PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs to release or trade Damon Huard?

Marco Polo
05-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Sorry if this is a repost. Per rotoworld:

The Kansas City Star suggests that the Chiefs may cut or trade Damon Huard if Tyler Thigpen and Brodie Croyle perform well in training camp.

This could get ugly. Coach Herm Edwards pointed out that he's "got a bunch of young guys now" on the roster and is satisfied "it’s more balanced." Croyle and Thigpen have yet to win a career start. More importantly, they haven't shown the poise and smarts in game action that Huard has. Not keeping Huard around, at least as a third quarterback, would be bizarre. May. 19 - 11:37 pm et

StcChief
05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Bizarre only if Winning in 2008 isn't a big priority, games, experience will allow them to grow.

A vet for leadership? Look to June cuts to see what happens

patteeu
05-20-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm definitely in favor of this. I like Huard, but it's time to let the next generation sink or swim.

ChiTown
05-20-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm definitely in favor of this. I like Huard, but it's time to let the next generation sink or swim.

No problem with that thinking at all. However, having a veteran backup at a key spot is NEVER a bad idea, IMO.

Hoover
05-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Well I don't think its good of Brodie has to constantly look over his shoulder and worry about the Vet taking his job.

bawhahahhaahaha

patteeu
05-20-2008, 08:56 AM
No problem with that thinking at all. However, having a veteran backup at a key spot is NEVER a bad idea, IMO.

That makes sense. If the coaches think that having Huard around as a mentor is worthwhile then I'm OK with that. But I don't really want to see him on the field this year.

ChiTown
05-20-2008, 08:57 AM
That makes sense. If the coaches think that having Huard around as a mentor is worthwhile then I'm OK with that. But I don't really want to see him on the field this year.

Agreed, unless it's an injury or mop up - Huard needs to be wearing nothing but a baseball cap during the games.

Brock
05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah, you wouldn't want Huard to outplay lil' Brodie again.

patteeu
05-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah, you wouldn't want Huard to outplay lil' Brodie again.

I don't want him to play at all, so yeah, that too.

Adept Havelock
05-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Can we release Hootie with Huard? Offer a package deal for a 7th? :)

blueballs
05-20-2008, 09:14 AM
I'd rather have Leftwich anyway
it takes 2-3 to bring him down
instead of a threat 15 yards away

Hammock Parties
05-20-2008, 09:16 AM
I think this passage from last week's Warpaint Roundtable is relevant to the discussion:

http://kan.scout.com/2/755415.html

I think Huard is a great backup quarterback. Do you guys think Huard has anything left in the tank? Would you go into the season and feel comfortable with him as your #2? <table align="right" cellspacing="7" width="225"><tbody><tr><td>http://media.scout.com/media/image/55/550567.jpg
Where does Damon Huard fit in Kansas City?
Jamie Squire </td></tr></tbody></table>

Nicholas Athan: Huard was the offensive line’s whipping boy in 2007 and was beaten like a drum, but he never quit or complained. I would ask him how he was feeling all the time and he always said he was fine. That was despite ice packs on his shoulders, ace bandages holding his rips together, two taped ankles and a sore elbow.

So yes, he can be the backup for the Chiefs this year and should be 100 percent healthy and ready to go if he’s called upon. But will he be called upon? I’d say it’s probable if Croyle struggles, but Tyler Thigpen will get some reps instead of Huard. Either way, Huard is the ultimate insurance policy going into 2008.

Michael Ash: If the Chiefs were going to compete for something this year, I’d be OK with Huard as the backup. But they’re a rebuilding team and they’ve made finding a young quarterback a primary goal - where does Huard fit into that? I think his main value to the team at this point would be as a mentor to Croyle and Thigpen.

That’s important to keep in mind when we aren’t exactly sure about the coaching Croyle and Thigpen are receiving. Incidentally, I understand that Dick Curl has a new bestseller out – “Great NFL QBs I’ve Developed.” You can find it at your local bookstore next to “Super Bowls & Me: 20 Years of Success,” by Carl Peterson.

C.E. Wendler: If you’ve been paying attention to anything I’ve written over the last couple of years, you know I have a ton of respect for Damon Huard. Like Jason Whitlock wrote earlier this offseason, someday football scientists will attempt to discover how Huard won four games behind KC’s offensive line last season. I don’t blame him in the least for the team’s struggles a year ago.

