PDA

View Full Version : Misc How much is a barring?

Chiefs Pantalones
05-29-2008, 06:15 PM
My car is making a long screetching sound when it's running. It doesn't do it when I first turn it on after it's been sitting awhile, it sounds normal then, it does it after I drive it for about 10 minutes. Then, when I get to somewhere, turn it off to go inside, then come back out it does it from the start. I think it's a barring. I know it's not the timing belt. At least I hope not. How much is a barring? I'm dumb with cars...

Buehler445
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
bearing? I think you mean bearing.

It depends on where it is. If it is just on a pulley, it will be cheap. If it is a rod bearing or something inside the motor, sell the car.

bogey
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
The fact that you know what barring is, makes me realize you're not dumb with cars. However, since I don't know what barring is, makes me realize that I'm dumb with cars.

stumppy
05-29-2008, 06:21 PM
You could be hearing the serpentine belt tensioner, the water pump, the power steering pump, the alternater, tha a/c clutch-pulley. Gonna have to take it somewhere and have them ck it out for ya if you don't know how to yourself.

Gonzo
05-29-2008, 06:24 PM
I know the bar exam can cost an ass load of money. Is there something wrong w/ ur car?

Chiefs Pantalones
05-29-2008, 06:25 PM
bearing? I think you mean bearing.

It depends on where it is. If it is just on a pulley, it will be cheap. If it is a rod bearing or something inside the motor, sell the car.

What place would look at that, like which car shop?

omg I hope it's not in the motor. It drives fine. Would it still drive fine if it were in the motor?

blueballs
05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Watch the steering
the temp gauge
try air conditioner

Chiefs Pantalones
05-29-2008, 06:40 PM
LOL every summer something goes wrong with my car. The only convenience is it's in the summer when I'm not in school, but I have to work...ok so maybe in no way is it a convenience ugh. ****

Mr. Flopnuts
05-29-2008, 06:42 PM
It's probably a belt, and it's probably cracked. I'm a car retard though, so don't take my word for it.

KCChiefsMan
05-29-2008, 06:46 PM
the check engine light appeared yesterday on my car. No sign of anything wrong that I can notice. hmmm

crispystl
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
the check engine light appeared yesterday on my car. No sign of anything wrong that I can notice. hmmm

Is your gas cap screwed on tight?
I left mine on my trunk lol and drove off shortly after my check engine light came on and i realized immediately what I had done.
I also have heard just a loose cap can make your check engine light come on though.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM

Go to Auto Zone they do free diagnostics.

Bugeater
05-29-2008, 07:15 PM
It's probably a belt, and it's probably cracked. I'm a car retard though, so don't take my word for it.

That was my first thought, the serpentine belt on my van squeaks like crazy at times, and is quiet at others. One day it was squeaking so bad I decided to spray some WD-40 on it to try to shut it up, and as soon as I hit it with the spray the belt jumped completely off, so I know that's NOT the way to fix it.

Donger
05-29-2008, 07:18 PM
My car is making a long screetching sound when it's running. It doesn't do it when I first turn it on after it's been sitting awhile, it sounds normal then, it does it after I drive it for about 10 minutes. Then, when I get to somewhere, turn it off to go inside, then come back out it does it from the start. I think it's a barring. I know it's not the timing belt. At least I hope not. How much is a barring? I'm dumb with cars...

Barring any other issues, go and buy some belt dressing.

Donger
05-29-2008, 07:19 PM
spray some WD-40 on it to try to shut it up

Good lord.

kstater
05-29-2008, 07:20 PM

short of the gas cap being off, it's an emissions issue. Change grades of gas recently?

Bugeater
05-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Good lord.
Says the guy who thinks the alternator powers the air conditioner in a car.

Donger
05-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Says the guy who thinks the alternator powers the air conditioner in a car.

No. The battery powers it. The alternator charges the battery. The engine provides the power required to spin the alternator.

That's why fuel efficiency is reduced when you run your A/C.

Bugeater
05-29-2008, 08:05 PM
No. The battery powers it. The alternator charges the battery. The engine provides the power required to spin the alternator.

LMAO

Donger
05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
LMAO

Seriously though. Get some belt dressing. My old Spitfire used to scream no matter how tightly I made her belts. Belt dressing works.

Zebedee DuBois
05-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Is this the car you called Dixie?

Is your Dixie wrecked?

smittysbar
05-29-2008, 09:02 PM

LMAO

this is what the motor spins to get the ac rollin (AC Compressor) But at least you sounded like you knew what the hell you where talking about. If it is any consolation you were right about the belt dressing, it works wonders.

http://www.global-b2b-network.com/direct/dbimage/50184732/Car_A_C_Compressor.jpg

Skip Towne
05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Seriously though. Get some belt dressing. My old Spitfire used to scream no matter how tightly I made her belts. Belt dressing works.

Touching a bar of soap to the belt while it is running will do the same thing.