PDA

View Full Version : Life Springfield, MO. #10 Worst Place to Raise a Family

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 09:49 AM
The 10 Worst Places to Raise a Family (from best to worst)

Springfield, Missouri
Dayton, Ohio
Corpus Christi, Texas
Flint, Michigan (Country's highest violent-crime rate)
Columbia, South Carolina
Waco, Texas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Beaumont, Texas (Long-standing air-quality challenges)
Clarksville, Tennessee (Low educational spending: $6,729 per student)

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/family-fatherhood/The_100_Best_Places_to_Raise_a_Family.shtml

I was born and raised in Springfield, raised my own children there until last summer, and I think its a decent place to live/raise a family. Im sure there are way more than 10 cities in the US worse than Springfield for raising your family. I know there are several Springfieldians here, what are your thoughts?

DaKCMan AP
05-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Ha Ha

|Zach|
05-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Really surprising.

Brock
05-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I wonder why that is. It's not even the worst city in MO by a long shot.

Abba-Dabba
05-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Wichita in at 11. Columbus, Ga. in at 4. For the best places.

I think my expectations may be alittle too high.

Fairplay
05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Too many meth labs?

HonestChieffan
05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
its not on a coast

jidar
05-22-2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Springfield&state=MO

Springfield has relatively high crime rates per capita. Normally if you would have a crime rate that high you would at least get the benefit of being in a big city as well for all the culture and things to do, but Springfield is small, boring and crime ridden all at the same time. It's like the worst of big cities combined with the worst of small cities.

Direckshun
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
THIS IS A WITCH HUNT.

Donger
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM

Springfield has relatively high crime rates per capita. Normally if you would have a crime rate that high you would at least get the benefit of being in a big city as well for all the culture and things to do, but Springfield is small, boring and crime ridden all at the same time. It's like the worst of big cities combined with the worst of small cities.

What if your family are criminals?

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:02 AM

It wasn't that way when I was growing up. You almost never heard of a bank/convenience store being robbed, or someone being shot. Now you hear about it every single day. When I was a kid there werent many minorities in Springfield either, now theres almost as many minorities as whites. Coincidence? :hmmm: Minorities cant be blamed on most of the meth labs that get busted every year though.

Skyy God
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM

Purportedly, the rate of child abuse is pretty high in Springfield. To what extent that contributes to the high overall crime rate, I don't know.

jidar
05-22-2008, 10:06 AM

Well in that case Springfield is a great opportunity.

jidar
Purportedly, the rate of child abuse is pretty high in Springfield. To what extent that contributes to the high overall crime rate, I don't know.

I was thinking education might be an issue, but I don't know.

POND_OF_RED
I'd say the bible thumpers run the place down more than the drug addicts.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Im not religious but that statement is ludicrous. I would much rather live in a neighborhood full of bible-thumpers than a neighborhood full of meth-heads.

Brock

yes, all those horrible churches are lowering the property value of the meth labs.

Skyy God
It wasn't that way when I was growing up. You almost never heard of a bank/convenience store being robbed, or someone being shot. Now you hear about it every single day. When I was a kid there werent many minorities in Springfield either, now theres almost as many minorities as whites. Coincidence? :hmmm:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?racism02.wav=racist

raybec 4
05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I have lived in several bigger cities than Springfield and I chose to come back here and raise my family, I still think it was a good decision. We have an excellent school system.The crime rates they are talking about can't be reflective of crimes against persons vs other types of crime.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?racism02.wav=racist

Are you denying that blacks commit more violent crimes than whites? Are we really going to have to go down this road?

Brock
05-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Are you denying that blacks commit more violent crimes than whites? Are we really going to have to go down this road?

You know how I know you're stupid?

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:12 AM
You know how I know you're stupid?
I guess trends and statistics are stupid...no wait...they're fixed by "The Man".

Skyy God
05-22-2008, 10:14 AM

Because there's a ton of minorities in Springfield, right? Jackass.

Per the 2000 census:

White Non-Hispanic (90.5%)
Black (3.3%)
Hispanic (2.3%)
Two or more races (2.0%)
American Indian (1.7%)
Other race (0.9%)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Springfield-Missouri.html

Brock
05-22-2008, 10:14 AM

Per the 2000 census:

Black (3.3%)
Hispanic (2.3%)
Two or more races (2.0%)
American Indian (1.7%)
Other race (0.9%)

OMG INDIANS ARE DRUNKS THAT'S WHY THERE'S SO MANY DUIS

POND_OF_RED
05-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Im not religious but that statement is ludicrous. I would much rather live in a neighborhood full of bible-thumpers than a neighborhood full of meth-heads.

The meth-heads usually stick to themselves. I am much more afraid of the large crowds that gather outside of Lamberts everyday to see who can sing gospel songs louder.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:18 AM

Per the 2000 census:

Black (3.3%)
Hispanic (2.3%)
Two or more races (2.0%)
American Indian (1.7%)
Other race (0.9%)

You ever been here dipshit? I was born and raised here. When I was a kid minorities in Springfiled were almost non-existant. The ratio is a lot higher now than it was in the 80's. Violent crime is a lot higher now than it was in the 80's.

luv
05-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Born and raised in Springfield. I think it depends on which part of town you live in. The neighborhood I grew up in was pretty good. Now, while it isn't too bad, I would choose to live elsewhere.

I'm surprised to see that there are so many people that hate it here.

luv
05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
The meth-heads usually stick to themselves. I am much more afraid of the large crowds that gather outside of Lamberts everyday to see who can sing gospel songs louder.