Huard is the perfect backup quarterback for the Chiefs. He’ll teach Croyle and Thigpen about two of the most important aspects of NFL quarterbacking – preparation and toughness. Both of those have come into play the last two seasons while Huard was under center.

Brock
05-20-2008, 09:17 AM
It appears you were under the roundtable as usual.

the Talking Can
05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
and I thought i'd click on the first ever spam free thread....

morphius
05-20-2008, 09:34 AM
I think this passage from last week's Warpaint Roundtable is relevant to the discussion:

It is pretty easy, he had a healthy LJ and teams were putting 9 guys in the box and concentrating on stopping LJ no matter where he went. After he went down, people could just attack because nobody scared them.

dirk digler
05-20-2008, 09:49 AM

yep totally agree.

King_Chief_Fan
05-20-2008, 09:58 AM

I agree with MA's narrative on the subject.

It don't matter who is QB. Dick Curl doesn't know the least about developing a QB. Thanks Herm, you dip stick.

InChiefsHeaven
05-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd just as soon keep Damon around for vet leadership. I mean, what the hell is the point of releasing him and then picking up another re-tread to fill that role in June? Save a couple of bucks? Keep him around, he knows the team...he's only got like one more year on his contract anyway, so what's the harm?

...I like Damon...

...on the sidelines, with a clip board...

sedated
05-20-2008, 10:02 AM
goatse on a roundtable? hahahahahahaha.

that's precious.

blueballs
05-20-2008, 10:04 AM
If HUTARD plays a snap this season
Tony G will get murdered

CosmicPal
05-20-2008, 10:05 AM

A mentor to what? Averageness? How to be a career back-up? If we're going to keep a vet QB around to be a mentor, I'd rather they bring back Trent Green or something.

I agree, I don't really want to see him on the field either. Its going to be a very rough year for whomever is under the center, but I'd rather it be Croyle and/or Thigpen learning how to survive and persevere through adversity.

beach tribe
It is pretty easy, he had a healthy LJ and teams were putting 9 guys in the box and concentrating on stopping LJ no matter where he went. After he went down, people could just attack because nobody scared them.

Don't confuse them with your logic.

Kylo Ren
I have no problem with getting rid of Huard, especially if we can get a draft pick out of it. Let's go with the youth movement. If Brodie does well, he'll be the QB for a few years. He he stinks, then the Chiefs will be drafting in the top 5 again and can pick up a QB in the draft.

Fish
05-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I have no problem with getting rid of Huard, especially if we can get a draft pick out of it.

ROFL

RealSNR
05-20-2008, 10:36 AM
No problem with that thinking at all. However, having a veteran backup at a key spot is NEVER a bad idea, IMO.Sounds reasonable now, doesn't it?

But just wait until the season starts and Brodie breaks his leg. We'll throw Damon out there and Chiefs fans will biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

Chiefs Pantalones
05-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I hope we release Huard and then sign a vet QB.

Brodie needs a good vet QB to tutor him, not Huard. I would prefer a vet tutor him than our clowns we call coaches.

patteeu
05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
A mentor to what? Averageness? How to be a career back-up? If we're going to keep a vet QB around to be a mentor, I'd rather they bring back Trent Green or something.

I agree, I don't really want to see him on the field either. Its going to be a very rough year for whomever is under the center, but I'd rather it be Croyle and/or Thigpen learning how to survive and persevere through adversity.

It's not at all uncommon for an average player to end up being a good coach. Dick Vermeil wasn't even the starting QB on his college team. Marty Schottenheimer made the AFL all-star team once, but he wasn't Dick Butkus or Willie Lanier.

That said, it's up to the Chiefs coaches to determine whether or not Huard has any mentorship value. I'm not in a position to judge.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
It's not at all uncommon for an average player to end up being a good coach. Dick Vermeil wasn't even the starting QB on his college team. Marty Schottenheimer made the AFL all-star team once, but he wasn't Dick Butkus or Willie Lanier.

That said, it's up to the Chiefs coaches to determine whether or not Huard has any mentorship value. I'm not in a position to judge.

True. Its more common for average ex-players to become great (Jason Garrett) coaches.

You dont see the Joe Montanas, Troy Aikmans, Steve Youngs become coaches. They dont need the money, stress and headaches obviously.

smittysbar
05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
See ya

Skip Towne
05-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I have no problem with getting rid of Huard, especially if we can get a draft pick out of it. Let's go with the youth movement. If Brodie does well, he'll be the QB for a few years. He he stinks, then the Chiefs will be drafting in the top 5 again and can pick up a QB in the draft.

