PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs’ rookie corners show talent

Tribal Warfare
05-22-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/630558.html

Chiefs’ rookie corners show talent
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The last time Brandon Flowers saw Patrick Surtain play football, he was a high schooler watching thanks to tickets Surtain himself provided.

The next time Flowers sees him play, they will be the starting cornerbacks for the Chiefs.

“I’ve thought about this a lot before, getting to play with him, and was always hoping it would happen,” said Flowers, the Chiefs’ second-round draft pick. “I’ve watched him play since he was a rookie. I always thought it would be nice but I never thought it would happen.”

Surtain and Flowers are related through marriage in a distant sort of way. Surtain’s older brother is married to Flowers’ first cousin.

Flowers, who grew up in south Florida, would get free Dolphins tickets from Surtain when Surtain played for Miami. That practice ended several years ago when Flowers went off to play in college at Virginia Tech and Surtain was traded to the Chiefs.

But the two didn’t lose touch. Surtain finally saw Flowers play in last season’s Orange Bowl when Virginia Tech played Kansas.

He came to see Flowers when the Chiefs brought him to Kansas City shortly before the draft. And he was one of the first ones to place the congratulatory phone call after the Chiefs selected Flowers.

“He was always telling me he was going to be in the league one day,” Surtain said. “I’m finally able to start keeping up with him and can finally see how good he is. I just never thought we would be playing together.”

The Chiefs drafted Flowers to replace Ty Law, who was released last winter. At 5 feet 9 and 187 pounds, Flowers is small for a cornerback, and he ran a slow time at last winter’s scouting combine.

None of that bothered the Chiefs. He breaks well on the ball and has been a physical player and a solid tackler in college.

“He definitely has what it takes to play in the league,” said Surtain, a two-time Pro Bowler with the Dolphins. “The thing that separates Brandon is that he’s a playmaker. He fits our style of defense. He can play cover 2, he’s physical, he’s a great tackler, and he has great ball skills. He comes up with big plays at big times, so he’s a perfect fit for us.

“He’s got a lot to learn, but he’s a great listener. We’ve only gone out there a couple of times, but he’s improved each and every practice. We brought him in to be a big part of this team, and I think he’s going to make the most of that.”

The Chiefs in the fifth round drafted Brandon Carr, another cornerback. He could eventually replace Surtain, who will turn 32 next month.

Carr played at a Division II college, Grand Valley State in Michigan. But he’s bigger than Flowers (6 feet, 207 pounds) and played mostly the same cover 2 system that he will play for the Chiefs.

“I was a late bloomer coming out of high school,” Carr said. “I wasn’t the biggest guy or the fastest guy. Once I got to college, that’s when I started to improve. I started to become the player I thought I could become. I figured if I just kept getting better and kept working hard, (NFL scouts) would find me.

“I worked out at the pro day at Michigan State. The coach there said to me, ‘How did we miss you?’ I told him I didn’t know. I was thinking the same thing. But I guess it worked out for the best.”

FAX
05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Cool story. No mention of stances.

FAX

Direckshun
05-22-2008, 01:25 PM
**** yes.

CrazyPhuD
05-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I dun like rookies...this team needs to contend now. we need to sign more 30+ year old vets to exorbitant contracts!!!! :cuss: :)

Direckshun
05-22-2008, 01:38 PM
**** yes **** yes **** yes **** yes.

If Flowers and Carr become our #2 and #3 CB this year.... my god. I couldn't imagine how forunate we'd be.

beach tribe
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
**** yes **** yes **** yes **** yes.

If Flowers and Carr become our #2 and #3 CB this year.... my god. I couldn't imagine how forunate we'd be.

**drool**

FD
05-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Good

Chiefs Pantalones
05-22-2008, 01:47 PM
YES!!! WHO NEEDS TEH OFFENSE WEHN U HAVES DA DEFENSE!!11!!11111 GO FEILDZ GOALZ AND PUNTZS!!!! I WUNA F@CK dUSTiN cOLLQUIT!!!!11eleven

StcChief
05-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Surtain will get him going in right direction.