Lamberts is in Ozark.

kepp
05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
The meth-heads usually stick to themselves.

Well...until their houses explode.

Brock
05-22-2008, 10:20 AM
You ever been here dipshit? I was born and raised here. When I was a kid it minorities in Springfiled were almost non-existant. The ratio is a lot higher now than it was in the 80's. Violent crime is a lot higher now than it was in the 80's.

You think it might have something to do with drugs, specifically meth, you freaking moron? Maybe that might explain Joplin? Hmm?

Unbelievable.

MVChiefFan
05-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Saying that you hear about banks being robbed and someone being shot "every single day" is a little over the top. Bank robberies and homicides are NOT a norm here. That's rediculous.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:22 AM
You think it might have something to do with drugs, specifically meth, you freaking moron? Maybe that might explain Joplin? Hmm?

Unbelievable.

Yeah I guess you're right, drugs didnt enter Springfield until recently. Dumb****.

Demonpenz
05-22-2008, 10:24 AM
drugs are pretty big deal in springfield

Brock
Yeah I guess you're right, drugs didnt enter Springfield until recently. Dumb****.

Meth arrived there in force within the past 10 years, just like everywhere else. Dumb racist cocksucker.

luv
And Springfield is not the top meth producing city in the state. Looking for which town is.

Missouri's Meth Capital Status Questioned
Created: 3/1/2008 8:11:08 PM
Last updated: 3/1/2008 8:11:48 PM

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Missouri has been called the meth capital of the United States.

There's a reason: Missouri has led the nation in meth lab seizures every year since 2001, and 2007 was no exception.

According to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency's Web site, there 1,189 labs seized last year. And Missouri State Highway Patrol statistics show the number of busts in the second half of 2007 was
greater than in the second half of 2006.

Still, the statistics are somewhat misleading. For one thing, they don't measure quantity.

In 2007, authorities confiscated roughly 40 kilograms of meth. Last year, California seized 221 labs, but netted 1,958 kilograms of meth, almost 50 times more than Missouri, according to the Drug Enforcement Agency Web site.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

AP

MTG#10
Saying that you hear about banks being robbed and someone being shot "every single day" is a little over the top. Bank robberies and homicides are NOT a norm here. That's rediculous.
Almost everyday on the radio (US97) during the early morning local news minute the DJ reports a robbery or multiple robberies that happened the day before or overnight. Im not talking home robberies, Im talking armed robberies of businesses.

Stinger
Ok, My take. I have lived up and down the Mid-west (Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Missouri) and travel a lot for my work. I must say I disagree with this study. Let me preface this I am a 37 married with 2 kids (11 and 7) and have been back in Springfield since 1995. Grew up here from 84-89.

As far as raising a family I would not do it any other place. Great Schools, great make up of old and new people (not your typical college town), A lot to do family wise - Religion in the buckle of the bible belt, Entertainment - lakes galore with in 70 miles, lots of outdoor activities. Great weather for the most part. Can enjoy being outside probably 10 and 1/2 months of the year. With-in 3 hours of 3 major cities in the midwest(KC, St Louis, Tulsa). More importantly 2 hours and 20 minutes from Arrowhead. !!!!!!!! Only 6 hours from Dallas. Cost of living compared to large cities is way below. Although we are the 3rd largest city in MO. I can go on and on but this servey is total hogwash IMO.

I will say this yes the crime rate is going up and is worse than it was 10 years ago but because of the growth this city has had in the last 10 years it had no choice but to go up. Unfortuantly that is usually the price of progress more people coming in and the crime rate goes up.

POND_OF_RED
05-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Lamberts is in Ozark.

Well in that case let me change my original thought:
I'd say the Cardinals fans run the place down more than the drug addicts. :p

MVChiefFan
05-22-2008, 10:25 AM
I grew up and graduated in KC then moved to a little piece of crap town called Mountain View (MO). I've lived here in Springfield for almost five years and absolutely love it. To me it would be a perfect place to raise a family.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Meth arrived there in force within the past 10 years, just like everywhere else. Dumb racist cocksucker.
Im racist because blacks commit an astronomically higher amount of violent crimes than whites and I have statistics to back it up? I guess I better get me a white sheet then. Ignorant head-in-the-sand ****tard.

BTW - if you read my original post I said minorities cant be blamed on all of the meth lab busts every year.

Skyy God
05-22-2008, 10:29 AM
You ever been here dipshit? I was born and raised here. When I was a kid minorities in Springfiled were almost non-existant. The ratio is a lot higher now than it was in the 80's. Violent crime is a lot higher now than it was in the 80's.

Try again. From '86 to '95 and then a couple stints after college.

I'd ask you to produce some stats to back up your assertion, but I'd have better luck giving a monkey a typewriter and asking him to bang out the complete works of Shakespeare.

Brock
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Im racist because blacks commit an astronomically higher amount of violent crimes than whites and I have statistics to back it up? I guess I better get me a white sheet then. Ignorant head-in-the-sand ****tard.

Yeah, you probably should, because the facts aren't on your side.

MVChiefFan
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Lamberts is in Ozark.

Who wouldn't want to raise a family in a place you can take your two year old to get repeatedly pelted in the head with hot, steaming rolls!

luv
05-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Try again. From '86 to '95 and then a couple stints after college.

I'd ask you to produce some stats to back up your assertion, but I'd have better luck giving a monkey a typewriter and asking him to bang out the complete works of Shakespeare.

