PDA

View Full Version : Football Rams back to LA?

cmh6476
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
did a search, didnt see this...

Credit Yahoo Sports---

Though it hasn't been publicized in the wake of longtime owner Georgia Frontiere's death earlier this year, the St. Louis Rams are on the market, according to several NFL sources.

The possible sale of the franchise could have major ramifications, with a potential return of the team to Southern California hanging over any transaction. Adding intrigue to the situation: One of the prospective buyers who has had preliminary discussions with an intermediary about buying the Rams is Eddie DeBartolo, who owned the rival San Francisco 49ers from 1977 to '98.

"I know that they are definitely in play," DeBartolo told Yahoo! Sports last week. "Georgia's kids (son Chip Rosenbloom and daughter Lucia Rodriguez) have decided to sell the team. I've talked to some people who are brokering things, and they've told me about the price and what the deal might entail."

Rams president John Shaw, who has been the de facto leader of the franchise since Frontiere moved the Rams from Anaheim to St. Louis in 1995, declined to comment on the team's potential sale.

While DeBartolo said he has only a "slight" interest in purchasing the Rams, who sources say are being shopped in the $850 million to $900 million range, he conceded that part of the deal's allure would be the possibility of filling the void in the L.A. market that has existed since the Rams and Raiders left town before the '95 season.

"Their lease (at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis) is up in 2012, and they would be a natural for that to happen," DeBartolo said of the Rams' return to L.A. under new ownership. "It would be something to look at, and it's interesting to see the numbers and everything. But it wouldn't be my first choice of a franchise if I chose to get back in."

DeBartolo, who lives in Tampa, would prefer to purchase the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was part of a group that included Outback Steakhouse founder Chris Sullivan which approached Bucs owner Malcolm Glazer about buying the team seven years ago, but their interest was rebuffed.

Two years ago, in a story I wrote for Sports Illustrated, DeBartolo said he was intrigued by the prospect of purchasing the Raiders and relocating them to L.A. At the time two prominent NFL owners, including the Dallas Cowboys' Jerry Jones, said they believed DeBartolo would be approved should he attempt to return to the league - something that was in question after he became embroiled in a Louisiana gaming scandal a decade ago and ultimately pled guilty to a felony (not reporting an extortion attempt by the state's former governor, Edwin Edwards).

"I love the guy, and a lot of people in that room (at an NFL owners meeting) like him," one AFC owner said earlier this month. "I think he'd be approved."

Given the decline of the 49ers' fortunes since the popular and wildly successful owner's departure - and DeBartolo's acrimonious relationship with brother-in-law John York, who currently runs the franchise - the thought of him owning a reprised L.A. Rams ranks with the previously floated Raiders scenario as a 49ers fan's worst nightmare. But DeBartolo, who has worked hard to repair his once-bitter relationship with sister Denise DeBartolo York, insists he's not motivated by any sort of revenge fantasy.

"Oh, (expletive), I'm past that," DeBartolo insisted. "I would only do it for the right reasons - business reasons. I don't know, the Rams, they were always my arch enemy. (St. Louis is) a good city. And, you know, we took care of the Rams pretty good when we owned the 49ers."

DeBartolo, 61, also says he is not as high on the Los Angeles market as he was two years ago.
"First of all, who's proven in L.A. that a damn team even works?" DeBartolo asked. "It didn't work for Al Davis, and he won a Super Bowl there. I think L.A. has yet to prove it wants to support a pro football team. And unless somebody does an awfully damn good survey and market-research study indicating otherwise, I'll be skeptical."

One high-ranking league source says the Jacksonville Jaguars are another team that might be sold and relocated to L.A. and that owner Wayne Weaver has solicited potential buyers in recent months. But DeBartolo discounted the possibility of purchasing the Jags, saying, "I think (he'll sell) every year, but it doesn't happen. I get the feeling that Wayne really wants a Super Bowl, and every year he keeps thinking, 'It's gonna be the year,' and he decides to keep them."

