PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff Schools: 1957 vs. 2008

Lurker2:-)=)
05-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I got this (which was intended to be humorous) and it made me think. So I thought I'd see how the Planet feels on this, so here's the poll to answer after you read this:

Do you feel that schools are safer now than (like this email said) in 1957?

1 Kids/parents are better off now

2 They were better off in 1950s

3. Not sure

4. Other (please explain)

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2008

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2008 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2008 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both get expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2008 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2008 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1957 - Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.
2008 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.
1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2008 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover fireworks from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, and blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2008 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Miss Mary . Miss Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2008 - Miss Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

StcChief
05-19-2008, 01:56 PM
no doubt. 1957 :thumb: it was a very good year. :D

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 02:05 PM
GREAT THREAD!!! LMAO

Sure-Oz
05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Kids are little shits today

Frazod
05-19-2008, 02:09 PM
1957 without a doubt.

Pre-terrorist and pre-hippy.

HemiEd
05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
It is too bad, but those days, of that type of freedom and innocence, are gone forever.

We need far fewer perverts, and far fewer laws. The government is way to involved in our lives.

The odd part of this timeline, Ozzie and Harriet were always shown in twin beds. Now, prime time television is full of sex and innuendo.

Adept Havelock
05-19-2008, 02:46 PM
The odd part of this timeline, Ozzie and Harriet were always shown in twin beds. Now, prime time television is full of sex and innuendo.

So while we have regressed in some ways, we have progressed in other less significant ones.

If I can have the attitudes of 1957 mentioned in the OP, sans the prudery, sounds great.

edit- Apparently "innuendo" is not Italian for anal as I incorrectly assumed. :doh!:

teedubya
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
sex is fine, it is a natural part of life. IMO there should be boobs on TV... they are food for babies... why act like its a big deal.

Now, VIOLENCE on the other hand is OUT OF ****ING CONTROL. Its all over TV, all over commercials...

Kids see over 20k murders on tv by age 18... I read that stat... I think it may be higher though.

Fish
05-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I voted for 1957, but the article is so biased it takes away some credibility.

Scenario: example
1957 - Nothin happens. Everyone is fine and dandy.
2008 - Terror. Famine. War in the streets. Dogs raping cats. Apocalypse and shit.

Ultra Peanut
05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I, too, preferred the days when fine white children didn't have to mix with those mongrels.

I also enjoyed the days when people didn't post retarded mass e-mails less than a week after the same retarded e-mail was already posted.

Jenson71
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
It's amazing that the people who were kids in 1957 have grown up perfect yet still, despite the great upbringing, they are now raising kids and making policies that have created the 2008 kids/scenarios. How'd that happen?

jidar
05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
I voted for 1957 because all the Asians were in concentration camps so weren't ****ing up the grading curve.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 04:12 PM
I voted for 1957 because all the Asians were in concentration camps so weren't ****ing up the grading curve.

It's so they weren't ****ing up the grade curve Mr. Special Ed.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
I, too, preferred the days when fine white children didn't have to mix with those mongrels.

I also enjoyed the days when people didn't post retarded mass e-mails less than a week after the same retarded e-mail was already posted.

Yea I think we know all about your prefferences.

kcchiefsus
05-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Kids are little shits today

Yep. I'm only 3 years removed from high school, currently going into my 4th year of college, and I have always said that if I were ever to become a teacher I would NEVER teach high schoolers because they are little ****s with no respect. I would like to think I was more respectful than your average high schooler but who knows. Alot of teenagers seem to be little pricks nowadays and need a nice ass whoopin.

ROYC75
05-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Yea I think we know all about your prefferences.

In 57 he / she would still be in the closet .......

Without a doubt, 1957 hands down.

bogey
05-19-2008, 04:33 PM
It's interesting that the kids that lived in the wonderful world of 1957 are raising or have raised the kids that are ****ing up 2008.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 04:34 PM
It's interesting that the kids that lived in the wonderful world of 1957 are raising or have raised the kids that are ****ing up 2008.

No they're not.