I'd say there are more minorities here now than there were in the 80's. However, my surroundings in the 80's was elementary school. There were like 5-10 minority kids in the entire school. It could just be that, once I was able to expand my horizons, I noticed more of the different races in Springfield.

stumppy
05-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I was born and raised in Springfield. Spent about 40 of my 45 yrs there. Although it's not the quite laid back town it used to be I just don't see the 10th worst rating.
My money says the main reason for the rating is a direct result of meth. From what I hear and have seen the meth problem is moving into a multi generational thing and that is not good at all. When you have parents who basically tell their teenagers it's OK to do drugs then related problems in the community will increase a hell of a lot faster than normal.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah, you probably should, because the facts aren't on your side.

Blacks commit more total murders and rapes than whites and Mexicans combined - FACT.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm

And before you go blaming poverty...

There are 3 times as many whites living in poverty than blacks, yet still commit only about half as many murders and rapes - FACT.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/histpov/hstpov2.html

Blacks make up a little over 13% of the TOTAL US population, and commit nearly HALF of all reported rapes. Blacks make up a little over 13% of the TOTAL US population, and commit MORE THAN HALF of all murders.

Bob Dole
05-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Not to derail the Springtown bashing, but how the hell does KCK rate higher than KCMO?

Skip Towne
05-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Not to derail the Springtown bashing, but how the hell does KCK rate higher than KCMO?

Because Missouri sucks?

Pablo
05-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Not to derail the Springtown bashing, but how the hell does KCK rate higher than KCMO?Haha. That is pretty funny.

KCK is the devil's armpit.

Bob Dole
05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Because Missouri sucks?

And Wyandotte County is the Garden of ****ing Eden all of a sudden?

Pablo
05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Now we've got a racial fact-war going down.

Off to DC this thread goes.

Hammock Parties
05-22-2008, 10:49 AM
I like Springfield. It's homey and has good chinese.

Extra Point
05-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Burning the meth lab operator inside the lab sounds like a good sentence to me. I lived in the "low-rent" areas instead of the dorms when I went to school at SMS in the late 70's: 8th & Della, 21st & W. Chestnut. The neighbors were nice to us, though.

The problem with living in Springfield was, and may still be, that Springfield was a city ranked within the lowest 10 which had the lowest living wage. The cost of living was low, though.

Wherever you live, it can be good or bad.

Well, back to the lawn chair by the garage door....

Skip Towne
05-22-2008, 10:50 AM

Looks like it. The truth hurts, huh?

Thig Lyfe
05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Blacks commit more total murders and rapes than whites and Mexicans combined - FACT.

There are 3 times as many whites living in poverty than blacks, yet still commit only about half as many murders and rapes - FACT.

Blacks make up a little over 13% of the TOTAL US population, and commit nearly HALF of all reported rapes. Blacks make up a little over 13% of the TOTAL US population, and commit MORE THAN HALF of all murders.

You're implying causation. That's what makes you racist. Not all black people are violent, and violent black people aren't violent because they're black.

Bob Dole
05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Looks like it. The truth hurts, huh?

Sure. That's what it is.

Bob Dole hasn't been to KCK since the early 90's, and it wasn't any too spiffy back then. Maybe it's changed.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:55 AM

Good luck finding that monkey.

|Zach|

You still didn't name a number of cities that are half its size and have more to do...

Pablo
Sure. That's what it is.

Bob Dole hasn't been to KCK since the early 90's, and it wasn't any too spiffy back then. Maybe it's changed.No, it's still a trash-hole.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:56 AM
You're implying causation. That's what makes you racist. Not all black people are violent, and violent black people aren't violent because they're black.
Im not implying anything, Im just stating facts. Of course they dont commit more violent crimes because of the color of their skin, anyone with half a brain like Brock knows that. It still doesnt make the statistics any less true.

Frazod
05-22-2008, 10:57 AM

Missouri is the host animal.

Kansas is the blood sucking parasite that could not survive without the host.

luv
05-22-2008, 10:58 AM

There seem to be more and more Cubs fans in this area. Maybe THAT'S it. :hmmm:

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Excellent analogy. Thats my new sig. :thumb:

Frazod
05-22-2008, 11:01 AM
There seem to be more and more Cubs fans in this area. Maybe THAT'S it. :hmmm:

Big influx of retards, eh? :)

Pablo
05-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Big influx of retards, eh? :)Well, they're probably still Mizzou fans...so yeah, I'd say you're on to something.

Donger
05-22-2008, 11:03 AM

Still fighting the Civil War? Missouri lost. Get over it.

Frazod
05-22-2008, 11:06 AM

I'm not in the past; I'm in the now.

Missouri has a much larger population, major cities, professional teams, tourism and industry. Kansas has..... wheat?

Sorry, you lose.

redbrian
05-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Sure. That's what it is.

Bob Dole hasn't been to KCK since the early 90's, and it wasn't any too spiffy back then. Maybe it's changed.

Not a bit, Crimeadot Co. still has the highest crime in the metro and it is spreading south into Johnson Co.

The Legends has lost several Businesses due to crime and shootings.

Donger
05-22-2008, 11:10 AM

Missouri has a much larger population, major cities, professional teams, tourism and industry. Kansas has..... wheat?

Sorry, you lose.

Lose?

Honestly, watching the Kansas vs. Missouri battles is like watching two retarded kids fight.

