PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Hey knowledgable baseball fans.....

luv
05-27-2008, 12:28 PM
There's a stadium whose last year to be played in is this year before the team moves to a new stadium. Is it the Red Sox' stadium?

Amnorix
05-27-2008, 12:29 PM
YankMes

petegz28
05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
That would be the Minnesota Twins or am I off a year?

Demonpenz
Yankees and mets are getting new ball parks

luv
Thanks.

stlchiefs
05-27-2008, 12:32 PM
If you have the opportunity, make a trip to Yankee Stadium, it'll be worth your time. Cool experience.

luv
05-27-2008, 12:33 PM
One more question....

If you could visit one historic ballpark, which one would it be?

luv
05-27-2008, 12:33 PM
If you have the opportunity, make a trip to Yankee Stadium, it'll be worth your time. Cool experience.

I'm thinking about it in September. Don't know if I'd be able to afford the tickets too, though. Do they do stadium tours?

Amnorix
05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
One more question....

I'm partial to Fenway, of course, but there are several that would be worth your while. Wrigley, etc.

Yankee Stadium would be worth it, as it's coming down obviously...

stlchiefs
05-27-2008, 12:38 PM
One more question....

Yankee Stadium as it will be gone after this year, removing your opportunity to visit.

There are tours, but it doesn't sound like there's anyway to guarantee a ticket until the day of. http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/stadium_tours.jsp

Tours are $20 it looks like you can get bleacher seats for $14 so it depends on your interest: seeing a game our touring the stadium.

tyton75
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Yankees stadium, Wrigley and Fenway would be the preeminant MUST visits that i can think of

smittysbar
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm partial to Fenway, of course, but there are several that would be worth your while. Wrigley, etc.

Yankee Stadium would be worth it, as it's coming down obviously...

All of the above

luv
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Yankees stadium, Wrigley and Fenway would be the preeminant MUST visits that i can think of

Looked it up, and it's $25 to tour Wrigley. At least I can order tickets in advance though.

Fenway is $12, but they also only sell tickets day of. They start on an hourly basis though.

StcChief
05-27-2008, 02:20 PM
One more question....

I've been to Wrigley several years ago.

Fenway would be my next choice....despite the RedSuxs.

NYC meh.

05-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Yankee Stadium is fun. almost every game is sold out or close to it. so if you take the subway, get there early and leave late. I think the tour is $10 and you can get upper level tier seats (nose bleeds) for $20. don't buy bleacher tickets, the left field bleachers doesn't sell booze, and the right field bleacher people are farking nuts. :)

Oh, and check out Stan's. A Yankee stadium staple.

http://www.stanssportsbar.com/

Frazod
05-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Yankees Stadium is a pit. Outside of the white-washed parts you see on TV, it is dank, filthy and devoid of any character. Long overdue for the wrecking ball, IMO. Nothing like Wrigley, which is what I was expecting when I went there.

And I hate the Cubs more than I hate the Yankees, so this isn't homerism talking.

SBK
05-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Wrigley and Fenway are 2 I really want to see. The best I've been to personally is The Ted here in Atlanta.

chasedude
05-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Just curious if these other stadiums are setting up "Pool, Hot tub" areas like Arizona did?

seclark
05-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Wrigley and Fenway are 2 I really want to see. The best I've been to personally is The Ted here in Atlanta.

i've driven past it a few times and always wanted to catch a game there.
sec

L.A. Chieffan
05-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Dodger Stadium is teh best

luv
05-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Boyfriend grew up in Lompoc and rooting for the Angels. I'm thinking about just flying out there for a fewdays to catch a game. Not sure just how much I can afford right now.

milkman
05-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Boyfriend grew up in Lompoc and rooting for the Angels. I'm thinking about just flying out there for a fewdays to catch a game. Not sure just how much I can afford right now.

Lompoc?

Bet he's happy to be out of that craphole.

Coach
05-27-2008, 08:17 PM
One more question....

Forbes Field. Alot of good players played on that field....

Coach
05-27-2008, 08:21 PM

http://www.o--rly.com/owl_orly.png

luv
05-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Lompoc?

Bet he's happy to be out of that craphole.

He said he's not sure what it would be like now, but he said it was a decent place to grow up in the late 70's and 80's. He hasn't been there for 16 years.

luv
05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Found a good deal on airline tickets from KC to Chicago. Looks like it will be cheaper to just tour the park than to go see a game though.

Coach
05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Found a good deal on airline tickets from KC to Chicago. Looks like it will be cheaper to just tour the park than to go see a game though.

While going to a tour isn't a bad idea, it does not remotely compare the actual feeling of the ballpark with a big crowd...

luv
05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
While going to a tour isn't a bad idea, it does not remotely compare the actual feeling of the ballpark with a big crowd...

Yeah, I can imagine. It's $50 for both of us to tour or $78 for both of us to have decent upper level seats, though.

DaFace
05-27-2008, 09:22 PM

I'll be going to a Yankees vs. Red Sox game in August. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I'm excited to be able to say that I went to a rivalry game in the stadium at the end of its last year.

Coach
05-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I can imagine. It's $50 for both of us to tour or $78 for both of us to have decent upper level seats, though.

Compare the length of the tour to the length of the game. I think the length of the game can be longer than the tour, plus the potentional bonus of free baseball.

chief52
05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Wrigley, Fenway and Yankee Stadium would be at the top. But Dodger Stadium is right behind them. It really is a awesome park.

Been to Wrigley and think it will probably be my all time favorite. Hope to see Fenway...never going to make it to Yankee Stadium. Seen lots of games at Dodgers Stadium. Headed there on June 6 and 7 to see the Dodgers and Cubbies. Great place.

Ultra Peanut
05-28-2008, 04:59 AM
Forbes Field. Alot of good players played on that field....If we're talking THAT kind of historical stadium, I'm going with the Polo Grounds.

Demonpenz
05-28-2008, 05:30 AM
This version of the ballpark had its share of quirks. The "unofficial" distances (never marked on the wall) down the left and right field lines were 279 and 258 feet respectively, but there was a 21 foot overhang in left field, which often intercepted fly balls which would otherwise have been catchable and turned them into home runs. Contrasting with the short distances down the lines were the 450-some foot distances in the gaps, with straightaway center field 483 feet distant from home plate; the corners of the bleachers on either side of the clubhouse runway were about 425 feet. the catch that Willie Mays made in the 1954 World Series against Vic Wertz of the Cleveland Indians would have been a home run in many other ballparks of the time. The bullpens were actually in play, in the left and right center field gaps. The outfield sloped downward from the infield, and people in the dugouts often could only see the top half of the outfielders.

05-28-2008, 06:50 AM

Fenway is awful, you either get a seat with an obstructed view, AWESOME! or you get trapped inside for 3 hours while taking a leak. the inside corridors are like 10 feet wide. so you can't move in there, if you want a beer or bathroom break you are fugged. it's a shit hole. I had more fun drinking in the surrounding bars than watching a game in that dump.

05-28-2008, 06:52 AM
Yankees Stadium is a pit. Outside of the white-washed parts you see on TV, it is dank, filthy and devoid of any character. Long overdue for the wrecking ball, IMO. Nothing like Wrigley, which is what I was expecting when I went there.

And I hate the Cubs more than I hate the Yankees, so this isn't homerism talking.

You're just a bitter Cardinals fan. :Poke:nlm