PDA

View Full Version : Life My trip to Los Angeles

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I recently took a new job that requires travel. They sent me to LA until June 30. This is my first trip to California, and I am enjoying it so far. The weather has been nice with highs in the 70's most of the time, (although it did hit 100 a couple of days last week). What has surprised me has been the reaction to my chiefs gear. I generally wear a Chiefs shirt and hat around when I am not working. I expected to catch alot of flack from Faider fans, but actually, just the opposite has been true. I had one feiders fan and one chargers fan rib me a bit, and several have complemented it. I was at Venice Beach and had a guy on a balcony yell out go Chiefs as I walked by him, and had a hottie say go Chiefs, Tony Gonzalez! Woohoo! as we met on the beach. I have some beautiful sunset pics at the beach if anyone wants me to post them.

StcChief
05-22-2008, 01:58 PM
post 'em. just don't wear it out at nite. some bad boy Faider fans might see you

seclark
05-22-2008, 01:58 PM
post a pic of the hottie.
thanks in advance,
sec

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
heh. I actually had to work a store in Compton Tuesday night. I had the hat on then too. I didn't even think about it.

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 02:00 PM
post a pic of the hottie.
thanks in advance,
sec

I didn't get a pic of her. sorry.

sedated
05-22-2008, 02:01 PM
did you visit tinyevl?

Brock
05-22-2008, 02:02 PM
The Chiefs are big in Socal for some reason.

seclark
05-22-2008, 02:02 PM
I didn't get a pic of her. sorry.

pretty messed up set of priorities if you ask me.
sec

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 02:04 PM

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 02:06 PM
did you visit tinyevl?

Does he live out here? I don't know who lives out here besides Cro. I know he lives in San Diego.

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 02:08 PM

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 02:10 PM
pretty messed up set of priorities if you ask me.
sec

Oh, I would have liked to have a pic of her, but she passed by too quick.

chasedude
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
What's your new job?

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I am working for a company out of Gravette, Arkansas, which is within an hour of where I live. I am currently working on a project for Best Buy for them. I work on a 3 person team that goes into the stores at close and upgrades their network. We put Cisco switches in the Geek Squad, run cat5 cabling, and hang wireless access points.

kepp
05-22-2008, 02:37 PM
heh. I actually had to work a store in Compton Tuesday night. I had the hat on then too. I didn't even think about it.

No red in 'da hood, please.

kaplin42
05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
JJ,

What part of LA are you staying in right now? I might be able to point out some things to do. If you like to party what bars to go to, resteraunts stuff like that.

I will say this, unless you're absolutely into the nightclub scene, Hollywood is not worth it.

chasedude
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
I am working for a company out of Gravette, Arkansas, which is within an hour of where I live. I am currently working on a project for Best Buy for them. I work on a 3 person team that goes into the stores at close and upgrades their network. We put Cisco switches in the Geek Squad, run cat5 cabling, and hang wireless access points.

Sounds like a pretty cool job! Any openings? ;)

There's times I wish I had a traveling job, traveling past the 10 counties I take care of. Driving around NE KS gets pretty boring.

kcxiv
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
No offense (looking at skip) If your the average white guy. Its not going to matter what color you wear.

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 02:43 PM
JJ,

What part of LA are you staying in right now? I might be able to point out some things to do. If you like to party what bars to go to, resteraunts stuff like that.

I will say this, unless you're absolutely into the nightclub scene, Hollywood is not worth it.
We just moved south to the Buena Park/ Anaheim area for a couple of weeks. We went to Hollywood last week. You are right, I wasn't too impressed. And the nightclubs are not my thing. I would be interested in some pointers though. I am off until June 1,and the wife and daughter are arriving by bus today so we can have a little vacation while the company picks up the motel bill.:p

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a pretty cool job! Any openings? ;)

There's times I wish I had a traveling job, traveling past the 10 counties I take care of. Driving around NE KS gets pretty boring.

I think they are hirng now, if not, then for the next project for sure. The pay is decent. This project pays me $220 per site, 4 sites per week, plus per diem. If you are interested let me know. I am friends with the project manager and can put in a word for you.

TinyEvel
05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Yo, I live out here between Culver City and Santa Monica. The West L.A. BB store is about 1/2 mile from my house.
Where are you staying?