OPChief
05-22-2008, 11:10 AM

Springfield, Missouri
Dayton, Ohio
Corpus Christi, Texas
Columbia, South Carolina
Waco, Texas

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/family-fatherhood/The_100_Best_Places_to_Raise_a_Family.shtml

I was born and raised in Springfield, raised my own children there until last summer, and I think its a decent place to live/raise a family. Im sure there are way more than 10 cities in the US worse than Springfield for raising your family. I know there are several Springfieldians here, what are your thoughts?

Well, it is in Missouri. So strike 1.

OPChief
05-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Not a bit, Crimeadot Co. still has the highest crime in the metro and it is spreading south into Johnson Co.

The Legends has lost several Businesses due to crime and shootings.

Like who? Is that why Planet Sub left? :D

Frazod
05-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Lose?

Honestly, watching the Kansas vs. Missouri battles is like watching two retarded kids fight.

Then don't watch, oil boy.

RNR
05-22-2008, 11:13 AM

LMAO

RJ
05-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Lose?

This is just the undercard. For the main event it's West Virginia versus Arkansas.

Skyy God
05-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Good luck finding that monkey.

I was asking for stats concerning the change in racial makeup, which might have somewhat supported your position, as opposed to the meaningless evidence you presented. Racists aren't renowned for their intellectual prowess, so I'm not surprised you couldn't follow the argument.

Donger
05-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Then don't watch, oil boy.

I didn't say that watching retards fight isn't fun.

Groves
05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
We just moved here last summer. I had no idea I was affecting the overall balance so much. sorry.

CoMoChief
05-22-2008, 11:51 AM
90% of statistics are made up anyways.

Fairplay
05-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Born and raised in Springfield.

That explains the decline of springfield.

Baby Lee
05-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Well...until their houses explode.

Then they stick to the stucco of neighboring houses.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I was asking for stats concerning the change in racial makeup, which might have somewhat supported your position, as opposed to the meaningless evidence you presented.
Well, since Springfield isnt really a "thriving metropolis" so its a little hard to find population stats divided by race over the last 20 years. But being in Springfield every day of my life with the exception of vacations gives me enough knowledge of how many minorities there are today compared to the 80's. Im not saying that the recent boost of crime in Springfield is totally the fault of blacks and hispanics, but there is definately a trend - much like the trend of most bigger cities.

Discuss Thrower
05-22-2008, 12:08 PM
There have been robberies around the DU campus that makes some uneasy, in addition to the girl who was attacked by some crazy SOB that tried to burn her with a lighter.

ChiefsOne
05-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I grew up and graduated in KC then moved to a little piece of crap town called Mountain View (MO).

Why and how?

ChiefsOne
05-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Per the 2000 census:

Black (3.3%)
Hispanic (2.3%)
Two or more races (2.0%)
American Indian (1.7%)
Other race (0.9%)

2000 census, that was 8 years ago. There are quite a few more Hispanics and Asians than Blacks. There have been more Asians since I have been in '88 than black people. The Hispanic population is not correct because most of them are illegal.

Stinger
05-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Because Missouri sucks?

Yepp we are just trying to keep up with those in Fred Phelps land and Okie Fadoki Territory :shake:

acesn8s
05-22-2008, 12:27 PM
The 9.5% of population that are not white clearly commit all of the crime.:spock:

Valiant
05-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Maybe Springfield actually reports their crimes instead of looking the other way..

MVChiefFan
05-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Why and how?

I know, I know. Trust me, it's a loooooong uneventful story. But, ironically, my wonderful and beautiful wife moved there from Wichita at almost the exact same time. We met and rest was history. I guess things happen for a reason.

acesn8s
05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Ah! Now we have found the root of the problem.:hmmm:

acesn8s
05-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Haha. That is pretty funny.

KCK is the devil's armpit.
KCMO has more police shooting minorities.

acesn8s
05-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Maybe Springfield actually reports their crimes instead of looking the other way..
Maybe it is because the highway patrol bust alot of drug runners in the area therefore adding to the Springfield crime rate although the crime really has nothing to do with Springfield itself.:hmmm:

Or it is the educational system in place that breeds logic like that used by the locals like MTG#10.

DMAC
05-22-2008, 01:11 PM
It should say the north side Springfield.

South and north...totally seperate towns.

Braincase
05-22-2008, 01:14 PM

Sorry, you lose.

We do a better job keeping the riff-raff out.

And meth-labs don't count as industry.

OnTheWarpath15
05-22-2008, 01:20 PM
This list has no credibility whatsoever since Detroit, Michigan and Gary, Indiana aren't in the Top 2.

FAX
05-22-2008, 01:21 PM
I like Kansas. The most amazingly beautiful girl I've ever had the pleasure of knowing was from Overland Park. Long, blonde hair. Blue green eyes. Heartwarming smile. All physical attributes perfect in every way. Whenever I think of Kansas, I think of her.

Needless to say, I think of Kansas in the shower a lot.

FAX

Frazod
05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
We do a better job keeping the riff-raff out.

And meth-labs don't count as industry.

That's because no one wants to go there.

Including riff-raff. :)

ChiefsOne
05-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I know, I know. Trust me, it's a loooooong uneventful story. But, ironically, my wonderful and beautiful wife moved there from Wichita at almost the exact same time. We met and rest was history. I guess things happen for a reason.

Well guess one good thing turned out of that. I am originally from Thayer about 40 minutes from Mt. View, but I moved as soon as I could, I know about the small town life. It's OK when you are born and raised there and don't know any better, but I would never move back after having lived in KC and here for quite a few years.

MOhillbilly
05-22-2008, 01:30 PM
i like it here, lots of clients for my meth operation.

ClevelandBronco
05-22-2008, 01:31 PM

The glass is always half full for you...

