PDA

View Full Version : News FAA bans anti-smoking drug Chantix for pilots, air controllers

38yrsfan
05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
WASHINGTON -- The Federal Aviation Administration today banned pilots and air traffic controllers from using a popular new anti-smoking drug after a medical safety group warned that the medication had apparently contributed to auto accidents and other mishaps that posed risks to both users and others.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-smokedrug22-2008may22,0,2923950.story

The agency had approved the drug last summer, before drug safety regulators began investigating reports of serious psychiatric problems, including suicidal behavior, sharp shifts in mood and vivid nighttime episodes some patients call "Chantix dreams."

KCChiefsMan
05-22-2008, 08:28 PM
you know, I was considering taking this even after these bad side effects. I have a few friends who have taken it and swear by it with no problems and some other people I've talked to. But I still don't want to risk it.

pr_capone
05-22-2008, 10:34 PM
A friend of mine lost his best friend since childhood because of this drug.

It became a pretty popular story..... do a google search for Carter Albrecht

wazu
05-22-2008, 10:35 PM
I have a friend who started on this and went into a deep depression. I later read that it was being seen as potentially linked to suicides. He said he never had suicidal thoughts, but he did get the lowest he'd ever gotten in his life, so he quit Chantix. (And managed to go ahead and quit smoking, too.)

Abba-Dabba
05-23-2008, 12:11 AM

I'm presently on Chantix. Have had no problems.

Carter Albrecht didn't follow the prescription or his doctors instructions. The medication didn't cause his death. Him drinking and getting drunk on his quit day, which they tell you not to do, played the biggest role in his death. He died because of his own actions while trying to break into another persons home.

Pablo
05-23-2008, 12:31 AM
My grandma smoked for 40+ years and quit on the stuff in two months.

My dad has smoked for 20+ and he's currently on it. They don't seem any different since taking it, aside from not smoking..

StcChief
05-23-2008, 07:35 AM
If there's a question, a pilot is not who you want taking it until proven otherwise.

but I don't fly anyway.

Brock
05-23-2008, 08:11 AM
The suicide rate among chantix users is lower than the general population. However, it wouldn't be the first time the FDA has caused the death of innocent people.

nomad
05-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Smoked for 25+ years.

Asked my Dr. for a perscription.

Took Chantix for 3 weeks, the side effects for me included indegestion and "the fog" some refer to.

Reduced intake to only 1 pill per day after 2 weeks.

By the 3rd week I stopped taking Chantix all together.

Have been smoke free for 2 months now.

Shit works.... just need to monitor how your body/brain reacts to it and adjust accordingly. I took less than the reccommended dosage and quit, hopefully for ever.

Mr. Plow
05-23-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm getting ready to start taking this. My doctor talked with me about these suicidal side affects, but said the percentage that it actually occurs in is pretty small. But, still have to worry a little bit.

Like someone else said, I think if I follow the doctors orders, it shouldn't be a problem.

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 09:23 AM
I've quit smoking before, just use willpower, make the decision to not put the cig to your lips, and you will be smoke free within minutes....

StcChief
05-23-2008, 09:27 AM
I've quit smoking before, just use willpower, make the decision to not put the cig to your lips, and you will be smoke free within minutes....but.... a good :Pimp: cigar? :hmmm:

Brock
05-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I've quit smoking before, just use willpower, make the decision to not put the cig to your lips, and you will be smoke free within minutes....

Sounds like it worked great for you, considering you're a smoker. LMAO

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Sounds like it worked great for you, considering you're a smoker. LMAO

yup, I quit for 10 years, just started again because I felt like doing it after my divorce in Jan.

COchief
05-23-2008, 10:00 AM

He died because he was a drunken wife beater, nothing to do with Chantix. If you are going to try and blame a drug, why not all that alcohol in his system?

kchero
05-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I am currently in school for and work within the pharmaceutics field and to be harshly honest, questions concerning this medication are typically involved around the people that are either taking the medication improperly or they are involved in external lifestyles (excessive amounts of alcohol, drugs, other distructive habits). In this sad and litigious society it seems that most people try to find other reasons for why some tragic events occur instead of blaming themselves or the approperiate party. Now by no means am I saying that there aren't current medications that do not have adverse effects that are of concern to the general public, but in general it is evident that people these days need to look more towards themselves and see what is at fault than the system around them as they look to point the finger.

crazycoffey
05-23-2008, 11:17 AM
.....In this sad and litigious society it seems that most people try to find other reasons for why some tragic events occur instead of blaming themselves or the approperiate party......but in general it is evident that people these days need to look more towards themselves and see what is at fault than the system around them as they look to point the finger.

QFT....

DeepPurple
05-23-2008, 01:57 PM
I started smoking in 1970 while in the Army stationed in Korea. I have a very addictive personality and thought I would be a smoker for the rest of my life. I smoked 2-1/2 packs a day for 36 years until December 2006. My doctor had been bugging me to quit for a couple of years and mentioned Chantix, so finally I said give me a prescription.

I quit smoking after five days on Chantix. It said if you had quit in the first 30 days you can get refills up to 4 months if necessary. However, Chantix did give me nightmares and by the end of the first month I had been off cigarettes for about 25 days, so I didn't have it refilled. I'm still smoke free after almost 17 months.

Quiting when I did probably saved my life. In April 2007 I took a stress EKG and my cardiologist said we need to do an angioplasty because of blockage in your heart. On May 10th, just over a year ago, I went in for the procedure and they had to put in a stent. Had I still been smoking those 5 or 6 more months I probably would of had a heart attack.