Pablo
05-19-2008, 04:35 PM
1907 FTW!

And this forward is just such stupid bullsh*t. 2008 - Nuclear fallout, blood rains from the sky while hordes of mutant-zombies eat prescription pills and read Playgirl magazine. The sun is swallowed by darkness and cars drive their owners head on into one another...the end is near...cherish the good ol' days while you can.

That might be taking it a bit too far, but some of those scenarios are just plain ridiculous.

OnTheWarpath15
05-19-2008, 04:35 PM
I voted for 1957, but the article is so biased it takes away some credibility.

Scenario: example
1957 - Nothin happens. Everyone is fine and dandy.
2008 - Terror. Famine. War in the streets. Dogs raping cats. Apocalypse and shit.

ROFL

bogey
05-19-2008, 04:36 PM
No they're not.

Some of us started late.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Some of us started late.

Kids back then were raised by their parents. Most kids now are raised by our ****ed up liberal ass schools while both parents have to work.

Pablo
05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Kids back then were raised by their parents. Most kids now are raised by our ****ed up liberal ass schools while both parents have to work.Have to work? Or have a higher standard of living so they choose to work? The schools don't raise children at all, parents do, however that is a convienient excuse.

OnTheWarpath15
05-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Kids back then were raised by their parents. Most kids now are raised by our ****ed up liberal ass schools while both parents have to work.

I hate liberal preschools.

OnTheWarpath15
05-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Have to work? Or have a higher standard of living so they choose to work? The schools don't raise children at all, parents do, however that is a convienient excuse.

Bingo, but on the fast track to DC at this rate.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Have to work? Or have a higher standard of living so they choose to work? The schools don't raise children at all, parents do, however that is a convienient excuse.

BS, when parents work all the time and the mass majority of the values they learn in life are taught by our ****ed up school system that's who's raising your kid. To say so otherwise is ridiculous.

Ultra Peanut
05-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Yea I think we know all about your prefferences.Careful, now. Your wife is going to get suspicious.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Bingo, but on the fast track to DC at this rate.

Bingo huh? LMAO So you don't believe any of our problems come from the fact that many children don't have parental guidance because both need to work? Yea OK bingo boy.

Adept Havelock
05-19-2008, 04:52 PM
BS, when parents work all the time and the mass majority of the values they learn in life are taught by our ****ed up school system that's who's raising your kid. To say so otherwise is ridiculous.

I'm not sure how it's the fault of the schools that parents can't be bothered to teach their children decent values.

Sure, some aspects of '57 were superior to '08, and parts of '08 are superior to '57. :shrug:

Just a couple of quick examples:

The innocence of the year of 1957....Marlboro Chief wishes he was born in that idyllic time....

http://b.imagehost.org/0863/colored-only-sign.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0863/WhitesOnly.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0863/whites-only.gif

Oh...and don't forget:

http://b.imagehost.org/0863/132348909_a36bd0d04c_o_7.jpg

Pablo
05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
BS, when parents work all the time and the mass majority of the values they learn in life are taught by our ****ed up school system that's who's raising your kid. To say so otherwise is ridiculous.I suppose if you aren't providing adequate guidance and attention at home this will happen. But to suggest all children are products of a liberal school system, and these poor parents have to work so they can have that 3rd car or boat, or more expensive mortgage note "for the kids" of course, instead of spending time with their children and cutting back on their standard of living is just stupid.

If you let work dominate your life, then who do you expect to raise your children?

OnTheWarpath15
05-19-2008, 04:54 PM

What's ridiculous is that you're implying that parents have no say in the matter.

Christ, they're not at school 24/7.

Instead of parents ALLOWING schools to have that great an influence on their children, maybe they should turn off the ****ing TV every night and parent their kids THEMSELVES.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Sure, some aspects of '57 were superior to '08, and parts of '08 are superior to '57....just a couple of quick examples:

The innocence of the year of 1957....Marlboro Chief wishes he was born in that idyllic time....

http://b.imagehost.org/0863/colored-only-sign.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0863/WhitesOnly.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0863/whites-only.gif

Oh...and don't forget:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we were talking about schools.

