PDA

View Full Version : Football Falcons sign Ryan to $72M contract

The Rick
05-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Falcons sign Ryan to $72M contract

By Peter King, SI.com

In a stunning contract sure to have ramifications up and down the first round of the NFL draft, the Atlanta Falcons have signed QB Matt Ryan, the third pick in April's draft, to a six-year, $72 million contract with a hefty $34.75 million bonus.

The Falcons obviously wanted to get Ryan in camp without a holdout. The franchise is eager to lift black cloud that has hung over the franchise since Michael Vick was jailed in a shocking dogfighting case and coach Bobby Petrino jilted the team with three games left in the season, leaving for Arkansas.

Ryan is expected to compete for the starting job with Falcon roster holdovers Joey Harrington and Chris Redman. Obviously, it's only a matter of time before he wins the job as Atlanta's quarterback of the future.

NFL teams had been trying to hold down rookie salaries this year, and Miami's signing of No. 1 pick Jake Long to a reported five-year, $57.75 million contract with $30 million guaranteed was a step in the right direction because it contained approximately the same guaranteed money as last year's top pick, JaMarcus Russell, received from the Oakland Raiders. But $34 million guaranteed for the third pick will surely draw the ire of other teams and general managers trying to hold the line.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/05/20/ryan.contract/index.html

kaplin42
05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Just F'ing insane. No way a rookie should ever make that much money. I hope that the owners get this resolved in the next CBA.

Brock
05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Just F'ing insane. No way a rookie should ever make that much money. I hope that the owners get this resolved in the next CBA.

The owners don't appear to care.

chasedude
05-20-2008, 02:29 PM
The Falcons sound really desperate, or stupid, to give him that much. He's unproven yet in the NFL, so many have flopped in the past.

Pablo
05-20-2008, 02:29 PM
So, his contract is in the ballpark of Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger?

Seems fair.

KCChiefsMan
05-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm sure this will have some effect on Dorsey's contract.

Frazod
Carl just fell out of his chair.

Direckshun
Holy shit... God I hope Gholston isn't signed for much. We need our floor as low as possible.

CupidStunt
05-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm curious as to what Dorsey's getting. Hopefully it's six years, and if so I'd have to guess something in the region of $52-54 million with $22-24 million guaranteed.

Bowser
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Looks like prices at Home Depot will go up about 5% across the board.

morphius
Well, that will toss a wrench in everyone's plans, but I'm damn sure this will mess with Carl so badly he will not be able to get anything done...

Brock
Carl's just going to have to pay Dorsey what he's worth. There isn't any way around it.

teedubya
Thanks for ****ing us in the neck Arthur Blank. **** Home Depot. Go Lowes!

Amnorix
05-20-2008, 02:34 PM
The Falcons sound really desperate, or stupid, to give him that much. He's unproven yet in the NFL, so many have flopped in the past.

Desperate. Very, VERY desperate.

05-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Ah crap. Here comes the annual first round hold out for Carl now. Thanks Atlanta.

Bowser
05-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Carl's just going to have to pay Dorsey what he's worth. There isn't any way around it.

He'll still wait until the last milisecond to get his and Albert's contracts done. He's Carl - it's what he does, the tough S.O.B.

Amnorix
05-20-2008, 02:36 PM
This, of course, is part of why teams want to renegotiate the CBA. Slotted rookie salaries makes a helluva lot of sense, and I have no idea why the union would oppose them. It makes no sense for a rookie to get more than anybody except a multiple pro bowl veteran.

tomahawk kid
05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
The Dorsey holdout just began.

NO way the King is going to actually pay Dorsey what he's worth.

Blank just f#cked every other team in the league.

mikey23545
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
The Dorsey holdout just began.

<b>NO way the King is going to actually pay Dorsey what he's worth.</b>

Blank just f#cked every other team in the league.

WTF does this have to do with what a rookie is worth? The ****ing problem here is them wanting 10 times what they're worth.

