PDA

View Full Version : Football Broncos cut Travis Henry

Hammock Parties
06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
lmao...another failed Shanny pickup.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8039

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos announced on Monday that running back Travis Henry has been released from the team.

"Although Travis has the ability to be one of the top running backs in the NFL, we have to make decisions that are in the best interests of our organization and its goal of winning a Super Bowl," said Head Coach Mike Shanahan. "We did not feel his commitment to the Broncos was enough to warrant a spot on this football team."

Henry signed with the Broncos as a free agent on March 5, 2007, and played one season with the club. In 2007, he rushed for 691 yards on 167 carries (4.1 avg.) with four touchdowns in 12 games, including seven starts.

Henry, in his eighth year in the league, spent two seasons (2005-06) with Tennessee after beginning his career with Buffalo in 2001.

The Florida native has rushed for 6,086 yards on 1,488 attempts -- good for a 4.1 average -- with 38 touchdowns in his career. Over that span he also has 141 receptions for 951 yards and two touchdowns.

morphius
06-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Have to wonder if he got caught with another failed drug test. I don't believe the genious has much chance of staying in the league much longer.

Rain Man
06-02-2008, 11:07 AM
No doubt. He must've got caught again and they're making a p.r. move. Or they know he's bound to get caught.

This is good news for us. I really didn't like seeing the Broncos get him.

Phobia
06-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Complete waste of skin. Now he has a dozen kids out there telling all their friends, "my daddy is Travis Henry". But the friends are like - oh, you and everybody else.

Warrior5
06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Complete waste of skin. Now he has a dozen kids out there telling all their friends, "my daddy is Travis Henry". But the friends are like - oh, you and everybody else.

ROFL

Molitoth
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm fine with stimulating your senses, but to choose any illegal substance over your reputation/career/kids is rediculas.

R&GHomer
06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
What an asshat. I'll never understand why a guy that makes all that money can't hold off doing the drugs until he's out of the league.

Hydrae
06-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Back in the day I wondered why on earth Buffalo spent a draft pick on a gimpy McGahee when they had a very good back in Henry. I am wondering now if they knew he was troubled and covered their bases very well.

RodInCanton
06-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Haven't you guys heard, Selvin Young is running for 2000+ this season. Once Shanahan found that out he just didn't need Henry!!! :D

Phobia
06-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Haven't you guys heard, Selvin Young is running for 2000+ this season. Once Shanahan found that out he just didn't need Henry!!! :D

I did hear all about that. He's nearly as crazy as his father who once asked me to remodel the family bathroom in exchange for Longhorn tickets.

Buehler445
06-02-2008, 12:12 PM
ROFL. This makes me feel chuckle.

58-4ever
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I did hear all about that. He's nearly as crazy as his father who once asked me to remodel the family bathroom in exchange for Longhorn tickets.

That's funny. Because coincidentally enough, Selvin Young's mom asked me if I would make sweet love to her for Longhorn tickets.

Chiefshrink
06-02-2008, 01:01 PM
When they signed Pittman is when they caught him with a another "fattie". I thought it was odd they signed Pittman but now we now why!!!!!

88TG88
06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Stay down bitch

the Talking Can
06-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Shanahananahan knows RBs.

That's why he signs a new one every year.

Sully
06-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Somewhere there is a tribe of young Henries crying.

Deberg_1990
06-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Where is the obigatory "Sign em Carl" post?

Pasta Little Brioni
06-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Don't worry it'll come soon. There will be a bring in henry if he'll sign cheap thread in the future.

Mile High Mania
06-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Can't say that I'm surprised... what a waste of talent with that guy. Who knows if he's on the verge of another suspension or not. I like Young and with the platoon of options they have, they should be ok. It would be great to have that 1500 yd option... who knows, maybe one of those guys will be it, but the RBBC is apparently the way to go right now.

Maybe after all these years... they're finally giving up on the head cases. I dunno.

Valiant
06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Someone needs to bring up the Henry signings thread and about how he was going to run all over the conference and be a weapon...

little jacob
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM
teams are going to figure out that running backs arent worth that much money especially if they are high risk

blueballs
06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
CHargers rebuilt - Raiders and Chiefs are working on it
Shanahan will keep that team in the 1st round bounce
every 2-3 years

vailpass
06-02-2008, 05:44 PM
You can't make the club if you stay in the tub.

chiefs1111
06-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Well im sure some team will be dumb enough to pick him up..............

chefsos
06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Heh...