FAX
05-22-2008, 01:50 PM
YES!!! WHO NEEDS TEH OFFENSE WEHN U HAVES DA DEFENSE!!11!!11111 GO FEILDZ GOALZ AND PUNTZS!!!! I WUNA F@CK dUSTiN cOLLQUIT!!!!11eleven

Miraculously, you have taken the words right out of my mouth, Mr. Vanilla Thunder.

Except for the part about Colquitt, of course.

FAX

beach tribe
05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
It was a food article, but the title doesnt really fit too well.

cdcox
05-22-2008, 01:56 PM
It was a food article, but the title doesnt really fit too well.

I agree. Not really any new information about their play on the field. Nothing to get excited about.

beach tribe
05-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Heh, A food article. I meant a good article.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Miraculously, you have taken the words right out of my mouth, Mr. Vanilla Thunder.

Except for the part about Colquitt, of course.

FAX

lol ;)

I'm just taking this whole rebuilding thing and the whole we'll probably only win 8 games in these next two years combined the best way I can...which is through humor.

I'm glad KU won the title this year, or I wouldn't be taking the rebuilding of one of my teams so lightly lol. I would be fine with it, because I know it's a "have to" but it makes it easier that one of my teams won the Championship so I'm fine for about 10 years. It's been that long lol. Before KU winning this year, the last of my teams to win a title was the Bulls in 98. Football is my first love, so it will be just as special when the Chiefs finally win another Super Bowl, which they will.

blueballs
05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Vermeil once called Patrick
Brandon Surtain

Chiefs Pantalones
05-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Vermeil once called Patrick
Brandon Surtain

Vermeil wears depends so it is/was understandable.

blueballs
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Brandon
Brandon
and almost Brandon

dirk digler
05-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Interesting article no where in that piece does it mention that they actually are showing talent.

ChiefRon
05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm stoked about these 2 young corners. Flowers looks like a stud from his college highlights, and I'm hoping we found a gem in Carr.

If these guys contribute right away, like it seems they will, it would allow us to be more agressive on defense. Imagine the possibilities...

kepp
05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm excited to see them play. I guess I had never looked up Flowers' stats - I didn't know he was that small. It seems like he plays (and hits) a lot bigger than he is.

Easy 6
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
GO GET'EM BRANDON!!!...we need you to step right in & execute, the way a fat kid needs cake.

Dave Lane
05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
I swear I think alot of people on here are retarded. Has no one gone through a preseason before? They have this hype crap on Jesse Haynes and Brian Shay and every other draftwit we get. they haven't done shit!!!! Can we wait till they play to "drool" Jeez!

Dave

KCJohnny
05-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I swear I think alot of people on here are retarded. Has no one gone through a preseason before? They have this hype crap on Jesse Haynes and Brian Shay and every other draftwit we get. they haven't done shit!!!! Can we wait till they play to "drool" Jeez!

Dave

How dare you speak against Brian Shay on this BBS?

beach tribe
05-22-2008, 06:06 PM

Dave

Chil out Debbie downer. It's fun to dream a little, and at least entertain the hope of hitting on these picks. That's about all we have right now, and there's nothing wrong with hoping for the best.

These two guys have a hell of a lot more potential than the scrubs you mentioned.

Skip Towne
05-22-2008, 06:10 PM
He's the same size as Kevin Ross. Give him #31.

FAX
05-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Dave

Can't we just sit back and enjoy your attitude instead?

FAX

Coach
05-22-2008, 07:02 PM
The thing is though, IIRC, the college he played for was a cover 2 scheme. That's probably one of the reasons, other than his intangables, that he got drafted.

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Dave

But this season is different. Herm and Carl did the drafting.

(Sigh.)