Brock
05-20-2008, 02:49 PM
It's not Peterson. It's the cheap organization. We'll see if anything has changed.

Basileus777
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
This is why the old CBA had to go. The NFL needs to get their act together and implement and NBA style rookie pay scale.

He has a larger contract than the new one Romo just signed...the system is broken.

noa
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Not only does this set the bar insanely high this year, but if Brodie doesn't pan out and we have to draft a QB next year, we will be double-effed by this.

tomahawk kid
05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
WTF does this have to do with what a rookie is worth? The ****ing problem here is them wanting 10 times what they're worth.

The "market" has been set now - like it or not.

kcxiv
05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Ah crap. Here comes the annual first round hold out for Carl now. Thanks Atlanta.

Carl just needs to get it done. We have 2 first rounds and he knew he was going to have to pay big big money to both of them.

Molitoth
05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Matt Ryan Leaf

CrazyPhuD
05-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Anyone else want to go in on a congratulatory set of Pitt Bulls I'm going to send ryan? I figure 20 should last him 2months or so.

OnTheWarpath15
05-20-2008, 03:20 PM

We're forgetting the Raiders picked McFadden right before us.

Arthur just beat Al to the punch is all.

Either way, Dorsey was going to cost us a shit-ton of cash.

kcxiv
05-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Matt Ryan Leaf

Regardless of what he becomes, Carl has to pay big money and Ryan is rich for the rest of his life if he takes care of it.

dirk digler
05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't think this will have much impact on Dorsey. Long signed for $57 million with $30 million guaranteed. QB's will always make more money than anyone else.

I agree though that the NFL does need to do what the NBA does as far as rookie slotting.

sedated
05-20-2008, 03:26 PM
how many years before a rookie gets the biggest contract in the league?

Hydrae
05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't think this will have much impact on Dorsey. Long signed for $57 million with $30 million guaranteed. QB's will always make more money than anyone else.

I agree though that the NFL does need to do what the NBA does as far as rookie slotting.

That is my thinking as well. You should not expect a DT to be earning as much as a QB so I am not sure how much affect this will really have for us. Of course this is where Carl's tough guy stance comes in to play and leaves us without at least one of the first rounders most of the way through camp.

StcChief
05-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Matt Ryan Leafwe can hope, need a good bust at QB has been a while an over-rated QB fell to earth fast.

Hootie
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
This, of course, is part of why teams want to renegotiate the CBA. Slotted rookie salaries makes a helluva lot of sense, and I have no idea why the union would oppose them. It makes no sense for a rookie to get more than anybody except a multiple pro bowl veteran.

The NFL is so much tougher than the NBA or MLB because most players only get ONE contract, maybe two...

So for some of these top rookies it is important to get the money while they can...especially since contracts in the NFL aren't guaranteed like the NBA and mostly in the MLB.

I don't know what they can do...other than maybe guaranteeing two year contracts or giving the players SOME leverage...or giving the team that drafted you your rights for 4 or 5 years like the NBA...it's just more difficult in the NFL.

Amnorix
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Matt Ryan Leaf

Leaf was a miserable failure in part because he had the emotional maturity of a 3 year old.

Ryan is the exact opposite. He is the definition of mature, calm, cool and collected. He has tremendous leadership skills.

Hootie
05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
This is why the old CBA had to go. The NFL needs to get their act together and implement and NBA style rookie pay scale.

He has a larger contract than the new one Romo just signed...the system is broken.

The only way to fix it, in my opinion, is for said scale and TWO year deals with an option year...the average NFL career makes these rookies try and get as much as humanly possible because most of them only have one contract to make their money...whether it be the massive rookie one they sign or the second contract they sign like LJ...

Lets say LJ played out his rookie contract and the foot injury happened his final season...he only signed for what, like 7 million total for the first 5 years he was in the NFL? Yeah, 7 million is a lot to you or me but when guys like Brian Cardinal are making 50 million dollars for 6 years of NBA service...I can see why the NFL guys ask for so much money when they are top picks...or holdout after breakout seasons...the organizations always have all of the leverage.

dirk digler
05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
The NFL is so much tougher than the NBA or MLB because most players only get ONE contract, maybe two...