TinyEvel
05-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Oh, just saw the other posts. In the O.C. try to get out to Newport peninsula (at the end of the 55 fwy) and/or Huntington Beach/pier. (I think it's at the end of Beach Blvd)

bogey
05-22-2008, 02:57 PM
There's a little theme park in Anaheim. It's called Disney something. Take your kids. It's the happiest place on earth.

kaplin42
05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
We just moved south to the Buena Park/ Anaheim area for a couple of weeks. We went to Hollywood last week. You are right, I wasn't too impressed. And the nightclubs are not my thing. I would be interested in some pointers though. I am off until June 1,and the wife and daughter are arriving by bus today so we can have a little vacation while the company picks up the motel bill.:p

Check your PM.

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 03:02 PM
There's a little theme park in Anaheim. It's called Disney something. Take your kids. It's the happiest place on earth.

LMAO Never heaard of that one. Might have to give it a try.

bogey
05-22-2008, 03:05 PM
LMAO Never heaard of that one. Might have to give it a try.

If you can go during the week rather than on a week-end your happiest place on earth experience will be much happier. Also, depending on the age of your kids, you should try California Adventure. It too is quite fun.

blueballs
05-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I bet she wants
your Larry Johnson

Carlota69
05-22-2008, 03:06 PM

And the most expensive. I was just there, and I loved it (I got free tix tho). I went to an Angels game as well.

Head into Laguna Beach and have a cocktail or food at a place called Las Brisas (sp?). Killer ceviche and unbelievable view. Also, in San Juan Capistrano, there is a beautiful mission built by the Spainards in the 1800's. Especially if you are catholic, or any relgion really, gorgeous mission and churches. Then for a cool hang, have a beer or listen to some cool live music, a place called the Coach House. Its in San Juan Cap as well.

Stewie
05-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Your wife is a trooper. A bus ride from MO to LA? That has to be grueling. Is she afraid to fly?

kcxiv
05-22-2008, 03:28 PM
**** Disneyland! supposed to make kids happy. I had a horrible experience there. lol

bogey
05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
**** Disneyland! supposed to make kids happy. I had a horrible experience there. lol

That's a bummer. Way to expensive of a place to have a horrible time. Fortunately for me, I've never had a bad time there.

Easy 6
05-22-2008, 03:36 PM
That first pic is great, plucked straight from a postcard.

If you end up back in Hollywood, the best place for a casual drink is the "Cat & Fiddle"...laid back atmosphere, no huge lines, you dont have to be Captain Hollywood to get in & last but not least, very reasonable prices for booze (for Hollywood anyway).

kaplin42
05-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Personally, I can't stand Disneyland. My GF likes to go once a year, and every year there are morons there with their 2 day old babys, and grandparents that are 80 yrs old and in the damn old people movers. and not one of them has any courtesy to maybe keep to the side, or not stop right in the middle of the walk way causing a huge traffic jam of people trying to get around them.

But, if you live out of state, and you don't often come to So. Cal. and you have a little one, it's kind of one of those things that you have to do.

sedated
05-22-2008, 03:46 PM

did uncle bad touch "help" you in the bathroom?

kcxiv
05-22-2008, 04:00 PM
did uncle bad touch "help" you in the bathroom?
Sorry, i didnt have one of your favorite kind of experiences.

88TG88
05-22-2008, 04:03 PM

What street ?

The weathers been pretty crazy this week. 90s on monday, windy on wednesday, and cool today. trippy stuff

Phobia
05-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Congrats. Glad to hear you're enjoying your job and the travel experience. Keep on enjoying yourself. Life is far too short not to. I'm glad your family is able to join you. The pictures are incredible. Well done.

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 04:42 PM

I think you are officially a Blood now. Or maybe a Crip; I don't remember which is which.

L.A. Chieffan
05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
The Chiefs are big in Socal for some reason.

Weird but kinda true. The Chief fan ratio is kinda high here. I think it's because you either we're a Raider fan or you hated them.

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Your wife is a trooper. A bus ride from MO to LA? That has to be grueling. Is she afraid to fly?

No, it was just too expensive to fly with such notice. She is quite the trooper. No way I would travel 1600 miles with my 3 year old daughter by bus.

Mr. Plow
05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
What street ?

The weathers been pretty crazy this week. 90s on monday, windy on wednesday, and cool today. trippy stuff

Sounds like Kansas.

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Yo, I live out here between Culver City and Santa Monica. The West L.A. BB store is about 1/2 mile from my house.
Where are you staying?

We did the BB in Culver City last week. We are staying about a mile from Knotts Berry Farm this week.

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 07:18 PM
What street ?