As for the Rams, an NFL owner familiar with the situation says at least two groups not involving DeBartolo have had discussions with those brokering the sale about a possible purchase. The owner said it appears unlikely that Stan Kroenke, a Rams minority owner, will try to buy out Frontiere's heirs and assume control of the franchise. To gain NFL approval, Kroenke would have to divest himself of his ownership interests in the NBA's Denver Nuggets and NHL's Colorado Avalanche because failing to do so would violate the NFL's cross-ownership policy (which does not allow someone with controlling ownership in an NFL franchise to own major pro sports teams who play in a different NFL city).

"It'll be interesting to see what happens," DeBartolo said.

StcChief
05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
I thought this sometime ago. Don't trust 'em as far as you can throw 'em.

Expansion was only way STL was really gonna get/keep a team

Brock
05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
The only team LA should get back is the Raiders.

DeepSouth
05-20-2008, 10:42 AM
I think it only appropriate that the Rams move back to LA and the Cardinals (arizona) move back to St. Louis.

Adept Havelock
05-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I think it only appropriate that the Rams move back to LA and the Cardinals (arizona) move back to St. Louis.

The football Cardinals should go back to Chicago, the Colts back to Baltimore, and the Ravens to St. Louis.

It's appropriate that St. Louis should have a football team named for carrion eaters.

blueballs
05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
To gain NFL approval, Kroenke would have to divest himself of his ownership interests in the NBA's Denver Nuggets and NHL's Colorado Avalanche because failing to do so would violate the NFL's cross-ownership policy (which does not allow someone with controlling ownership in an NFL franchise to own major pro sports teams who play in a different NFL city).

Lamar had a piece of the Bulls

Frankie
05-20-2008, 10:50 AM

Agreed.

smittysbar
05-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I still follow the Cards.

Frankie
05-20-2008, 10:54 AM
DeBartolo as the Raiders owner? NO THANKS!! I'm gonna start a petition to keep Al Davis as the Raider Boss for life. And I pray daily to wish him a long long life.

the Talking Can
05-20-2008, 10:57 AM
One high-ranking league source says the Jacksonville Jaguars are another team that might be sold and relocated to L.A. and that owner Wayne Weaver has solicited potential buyers in recent months. But DeBartolo discounted the possibility of purchasing the Jags, saying, "I think (he'll sell) every year, but it doesn't happen.

jags fan must love to hear that......

Frazod
05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
DeBartolo as the Raiders owner? NO THANKS!! I'm gonna start a petition to keep Al Davis as the Raider Boss for life. And I pray daily to wish him a long long life.

He's already been dead for 20 years.

Frankie
05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
He's already been dead for 20 years.

Isn't "the undead" supposed to exist forever? That would be good news for the Chiefs fans.

88TG88
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Raiders no
Rams no
Jags :hmmm:

Chiefs_Fan
05-20-2008, 11:38 AM
yes, Chiefs back to local stations in St. Louis, (2013)

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I've said for a while that I think the Jaguars will end up in Los Angeles and I still believe that.

StcChief
05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
I've said for a while that I think the Jaguars will end up in Los Angeles and I still believe that.since the Saints are not going....

that had a better ring Los Angeles Saints.

Joe Seahawk
05-20-2008, 01:05 PM
To gain NFL approval, Kroenke would have to divest himself of his ownership interests in the NBA's Denver Nuggets and NHL's Colorado Avalanche because failing to do so would violate the NFL's cross-ownership policy (which does not allow someone with controlling ownership in an NFL franchise to own major pro sports teams who play in a different NFL city).

Lamar had a piece of the Bulls

Paul Allen owns the Trailblazers and The Seahawks.. :hmmm:

Brock
05-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Obviously exceptions are made for people who really add to the solvency of the league.

stlchiefs
05-20-2008, 01:23 PM

Key phrase bolded:

I know it's not the same city, but same area. The reason behind the goal would be to try to deter someone from moving a team to another city where they have financial and personal interests.