A draft pick? We would be lucky to get two dozen footballs.

mlyonsd
05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Release or trade?

Either is ok with me.

smittysbar
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
A draft pick? We would be lucky to get two used footballs.

fyp

Simply Red
05-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Release or trade?

Either is ok with me..

picasso
05-20-2008, 11:59 AM

Brodie needs a good vet QB to tutor him, not Huard. I would prefer a vet tutor him than our clowns we call coaches.
First Brodie needs to quit acting like he just fell off the hay wagon and fell on his head. I don't think that a vet QB can do anything about his down syndrome problem or winning a game in the NFL other than taking his place, and then I would welcome a veteran in with open arms.

Kylo Ren
05-20-2008, 12:04 PM
ROFL.........or a 6 pack of Coke Zero?

banyon
05-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Who has to preface their comments with an opening phrase like:

If you’ve been paying attention to anything I’ve written over the last couple of years...

Valiant
05-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Do we want him to teach his kind of leadership??

Direckshun
05-20-2008, 12:18 PM
I think Huard is a great backup quarterback. Do you guys think Huard has anything left in the tank? Would you go into the season and feel comfortable with him as your #2?
Where does Damon Huard fit in Kansas City?
Jamie Squire

Nicholas Athan: Huard was the offensive line’s whipping boy in 2007 and was beaten like a drum, but he never quit or complained. I would ask him how he was feeling all the time and he always said he was fine. That was despite ice packs on his shoulders, ace bandages holding his rips together, two taped ankles and a sore elbow.

So yes, he can be the backup for the Chiefs this year and should be 100 percent healthy and ready to go if he’s called upon. But will he be called upon? I’d say it’s probable if Croyle struggles, but Tyler Thigpen will get some reps instead of Huard. Either way, Huard is the ultimate insurance policy going into 2008.
THE ULTIMATE INSURANCE POLICY.

Pablo
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM
First Brodie needs to quit acting like he just fell off the hay wagon and fell on his head. I don't think that a vet QB can do anything about his down syndrome problem or winning a game in the NFL other than taking his place, and then I would welcome a veteran in with open arms.Let's win right now! Get a veteran in here pronto. We gotta make that push to 9-7, then sneak in the first round and get blown out again.

F*ck an old ass veteran QB. This is a young team, and I don't want the stench of an over-35 yr. old has-been chucking the rock around to our young guys, and being protected by our young guys when they will likely be another young QB(Thigpen) on the sidelines.

If Brodie falls flat on his face, we might have to draft a QB from next years less than stellar class, oh well. Or *gasp*, let Thigpen take his spot. Either one of these options is a dramatic improvement over bringing in any vet.

And as far as Huard is concerned, hey you had a good run, I kinda feel sorry for the guy because he wasn't a p*ssy, he definately took a ton of hits and stayed in there, but he just isn't an NFL caliber QB. He's not even really back-up caliber, and I think he might be worth keeping around behind Croyle and Thigen, but I have a feeling if he stays he'll automatically assume the #2 position, and in that case, good riddance. He'd be a good third option in case Brodie and Thigpen both got killed behind our young line, then we could put him in and let him play the remainder of the games until we could draft a QB next year.

Buehler445
05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
More importantly, they haven't shown the poise and smarts in game action that Huard has.

ROFL [pause] ROFL

Brock
05-20-2008, 12:49 PM
THE ULTIMATE INSURANCE POLICY.

Yeah. :LOL:

J Diddy
05-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Do we want him to teach his kind of leadership??

to say that huard isn't a leader is ludicrous. the man was benched after winning games, the man was booed after winning games, the man got killed trying to win games all the while not complaining. Sure he's physically limited, but nonetheless, he is a great leader.

Yes I wouldn't mind him teaching his kind of Leadership.

FAX
05-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Amen, Mr. Vanilla Thunder. Huard has already taught Croyle all he knows about both the quarterback position and the fetal.

But, to your point, isn't Dick Curl still the QB coach? If so, isn't there anyone else in the entire world we can find who would be better?

FAX

Valiant
05-20-2008, 01:36 PM
to say that huard isn't a leader is ludicrous. the man was benched after winning games, the man was booed after winning games, the man got killed trying to win games all the while not complaining. Sure he's physically limited, but nonetheless, he is a great leader.

Yes I wouldn't mind him teaching his kind of Leadership.

