences of individual homeowners and the best interests of the community as a whole. It is with this challenge in mind that Community Associations Institute (CAI) developed Rights and Responsibilities for Better Communities.

Community associations exist because they offer choices, lifestyles, amenities and efficiencies that people value. Yet, with all of their inherent advantages, community associations face complicated issues, none more common than the challenge of balancing the rights of the individual homeowner with those of the community at large. Managing this critical and delicate balance is often the essence of effective community leadership.

By encouraging community associations to adopt Rights and Responsibilities for Better Communities, CAI strives to promote harmony, community, responsible citizenship and effective leadership. In the process, we make life better for the more than 60 million Americans who live in community associations.

Let Rights and Responsibilities Help Your Community

The process of formally adopting Rights and Responsibilities will give communities an excellent opportunity for the kind of dialogue that facilitates awareness, builds consensus, and promotes greater community involvement.

Once adopted, Rights and Responsibilities will serve as an important guidepost for all those involved in the community—board and committee members, managers, homeowners and non-owner residents. The document will also serve as an excellent tool to educate new homeowners and residents about their own rights and responsibilities.

As greater numbers of associations adopt Rights and Responsibilities—and adhere to its principles—there will be less potential for conflict within communities. Ultimately, this will improve the image of managed communities across the nation, leading more people to understand the nature and value of community association living.

Adopting Rights and Responsibilities can also create positive publicity for your community—and reduce the kind of negative publicity often created by conflict.

How You Can Make it Happen

Adopting Rights and Responsibilities for Better Communities is easy!

* Download the Rights and Responsibilities document (PDF).
* Distribute the document throughout your community, announcing and publicizing where and when adoption will be considered.
* Explain why this is important to your community and the benefits it can create.
* Review and discuss the merits of the principles at an open meeting of your board.
* Solicit input from homeowners.
* Have your board vote to adopt a resolution endorsing Rights and Responsibilities for Better Communities. The principles will be more meaningful to homeowners and community leaders if they are formally adopted.

Announce Your Commitment

Once you have adopted Rights and Responsibilities, please share the good news with CAI by completing the simple online adoption form. That way we know you have joined other community associations realizing the benefits of enlightened governance and involved and engaged residents.

Like any endeavor involving people, community living cannot be free of conflict. Utopia does not exist. With all of their inherent advantages—and there are many—community associations often face difficult issues. While adopting Rights and Responsibilities will not eliminate all conflict, its adoption can stimulate communication, promote trust and cooperation, clarify expectations and build a greater sense of community. CAI urges you to take advantage of this opportunity.

Rights and Responsibilities was developed as an ideal standard to which communities could aspire, a goal-based statement of principles designed to foster harmonious, vibrant, responsive and competent community associations. The principles were not designed to be in complete harmony with existing laws and regulations in 50 states, and in no way are they intended to subsume existing statutes. Where there are inconsistencies, community associations should adhere to the spirit and letter of all applicable laws. If you have a question, we suggest you consult with your attorney.

05-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh, I'm sure that there's an atty that we might consult with (noboady that sits on the Board). But, NOTHING that has to do with the enforcement of the covenants of our HOA.

No, I didn't mean the attorney sits on the board. but there should be an attorney that gets paid by the association for all legal matters. that's what I meant.

05-17-2008, 07:48 PM
I would assume an attorney is consulted when the by-laws are written, but the thing is that when you move in you agree to live by those rules so it's completely pointless to try to fight them.

You're right, also, the homeowner has an attorney for the closing that should (if he does his job) explain what in the blue hell they're getting into.

Skip Towne
05-17-2008, 07:59 PM
LOL. There's no possible way that my neighborhood is going to turn into a crackhouse zone. Not unless the hourly rate for crackwhores has gone up substantially since I last priced one. Some of the stuff my HOA spends time on is just silly ... fighting over who gets the contract for landscaping the commons, whether or not to allow halloween decorations, the color of the mulch on the entrance beds. I'm sure a lot of HOAs are great. Ours, however, is ridiculous.

FAX

And yet they allow snakes in your yard.

ChiTown
05-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm talking about a yes you did, no, I didn't situation.

Sure, but there hasn't been one of those in the 3 yrs I've been associated with our HOA. Our by-laws are very clear on what you can do, and what you can not do.

ChiTown
05-17-2008, 08:09 PM
No, I didn't mean the attorney sits on the board. but there should be an attorney that gets paid by the association for all legal matters. that's what I meant.

We have a slew of atty's in the neighborhood. But, we don't have anyone who is a standing atty for the HOA. If we can't get what we need in the 'hood, we would no doubt hire one for any matter that we couldn't resolve ourselves.

blueballs
05-17-2008, 08:18 PM
While I was still on crutches - one of the busybodies (on the board) was replacing a post in a fence (wooden) that separates our backyards and she "casually" mentioned to mom that I was going to have to give $20 to split the cost of the $40 post that she was replacing.

