PDA

View Full Version : Recent Improvements

DaFace
05-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Search is now back on for all users. It is NOT FIXED, so try not to use the keyword search much. It works fine for searching for threads/posts by user and that type of thing. The "New Posts" link should work fine as well.
If you go to the Forum Home area (the one that no one hardly looks at in the far upper-left), there's a new stats section at the bottom that shows the top users by posts, thread starts, etc. for the past week. Nothing special, but it's kind of fun. I may or may not leave that there permanently.
You can ignore forums now. If you hate D.C., go to your UserCP under Options toward the bottom. You can eliminate forums you don't want to see. You can always access them from the pulldown in the navbar, though.
You've probably already noticed the chat room. That won't be all that useful now, but a lot of people liked that better than refreshing the Lounge during games last year. The number in parenthesis tells you how many people are in there at any given time.
Images that are really big are now automatically resized to fit smaller windows (see any of the threads in the pics forum to see what I mean). You can turn this feature on and off, or adjust the "maximum" sizes in your userCP under Options. The defaults are the resize anything over 800x600.
You can now disable reputation in your UserCP if you don't want yours to show.

Just FYI.

Skip Towne
05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks. You sure are a busy little guy.

DaFace
05-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks. You sure are a busy little guy.

Eh, most of these have been there for a while. I just haven't told anyone about them.

Basileus777
05-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Nice work.

So is using search still going to cause lag?

DaFace
05-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Nice work.

So is using search still going to cause lag?

[technical explanation]
I actually broke the search further by accidentally turning off the mySQL search and turning on the vBulletin search. The result is that searches aren't even all that accurate since the vBulletin index is incomplete. However, because the index is incomplete, searches don't take near as long and, therefore, don't lock the server up for near as long (if at all).
[/technical explanation]

Essentially, compared to the way it used to be, searches take less time but are not as accurate. Non-keyword searches (posts by user, etc.) work fine. I've got a monitoring service watching page load times, so if it becomes an issue I'll shut it back off, but I think it'll be fine. I just decided to turn it back on since it looks like it may be a while before Kyle gets to it.

teedubya
05-25-2008, 07:13 PM
what about the new bar at the bottom of the screen? I think that would be most useful, if NEW THREAD was on it... but its not.

Cool though.

DaFace
05-25-2008, 07:15 PM
what about the new bar at the bottom of the screen? I think that would be most useful, if NEW THREAD was on it... but its not.

Cool though.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. "New bar at the bottom of the screen?"

teedubya
05-25-2008, 07:18 PM
ah, it must be some firefox extension that I am using. Ill have to make a screen cap.

Bowser
05-25-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about. "New bar at the bottom of the screen?"

Just nod your head and bury him another 100K in rep points.

beach tribe
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Cool though.

Dude, is that you, and are you wearing 4 polos, and a T, for grand total of 5 ****ing shirts?

DaFace
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
ah, it must be some firefox extension that I am using. Ill have to make a screen cap.

I know that ffvb has a few features using a sidebar of sorts. I didn't care for it myself, so I turned it off. There's a checkbox in the options somewhere to get rid of it.

DaFace
05-25-2008, 09:29 PM
You can now disable reputation if you don't want yours to show, with the exception of people who are still n00bs. I figure we want to know if a n00b is a douche based on their rep.

I hadn't even noticed that was changed until Dimension2112 pointed it out.

aturnis
05-25-2008, 11:27 PM
DaFace....since you've been doing all of these improvements, I've been wondering. Is there anyway that all the forums could be viewed as one large forum in someone wanted, and you could sort threads by topic. Around draft time, it kind of annoyed me when I'd try to find good football conversation, and I was made to bounce back and forth between forums. I know the reason they were all split up is b/c some people don't like to mix their football with politics and religion and such. To me though, I'd like a general discussion forum that has all the most active threads at any point in time, but I could sort them by topic(beings it is now required to label threads) in order to filter out the b.s. and get straight to what I want.

If this is hard to understand, I'm sorry. Don't have time to clarify right now. Thanks.

