PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Building new deck..need advice on bid!!

petegz28
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
I am looking to replace my current 10x10 deck with a 12x14 deck. All CCA. I have a current bid of $2400 + materials. That includes tear down and haul away of my old deck and building 9 stairs.

Is this a fair bid?

ChiTown
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
In before Phobia

seclark
05-21-2008, 12:17 PM
In before Phobia

he probably hasn't stopped shaking yet.
sec

Phobia
05-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Are you doing it on the downlow or doing permits and inspections?

Phobia
05-21-2008, 12:18 PM
In before Phobia

Heh. I'm not too good at decks though.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Heh. I'm not too good at decks though.

What are you good at? Installing toilets? :)

petegz28
05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Are you doing it on the downlow or doing permits and inspections?

down low

DeezNutz
05-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Why the minimal size increase since you're anticipating spending some decent money to begin with?

Phobia
05-21-2008, 12:24 PM
What are you good at? Installing toilets? :)

Nah - actually I didn't start getting business from the Planet until after we did Brian's deck:

http://i29.tinypic.com/21ki90i.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/314pliq.jpg

petegz28
05-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Why the minimal size increase since you're anticipating spending some decent money to begin with?

oh i dont know i dont want to make it too big. It was $600 more to go to a 16x14...

plus my current deck is in bad shape and needs to go...

DeezNutz
05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
oh i dont know i dont want to make it too big. It was $600 more to go to a 16x14...

plus my current deck is in bad shape and needs to go...

Cool.

I was guessing it was a replace job more than anything else. Maybe it's just me, but the difference between say $3000 and $3500 isn't enough not to get exactly what one wants.

petegz28
05-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Cool.

I was guessing it was a replace job more than anything else. Maybe it's just me, but the difference between say $3000 and $3500 isn't enough not to get exactly what one wants.

so is $3k plus materials a fair price? ofr a 16x 14 I mean?

DeezNutz
05-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Cool.

Of course you're increasing your square footage quite a bit, so never mind me.

DeezNutz
05-21-2008, 12:31 PM
so is $3k plus materials a fair price? ofr a 16x 14 I mean?

I was pricing decks awhile back...

Yeah, the $2400 seems about right. You're essentially doubling your actual cost because of labor. Approximately 1/2 materials, 1/2 labor. Plus the convenience of not having to worry or f**k with anything, which is cool. Same thing with the 14 x 16 option.

Maybe Phobia comes through with a CP discount.

blueballs
05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
out with the wood go with pavers
then just build steps
or find the dog ramp thread for a cool ramp

Phobia
05-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Maybe Phobia comes through with a CP discount.

It's not so much the CP discount as it is the cash discount. Plus you guys know I've done work for a couple dozen CP people and everybody's happy.

I've done work for at least 3 people Pete knows personally so I think he can feel safe giving me a call.

DeezNutz
05-21-2008, 01:20 PM
It's not so much the CP discount as it is the cash discount. Plus you guys know I've done work for a couple dozen CP people and everybody's happy.

I've done work for at least 3 people Pete knows personally so I think he can feel safe giving me a call.

Sorry. I intended no negative connotations with my statement, just that you might come through with a fair estimate.

jiveturkey
05-21-2008, 01:24 PM
I'll certainly toss out a recommendation for Phobia. He painted my old deck and had it lookin real purdy.

I've since moved.

HemiEd
05-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I would pm Endelt260, he had a guy do his deck, and it really came out nice.

petegz28
05-21-2008, 01:30 PM
I would pm Endelt260, he had a guy do his deck, and it really came out nice.

right now I am just looking to see if my friend is ****ig me on his bid or not? I want to give him the job as I know he kicks ass at building decks but I am not going to get screwed either.

wutamess
05-21-2008, 01:36 PM
right now I am just looking to see if my friend is ****ig me on his bid or not? I want to give him the job as I know he kicks ass at building decks but I am not going to get screwed either.

You were screwed from the get go.

Phobia
05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Sorry. I intended no negative connotations with my statement, just that you might come through with a fair estimate.

Oh - none taken at all. I just like to give full disclosure to prevent misunderstandings.

Phobia
05-21-2008, 01:39 PM

Dude - don't jack around with friendships on your own house. If something goes wrong your friendship is strained or gone. I've cleaned up more than one of those situations and have had it happen to me where a "close family friend" still owes me $1500 from 3 years ago. It's not worth the hassle, even if he's saving you a couple hundy.

DeezNutz
05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Oh - none taken at all. I just like to give full disclosure to prevent misunderstandings.

:thumb:

Phobia
05-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Oh - and BTW, I don't need work right now. It makes no difference to me if I do your deck or work on one of the other projects we have on the schedule. I like to help out my internet acquaintances whenever possible because I know it's going to help solidify our reputation within this community.

petegz28
05-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Dude - don't jack around with friendships on your own house. If something goes wrong your friendship is strained or gone. I've cleaned up more than one of those situations and have had it happen to me where a "close family friend" still owes me $1500 from 3 years ago. It's not worth the hassle, even if he's saving you a couple hundy.

he has done work for me before i tust him on that. i just i know he can get greedy when moeny is invovled.

Phobia
05-21-2008, 01:52 PM
he has done work for me before i tust him on that. i just i know he can get greedy when moeny is invovled.

We all do, dude. On the flip side, you're doing the same thing by covering your back with this very thread.

The $2400 is pretty close to market. I'd feel pretty comfortable with that in your shoes. If he's your friend and done work for you before then continue that relationship by all means.

Two things I'd watch for - proper flashing around the ledger board. The ledger is the board which runs next to your house. It should actually be set off your house an inch or so to prevent trapping moisture between the board and your home. The other thing is to make sure everything is built to code even if you're doing it on the d/l. If it's not to code you'll have all sorts of trouble when it comes time to sell the property.

That means not just getting your friend's assurances, have him put it on paper and SHOW you where it says he can use 4x4 posts on a deck of your size (because he can't).

HemiEd
05-21-2008, 02:12 PM

Truer words have never been spoken, the same thing goes with sales. I learned the hard way, early in my sales career, never sell anything to friends or family.

In my 20s, I used to get so emotionally involved in the products I sold, that I would always be talking about them. I ended up selling my Mother a front loader Westinghouse washer. Big mistake, big mistake, I heard about that POS at every family gathering, for what seemed like forever.

By the very fact that petegz28, is concerned ahead of time about getting screwed, this deal is doomed.

RJ
05-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Truer words have never been spoken, the same thing goes with sales. I learned the hard way, early in my sales career, never sell anything to friends or family.

In my 20s, I used to get so emotionally involved in the products I sold, that I would always be talking about them. I ended up selling my Mother a front loader Westinghouse washer. Big mistake, big mistake, I heard about that POS at every family gathering, for what seemed like forever.

By the very fact that petegz28, is concerned ahead of time about getting screwed, this deal is doomed.

Truer words were never spoken. I do my best to not sell to friends and family. Also, I'd personally be very offended if a friend went out to shop my prices. That would basically say to me "I don't trust you" and I doubt the friendship would be the same after.

And as Ed said, if you're thinking you're going to get screwed things are going to go bad. There has to be trust in any business dealing.

el borracho
05-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I recommend getting 2 or 3 local contractors to come out and give you estimates. It would be very difficult for anyone on chiefsplanet to estimate that job without seeing the property, knowing the details of what you want and knowing local prices.