PDA

View Full Version : News Are Newspapers dead?

Deberg_1990
05-19-2008, 10:17 AM
IM not talking about the Internet news. IM talking about the traditional "papers" you buy for .50 or .75 cents everyday. (or $1.50) on Sundays.

This little passage from Peter Kings MMQ got me to thinking. Do you still read the paper??

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/05/16/mmqb/3.html

I think it's a rotten week for newspapers. Really rotten, and not just because of the horrendous mistake by the Boston Herald.

One of the reasons I've always been such an avid newspaper person is because of writers like Tony Kornheiser. He's terrific on Pardon the Interruption, but he'll never, ever be better at anything than writing a newspaper column.

Last week, he took a buyout from his paper, the Washington Post, which, even though he hasn't been writing for the paper recently because of his TV commitments, is another nail in the coffin of the fishwrappers some of us still spend breakfast and commutes with.

I called Kornheiser, who told me he could still make a deal with the Post to allow him to write occasionally for the paper. But he was fairly fatalistic about the industry. "Newspapers aren't dying,'' he said. "They're dead. But was it a sad day when the guys who made the great buggywhips and the beautiful classic carriages saw the first cars rolling off the assembly line? No. It was progress.''

I'll disagree, in this vein: The morning won't be the morning for me without a paper with my Cheerios. But his point is valid. We're just getting the news delivered in a different way. Kornheiser is like me -- a 'net devotee. As long as there are good reporters working out here, he thinks all is not lost.

"What would be terrible is if we didn't have good reporters still out there," he said. "I fear more that reporters who do the persistent grunt work may not be there. I'm a yodeler who does skeet-shooting. I need stories to respond to.''

The yodeling is fine. Someone's got to find a way to get Kornheiser back to writing, too. He's too good for us not to have the chance to read him occasionally

DaFace
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I subscribe to the Rocky Mountain News and read it while I'm on the bus on the way to work. If I didn't take the bus, though, I probably wouldn't ever read it.

acesn8s
05-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Where else will I get my obituaries?

Nzoner
05-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Due to being in the direct mail advertising business I keep up with on a regular basis and our local paper's subscriptions have dropped dramatically in the last few years,it's also happening on a nationwide basis which I'm hoping means increased clients for our company in the coming months/years.

Adept Havelock
05-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I subscribe to the WSJ and KCStar, and read The Times (London) online for international coverage.

My newspapers and morning coffee are a long-established ritual.

crazycoffey
05-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Newspapers ARE dead! Dead trees.....

badump ump.

RNR
05-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Used to read the paper everyday, now a couple sundays a month.

Bugeater
05-19-2008, 10:52 AM
I get the Sat & Sun papers, it's still the best source for local news IMO.

acesn8s
05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Newspapers ARE dead! Dead trees.....

badump ump.
Just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you can tell bad jokes.:shake:

Frazod
05-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I used to read the Chicago Sun Times almost daily, but not anymore. Doesn't help that its degenerated into a pandering, sensationalistic rag. And if there's a bigger whining douche sportswriter out there than Jay Mariotti, I can't imagine who it would be. Contributing even the slightest amount to his salary isn't something I care to do. And the Chicago Tribune has always sucked.

Saulbadguy
05-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I'd subscribe to the newspaper if it were in a magazine type format. I find it cumbersome and awkward to hold the paper.

Stewie
05-19-2008, 11:10 AM
One of the reasons I've always been such an avid newspaper person is because of writers like Tony Kornheiser. He's terrific on Pardon the Interruption, but he'll never, ever be better at anything than writing a newspaper column.

Whaaaaat?!!!!!! That show sucks as much as Kornholer on MNF.

RJ
05-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I have home delivery of the Albuquerque Journal 7 days a week. the sports page is almost worthless but the rest of it is passable. I've read the paper most every day since I was old enough to read a baseball box score and I'll probably continue to read one for the rest of my life, assuming they're still around.