Pablo
05-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we were talking about schools...because schools weren't segregated in 1957 or anything...

OnTheWarpath15
05-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Bingo huh? LMAO So you don't believe any of our problems come from the fact that many children don't have parental guidance because both need to work? Yea OK bingo boy.

What's ridiculous is that you're implying that parents have no say in the matter.

Christ, they're not at school 24/7.

Instead of parents ALLOWING schools to have that great an influence on their children, maybe they should turn off the ****ing TV every night and parent their kids THEMSELVES.

Read and comprehend.

Adept Havelock
05-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we were talking about schools.

:shrug:

http://b.imagehost.org/0863/br0130bs.jpg

However, this picture is a part of 1957 that makes Marlboro Chief :deevee:. :)

OnTheWarpath15
05-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Let's say the average student spends 40 hours per week in class.

There are 168 hours in a week.

WTF are the parents doing with the other 128 hours?

Bottom line?

Even parents who work have 75% of their day to guide/teach their children.

EDIT, since I see the smartass comment coming about sleep...

Assuming 8 hours of sleep a night that STILL leaves 72 hours, or almost DOUBLE the time the schools have their claws in them.

bogey
05-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Here's the bottom line IMO. You can raise your children however you want. But to blame everything on anything other than parenting is a cop out. Raise your children, period, raise your children. Quit blaming outside entities, raise your own children.

Adept Havelock
05-19-2008, 05:04 PM

Bottom line?

Assuming 8 hours of sleep a night that STILL leaves 72 hours, or almost DOUBLE the time the schools have their claws in them.

Yep. If the parents can't be bothered to teach decent values, it's not the fault of the schools. JMO.

OnTheWarpath15
05-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Here's the bottom line IMO. You can raise your children however you want. But to blame everything on anything other than parenting is a cop out. Raise your children, period, raise your children. Quit blaming outside entities, raise your own children.

Agree.

You either make the most of the time you have with your kids, or you don't.

But to blame someone else for how YOUR kids turn out is retarded.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I suppose if you aren't providing adequate guidance and attention at home this will happen. But to suggest all children are products of a liberal school system, and these poor parents have to work so they can have that 3rd car or boat, or more expensive mortgage note "for the kids" of course, instead of spending time with their children and cutting back on their standard of living is just stupid.

If you let work dominate your life, then who do you expect to raise your children?
Some of it is not the schools fault. People now expect things from their schools they shouldn't like raising their kids. Having the government raise your kids is a very BAD idea. I think what we are seeing is a by product of that enviroment. Politicians want us to buy into it as well. "It takes a village to raise a child" BS it takes a parents that care more about their kid than their pocket book. In the 50s one income was plenty for everything you needed. That just isn't the case most of the time anymore.

Pablo
05-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Here's the bottom line IMO. You can raise your children however you want. But to blame everything on anything other than parenting is a cop out. Raise your children, period, raise your children. Quit blaming outside entities, raise your own children.It's a fairly simple concept, but it's always easier to blame someone/something else.

I don't know why my son's so violent, he just won't stop beating up other children at school.

"Get to your room, you're a product of an inferior liberal school system"

*Heads to room complete with 40" plasma and XBox 360, pops in GTA4, kills some hookers and cops.

Thank goodness the parents work so hard so they can provide their children with convienient distractions instead of having to spend real quality time with them.

Adept Havelock
05-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Agree.

You either make the most of the time you have with your kids, or you don't.

But to blame someone else for how YOUR kids turn out is retarded.

Some of it is not the schools fault. People now expect things from their schools they shouldn't like raising their kids. Having the government raise your kids is a very BAD idea. I think what we are seeing is a by product of that enviroment. Politicians want us to buy into it as well. "It takes a village to raise a child" BS it takes a parents that care more about their kid than their pocket book. In the 50s one income was plenty for everything you needed. That just isn't the case most of the time anymore.

:clap: Good posts.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2008, 05:12 PM

Bottom line?