So for some of these top rookies it is important to get the money while they can...especially since contracts in the NFL aren't guaranteed like the NBA and mostly in the MLB.

I don't know what they can do...other than maybe guaranteeing two year contracts or giving the players SOME leverage...or giving the team that drafted you your rights for 4 or 5 years like the NBA...it's just more difficult in the NFL.

There is no reason why rookies should be making more than the majority of the veterans.

Like most jobs they need to start at the low end and maybe only do 3 yr contracts.

Amnorix
05-20-2008, 03:49 PM

NFL will resist guaranteed contracts to the death, and rightly so. Guaranteed contracts have destroyed baseball and basketball, IMHO.

I'm not saying rookies should be paid peanuts, but the draft is ridiculously topheavy -- 1st round picks make 100x 3rd rounders, who generally get little/no guaranteed money, and top of hte 1st round get paid like they're proven vets.

I'm not arguign to reduce the cap, I'm just saying the $$ should be redistribution as between vets and rookies.

Hootie
05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
NFL will resist guaranteed contracts to the death, and rightly so. Guaranteed contracts have destroyed baseball and basketball, IMHO.

I'm not saying rookies should be paid peanuts, but the draft is ridiculously topheavy -- 1st round picks make 100x 3rd rounders, who generally get little/no guaranteed money, and top of hte 1st round get paid like they're proven vets.

I'm not arguign to reduce the cap, I'm just saying the $$ should be redistribution as between vets and rookies.

I don't disagree...I'm just saying the NFL is in a tough predicament with these contracts...not only for rookies, but for veterans...or for guys like Ryan Grant, who makes NOTHING, has the running style that will see him out of the league in two-three seasons...he'll be the featured back for a playoff/super bowl caliber team...and make less than a million dollars (that's just me guessing because he runs so hard he will be out of the league in no time)...

In a perfect world, they would pay based off of performance in all pro sports...but then it would turn into a TO circus of everyone becoming me, me, me, me...

Either way, the NFL is HUGE...and the players get treated far worse (money wise) than any other major American sport.

And in all reality, football does the most long term damage to these players as well...

Amnorix
05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
The only way to fix it, in my opinion, is for said scale and TWO year deals with an option year...the average NFL career makes these rookies try and get as much as humanly possible because most of them only have one contract to make their money...whether it be the massive rookie one they sign or the second contract they sign like LJ...

No, usually the real money is when they hit free agency the first time. Keep in mind that only 1st round picks get decent money -- even 2nd rounder's money isn't great, especially on the guaranteed side. Rookies who actually turn out to be decent hit big twice, at least.

Lets say LJ played out his rookie contract and the foot injury happened his final season...he only signed for what, like 7 million total for the first 5 years he was in the NFL? Yeah, 7 million is a lot to you or me but when guys like Brian Cardinal are making 50 million dollars for 6 years of NBA service...I can see why the NFL guys ask for so much money when they are top picks...or holdout after breakout seasons...the organizations always have all of the leverage.

The economics of the other sports are VERY different. 82 or 162 games versus 16. 12 players or 25 players versus 53. Tom Brady makes less than JD Drew or something silly like that. Garnett/Pierce/Allen ALL make more than ANY NFL player. And the reason is 100% because NFL economics are very different.

In baseball you have a 25 man roster, but only about 13 matter ALL that much, and with about 4 superstars you are a dominant team.

Basketball -- 5 guys on the court at any point in time, and 12 people total on the team.

Football -- 22 starts, plus special teamers. Your great QB doesn't matter worth a damn without an OLine and some decent WRs.

It goes on and on. The economics just aren't the same.

Amnorix
05-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't disagree...I'm just saying the NFL is in a tough predicament with these contracts...not only for rookies, but for veterans...or for guys like Ryan Grant, who makes NOTHING, has the running style that will see him out of the league in two-three seasons...he'll be the featured back for a playoff/super bowl caliber team...and make less than a million dollars (that's just me guessing because he runs so hard he will be out of the league in no time)...