Having said that, the company I work for rarely does newspaper advertising these days. Even just ten years back the paper was a great way to promote a sale, a really quick bang for the buck, but not anymore. Generally, the only response we get from print ads is from people past retirement age. Not that we don't love their business but we need more than that to justify the expense.

Coach
05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Mostly for the comics.

Stinger
05-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Are Newspapers dead?

Yes because of this Kid "I want my $2"

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S2C07yRCdT8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S2C07yRCdT8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Nzoner
05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Having said that, the company I work for rarely does newspaper advertising these days. Even just ten years back the paper was a great way to promote a sale, a really quick bang for the buck, but not anymore. Generally, the only response we get from print ads is from people past retirement age. Not that we don't love their business but we need more than that to justify the expense.

If it's okay with you I think I'll print this and use it on my direct mail website.

Mr. Plow
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
I subscribe to the Rocky Mountain News and read it while I'm on the bus on the way to work. If I didn't take the bus, though, I probably wouldn't ever read it.
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Funny/short_bus.jpg

crazycoffey
05-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you can tell bad jokes.:shake:

It's not my Bday anymore and I always tell bad jokes.... :harumph:

Buehler445
05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm 25 years old and I do not subscribe to the paper. I don't know if any of my contemporaries do either. I don't think it has a place for me in my life.

On the other hand though, I don't feel terribly connected to my community. If I were, it may be a different story. As long as I can still get my news from the net, that is the direction I will go.

blueballs
05-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Parrotts the world over
are becoming illeterate

HemiEd
05-19-2008, 12:11 PM
They are clearly dying, along with magazines. I had a long established habit, of getting the paper early in the morning, and reading it while drinking my coffee.

I quit the paper, except for Sunday, a couple of years ago. (along with coffee) They called and called, I told them I don't read it and it is a waste of paper.

It has been almost comical, they keep delivering it, even after numerous calls on my part. I guess they need the stats bad enough, they are willing to deliver it free. Most days, it goes in the recycle bin, still in the bag.

"Bob" Dobbs
05-19-2008, 01:04 PM
It seems to me that newspapers are dying in an odd way, compared to other industries... It's the big city papers that are suffering, while the small town papers are still, in some cases GROWING. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

KCChiefsMan
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I sometimes read the sunday paper, otherwise I get all my news off the net.

StcChief
05-19-2008, 02:01 PM
local news is really about the only value I see in them. those papers are free paid by advertising.

chasedude
05-21-2008, 10:07 AM
I've given up on printed newspapers. I hate all the black ink that comes off on my hands. Feel like there should be a towel that comes with it to clean up with afterward.

gblowfish
05-21-2008, 10:17 AM
I threw the KC Star off a truck for 4 years in High School. Great job. Took some skills to do it well. And it's hard for your folks to put a curfew on you when you go to work at 3AM.

I've read the KC Star every day since I was 14. I don't read it cover to cover, but get through most of it every day. I had a teacher in High School impress on our class that it is the solemn responsibility of a voting citizen to be informed as to the issues in the community. And it's important to get your news from more than one source, to try to get balance and perspective.

So besides the Star, I read the internet news, watch cable tv news and pick up a magazine like Time, Newsweek or US News occasionally.

In my house we subscribe to the KC Star, Independence Examiner and Lexington News -we have a lot of friends in Lexville, and I met my wife there.

The star is getting expensive, though. Around $200 a year I believe.

Abba-Dabba
05-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Everyday. Employer pays for it though. If they didn't, I wouldn't bother with the paper edition.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I've read the KC Star every day since I was 14. I don't read it cover to cover, but get through most of it every day. I had a teacher in High School impress on our class that it is the solemn responsibility of a voting citizen to be informed as to the issues in the community. And it's important to get your news from more than one source, to try to get balance and perspective.

You are 100% right. The problem with papers or all print media in general is you can get most of the same content off their web pages.

The web is killing print media.