Joe Seahawk
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Key phrase bolded:

I see.. I clearly didn't read that properly. Thanks. :thumb:

ClevelandBronco
05-20-2008, 01:42 PM

The Rams were a Cleveland team.

ClevelandBronco
05-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Key phrase bolded:

That would be disastrous for the Avs and good news for the Nuggets.

StcChief
05-20-2008, 01:55 PM
The Rams were a Cleveland team.
but do you have dome for them to play in, not sure they are ready for Cleveland weather:deevee:

Bowser
05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Interesting. Eddie DeBartalo would turn a team around, but doing it in LA is another story.

tomahawk kid
05-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Does this article confirm that Georgia Frontiere knew what team she owned?

Everytime I saw that woman interviewed, she looked / talked like she was stoned out of her mind.

Brock
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Does this article confirm that Georgia Frontiere knew what team she owned?

Everytime I saw that woman interviewed, she looked / talked like she was stoned out of her mind.

She was basically a high priced ho who was under the right guy at the right time, so nothing would really surprise me.

Spott
05-20-2008, 02:59 PM
One high-ranking league source says the Jacksonville Jaguars are another team that might be sold and relocated to L.A. and that owner Wayne Weaver has solicited potential buyers in recent months. But DeBartolo discounted the possibility of purchasing the Jags, saying, "I think (he'll sell) every year, but it doesn't happen.

jags fan must love to hear that......

The Jags rarely have a true sellout here. They had 3 blackouts last year and a few more that went down to the last day of ticket sales before the blackout was lifted, and that includes the 9000 seats they have covered up. If the Jags start losing again, there will be a lot more blackouts to come. The problem here is that they have no fans outside of Jacksonville and most of the fans here are really only interested in college football(UF & FSU). It's already a small market here, not to mention that there a lot of transplants(like me) in Jacksonville that already have a favorite football team.

Spicy McHaggis
05-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Would anyone in LA even notice?

Marco Polo
05-20-2008, 06:08 PM
The Cardinals moving to Arizona is why I became a Chiefs in the first place. I'm a Cardinals baseball fan first and adopted the Royals has my 2nd team just because I like the Chiefs.

Rausch
05-20-2008, 06:13 PM
She was basically a high priced ho who was under the right guy at the right time, so nothing would really surprise me.

Reason 3257 I'd spit baby batter if they Lambs moved.

A Johnny-come-lately team, headed by a hooker owner, moving to a rival city, who comes in and wins a trophy before even establishing a fan base. Microwave success after every KC fan has sweated and suffered near misses for years.

**** them and their front-running n00b fans...

Marco Polo
05-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Reason 3257 I'd spit baby batter if they Lambs moved.

A Johnny-come-lately team, headed by a hooker owner, moving to a rival city, who comes in and wins a trophy before even establishing a fan base. Microwave success after every KC fan has sweated and suffered near misses for years.

**** them and their front-running n00b fans...

Are the Rams fans to apologize that they had more effective management and a whole lotta luck? No. I'm a bitter Chiefs fan like everyone but if you win the trophy, that's respect.

Ultra Peanut
05-20-2008, 06:23 PM
The problem for the Jags is that they just haven't been able to capture that market at all. There's too much competition from college teams and not enough success to draw those people away.

big nasty kcnut
05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Market research to find if la need a team it look like a job for rain man.

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2008, 06:52 PM
I still think the Jags getting a franchise was in order to get new stadiums in other places. St. Louis, Baltimore, and Tennessee were the others in running for that franchise and they all had teams move and the other two cities got brand new stadiums for expansion teams.

bango
05-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Who will move to Vegas and will they have a team before L.A.? I think so. Not only do they have a good chance to have two teams before L.A. has one, but they will have two teams by 2030.