Just because you are on the field does make you a leader, Samie Parker was on the field when we won games, does that make him a WR leader?? He didn't complain because he knew better.. The man got killed trying to win games?? I remember him flopping on the ground while a passrush was coming before it got to him..

He was/is a lifetime backup.. You all want to hold him to a higher standard then what he was.. The whole we like the backup player more and and make him out to be something that he is not..

I sure and the hell do remember him getting vocal during his games or out on the field either.. I guess we have two different definitions of leader..

Rausch
05-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd keep him as the 3rd QB. Not for anything he can provide on sunday - his weak arm, lack of mobility, and age - but for the PS/coaching help. The Pats gave him a game ball for his ability to mimic the opposing QB's.

Think what he could do to help the young defensive players as far as developing and practicing the game plan and strategy. How much would it help Flowers to have practice time with an imitation Brady?...

Chief Faithful
05-20-2008, 01:43 PM
:BS:

So if they dump Huard who takes his place? Who is on the market that Herm wants more than Huard for backup?

BigRock
05-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Just because Huard doesn't have the physical tools to put it all together himself doesn't mean he doesn't have anything to offer. Wasn't he with Dan Marino for 2-3 seasons? And Tom Brady for the same amount of time? He'd have been in QB film meetings with those guys, talking to them on the sideline during games, etc.

I'm sure he's learned some things that would be helpful to two young QBs. A lot of times it's the guys who didn't have the physical gifts, who had to work at it every day and study and learn, who make the best coaches.

Pablo
05-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Just because Huard doesn't have the physical tools to put it all together himself doesn't mean he doesn't have anything to offer. Wasn't he with Dan Marino for 2-3 seasons? And Tom Brady for the same amount of time? He'd have been in QB film meetings with those guys, talking to them on the sideline during games, etc.

I'm sure he's learned some things that would be helpful to two young QBs.Huard's really gonna make the big bucks once he gets out of the league.

Downfield Damon's Football FUN-damental Series

Disc 1 - The Fetal Position: Know it, love it, become it.
Disc 2 - Checkdowns: Look 5 yards down the field, every time
Disc 3 - Clipboards 101: How to avoid those nasty splinters
Disc 4 - Avoiding the Rush: If they're 5 yards away, fall on your face!
Disc 5 - Selecting your WR: Making your 4 WR options 2, and then cut it to 1!

Saulbadguy
05-20-2008, 02:07 PM
God, I hate Huard.

OnTheWarpath15
05-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Huard's really gonna make the big bucks once he gets out of the league.

LMAO

OnTheWarpath15
05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
I hope he sticks around, so I can keep using this beauty:

CrazyPhuD
05-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Fiber...just use it....great for getting rid of those stubborn Huards who just don't want to go.

blueballs
05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
:BS:

So if they dump Huard who takes his place? Who is on the market that Herm wants more than Huard for backup?

there is a unhappy camper on the east coast
who knows Herm very well

blueballs
05-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I hope he sticks around, so I can keep using this beauty:

LJ has a fat ass

picasso
05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Let's win right now! Get a veteran in here pronto. We gotta make that push to 9-7, then sneak in the first round and get blown out again.

F*ck an old ass veteran QB. This is a young team, and I don't want the stench of an over-35 yr. old has-been chucking the rock around to our young guys, and being protected by our young guys when they will likely be another young QB(Thigpen) on the sidelines.

If Brodie falls flat on his face, we might have to draft a QB from next years less than stellar class, oh well. Or *gasp*, let Thigpen take his spot. Either one of these options is a dramatic improvement over bringing in any vet.

And as far as Huard is concerned, hey you had a good run, I kinda feel sorry for the guy because he wasn't a p*ssy, he definately took a ton of hits and stayed in there, but he just isn't an NFL caliber QB. He's not even really back-up caliber, and I think he might be worth keeping around behind Croyle and Thigen, but I have a feeling if he stays he'll automatically assume the #2 position, and in that case, good riddance. He'd be a good third option in case Brodie and Thigpen both got killed behind our young line, then we could put him in and let him play the remainder of the games until we could draft a QB next year.
There isn't any old veteren out there right now, it's not like Bledsoe and Flutie are floating around anymore. But I would feel good with Chris Sims coming in here if he's disgruntled with TB or maybe even Leftwich. At least they have some NFL wins under their belt and they know how to eat a sandwich or two.
Look who we have Jon Heder's retarded twin brother. Probably drain bamaged from suckin on his wifes silicone nubbins.
I am all for younger but this team lacks a leader, Trent Green was a leader.
Not the greatest player in the game but a solid leader and most of all INTELLIGENT!!!!

el borracho
05-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Who would be the 3rd QB? David Greene?