Mom said that she laughed and told her that whoever put the fence up (it's 8 years old) did a crappy job -so she should go talk to that guy. Nevermind the fact that you poured concrete (for a new pad for a shed) right up against the post.

It turns out that her x husband (who she's on good terms with) is the one that put up all the fences around here. She still hasn't tried to present me with a bill..........

her x probably stuck her head in the fence and raped her
****ing sheep

Amnorix
05-17-2008, 08:30 PM

Don't mess with the HOA.

More like "know what your rights and obligations are under your covenants, you stupid jackass."

Skip Towne
05-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Sure, but there hasn't been one of those in the 3 yrs I've been associated with our HOA. Our by-laws are very clear on what you can do, and what you can not do.

I don't understand why anyone would submit to yet another level of government. I certainly wouldn't.

JimNasium
05-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I don't understand why anyone would submit to yet another level of government. I certainly wouldn't.

I'm guessing you don't live in a neighborhood where this is an issue so what's it to you?

ClevelandBronco
05-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I live in a neighborhood that is governed by an HOA. I painted my front door dark purple/blue against their wishes.

That the dangerous kind of guy I am.

Rukdafaidas
05-18-2008, 06:18 AM

You might want to read your HOA rules regarding sheds. Usually, HOA's don't allow any structures to built within X number of feet of the property line. The previous area I lived in, wouldn't allow a resident to build a shed within 30 feet of the property line.
If this lady ever pisses you off, you could probably force her to tear down the shed.

Skip Towne
05-18-2008, 06:24 AM
I'm guessing you don't live in a neighborhood where this is an issue so what's it to you?

I've had to deal with the Barney Fife's who populate these HOA's while working is what it is to me.

05-18-2008, 06:34 AM
I've had to deal with the Barney Fife's who populate these HOA's while working is what it is to me.

True, Skip. if the HOA is responsible for the roofs, you can't put your direct tv dish on the roof. you have to find another place to find the signal.

Skip Towne
05-18-2008, 06:44 AM
True, Skip. if the HOA is responsible for the roofs, you can't put your direct tv dish on the roof. you have to find another place to find the signal.

I've had them try to tell me they didn't allow satellite dishes at all which is against federal law. I used to carry a copy of the law around with me to shoot them down.

Bwana
05-18-2008, 07:09 AM
Heh, I would last about a week in your hood before things went really bad.

Thad the Homeowners Association Board Member: "Yeeeeees, Bwana, we here at the board don't like color of your house, nor the fact that you only cut your lawn once a week, rather than every other day. You muuuuuuuuuuust change your ways chop chop, or we will be forced to not only file a lien on your land, but talk bad about you at our meetings!"

Bwana: *Bitch Slap* Grab Thad by the back of pants / shirt, toss into street.

Cntrygal
05-18-2008, 08:32 AM
You might want to read your HOA rules regarding sheds. Usually, HOA's don't allow any structures to built within X number of feet of the property line. The previous area I lived in, wouldn't allow a resident to build a shed within 30 feet of the property line.
If this lady ever pisses you off, you could probably force her to tear down the shed.

Thanks for the thought! I'll look into it!

morphius
05-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Heh, I would last about a week in your hood before things went really bad.

Thad the Homeowners Association Board Member: "Yeeeeees, Bwana, we here at the board don't like color of your house, nor the fact that you only cut your lawn once a week, rather than every other day. You muuuuuuuuuuust change your ways chop chop, or we will be forced to not only file a lien on your land, but talk bad about you at our meetings!"

Bwana: *Bitch Slap* Grab Thad by the back of pants / shirt, toss into street.
My parents have a neighbor who mows almost every day and actually power washes the lawn, but any leaves in his yard he just blows into his neighbors yards.

dtebbe
05-18-2008, 09:18 AM

It is if you signed that little piece of paper during closing. Which you probably did.

DT

kstater
05-18-2008, 09:48 AM
My parents have a neighbor who mows almost every day and actually power washes the lawn, but any leaves in his yard he just blows into his neighbors yards.

How does one go about pressure washing a lawn, and what benefits does he believe he gains?

Bugeater
05-18-2008, 10:07 AM
My parents have a neighbor who mows almost every day...
My mom has a neighbor like that, she's a widow who doesn't work and her kids live out of state. Her yard is her life, she is out every morning until everything is perfect, at least 4-5 hours a day. I've always wondered what she does in the wintertime.

Pablo
05-18-2008, 10:08 AM
My mom has a neighbor like that, she's a widow who doesn't work and her kids live out of state. Her yard is her life, she is out every morning until everything is perfect, at least 4-5 hours a day. I've always wondered what she does in the wintertime.She sets up videocameras...recording her working in the yard. She studies game tape in the winter.