Brock
05-22-2008, 01:38 PM
i like it here, lots of clients for my meth operation.

You probably don't sell to too many "minorities".

MOhillbilly
05-22-2008, 01:42 PM
You probably don't sell to too many "minorities".
what a minorities?

Frazod
05-22-2008, 01:43 PM
what a minorities?

LMAO

Brock
05-22-2008, 01:46 PM
what a minorities?

They the ones be committin the crimes.

FAX
05-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Well guess one good thing turned out of that. I am originally from Thayer about 40 minutes from Mt. View, but I moved as soon as I could, I know about the small town life. It's OK when you are born and raised there and don't know any better, but I would never move back after having lived in KC and here for quite a few years.

Isn't Thayer the Watermelon Capital Of The World?

That's a huge positive, right there.

FAX

Frankie
05-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I wonder where Springfield would rank if Mohillbilly moved out. :hmmm:
;)

rtmike
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Surprised to see Wichita so high. Every time I come back home to visit we hear of some awful crime happening there. Last time some folks were taken out and shot, left for dead and one or more survived. Middle of winter with snow on the ground. I just remember family and friends always saying how bad it was getting in Wichita.

I guess I'm sheltered up here, we don't have a lot of murdering this side of the river.

Skip Towne
05-22-2008, 02:07 PM

FAX

No, that's Thayer, Kansas

Frazod
05-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Surprised to see Wichita so high. Every time I come back home to visit we hear of some awful crime happening there. Last time some folks were taken out and shot, left for dead and one or more survived. Middle of winter with snow on the ground. I just remember family and friends always saying how bad it was getting in Wichita.

I guess I'm sheltered up here, we don't have a lot of murdering this side of the river.

This list is horseshit. A quarter of the south Chicago suburbs would make the worst spot in Kansas or Missouri look like f#cking Shangri-la by comparison.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Lamberts is in Ozark.

I enjoyed the food there. Not sure it was worth the 2 hour wait for a table, but it was good food and entertaining all at the same time. It was definitely the only time in my life I've been served a dinner roll by someone 60 ft away.

dirk digler
05-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I never cared for Springfield and I always drive the hour to go to KC rather than the hour to go to Springfield. Alot of people I know that live here feel the opposite and go to Springfield alot.

MTG#10
05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I never cared for Springfield and I always drive the hour to go to KC rather than the hour to go to Springfield. Alot of people I know that live here feel the opposite and go to Springfield alot.

I noticed you live in Clinton. Ive been there one time. A few years ago when we played Miami on a Friday night because of a hurricane. They wouldnt televise it in Springfield because of high school football. Clinton was the closest town that picked up KC local television so being the true fan that I am, I drove to Clinton just to catch the game on TV. Some little hick bar, cant remember the name but we had a pretty good time. They didnt have enough beer for us though - first time in my life Ive been to a bar that ran out of beer. :cuss:

Hammock Parties
05-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Lambert's is the shit. I go there every summer.

FAX
05-22-2008, 02:23 PM
No, that's Thayer, Kansas

Good Lord. How many Watermelon Capitals Of The World do we need?

FAX

Skip Towne
05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Good Lord. How many Watermelon Capitals Of The World do we need?

FAX

There is only the one.

ChiefsOne
05-22-2008, 02:35 PM

FAX

Not that I have ever heard, I am sure that's not even close since there are no watermelon patches other than in someones garden.

luv
05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Maybe it is because the highway patrol bust alot of drug runners in the area therefore adding to the Springfield crime rate although the crime really has nothing to do with Springfield itself.:hmmm:

Or it is the educational system in place that breeds logic like that used by the locals like MTG#10.

Damned I-44.

luv
05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
It should say the north side Springfield.

South and north...totally seperate towns.

Exactly. Just like in most towns, there is definitely a "wrong side of the tracks".

JimNasium
05-22-2008, 03:25 PM
According to this site Springfield is one of the top 100 communities for young people: http://www.americaspromise.org/MediaPlay.aspx?id=9822

B_Ambuehl
05-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I've actually lived in 2 of the cities on the list. Springfield and Corpus Christi. Corpus is much more of a shithole but here are a lot of dumbasses in Springfield.

LiL stumppy
05-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Springfield isn't bad. The North Side and South side are different areas, but the North isn't as bad as some lead on. I go to a school North of North Spf. and we have a huge district line, so about 50% of our school is the white trash from the North Side. You could go walking around Springfield on the North side and not be in that much "danger" compared to many other big cities. I like it here, there is a lot to do and easy to get around. Don't see the logic in a "worst place to live" rating.

bogey
05-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Damn! I've been pitching Springfield to my wife for years as the place I want to escape from LA to.

88TG88
05-22-2008, 03:57 PM
w00t southern california is not on the list !

stumppy
05-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Exactly. Just like in most towns, there is definitely a "wrong side of the tracks".

And where exactly would that be in Springfield ?

Stinger
05-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Damn! I've been pitching Springfield to my wife for years as the place I want to escape from LA to.

i have changed my mind about this whole thing. I am in full support of this study and and if it cuts down on traffic and gets rid the riff raff that is moving in :D :p

Actually bogy I believe our biggest influx has been those from the West Coast. Sell their house out there for a lot come here to the area they love with more space to move around and are able to pay cash for the house and have some and in most cases quite a bit left over.

Stinger
05-22-2008, 04:03 PM

John Q's drive way?

stumppy
05-22-2008, 04:07 PM
John Q's drive way?

Thats about what I was thinking....that and everything south.