Mr. Arrowhead
05-21-2008, 10:31 AM
why pay extra money to read a newspaper, when i can get the same story and read it on the net

kc rush
05-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I get most of my news online, but I do subscribe to the Star. I will continue to do so until my dad retires from there.

Sam Hall
05-21-2008, 11:36 AM
It seems to me that newspapers are dying in an odd way, compared to other industries... It's the big city papers that are suffering, while the small town papers are still, in some cases GROWING. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

For one thing, local papers do a better job of covering high school sports. No other paper should cover a small town better than the hometown paper.

OldRaidersFan
05-21-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't get the newspaper.

1) I don't like the black ink.
2) It makes me sneeze, allergic
3) I hate the waste, the landfills, the trees

Just last month Devin Leonard, senior writer at Fortune wrote:

Harbinger of things to come in the news business? (http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/24/news/companies/leonard_harbinger.fortune/index.htm?section=money_latest)

This was my response to Mr. Leonard:

If the New York Times, one of the best brand names in the business (along with the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and L. A. Times) can't make a go of it, what is the point?

What is the business model that works?

What could two or three board seats do?

Look at papers like
Sun-Times Media Group Inc (SVN), down 93%, and Journal Register Co (JRCO), down 98%, over the past five years.

They need a business model that works. The Albuquerque Tribune, here where I live, just pulled the plug and packed it up.

I personally don't read the newspaper because of allergies and the waste they create.

Is changing the board just a shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic?

Owning a TV station in another city doesn't make sense to me (Sun-Times Media does. UPDATE: They have started selling off those stations.) There is no cross-marketing/cross selling. You must DRIVE people to the paper/website.

About the only thing that I can think of is for a newspaper to own a TV station and radio station and use them to do briefs of story's, and if you want a more comprehensive story you must either buy the paper or buy an online subscriptions, but you must have all four. Also, you combine advertising with a customer (selling them a TV ad, radio ad, Newspaper ad, and online ad all in one-tied ads) and tell the TV/radio viewer/listener that to get a coupon they have to get the paper. There HAS to be a reason to either get the paper or pay online. What is that reason. A single market vertical approach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another idea would be that Kindle from Amazon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle) (without the stupid laugh of Jeff Bezos). If they could reach critical mass, and get the price point down. A well run newspaper might give or lease you the device for very low cost and then get you to pay a monthly subscription fee. But, this will be tough because the end user wants flexibility.

Another factor that will hurt newspapers is the rising cost of fuel.

You could also see a decoupling between printing and content. You would have a statewide, nationwide or global company (s) that prints many papers, from different content providers, at local printing plants. If you didn't truck the papers all over the state, maybe you could cut back on fuel cost. In small towns, these would be new digital cutting-edge micro presses, for small runs and the ability for quick change. One printing outlet could print 20 different newspapers in a day.

Bottom line, it is a tough road to hoe. And as the Baby Boomers go, so goes the traditional newspaper business.

KcMizzou
05-21-2008, 10:39 PM
I'll buy a paper when one of my favorite teams does something significant, and save it.

I've still got the SI with Chase Daniel on the cover, from when Mizzou was ranked #1.

Shut it, Beakers.

Mr. Kotter
05-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Newspapers are not yet dead, but....as we've known them....they will be on life-support within 10 years.

Fishpicker
05-22-2008, 03:00 AM
I buy WSJ occasionally and I subscribe to my local paper. Both of those are decent enough. I used to subscribe to the KC star , but their subscription department used to call me every 2 weeks and ask me to renew for 6 months. I did that once and they kept callling. Finally, I told them to cancel the subscription and to quit callling. they havent called back and I have been receiving the Star daily for the last 8 months. I'd still be a subscriber if they weren't such pushers.

kcxiv
05-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Whaaaaat?!!!!!! That show sucks as much as Kornholer on MNF.

No it doesnt. I try to watch it as much as possible. Not very often, but i try too.