I think the street we went to for food was artesia. The BB was actually in a brand new shopping center right off the interstate. No food in there yet though, so we had to go hunt for it. We got very nervous.

L.A. Chieffan
05-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Go to In 'N' Out. Those are good burgers jj.

HMc
05-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Isn't wearing BOTH the hat and the shirt at the same time a bit, uh, lame?

DaneMcCloud
05-22-2008, 07:29 PM
We just moved south to the Buena Park/ Anaheim area for a couple of weeks. We went to Hollywood last week. You are right, I wasn't too impressed.

You just need to know where to go and in what part of Hollywood. The bars and clubs stretch from Doheny to Vermont on Sunset, Hollywood, Santa Monica & Melrose boulevards.

I dig "East" Hollywood. There are several bars in this area that were shown in "Swingers" and the clientele is exactly the same as shown in that movie. Three Clubs on Vine & Santa Monica, Daddy's (which was just demo'd in favor of the new "W" Hotel), The Dresden (where Marty & Elaine perform almost nightly), The Frolic Room (on Vine & Hollywood), Boardner's (on Sunset & Cherokee) and The Well (on Sunset & Argyle).

Then there's the the whole strip between Laurel & Doheny. Laugh Factory, Hyde, Chateau Marmont (Belushi died there), The Standard Hotel & Pool area, Cabo Cantina, Miyagi's (dancers on the sushi tables after 11pm), Saddle Ranch (no cover), Sky Bar (at the Argyle) and a little further down, the Roxy, Whiskey, Viper Room (though it's not the same as it was in the 90's) and the legendary Rainbow (where 80's rock stars roam nightly).

There are "trendier" places like Geisha House, Joseph's, Basque and many more but those probably aren't your scene (and they're not mine, either. Not these days).

Have fun!

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Go to In 'N' Out. Those are good burgers jj.

Already have. Right you are. Great burgers.

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 07:35 PM
You just need to know where to go and in what part of Hollywood. The bars and clubs stretch from Doheny to Vermont on Sunset, Hollywood, Santa Monica & Melrose boulevards.

I dig "East" Hollywood. There are several bars in this area that were shown in "Swingers" and the clientele is exactly the same as shown in that movie. Three Clubs on Vine & Santa Monica, Daddy's (which was just demo'd in favor of the new "W" Hotel), The Dresden (where Marty & Elaine perform almost nightly), The Frolic Room (on Vine & Hollywood), Boardner's (on Sunset & Cherokee) and The Well (on Sunset & Argyle).

Then there's the the whole strip between Laurel & Doheny. Laugh Factory, Hyde, Chateau Marmont (Belushi died there), The Standard Hotel & Pool area, Cabo Cantina, Miyagi's (dancers on the sushi tables after 11pm), Saddle Ranch (no cover), Sky Bar (at the Argyle) and a little further down, the Roxy, Whiskey, Viper Room (though it's not the same as it was in the 90's) and the legendary Rainbow (where 80's rock stars roam nightly).

There are "trendier" places like Geisha House, Joseph's, Basque and many more but those probably aren't your scene (and they're not mine, either. Not these days).

Have fun!

Aaah. I'm not really into the bars/nightclubs. I am more into family type entertainment.

HMc
05-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Doesn't matter, Dane just wanted to appear knowledgeable on that topic. Havent you heard, he lives in hollywood!!!!

DaneMcCloud
05-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Aaah. I'm not really into the bars/nightclubs. I am more into family type entertainment.

Where you able to check out Universal Citywalk while you were up here? That's a family locale.

kcxiv
05-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Already have. Right you are. Great burgers.

now i want a double double. damn it.

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Pervert.

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Weird but kinda true. The Chief fan ratio is kinda high here. I think it's because you either we're a Raider fan or you hated them.

I think there's some kind of Joad family thing going on, too.

jjchieffan
05-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Where you able to check out Universal Citywalk while you were up here? That's a family locale.

That is one of the things on my list. We are going there, a couple of beaches, Knotts Berry Farm, and Universal Studios. I would also like to go to Sea World and the aquarium. I would go to Disney, but it is so expensive, I can buy 2 tickets to most anything on my list for the price of a Disney ticket.and Hannah is probably still a bit young for it.

Rain Man
05-22-2008, 09:19 PM
That is one of the things on my list. We are going there, a couple of beaches, Knotts Berry Farm, and Universal Studios. I would also like to go to Sea World and the aquarium. I would go to Disney, but it is so expensive, I can buy 2 tickets to most anything on my list for the price of a Disney ticket.and Hannah is probably still a bit young for it.