FAX
05-22-2008, 04:07 PM
There is only the one.

Not good news. Not good, at all. I don't know if this country can stand a watermelon shortage on top of everything else.

FAX

bogey
05-22-2008, 04:09 PM
i have changed my mind about this whole thing. I am in full support of this study and and if it cuts down on traffic and gets rid the riff raff that is moving in :D :p

Actually bogy I believe our biggest influx has been those from the West Coast. Sell their house out there for a lot come here to the area they love with more space to move around and are able to pay cash for the house and have some and in most cases quite a bit left over.

I'm sure you guys are getting tired of all the coastal invasions. And yes, as far as moving, my main reason is, I can sell my house out here, pay cash for a house in the midwest and have enough cash leftover to buy a business or just retire and sit in my garage and drink all day.

Stinger
05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm sure you guys are getting tired of all the coastal invasions. And yes, as far as moving, my main reason is, I can sell my house out here, pay cash for a house in the midwest and have enough cash leftover to buy a business or just retire and sit in my garage and drink all day.

Truth be told I like it. It has definatly helped IMO the progressive outlook of the city and the city planning. Keep on coming, so far we have plenty of room and plus if the Coastal people would please help this town with traffic contol, and teach those in charge that you don't have to put up a stop light to contol traffic.

bogey
05-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Truth be told I like it. It has definatly helped IMO the progressive outlook of the city and the city planning. Keep on coming, so far we have plenty of room and plus if the Coastal people would please help this town with traffic contol, and teach those in charge that you don't have to put up a stop light to contol traffic.

You DO NOT want anyone from southern california helping you out with your traffic problems. :)

Stinger
05-22-2008, 04:25 PM
You DO NOT want anyone from southern california helping you out with your traffic problems. :)

LMAO LMAO

You make a good point.

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 04:34 PM

You know that neighborhood where drunks get in fights in their yard?

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 04:35 PM
According to this site Springfield is one of the top 100 communities for young people: http://www.americaspromise.org/MediaPlay.aspx?id=9822

I think those are orphans.

dirk digler
05-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I noticed you live in Clinton. Ive been there one time. A few years ago when we played Miami on a Friday night because of a hurricane. They wouldnt televise it in Springfield because of high school football. Clinton was the closest town that picked up KC local television so being the true fan that I am, I drove to Clinton just to catch the game on TV. Some little hick bar, cant remember the name but we had a pretty good time. They didnt have enough beer for us though - first time in my life Ive been to a bar that ran out of beer. :cuss:

There ain't shit in this town especially bars which sucks.

Braincase
05-22-2008, 04:41 PM
That's because no one wants to go there.

Including riff-raff. :)

Noone wants to go here play us in basketball.

FAX
05-22-2008, 04:42 PM
I wonder where the 10 worst places to grow watermelons are?

I'll bet Iceland is one.

FAX

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 04:44 PM

I'll bet Iceland is one.

FAX

Parking lots in general are bad places. Does it have to be a specific location?

FAX
05-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Parking lots in general are bad places. Does it have to be a specific location?

No. Not so far as I'm concerned, Mr. Rain Man.

I'll bet the top of a guy's head would make the top ten. Difficulty in balancing the melons through maturity, and all that.

FAX

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 04:52 PM
No. Not so far as I'm concerned, Mr. Rain Man.

I'll bet the top of a guy's head would make the top ten. Difficulty in balancing the melons through maturity, and all that.

FAX

In that case, you'd have to add, "Inside another watermelon".

RJ
05-22-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm no farmer but I'd bet that subterranean caverns are bad places to grow watermelons. Probably also one of the 10 worst places to raise a family, maybe worse than Springfield. Sightless worms like them, though. The caverns that is, not the watermelons.

FAX
05-22-2008, 05:18 PM
You may be right, Mr. RJ. However, so far as modern science is aware, watermelons are sightless, also. At least, I hope they are. I would hate to hear a late-night noise at the window, look outside, and realize that I'm being spied upon by a bunch of nosy-ass, freak watermelons who found a ladder and a pair of binoculars somewhere.

FAX

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 05:28 PM
You may be right, Mr. RJ. However, so far as modern science is aware, watermelons are sightless, also. At least, I hope they are. I would hate to hear a late-night noise at the window, look outside, and realize that I'm being spied upon by a bunch of nosy-ass, freak watermelons who found a ladder and a pair of binoculars somewhere.

FAX

Off topic, but if watermelons were sentient, do you think there would be a lot of tension between seedless watermelons and seeded watermelons? I mean, we all know that there'd be tensions between watermelons and other types of melons like cantaloupe and honeydew, but I think that seeded and seedless might not get along, too.

RJ
05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
That would be enough to make me want to move to a gated community.

RJ
05-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Off topic, but if watermelons were sentient, do you think there would be a lot of tension between seedless watermelons and seeded watermelons? I mean, we all know that there'd be tensions between watermelons and other types of melons like cantaloupe and honeydew, but I think that seeded and seedless might not get along, too.

I think the more advanced seedless melons would be the ruling party, fueling a simmering resentment within the more numerous but subjugated seeded class. Having seeds would be an obvious advantage in terms of reproduction and eventually a revolution would occur. I could be wrong, of course.

FAX
05-22-2008, 06:45 PM
I think you're right, Mr. RJ.

My feeling is that the seedless would eventually revolt and demand the redistribution of seeds. The ensuing power struggle would ultimately lead to chaos, anarchy, and eventual meloncholy.

FAX

Skip Towne
05-22-2008, 06:48 PM
I can see you guys need training in melonology.