Bugeater
05-18-2008, 10:09 AM
How does one go about pressure washing a lawn, and what benefits does he believe he gains?
I pressure washed my parking strips this spring in an attempt to flush the salt and sand out of them and 95% of the grass is dead now. I don't recommend it.

05-18-2008, 10:11 AM
I pressure washed my parking strips this spring in an attempt to flush the salt and sand out of them and 95% of the grass is dead now. I don't recommend it.

You mean ''power washed''?

Bugeater
05-18-2008, 10:12 AM
She sets up videocameras...recording her working in the yard. She studies game tape in the winter.

LMAO I wouldn't doubt that one bit. The lady is bat-shit crazy.

Bugeater
05-18-2008, 10:12 AM
You mean ''power washed''?

Is there a difference?

05-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Is there a difference?

It must be a mid-west thing. I've never heard anybody call it a pressure washer.

Spott
05-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I've never heard it called power washed. That sounds like what you would get at a car wash.

Bugeater
05-18-2008, 10:29 AM
It must be a mid-west thing. I've never heard anybody call it a pressure washer.
The machine I did it with says "PRESSURE WASHER" right on it. :shrug:

kepp
05-18-2008, 10:29 AM

This is why I refused to even look at houses in HOA's when buying our home. I'm not going to pay someone to tell me what I can do to something I own.

Bwana
05-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Good Gawd, power washing the lawn? As if that part of the story isn't disturbing enough, the guy doesn't put his leaves in the street with a heavy object in the center of the pile. :shake:

Skip Towne
05-18-2008, 10:32 AM
This is why I refused to even look at houses in HOA's when buying our home. I'm not going to pay someone to tell me what I can do to something I own.

That's the way I see it also.

05-18-2008, 10:52 AM
The machine I did it with says "PRESSURE WASHER" right on it. :shrug:

It must be a cheap imitation. mine says ''POWER WASHER'' right on it. :shrug:

05-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I've never heard it called power washed. That sounds like what you would get at a car wash.

You live in Florida, GoBo lives in Nebraska. I'm just telling you what I hear it called over here.

Bugeater
05-18-2008, 11:44 AM
It must be a cheap imitation. mine says ''POWER WASHER'' right on it. :shrug:

Actually, I do use the term "power wash" on my proposals, homeowners like words such as "power". It makes it sound like I'm really doing something.

Hydrae
05-18-2008, 11:47 AM

Same here. I saw a lot of the hassles my folks went through with their HOA and I wasn't having any of it. Thankfully the neighborhood I moved into is older and the HOA is long dead. At one time all garages had to not open to the street, the opening had to be perpindicular to the street. This kind of nitpicky crap is why I stayed the hell away.

Thanks for the thought! I'll look into it!

And this kind of potential vindictiveness that has nothing to do with property value or any other "group concerns" is why I have no desire to submit to yet another authority group. You sound like you have no problem with the shed itself but if she does something to upset you you can use these rules against her simply out of spite. No thanks, I want to work with my neighbors one on one if there are problems.

Oh, and as to the original question, I have heard of instances (no, no link available) where the HOA has levied fines for whatever against a person for not complying to the rules and when those have not been paid, a lein can be the result. So at no time was anyone out of pocket for money (unpaid work, etc) but a lein exists.

Cntrygal
05-18-2008, 11:57 AM

My next place won't be in a HOA area.... this place is for mom - I just can't afford two mortgages right off the bat, so I'm staying with her lol. I just want to make sure I understand what the deal is - so I can make sure that noone takes advantage of HER when I'm somewhere else.

Cntrygal
05-18-2008, 12:02 PM
And this kind of potential vindictiveness that has nothing to do with property value or any other "group concerns" is why I have no desire to submit to yet another authority group. You sound like you have no problem with the shed itself but if she does something to upset you you can use these rules against her simply out of spite. No thanks, I want to work with my neighbors one on one if there are problems.

Oh, and as to the original question, I have heard of instances (no, no link available) where the HOA has levied fines for whatever against a person for not complying to the rules and when those have not been paid, a lein can be the result. So at no time was anyone out of pocket for money (unpaid work, etc) but a lein exists.

Nah.... the only way I'd throw her shed into her face is if she tries to force me to pay for the repair to the fence that SHE broke when pouring the concrete for her shed (the week we moved in no less). From what mom said, in the few minutes that she talked to her... the woman stressed that she was on the "HOMEOWNER'S ASSOCIATION BOARD" about a dozen times. She's pretty proud of that fact I guess.

acesn8s
05-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Actually, I do use the term "power wash" on my proposals, homeowners like words such as "power". It makes it sound like I'm really doing something.
MORE POWER!!!