The point is the economic enviroment isn't the same. One income isn't enough anymore. I agree parents need to raise their kids, we are on the same page there. Schools are a joke now compared to what they were when I was a kid. Some of the classes we had, Archery, boxing, wrestling along with a full no charge line up of football, basketball, baseball ect. Now it's pay to play when they even have it. They would rather spend their money out here on celebrate diversity week and implimenting a good run and snitch program. I truly believe the only answer to our schooling problem right now is privatizing it.

whoman69
05-19-2008, 09:02 PM
I think the worst thing about schools today is that giving realistic grades, even though they are bad or mediocre, will give kids a poor sense of self-esteem. When my oldest son was in high school I would receive reports from his teachers and just about every class said class average A-. WTF? Is everyone such a genius today? Now he gets to the real world and flunks a company's application test because he can't spell. He was a straight A student.

Demonpenz
05-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Lee harvey oswald graduated in 57.

CoMoChief
05-19-2008, 09:22 PM
REPOST

Nzoner
05-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I think the worst thing about schools today is that giving realistic grades, even though they are bad or mediocre, will give kids a poor sense of self-esteem. When my oldest son was in high school I would receive reports from his teachers and just about every class said class average A-. WTF? Is everyone such a genius today? Now he gets to the real world and flunks a company's application test because he can't spell. He was a straight A student.

Yep,OMG we can't have kids with low self-esteem.Horseshit,if Johnny can't spell nor wants to learn how,flunk him and hold him back.Of course then the teacher has to worry Johhny will get his gun and come back to school to even the score.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2008, 10:36 PM
My dad is a racist. He wants to retire in a 100% white community.

05-19-2008, 10:44 PM

I don't have a "higher standard of living" and we both work in order to make ends meet and feed our children while raising them to be respectful citizens of society as best we can.

Your statement is total crap.

Pablo
05-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't have a "higher standard of living" and we both work in order to make ends meet and feed our children while raising them to be respectful citizens of society as best we can.

Your statement is total crap.You most certainly have a higher standard of living than the norm 50 years ago.

05-19-2008, 10:55 PM
You most certainly have a higher standard of living than the norm 50 years ago.

Not by choice. I am not having this argument.

DaneMcCloud
05-19-2008, 11:18 PM
You most certainly have a higher standard of living than the norm 50 years ago.

Have you ever been to and spent time in the South? Louisana, Mississipi or Alabama?

If not, take a visit then tell us how there's higher standard of living.

There's a "higher" standard of living around most metropolitan areas but certainly not in rural communities, where a large portion of our population resides.

And while the "Boomer" generation and their offspring are far more educated than their parents or grandparents, not everyone is wealthy and prosperous.

Personally, I think comparisons like this are total ****ing bullshit. They totally ignore race and completely ignore the paranoia and fear that surrounded our country at the height of the Cold War.

Last I checked, people aren't building nuclear bomb shelters on their property so for that reason alone, 2008 is far superior to 1958.

And if you're worried about your kids, ****ing act like a parent. Stop blaming others.

Sully
05-20-2008, 06:57 AM

I agree with this. I work at a school, and am actually sitting RIGHT NEXT TO a student right now who can't read the words on this screen... and he is 17. He has some medical issues, but is by no means incapable of learning to read. However, he has been passed from school to school, as teachers keep passing him from grade to grade, and he's a sophomore. HE JUST ASKED ME HOW TO SPELL THE WORD "SONGS."

Demonpenz
05-20-2008, 08:11 AM
I think the music is better in today's world
Nickleback, Seether, Shinedown etc

CosmicPal
05-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, that's funny, 'cause the original article is 1968 vs. 2008

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184293

RNR
05-20-2008, 10:19 AM
I agree with this. I work at a school, and am actually sitting RIGHT NEXT TO a student right now who can't read the words on this screen... and he is 17. He has some medical issues, but is by no means incapable of learning to read. However, he has been passed from school to school, as teachers keep passing him from grade to grade, and he's a sophomore. HE JUST ASKED ME HOW TO SPELL THE WORD "SONGS."

They get paid by the head, pass= pay fail=no pay