Frankie
05-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I would hate to hear a late-night noise at the window, look outside, and realize that I'm being spied upon by a bunch of nosy-ass, freak watermelons who found a ladder and a pair of binoculars somewhere.

Once I had a couple of melons spying on me,... no wait,... I was spying on THEM.

Never mind.

FAX
05-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Pshawaldefall, Mr. Skip Towne. I know my melonology.

Who sang "Brand New Key" and "Look What They've Done To My Song, Ma."? ... Melonie.

What is skin pigment called? ... Melonin.

What is abnormally dark tarry feces containing blood (usually from gastrointestinal bleeding)? ... I don't know and I don't care.

FAX

BigRedChief
05-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Are you insane?:hmmm: Why?

Born and raised in Springfield. I've been a north sider and south sider. But since I've traveled thew world and the USA I noticed that the nickname "Belt buckle of the bible belt" is very adapt at describing the place.

Not everyone obviously but there are way too many bible thumping hypocrites in that town for my taste. Too many rednecks and intolerant people.

The cost of living is the same as KC but I'm getting $40K more per year to do my job than in Springfield.

My mom and brother, cousins, uncles, aunts etc stil live in Springfield but myself liveing in Springfield.....Nada chance.

BWillie
05-23-2008, 12:04 AM

Born and raised in Springfield. I've been a north sider and south sider. But since I've traveled thew world and the USA I noticed that the nickname "Belt buckle of the bible belt" is very adapt at describing the place.

Not everyone obviously but there are way too many bible thumping hypocrites in that town for my taste. Too many rednecks and intolerant people.

The cost of living is the same as KC but I'm getting $40K more per year to do my job than in Springfield.

My mom and brother, cousins, uncles, aunts etc stil live in Springfield but myself liveing in Springfield.....Nada chance.

I don't know about that. Springfield is a shithole. I don't care what anybody says. I've never seen so many bible thumping broke ass white people in my entire life, and I am from Sioux City, Iowa. The average house hold income in that city is like 24K. The cost of living is quite a bit less than KC, and it's not that KC is expensive.

My friend lives in Springfield in a pretty nice one bedroom apartment and pays $225. A chick I'm dating lives in a similar one bedroom apartment in Overland Park for $800.

I do enjoy their strip clubs though. But then again, strip clubs are supposed to be dirty.

ChiefsCountry
05-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Springfield is a nice city but its growing which means the burbs of Nixa, Ozark, and Republic are the places to live and raise a family. Southside isnt that bad, the rest is iffy to live in. Central part is the hippy liberal side bc of the college, north of that is the white trash.

ClevelandBronco
05-23-2008, 12:30 AM
What's that place that they keep showing on "Cops?" You know, that place where they arrest the guy who isn't wearing a shirt?

That place has to be on the list.

ChiefsCountry
05-23-2008, 12:36 AM
What's that place that they keep showing on "Cops?" You know, that place where they arrest the guy who isn't wearing a shirt?

That place has to be on the list.

Wichita?

ClevelandBronco
05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Wichita?

That's what I'm asking. Wichita place is that?

Tribal Warfare
05-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I know Springfield isn't the best place to live, but in comparison to a big metropolis it's great place to raise kids.

acesn8s
05-23-2008, 01:15 AM

Once they caught the BTK killer it jumped significantly.

acesn8s
05-23-2008, 01:39 AM
According to this site Springfield is one of the top 100 communities for young people: http://www.americaspromise.org/MediaPlay.aspx?id=9822 Let me get this right. Old, meth dealing, Cardinal fans are the reason that Springfield is rated so low?

MOhillbilly
05-23-2008, 07:02 AM

you post like theres a horrorshow on the northside. just keep you a mean dog and a glock and mind your own and youll be fine.
but what do i expect from a bunch of pussies.

MOhillbilly
05-23-2008, 07:12 AM

sounds like its been awhile since youve traveled outside your comfort zone.

ChiefsOne
05-23-2008, 07:25 AM

I'll bet Iceland is one.

FAX

FAX must really like watermelons

Skyy God
05-23-2008, 09:39 AM

I'm faced with the opposite situation. My dad has a successful practice in Springfield and wants me to take to over at some point (somewhere around 2011, presumably). I'd at least double what I'm making now and would actually have some pull with my secretaries, which would be nice for a change.

The big downside is the location.

stumppy
05-23-2008, 10:05 AM
you post like theres a horrorshow on the northside. just keep you a mean dog and a glock and mind your own and youll be fine.
but what do i expect from a bunch of pussies.

Thats about what i was thinking. Well, the last part anyways.

vailpass
05-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I used to bang a girl from SpringMo when I was in grad school.
A hot little bitch who went to undergrad at SWMS.
Don't know what kind of place it is to raise kids but Springfield gets my vote for one of the best places to snag an absolute **** bunny.

Fairplay
05-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm faced with the opposite situation. My dad has a successful practice in Springfield and wants me to take to over at some point (somewhere around 2011, presumably).

A successful and profitable Meth lab operation in that part of the country would be hard to pass up on.

bogey
05-23-2008, 12:04 PM

The only time I actually lived in Springfield was when I was in college several years ago. Back when SMS was still SMS (1976). I thought it was a great town. I thought it was a big town with a small town feel. Should I actually move back (which isn't realistic at this point) I would buy someplace with a few acres outside of town. Apparently it would be the south side according to other posters. I have this fantasy of slowing down and getting out of the rat race of LA and TV production. I'm not bugged by the bible thumping, redneck, hypocritical crowd, I just avoid and ignore them.