DaFace
05-25-2008, 11:41 PM
DaFace....since you've been doing all of these improvements, I've been wondering. Is there anyway that all the forums could be viewed as one large forum in someone wanted, and you could sort threads by topic. Around draft time, it kind of annoyed me when I'd try to find good football conversation, and I was made to bounce back and forth between forums. I know the reason they were all split up is b/c some people don't like to mix their football with politics and religion and such. To me though, I'd like a general discussion forum that has all the most active threads at any point in time, but I could sort them by topic(beings it is now required to label threads) in order to filter out the b.s. and get straight to what I want.

If this is hard to understand, I'm sorry. Don't have time to clarify right now. Thanks.

Kind of. You can use the "new posts" link at the top to show new posts from ALL forums together. The only ones that won't show in there are forums you have excluded in your CP. There's no easy way to sort those, to my knowledge though.

You might also be able to make it work with a search like this:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/search.php?do=process&prefixchoice[]=Chiefs&prefixchoice[]=Football&prefixchoice[]=NFLDraft]

That will return all threads that match the "football" types of prefixes. We could turn on prefixes in DraftPlanet, then that search would find those threads as well as those in the Lounge.

At this point, those are the two options I think. :shrug:

Pablo
05-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Dude, is that you, and are you wearing 4 polos, and a T, for grand total of 5 ****ing shirts?I saw this picture on collegehumor like a year ago, it's pretty f*cking great. I'm sure the guy in the pic is mocking collar-popping douches, and it's a just cause.

I've witnessed someone wearing a popped collar polo over another popped collar polo. It was douchebaggery in it's truest form.

Bugeater
05-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Huh, if you disable your rep all the comments disappear as well.

DaFace
05-26-2008, 08:12 AM

Heh...I like that it's an ugly black dot. It's like a lump of coal in your stocking for refusing to play in the game of rep.

Or something like that.

Bowser
05-26-2008, 08:22 AM

Too bad, becasue I just left you a doozy. :D

Bugeater
05-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Too bad, becasue I just left you a doozy. :D

Bring it on mother****er! I AM INVINCIBLE!

Bowser
05-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Bring it on mother****er! I AM INVINCIBLE!

Rockin' the Pat Benatar this morning, I see. NTTIAWWT, now.....

Bugeater
05-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Rockin' the Pat Benatar this morning, I see. NTTIAWWT, now.....
I thought she was kinda hot back in the day.

Bowser
05-26-2008, 08:40 AM
I thought she was kinda hot back in the day.

Yeah, I'll go with that. I've heard her daughter is pretty smokin' these days. BONUS!

stumppy
05-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I'll go with that. I've heard her daughter is pretty smokin' these days. BONUS!

I'll take 'Signs you're getting old' for $100 Alex.

RealSNR
05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Eh, most of these have been there for a while. I just haven't told anyone about them.Asshole.

KCFalcon59
05-26-2008, 01:33 PM
You can ignore forums now. If you hate D.C., go to your UserCP under Options toward the bottom. You can eliminate forums you don't want to see. You can always access them from the pulldown in the navbar, though.

This is nice. Now you just have to find a way to add forums we want to see and I can put draftplanet back where DC used to be. :p

Hammock Parties
05-26-2008, 01:43 PM
I like the stats page. Be nice if we could sort it by 1 month, 2 month, 3 months etc...

DaFace
05-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I like the stats page. Be nice if we could sort it by 1 month, 2 month, 3 months etc...

Yeah, I wish there was a user-side option for that. I can set it in the options to any daily-increment I want (i.e. 7 days, 30 days, 365 days, etc.), but there's no way on the user side to adjust it, unfortunately. You can at least expand the list using the options in the upper-left of the field to show more than just the top 5 though.

DaFace
05-27-2008, 08:42 AM
I'll give this one bump for the weekday crew.

StcChief
05-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Good job. getting at the Partial search going....will likly stop the b1tichin for awhile :)

Sounds like a 'real index rebuild' downtime will be needed before regular season?

End of June before TC get's rolling might be good.

DaFace
05-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Good job. getting at the Partial search going....will likly stop the b1tichin for awhile :)

Sounds like a 'real index rebuild' downtime will be needed before regular season?

End of June before TC get's rolling might be good.

Kyle has assured me that he will get to the index rebuild and software update (to 3.7 stable) before training camp. I hope he'll be able to stick to that.