In a perfect world, they would pay based off of performance in all pro sports...but then it would turn into a TO circus of everyone becoming me, me, me, me...

Either way, the NFL is HUGE...and the players get treated far worse (money wise) than any other major American sport.

And in all reality, football does the most long term damage to these players as well...

The NFL does have an NFL-wide perofrmance based bonus, but it's relatively small dollars, and only applicable to younger players -- like first 3 years.

And yes, football does do more bodily damage than any toher sport. That's obvious.

Basileus777
05-20-2008, 03:55 PM

I agree that you would have to have short contracts with a pay scale. But I think 2 years is too short, I would give them a 3 year deal and then they become RFAs. You'd have to get rid of poison pills too. The players would benefit by becoming free agents sooner, and while first round picks might earn less, other players who've earned the money would benefit. I would rather have this system than the current one if I was a player. Good players would earn a lot more by getting to their 2nd and 3rd contracts much sooner.

NBA players earn a lot more because they have 15 men on their rosters instead of 53. Even with NFL revenue being much higher, NFL players are never going to earn as much as an NBA player. But yeah, you can't blame the player for wanting as much money as they can get, thats why the system needs to be fixed.

dirk digler
05-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I agree that you would have to have short contracts with a pay scale. But I think 2 years is too short, I would give them a 3 year deal and then they become RFAs. You'd have to get rid of poison pills too. The players would benefit by becoming free agents sooner, and while first round picks might earn less, other players who've earned the money would benefit. I would rather have this system than the current one if I was a player. Good players would earn a lot more by getting to their 2nd and 3rd contracts much sooner.

NBA players earn a lot more because they have 15 men on their rosters instead of 53. Even with NFL revenue being much higher, NFL players are never going to earn as much as an NBA player. But yeah, you can't blame the player for wanting as much money as they can get, thats why the system needs to be fixed.

I agree with most of that except RFA isn't really free agency. Most restricted free agents get like $1-$2 million per year at the most. They need the ability to pay those guys more money but allow the team to get the right of first refusal or match.

Basileus777
05-20-2008, 03:59 PM

I don't think the NFL should implement guaranteed contracts, it wouldn't work for football, but they haven't destroyed basketball. The NBA salary structure/system works rather well, I'd argue that it works better than the current NFL system.

Hootie
05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
No, usually the real money is when they hit free agency the first time. Keep in mind that only 1st round picks get decent money -- even 2nd rounder's money isn't great, especially on the guaranteed side. Rookies who actually turn out to be decent hit big twice, at least.

The economics of the other sports are VERY different. 82 or 162 games versus 16. 12 players or 25 players versus 53. Tom Brady makes less than JD Drew or something silly like that. Garnett/Pierce/Allen ALL make more than ANY NFL player. And the reason is 100% because NFL economics are very different.

In baseball you have a 25 man roster, but only about 13 matter ALL that much, and with about 4 superstars you are a dominant team.

Basketball -- 5 guys on the court at any point in time, and 12 people total on the team.

Football -- 22 starts, plus special teamers. Your great QB doesn't matter worth a damn without an OLine and some decent WRs.

It goes on and on. The economics just aren't the same.
I understand the economics...and the roster size and the amount of games played etc. etc. etc.

But a guy like Michael Strahan who was only worth like $20M last year during his divorce case...

Yikes. You'd think the star players would have more than the $100M+ Tim Salmon made during his MLB playing days LMAO

Hootie
05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't think the NFL should implement guaranteed contracts, it wouldn't work for football, but they haven't destroyed basketball. The NBA salary structure/system works rather well, I'd argue that it works better than the current NFL system.

They only destroyed the dumb teams...I think the NBA has the best system in sports...and it's not even that good.

Teams are starting to be smarter with the money they spend...this was the best year for the NBA since Jordan's last year, by far.

blueballs
05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Vick must of had to pay some of that bonus money back
after all

Basileus777
05-20-2008, 04:08 PM
I agree with most of that except RFA isn't really free agency. Most restricted free agents get like $1-$2 million per year at the most. They need the ability to pay those guys more money but allow the team to get the right of first refusal or match.

You could change the RFA system, I just think there should be something in place to encourage players to resign with the team that drafted them. You don't want players leaving the teams that drafted them after only 3 years, it would make draft picks much less valuable. At least give teams the right to match any offer for these players.

The NBA uses Larry Bird rights to do this, but that wouldn't work with a hard cap.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-20-2008, 07:01 PM
They paid him more than the #1 overall got I believe.

Mecca
05-20-2008, 07:03 PM
They paid him more than the #1 overall got I believe.

The Overall contract is worth more but the guaranteed money is less, it's not the first time this is happened.

Mr. Laz
05-20-2008, 07:40 PM
you better be looking to the NFLPA ...... they are the one's blocking a rookie salary cap.

if it was up to the owners the NFL would already have one.

Mr. Laz
05-20-2008, 07:41 PM
The owners don't appear to care.
wrong

the owners want one and the players are blocking it

Sure-Oz
05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Ridiculous contract

pikesome
05-20-2008, 08:06 PM

At this point Dorsey ain't worth what he's going to get paid.

The chance Dorsey isn't worth a 10th of what he'll get is not small. Being a first round pick doesn't mean he'll be great.

CrazyPhuD
05-20-2008, 08:15 PM

The chance Dorsey isn't worth a 10th of what he'll get is not small. Being a first round pick doesn't mean he'll be great.

Now to be fair he's one of carl's first round picks. When was the last time carl screwed up a high first round pick, especially a DT? These guys are locks to be all pro's that's why they get the big bucks!

pikesome
05-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Now to be fair he's one of carl's first round picks. When was the last time carl screwed up a high first round pick, especially a DT? These guys are locks to be all pro's that's why they get the big bucks!

Ryan Simms.

or even the mother of 1st round shite hype:

http://grg51.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/03/27/890424.jpg

I think Dorsey will be something special. That's a large part gut though, we need some pudding.

the Talking Can
05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
that is f'in retarded.....Vet players have to understand how screwed up that is...

the only thing the NBA does better than the NFL is the rookie salary structure....a win win for Franchises and Vets.....

that is 10-15 mill that could have gone to older, proven players.....

mikey23545
05-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Carl just needs to get it done. We have 2 first rounds and he knew he was going to have to pay big big money to both of them.

Man, it's easy to write checks on someone else's account, huh?

Mecca
05-20-2008, 09:12 PM
The players won't agree to any of that because they see it as taking money out of the league.

Basileus777
05-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Upshaw won't agree to any of that because it will cost the agents money.

FYP

Mecca
05-20-2008, 09:20 PM
If the owners wanna do something the first thing they need to do is fix the sharing so there isn't a have and have not system in the cap. If the cap keeps going up eventually you'll have 10 teams right on it and everyone else way under it..

The Chiefs can't spend with the Cowboys.

Brock
05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
If the owners wanna do something the first thing they need to do is fix the sharing so there isn't a have and have not system in the cap. If the cap keeps going up eventually you'll have 10 teams right on it and everyone else way under it..

It's already that way.

Brock
05-20-2008, 09:37 PM

This is the way it is. Deal with it.

Mecca
05-20-2008, 09:38 PM
It's already that way.

Pretty much, that's why several teams are bitching, I know people were making fun of Ralph Wilson in that other thread but you know the Chiefs are alot closer to him than say the Redskins.

This getting done properly is essential to the future of the Chiefs, if it stays like it is now they will become a have not team.

Basileus777
05-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Pretty much, that's why several teams are bitching, I know people were making fun of Ralph Wilson in that other thread but you know the Chiefs are alot closer to him than say the Redskins.

This getting done properly is essential to the future of the Chiefs, if it stays like it is now they will become a have not team.

Yep, but thats why we should hope the owners, and not the players union get their way.

el borracho
05-20-2008, 09:50 PM

I'm not sure that is the case. Typically, the Chiefs are right at the cap. Also, I'm 85% sure I have read that all NFL teams must spend some specified minimum percentage of the cap. Is this not true?

the Talking Can
05-20-2008, 09:52 PM
all NFL teams must spend some specified minimum percentage of the cap. Is this not true?

yes

Mecca
05-20-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure that is the case. Typically, the Chiefs are right at the cap. Also, I'm 85% sure I have read that all NFL teams must spend some specified minimum percentage of the cap. Is this not true?

Yes there is a floor, but you can see a stark difference in how the Chiefs do business and how the Cowboys do it.

el borracho
05-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Sure it is different but if I am not mistaken Carl has historically had the Chiefs near the cap and often over the cap. It is only the last two years that the Chiefs have been well under the cap. I don't see ownership as cheap; I see Carl as foolish with the money. Really take a moment and think about Hicks' last contract or any of the old CBs we have bought in free-agency since Carter and Hasty departed. For all the talk of being a tough SOB negotiator Carl has gotten the shaft on a lot of signings.

jjchieffan
05-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I have a question on this topic. In this story on nfl.com, it said, "The Falcons' haste in finalizing the deal with Ryan received a boost when word leaked the NFL owners, who met Tuesday in Atlanta, were about to opt out of a labor deal with the players' union in 2011. Before the owners' unanimous vote, the deal could not have gone through 2013.

The Falcons and Ryan's agent, Tom Condon, already had agreed on six years as the basis for their deal, and to make that happen they needed to complete the negotiations by Tuesday.

"We couldn't have gotten a six-year contract if we didn't get this deal done by 4 today," Blank said." So what does that mean for the rest of the nfl teams?

Coogs
05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
How in the world are the Falcons going to sign all of the rest of their draft picks? Just the pro rated portion of his signing bonus is right at 5.8 million a year. And from an ESPN article, I got these figures on what teams salary caps for rookies are. That includes all drafted rookies and all free agent rookies that are signed. Chiefs are Number one in cap space this season and Falcons were number two, but my goodness...

KC 12(picks) $8,221,790
ATL 11(picks) $7,918,670

Brock
05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
The salary cap is meaningless.

Coogs
05-22-2008, 11:44 AM
The salary cap is meaningless.

Apparently! :shrug:

cadmonkey
05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
I really feel that there should be a Rookie Salary Cap to handle this crap. I understand why verteran players are getting so upset with these rookie contracts. I mean they haven't proven shit to anyone, and if they want a huge contract they should earn it.

Buehler445
05-22-2008, 12:06 PM
I really feel that there should be a Rookie Salary Cap to handle this crap. I understand why verteran players are getting so upset with these rookie contracts. I mean they haven't proven shit to anyone, and if they want a huge contract they should earn it.

Agreed. Even if he is medocre, he is vastly overpaid. Depending on where the cap goes from here, it could be terribly crippling if he busts.

Easy 6
05-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Its really hard to believe that a rookie contract cap hasnt been implemented yet, this is retarded.

beach tribe
05-26-2008, 08:40 PM
I have to go on record, and say that I think Atlanta has made a huge mistake.

Trying to recover from this Mike Vick crap has really caused this organization to make some bad moves. Passing on Dorsey, for what I predict will be a huge bust in Ryan, and then paying him Manning money. Unbelievable.

I think this will set them back for many years.....**** em. Thanks for Dorsey dumbasses.

SBK
05-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Trying to recover from this Mike Vick crap has really caused this organization to make some bad moves. Passing on Dorsey, for what I predict will be a huge bust in Ryan, and then paying him Manning money. Unbelievable.

I think this will set them back for many years.....**** em. Thanks for Dorsey dumbasses.

I was at Wal-Mart the other day here in Atlanta and they are already selling Matt Ryan Falcons shirts there. I know what you're thinking, no big deal......

These shirts have a sweaty Matt Ryan with his black eye stripes holding his shoulder pads, similar to what you'd see during a game from the sidelines---in his Falcons uniform. Poor guy is already being touted as the face of the franchise and he's not even taken a training camp snap. :LOL:

Rausch
05-26-2008, 09:23 PM

The Dorsey pick looks better and better as time passes...

chiefs1111
05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I was listening to espn or maybe it was the nfl network the other day and they said that i first salary cap in 93 was 34 million dollars, which is the amount of Ryan's bonus today..... Just blows my mind

blueballs
05-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Sims can by Krispie Kreams for decades
Ryan can by Kripie KReam franchies for decades

HMc
05-26-2008, 10:45 PM
A rookie cap would be about as pointless as the current one.

They need a rookie pay scale, ala the nba.

It's about the only thing the NBA does right

Coach
05-26-2008, 10:46 PM
A rookie cap would be about as pointless as the current one.

They need a rookie pay scale, ala the nba.

It's about the only thing the NBA does right

I agree as well.

Mecca
05-27-2008, 12:41 AM
I was listening to espn or maybe it was the nfl network the other day and they said that i first salary cap in 93 was 34 million dollars, which is the amount of Ryan's bonus today..... Just blows my mind

That should tell you how much more money the league makes today and how much more it is worth in general.

Also they'll never have a scale that even comes close to looking like the NBA scale. The most a rookie in the NBA can make is 3 mill, considering how much more important the draft is to the NFL than any other sport I don't see it looking anything like that.

HMc
05-27-2008, 12:50 AM
That should tell you how much more money the league makes today and how much more it is worth in general.

Also they'll never have a scale that even comes close to looking like the NBA scale. The most a rookie in the NBA can make is 3 mill, considering how much more important the draft is to the NFL than any other sport I don't see it looking anything like that.

Generally i like your takes but no one has suggested the scale would be using the same numbers as the NBA, and you're being retarded ust bringing it up.

chiefs1111
05-27-2008, 12:52 AM

What do you think the scale would be if they got a rookie cap?????

Mecca
05-27-2008, 01:45 AM
See that's where it becomes an issue, players are going to want shorter contracts to agree to having less money be in it for rookies.

You'll then end up in a spot where guys drafted after the first 2 rounds may only be on 1 or 2 year deals.

HMc
05-27-2008, 02:02 AM
See that's where it becomes an issue, players are going to want shorter contracts to agree to having less money be in it for rookies.

You'll then end up in a spot where guys drafted after the first 2 rounds may only be on 1 or 2 year deals.

So what? It's not like the NFL has to compete for talent, players arent going to run for the CFL becuase they're only getting 2 year deals in the NFL.

Normal people don't have job security that lasts more than 2 years.

Mecca
05-27-2008, 02:10 AM
So what? It's not like the NFL has to compete for talent, players arent going to run for the CFL becuase they're only getting 2 year deals in the NFL.

Normal people don't have job security that lasts more than 2 years.

It would actually penalize a team that drafts really well later in the draft, they wouldn't have good players tied up to small money for any period of time.

Also it would kill team depth, a player that was drafted to start in a year or 2 could bolt on you.

HMc
05-27-2008, 02:21 AM
It would actually penalize a team that drafts really well later in the draft, they wouldn't have good players tied up to small money for any period of time.

Also it would kill team depth, a player that was drafted to start in a year or 2 could bolt on you.

So you make rookie contracts 4 year minimums? Like I said, th players only have market power IF YOU GIVE IT TO THEM.

You're acting like this isn't feasible, which is silly, and you think you probably know that.

Mecca
05-27-2008, 02:23 AM
So you make rookie contracts 4 year minimums? Like I said, th players only have market power IF YOU GIVE IT TO THEM.

You're acting like this isn't feasible, which is silly, and you think you probably know that.

I'm just saying you'll have to give up something to get something, in order to lower rookie pay you'll almost certainly have to give up the amount of years those players can be signed to.