I guess it won't really matter this year since we won't even win 6 games but, jeez, only Herm Edwards would head to camp with more kickers than quarterbacks.

CupidStunt
05-20-2008, 04:51 PM

:LOL::LOL:

ClevelandBronco
05-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Sure, the Chiefs could release Huard. They can't trade him. They ought to keep him.

Chief Faithful
05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
there is a unhappy camper on the east coast
who knows Herm very well

The Chiefs and Jets, starting at the same point, have chosen the opposite path to rebuild. This could get interesting.

Bwana
05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Hootie is going to jump off a cliff if that happens..............cut his ass.

Reerun_KC
05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
The Chiefs and Jets, starting at the same point, have chosen the opposite path to rebuild. This could get interesting.
Oh Hell NO!

the Talking Can
05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
we could trade him for a bag of vaginas....maybe two

smittysbar
05-20-2008, 09:12 PM

:LOL:LMAO:LOL: rep

el borracho
05-20-2008, 09:36 PM
we could trade him for a bag of vaginas....maybe two

Really? Where can one go to make such a trade and what other goods besides mediocre NFL QBs will they take in trade? Oh! and how many to a bag?

blueballs
06-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Buccaneers | Garcia threatens to quit
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:47:21 -0700

Matthew J. Darnell, of Yahoo! Sports, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Jeff Garcia said in an interview on SIRIUS Radio's Pro Football Talk with Adam Schefter, that he could finish his football career if the team does not present him with a contract. "If it doesn't work itself out, if a contract is not presented as far as a renewal to finish my career, then I will seriously think about what my alternate options may be," said Garcia. "And it may come to not playing football anymore."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pasta Little Brioni
06-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Buccaneers | Garcia threatens to quit
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:47:21 -0700

Matthew J. Darnell, of Yahoo! Sports, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Jeff Garcia said in an interview on SIRIUS Radio's Pro Football Talk with Adam Schefter, that he could finish his football career if the team does not present him with a contract. "If it doesn't work itself out, if a contract is not presented as far as a renewal to finish my career, then I will seriously think about what my alternate options may be," said Garcia. "And it may come to not playing football anymore."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes because the buc are lacking QB's on thier roster.

Redrum_69
06-05-2008, 11:16 AM
We need another high draft pick in 2009. Lets dump 2008 like a phobia poop thread and get one of the top 3 picks!

blueballs
06-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes because the buc are lacking QB's on thier roster.

5-6 that couldn't beat out Casey Printers

StcChief
06-05-2008, 11:21 AM
It really doesn't matter who's on the field...

Chiefs fans will biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

waiting entirely to long for even a playoff W.

blueballs
06-05-2008, 11:28 AM
5-6 that couldn't beat out Casey Printers

you know
QBbC might just suit HUTARD
HUTARD/Grieseball/McClown

StcChief
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Hutard sticks around unless we can get a 5th / carl

Kylo Ren
06-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I really wish we would trade Huard, for almost anything, and complete the youth movement. We don't need an aged veteran taking up a roster spot when we could get a draft pick for him.

boogblaster
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
BYE BYE TURD TAKE HOOT with ya ....

Frankie
06-05-2008, 12:57 PM

I totally agree.

Frankie
06-05-2008, 01:00 PM
How high (low) of draft picks do you think we can get for Huard and Wesley? Do you think getting a 5 for either is a pipe dream?

Fire Me Boy!
06-05-2008, 01:01 PM
they haven't shown the poise and smarts in game action that Huard has
You mean the poise and smarts to fall down when a defender gets too close? As horrible as our offensive line was, in two more starts in 2007, Huard was sacked more than twice as many times as Croyle.

Huard is gun shy. He's afraid, plain and simple.

OnTheWarpath15
06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
You mean the poise and smarts to fall down when a defender gets too close? As horrible as our offensive line was, in two more starts in 2007, Huard was sacked more than twice as many times as Croyle.

Huard is gun shy. He's afraid, plain and simple.

Spot on.

Huard was sacked every 9.22 attempts last year, while playing behind the starting 5.

Croyle was sacked every 13.18 attempts, with Waters and Weigmann being the only constants on a week to week basis.

smittysbar
06-05-2008, 02:10 PM
and no LJPosted via Mobile Device