Rat Nervy His
Ran Very Shit
Van Hers I Try

smittysbar
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Don't hide it, Light it!

What a ****stick

Hammock Parties
06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
lmao

HENRY, SHANAHAN ALTERCATION PRECEDED RELEASE?

Posted by Mike Florio on June 3, 2008, 7:09 a.m. EDT
Rumors are swirling that the seemingly abrupt decision of the Broncos to cut running back Travis Henry was ultimately prompted by an altercation of some kind involving Henry and coach Mike Shanahan.

Though we’re not hearing that Henry pulled a Latrell Sprewell on the Broncos’ head coach, or that the incident in any way turned physical, several sources have told us that there was some type of unpleasant exchange between the two at some point within the past few weeks.

Presumably, the Broncos waited to cut Henry until after they got Michael Pittman under contract. If Henry had been cut before Pittman was signed, Pittman’s leverage would have increased.

And so the end result is that Shanahan has wasted another $6.7 million of owner Pat Bowlen’s money. Despite the apparent fact that the decision didn’t arise from Henry’s football skills, the reality that the Broncos were forced to part ways with Henry due to his attitude and/or off-field conduct further proves that Shanahan simply isn’t a good judge of character when it comes to football players.

But he’s definitely a good coach, because as a coach he continues to generally achieve at a relatively high level despite having one hand tied behind his back via his generally poor decisions in free agency and the draft.

Valiant
06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
This is why you do not restructure you contract to lower terms and money to make the team happy.. You increase you ability to be cut..

Mr. Arrowhead
06-03-2008, 10:22 AM
the broncos remind me of the mid 90 chiefs. So much hype but nothing to show for it.

Brock
06-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Shanahan should be an offensive coordinator.

Reerun_KC
06-03-2008, 10:24 AM

dont worry, Some asscap will post it soon... You know the "lets bring him in for a look" BS that we see here all the time...

the broncos remind me of the mid 90 chiefs. So much hype but nothing to show for it.

Man, much truth to this! :clap:

little jacob
06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
only enough room for shanahan's ego in that town

blueballs
06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Raiders | Jordan release imminent?
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:45:49 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the release of RB Travis Henry by the Denver Broncos could delay the eventual release of Oakland Raiders RB LaMont Jordan. Although Jordan is expected to be released by the Raiders, managing general partner Al Davis doesn't want Jordan to land with the Broncos.

Rain Man
06-03-2008, 03:03 PM
You can't make the club if you stay in the tub.

You can't make the team if that smokin' ain't steam.

You can't make the roster if your kids are all foster.

Simply Red
06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Surprise.

noa
06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
The ESPN article said something about him not showing up to OTAs. I guess he was injured, but injured players are still supposed to show up.

Hydrae
06-03-2008, 07:41 PM
The ESPN article said something about him not showing up to OTAs. I guess he was injured, but injured players are still supposed to show up.

Actually I do not think the OTAs can be mandatory per the labor agreement. :shrug:

vailpass
06-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Actually I do not think the OTAs can be mandatory per the labor agreement. :shrug:

Quotes from players:

"The word 'voluntary' in the NFL means 'mandatory' so whether it's offseason conditioning, whether it's OTAs, quarterback camps, you need to be here," Ekuban said. "I think (Shanahan) was sending a message, like 'Hey, we need everyone on the same page.' No matter what your circumstances are, if you're hurt, get some treatment and get better. If you're not hurt, be on the field practicing. Everybody else is here."

"That's on him," Broncos running back Andre Hall said. "He brought it on himself. I know he's supposed to be out here. Lots of guys are out here hurt."

"You have to take it like a business and you've got to show up," Torain said.

"You've got to be accountable," Alridge said. "Be here. Do what the coaches ask."

"It doesn't matter who you are," Lynch said. "That's pretty clear around here."

When Henry strained his hamstring in early May and couldn't participate in the team's first offseason minicamp, Shanahan decided it was time to move on.

"I think our players expected it. I don't think it really surprised anybody,"

Shanahan said. "They know the type of standard we demand and if you don't step up to that standard, you're not going to be with us."
Say what you will about Shanny but I respect a coach for cutting a player for being lazy and uncommitted no matter how much $ they make. Once you have a player like that on your team a coach sends a message whether he keeps him or cuts him. I like the message that comes with the cut.