MOhillbilly
05-23-2008, 12:18 PM
The only time I actually lived in Springfield was when I was in college several years ago. Back when SMS was still SMS (1976). I thought it was a great town. I thought it was a big town with a small town feel. Should I actually move back (which isn't realistic at this point) I would buy someplace with a few acres outside of town. Apparently it would be the south side according to other posters. I have this fantasy of slowing down and getting out of the rat race of LA and TV production. I'm not bugged by the bible thumping, redneck, hypocritical crowd, I just avoid and ignore them.

go north dallas and dade counties are only 20 minutes from springfield and land is cheap and lots less people.
dont let these people paint spfld. with a broad stroke. its still a nice place to live. and the northside isnt all white trash(white trash dont go to work). is it diffrent from the 70s and 80s? ofcourse but shit my grandpa told me stories about how rough it could be back in the 20s. so it is what you make of it.

luv
05-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I used to bang a girl from SpringMo when I was in grad school.
A hot little bitch who went to undergrad at SWMS.
Don't know what kind of place it is to raise kids but Springfield gets my vote for one of the best places to snag an absolute **** bunny.

WTF is SWMS? Do you mean SMSU?

Pablo
05-23-2008, 02:48 PM
WTF is SWMS? Do you mean SMSU?There's a Southwest Missouri State as well, I belive it's located in Cape Giradeau. A few hours from Springfield.

MTG#10
05-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Willard is just north of Springfield, about 5-10 minutes away and has one of the best school systems in MO. Its a nice little town but their water/sewer service is a total scam job. Besides that I like it here.

stumppy
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Willard is just north of Springfield, about 5-10 minutes away and has one of the best school systems in MO. Its a nice little town but their water/sewer service is a total scam job. Besides that I like it here.

WOW..I thought I was the only one that thought the SOB's at city hall were trying to screw me every chance they got.
I'd have to second everything you posted.

MTG#10
05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
WOW..I thought I was the only one that thought the SOB's at city hall were trying to screw me every chance they got.
I'd have to second everything you posted.

Do you live in Willard? Just wondering because your profile says Everton. And yes, Willard City Hall is full of con artists who know nothing about running a small town. Our new mayor is a dipshit too.

stumppy
05-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Do you live in Willard? Just wondering because your profile says Everton.

Lived in NW Spfld. for several years (Willard School Dist.) then in Willard for a couple of years before moving out here. Lil Stumppys' mom still lives in Willard so he stayed in school there.

MTG#10
05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Lived in NW Spfld. for several years (Willard School Dist.) then in Willard for a couple of years before moving out here. Lil Stumppys' mom still lives in Willard so he stayed in school there.

Yeah thats pretty crazy, I just found out your son and I live in the same neighborhood. I lived in Springfield when I went to Willard schools...Orchard Crest.

stumppy
05-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah thats pretty crazy, I just found out your son and I live in the same neighborhood. I lived in Springfield when I went to Willard schools...Orchard Crest.

You aren't the guy who owns the RV covered in Chiefs decals on the corner are you ?

MTG#10
05-23-2008, 05:42 PM
You aren't the guy who owns the RV covered in Chiefs decals on the corner are you ?
No but I know him. His name is Bryan Stewart. He owns Bryan College in Springfield.

stumppy
05-23-2008, 05:45 PM
No but I know him. His name is Bryan Stewart. He owns Bryan College in Springfield.

Aw, well, we'll have to get together this fall at the bar....forget the name, and watch a game. Or if you get real hard up for some football lil stumppy will be playing WR and CB for the WHS football team this year. I plan on making everyone of them.

MTG#10
05-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Aw, well, we'll have to get together this fall at the bar....forget the name, and watch a game. Or if you get real hard up for some football lil stumppy will be playing WR and CB for the WHS football team this year. I plan on making everyone of them.
The bar in Willard? The only two I know about in Willard are LA's and WF Codys. My brother is friends with LA (his real name is Shane) but I still havent been in there yet. I usually avoid Willard games because I always run into someone I went to highschool with, then I feel bad because I dont remember their name. LMAO

DMAC
05-23-2008, 07:47 PM
The bar in Willard? The only two I know about in Willard are LA's and WF Codys. My brother is friends with LA (his real name is Shane) but I still havent been in there yet. I usually avoid Willard games because I always run into someone I went to highschool with, then I feel bad because I dont remember their name. LMAOWF Codys makes a kick arse egg burger.

chagrin
05-23-2008, 07:48 PM

Springfield, Missouri
Dayton, Ohio
Corpus Christi, Texas
Columbia, South Carolina
Waco, Texas

Knowing what I know about people here, this doesn't surprise me a bit

chagrin
05-23-2008, 07:49 PM
WF Codys makes a kick arse egg burger.

and in chimes torso boy, WTF have you been dude???

DMAC
05-23-2008, 07:52 PM
and in chimes torso boy, WTF have you been dude???Well, I had to go to the store to get beer a few months ago, and well, having no arms or legs, it took me a damn long time.

luv
05-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Knowing what I know about people here, this doesn't surprise me a bit

:spock:

MTG#10
05-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Well, I had to go to the store to get beer a few months ago, and well, having no arms or legs, it took me a damn long time.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HtrYU6vWdiE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HtrYU6vWdiE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

DMAC
05-23-2008, 08:17 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HtrYU6vWdiE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HtrYU6vWdiE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Freakin arm havin' lucky ass.

I have to duct tape the cup on my damn head!