My wife and I really like Laguna Beach, which is a bit south of L.A. It's not a great place for kids, but it's a really attractive little place.

Is the Queen Mary still at Long Beach? I enjoyed visiting it, but it's been three or four years since I was there.

88TG88
05-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I think the street we went to for food was artesia. The BB was actually in a brand new shopping center right off the interstate. No food in there yet though, so we had to go hunt for it. We got very nervous.

I think your talking about the place on Avalon. Its actually in Carson and it is right off the freeway. Pretty boring town, but at least you got the freeway right behind you. You wouldn't happen to know what else they're building there ?

Abba-Dabba
05-22-2008, 11:59 PM

BS Don't fool yourself, the smart ones got out. ;)

Logical
05-23-2008, 12:18 AM
If you can go during the week rather than on a week-end your happiest place on earth experience will be much happier. Also, depending on the age of your kids, you should try California Adventure. It too is quite fun.
Just a few miles up the road in NW LA basin is Magic Mountain, one of the best of their theme parks in the country. Depending on the age of your kids you might want to try that one as well.

jjchieffan
05-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Just a few miles up the road in NW LA basin is Magic Mountain, one of the best of their theme parks in the country. Depending on the age of your kids you might want to try that one as well.

You mean Six Flags Magic Mountain I assume? yeah, I want to go to that one, but Hannah is only 3, and my wife has back problem
s, so the roller coasters would be out for them. A shame, because I LOVE roller coasters.

Mojo Rising
05-24-2008, 11:36 PM
My wife and I really like Laguna Beach, which is a bit south of L.A. It's not a great place for kids, but it's a really attractive little place.

Is the Queen Mary still at Long Beach? I enjoyed visiting it, but it's been three or four years since I was there.

Laguna is nice. We are staying here this weekend a few blocks from the beach at my pops new beach house. When we found out he bought it we booked Memorial Day, The 4th and Labor Day.

I surfed this afternoon. It was great being on the water.

jjchieffan
06-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Well, the wife has been back home for a couple of weeks now. We had fun while she was here. We went to Venice Beach and Hollywood and checked out the shops, the only amusement park we made it to was Knotts Berry Farm. We had a blast there. My daughter really loved it, although she gave me a scare when I took her up on the ferris wheel and while we were waiting to be let off, she got impatient and started trying to get out.

jjchieffan
06-15-2008, 09:24 AM
The last couple of weekends have been fun as well. The guys on the team and I went to Tijuana last weekend and then this weekend, the company sent us to San Jose, so we went on to Oakland, where I got a picture of me flipping off the Coliseum. We then went over to San Francisco. We did the harbor cruise/ aquarium combo. That was pretty awesome. Pics to follow.

jjchieffan
06-15-2008, 09:27 AM
stadium

teedubya
06-15-2008, 09:28 AM

you can almost taste the smog in those sunset pictures.

jjchieffan
06-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Golden Gate Bridge

kcxiv
06-15-2008, 11:22 AM
ahh, the Yay Area.

StcChief
06-15-2008, 12:42 PM
:) nice place to visit (well not really) but wouldn't wanna live there :)

jjchieffan
06-15-2008, 06:44 PM
I feel the same way. I enjoyed the visit, but no way would I want to live near there. Partly because of the cold, partly because of the gheys, but mainly because I am a country boy, and could not stand big city living for long.

kcxiv
06-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Hell, i wouldnt live in either L.A or S.F. The only place i would move to would be San Diego. That city is bad ass. I live in the Central Valley and its not a big city about 80k people. May be big to some, but is a grain of salt here in Cali. lol

ClevelandBronco
06-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry, twit. Your name doesn't come up here last. Not on my watch.

ClevelandBronco
06-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Sorry, twit. Your name doesn't come up here last. Not on my watch.

(Mods: Feel free to clear my responses when you take out the trash.)

stlchiefs
06-15-2008, 10:16 PM
jjchieffan

You didn't represent shit. Try going to South Central sporting a Chiefs shirt, and the over-under on your death would be 57 minutes.

Coming to you straight from the ghetto of suburban Denver.

jjchieffan
06-16-2008, 08:54 PM
We have been to a lot of different beaches. Venice Beach, Malibu, Long Beach, San Clemente, and Huntington. Huntington may have been the best beach. We went there today. The waves were big, so there were several surfers. And the babes....OMG! Hotties everywhere.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 09:10 PM
And the babes....OMG! Hotties everywhere.

In Orange County? :evil: