PDA

View Full Version : Football All-Time NFL Team

CoMoChief
06-03-2008, 11:16 PM
This probably has been done before, but I don't give a shit and if you give a shit then dont post.:D

QB -
RB -
WR - Jerry Rice
WR -
WR -
TE -
OT -
OT -
OG -
OG -
C -

DE -
DE -
DT -
DT -
LB -
LB -
LB -
CB -
CB -
S -
S -

KR -
P - Ray Guy
K -

This is about broader positions, not whether they played inside, outside, left, right, strong, weak, 3-4, 4-3, free/strong safety. etc. I'll start, then the next person quote and put their choice in......With the obvious first choice......

Ugly Duck
06-03-2008, 11:37 PM
punter: Ray Guy

Ugly Duck
06-03-2008, 11:39 PM
QB - HorseFace
RB -
WR - Jerry Rice
WR -
WR -
TE -
OT -
OT -
OG -
OG -
C -

DE -
DE -
DT -
DT -
LB -
LB -
LB -
CB -
CB -
S -
S -

BWillie
06-03-2008, 11:42 PM
QB - Damon Huard
RB -
WR - Jerry Rice
WR - Snoop Minnis
WR -
TE -
OT -
OT -
OG -
OG -
C -

DE -
DE -
DT -
DT -
LB -
LB -
LB -
CB -
CB -
S -
S -

KR -
P - Ray Guy
K -

Pablo
06-03-2008, 11:47 PM
WTF? 3 posts and no Bobby f*cking Sippio yet?

Who the f*ck is Jerry Rice anyhow? The only rice I give a shit about is Rice-a-Roni, that's some tasty stuff right there. I'll make this easy for everyone, Bobby Sippio is the correct answer for all of the positions.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-03-2008, 11:49 PM
RB - Barry Sanders

CoMoChief
06-03-2008, 11:54 PM
This probably has been done before, but I don't give a shit and if you give a shit then dont post.:D

QB - John Elway
RB - Barry Sanders
WR - Jerry Rice
WR -
WR -
TE -
OT -
OT -
OG -
OG -
C -

DE -
DE -
DT -
DT -
LB -
LB -
LB -
CB -
CB -
S -
S -

KR -
P - Ray Guy
K -

This is about broader positions, not whether they played inside, outside, left, right, strong, weak, 3-4, 4-3, free/strong safety. etc. I'll start, then the next person quote and put their choice in......With the obvious first choice.......

Chiefs=Champions
06-04-2008, 12:03 AM
TE Gonzalez...?

Chiefs=Champions
06-04-2008, 12:03 AM
DT Sapp?

88TG88
06-04-2008, 12:06 AM
TE Gonzalez...?

yes

and teh scanlon at LB

Chiefs=Champions
06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
And other DT Ryan (QB eater) sims

cdcox
06-04-2008, 12:18 AM
DT Sapp?

I'd go Bob Lilly and Mean Joe Greene. Sapp wouldn't be in my top 5.

kcxiv
06-04-2008, 12:22 AM
I liked John Randal, He was a mean son of a bitch. Not to mention he was pretty freaking good.

stumppy
06-04-2008, 12:24 AM
DE- Reggie White ?

cdcox
06-04-2008, 12:26 AM
DE- Reggie White ?

Sure, as long as we put Deacon Jones at the other DE.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Ryan Leaf QB

stumppy
06-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Sure, as long as we put Deacon Jones at the other DE.

Works for me.

ClevelandBronco
06-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Jim Brown.

Jack Lambert.

Tribal Warfare
06-04-2008, 12:55 AM
QB - Montana
RB - Jim Brown
WR - Jerry Rice
WR -Don Hutson
WR -Randy Moss
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OT - Tony Munoz
OT - Art Shell/ Willie Roaf
OG - Larry Allen
OG - Will Shields
C - Mike Webster

DE - Reggie White
DE - Deacon Jones
DT - Reggie White/ Warren Sapp
DT - Randy White
LB - Bobby Bell
LB - Ray Nitschke
LB - Lawrence Taylor
CB - Dick "Nighttrain" Lane
CB - Rod Woodson
S - Ronny Lott
S - Steve Atwater

KR/PR - Gayle Sayers
P - Ray Guy

ClevelandBronco
06-04-2008, 01:12 AM
QB - Montana
RB - Jim Brown
WR - Jerry Rice
WR -Don Hutson
WR -Randy Moss
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OT - Tony Munoz
OG - Larry Allen
OG - Will Shields
C - Mike Webster

DE - Reggie White
DE - Deacon Jones
DT - Randy White
LB - Bobby Bell
LB - Ray Nitschke
LB - Lawrence Taylor
CB - Rod Woodson
S - Ronny Lott
S - Steve Atwater

KR/PR - Gayle Sayers
P - Ray Guy

Nitschke/Butkus/Lambert. Tough call. Depends on what you're looking for.

You sure got the safeties right. That's a pack of pain.

Good call on Hutson, but I'd be tempted to consider Raymond Berry.

Rausch
06-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Nitschke/Butkus/Lambert. Tough call. Depends on what you're looking for.

You sure got the safeties right. That's a pack of pain.

Good call on Hutson, but I'd be tempted to consider Raymond Berry.

I'd still throw in John Mackey at TE.

A forgotten stud...

Tribal Warfare
06-04-2008, 02:45 AM
I'd still throw in John Mackey at TE.

A forgotten stud...

I was thinking about adding him too, nut homerism got the better of me, and concerning the DT position I totally forgot adding Mean Joe. Also IMO opinion Reggie is both a DE and DT the man could play every position on the defensive line like a HOFer

Buehler445
06-04-2008, 06:16 AM

He was one crazy sombitch

milkman
06-04-2008, 06:26 AM
I'd go Bob Lilly and Mean Joe Greene. Sapp wouldn't be in my top 5.

Perhaps this is the homer in me, but I'd have to go with Bick Buchanon ahead of Bob Lilly.

He redefined the position, and became the model that teams searched for.

Amnorix
06-04-2008, 06:50 AM
CBs are definitely wrong. Nighttrain Lane was great, but he wouldn't be able to do 90% of what he used to do then these days.

I'll go with Mike Haynes and Darrell Green.

Will Shields over John Hannah is homerism at its finest. :D

Jim Brown over Barry Sanders or anybody else.

Buehler445
06-04-2008, 06:56 AM
CBs are definitely wrong. Nighttrain Lane was great, but he wouldn't be able to do 90% of what he used to do then these days.

I'll go with Mike Haynes and Darrell Green.

Will Shields over John Hannah is homerism at its finest. :D

Change what Lane can't do to 99% and you're good. Give us Will Shields. This is a Chiefs board afterall. And the guy was a badass.

Saulbadguy
06-04-2008, 07:02 AM
I might have to go with Tom Brady at QB.

Amnorix
06-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Change what Lane can't do to 99% and you're good. Give us Will Shields. This is a Chiefs board afterall. And the guy was a badass.

I'll give you Shields, but then I'll take Hannah at the other OG spot over Larry Allen. I do honestly think (:homer:) that Hannah was the best OG ever.

Amnorix
06-04-2008, 07:13 AM

err....you're joking right? Reggie White or Warren Sapp. That's something that you're not quite sure about...?

Buehler445
06-04-2008, 07:15 AM
I'll give you Shields, but then I'll take Hannah at the other OG spot over Larry Allen. I do honestly think (:homer:) that Hannah was the best OG ever.

We'll compromise with that:)

Molitoth
06-04-2008, 08:01 AM

:rolleyes:

Brock
06-04-2008, 08:32 AM
QB - Montana
RB - Jim Brown
WR - Jerry Rice
WR -Don Hutson
WR -Randy Moss
TE - Tony Gonzalez
OT - Tony Munoz
OG - Larry Allen
OG - Will Shields
C - Mike Webster

DE - Reggie White
DE - Deacon Jones
DT - Randy White
LB - Bobby Bell
LB - Ray Nitschke
LB - Lawrence Taylor
CB - Rod Woodson
S - Ronny Lott
S - Steve Atwater

KR/PR - Gayle Sayers
P - Ray Guy

Okay, except I don't think Reggie White was a DT.

milkman
06-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Okay, except I don't think Reggie White was a DT.

His reasoning.

I was thinking about adding him too, nut homerism got the better of me, and concerning the DT position I totally forgot adding Mean Joe. Also IMO opinion Reggie is both a DE and DT the man could play every position on the defensive line like a HOFer

Never mind the fact that he never played DT, and it's even more speculative and arbitrary than simply giving an opinion on who is the best ever among than those that actually played the position.

Amnorix
06-04-2008, 08:46 AM
:rolleyes:

What? The guy was a sick beast at that position. If it helps I put Barry 2nd.

milkman
06-04-2008, 09:17 AM

Walter Payton is second.

A healthy Gale Sayers is third.

El Jefe
06-04-2008, 09:36 AM
KR/PR How can you not put Deion "Primetime" Sanders in that spot, best KR/PR ever in the game. Hester is pretty good but not on Primetimes level yet.

Amnorix
06-04-2008, 09:38 AM
KR/PR How can you not put Deion "Primetime" Sanders in that spot, best KR/PR ever in the game. Hester is pretty good but not on Primetimes level yet.

Sayers was a sick, sick return man. Deion was also great, and I won't take anything away from him either.

StcChief
06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
K- half foot Dempsey

Brock
06-04-2008, 09:41 AM

Try Brian Mitchell.

El Jefe
06-04-2008, 09:58 AM

I don't really agree with this statement. I don't recall Reggie playing DT that much especially enough to be considered best at DT in NFL history.

El Jefe
06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Sayers was a sick, sick return man. Deion was also great, and I won't take anything away from him either.

I have a biased opinion on the two of them because I remember watching Deion and not being able to watch Sayers but in NFL Film clips.

Friendo
06-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Marino
Sayers
Lanier
Little
Csonka-adding a FB
Larry Wilson
LT
Winslow
M. Harrison
Dante Hall

hon mention:
Terry Metcalf
Larry Brown
Duane Thomas
Calvin Hill....GDamn it hurts to even breathe Cowboy's

RNR
06-04-2008, 10:15 AM
QB - Elway
RB - Jim Brown
WR - Jerry Rice
WR -Lance Alworth
WR -Don Hutson
TE - John Mackey
OT - Willie Roaf
OT - Art Shell
OG - John Hannah
OG - Will Shields
C - Dwight Stevenson (sp)

DE - Reggie White
DE - Howie Long
DT - Joe Greene
DT - Randy White
LB - Ray Lewis (ouch that hurts to type)
LB - Willie Lanier
LB - Lawrence Taylor
CB - Mike Haynes
S - Ronnie Lott
S - Jack Tatum

KR/PR - Gayle Sayers
P - Ray Guy
Ask me again tomorrow and I will give a different combo! Too many great players for just one team IMO

milkman
06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I have a biased opinion on the two of them because I remember watching Deion and not being able to watch Sayers but in NFL Film clips.

That's the problem with these kind of lists.

There are so many great players that this generation never saw play.

As an example, Johnny Unitas put up the sick numbers he did in a game that didn't give offenses nearly the advantages that they have now.

DBs could mug receivers all over the field until the ball was in the air.
defensive lineman could use almost any means to get into the backfield and get pressure on the QB.
O-Linemen weren't allowed to use their hands to block.

And in spite of all that, Unitas still threw for over 48,000 yards.

And yet, he rarely enters the discussion as the all time greatest.

To me, he's right up there with Montana and Elway, with Brady still behind.

And Unitas was the toughest QB I ever saw.

But then, I never saw Sammy Baugh.

But along that same line of thinking, it's almost a consensus that Antony Munoz is the greatest LT to play the game, but before him, and before his rep took a dive because of how he ended his life, Jim Tryer was in that discussion.

It was considered a no brainer that he was the best ever.

He was quick and athletic, was a punishing run blocker, and rarely allowed QB pressuer, and this, again, when O-Linemen had to keep their hands in their body.

To me, Tyrer is still among the all time greats, in spite of the fact that the HoF snubbed him because of his mebtal break down.

Friendo
06-04-2008, 10:25 AM
yup--agree with Unitas-I think overall the best, just miss those frickin Marino lasers.

Amnorix
06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
S - Jack Tatum

Let's put aside, if we can, that he was a dirty cheap shot artist, and pause to note that he went to a whopping THREE Pro Bowls. Three.

Atwater has 8 Pro Bowls. Lott went to 10. Your boy isn't even in the same ballpark as those two, and I imagine I could come up with a few others with some effort.

Joe Seahawk
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
QB - Joe Montana
RB - Walter Payton
WR - Jerry Rice
WR -
WR -
TE -
OT - Walter jones
OT -
OG -
OG -
C -

DE -
DE -
DT - Reggie white
DT -
LB -
LB -
LB -
CB -
CB -
S - Kenny easley
S - Ronnie lott

Brock
06-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Walter Jones? WTF?

Pablo
06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Eh, we could do this by the decade.

2000's, 1990's, 1980's, 1970's, 1960's

That might help the whole biased-opinion thing.

Or it could make this thread even more of a clusterf*ck, but it's CP, everything eventually turns into a clusterf*ck.

milkman
06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Eh, we could do this by the decade.

2000's, 1990's, 1980's, 1970's, 1960's

That might help the whole biased-opinion thing.

Or it could make this thread even more of a clusterf*ck, but it's CP, everything eventually turns into a clusterf*ck.

That's your fault.

DTLB58
06-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I have a huge problem with the people that just automatically pencil in Ray Guy as the best all-time punter. I think people just remember the name and don't even do any research.

My case for Jerrel Wilson, one of our own chief fans!

Wilson:
16 season played
203 games
1,014 punts
Career average 43.6
Season best 46.1
Longest punt 72
NFL record 4 punting titles
Sources: http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=WILSOJER02
http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/jerrel_wilson/

Guy:
14 seasons played
207 games
1,049 punts
Career average 42.4
Season best 43.8
Longest punt 77
Source: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GuyxRa20.htm

Pablo
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
That's your fault.I try.

milkman
06-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I have a huge problem with the people that just automatically pencil in Ray Guy as the best all-time punter. I think people just remember the name and don't even do any research.

My case for Jerrel Wilson, one of our own chief fans!

Wilson:
16 season played
203 games
1,014 punts
Career average 43.6
Season best 46.1
Longest punt 72
NFL record 4 punting titles
Sources: http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=WILSOJER02
http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/jerrel_wilson/

Guy:
14 seasons played
207 games
1,049 punts
Career average 42.4
Season best 43.8
Longest punt 77
Source: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GuyxRa20.htm

It is amazing how easily everyone forgets about Wilson.

No one cries that he never made the HoF, but you hear crying every year now for Guy.

RNR
06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Let's put aside, if we can, that he was a dirty cheap shot artist, and pause to note that he went to a whopping THREE Pro Bowls. Three.

Atwater has 8 Pro Bowls. Lott went to 10. Your boy isn't even in the same ballpark as those two, and I imagine I could come up with a few others with some effort.

He was not well liked and the pro-bowl is a who"s popular enough to get in thing. As far as cheap shot artist that is hype he was a vicious hitter in a time when there were very few rules to protect players.

Skip Thomas and George Atkinson were both dirty players who played with Tatum and he caught a dirty label by playing beside them. He was the most feared player of his era.

You as a Patriot fan hate him because of Stingley. it was a tragic day in NFL history. I have seen that play a 100 times and it was not a cheapshot or even a hard hit for that matter. It stuns me to this day that Stingley didn't pop up after that hit just a fluke that cost that poor guy his legs.

Did Jack handle it right no but I also listed Ray Lewis because this is a football thread not a great person thread. Tatum would take away the entire middle of the field through intimadation.

He was ruthless and showed no mercy, I also could list several other players as I have seen many over the years. That said hate him or not he was a force on the field that teams changed game plans because of him and IMO was one of the greats at that position.

tyton75
06-04-2008, 11:29 AM
If we are simply talking about players in their prime and not career stats..

I would venture to pick Bo Jackson over any other RB thats ever played.. the guy was a freak of nature.

and no love for Willie Lanier? I think he was much more athletic than the so-called "best MLB's"

although my choice would be Singletary personally

milkman
06-04-2008, 11:36 AM
If we are simply talking about players in their prime and not career stats..

I would venture to pick Bo Jackson over any other RB thats ever played.. the guy was a freak of nature.

and no love for Willie Lanier? I think he was much more athletic than the so-called "best MLB's"

although my choice would be Singletary personally

I try to stay away from putting Lanier into these lists myself because he's my all time favorite player, which makes me biased.

But the guy was more athletic, and faster than many of the so called best.

He also was every bit as mean, and was widely recognized as the first to bring intelligence to the position.

All reasons that he was anmed to the all time team several years ago.

milkman
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
And a guy that is overlooked that was every bit as good as the the best is Tommy Nobis.

He was better, for my money, than Nitsche, he just had the misfortune of playing on one of the worst teams ever in the early years of the Falcons.

RNR
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I try to stay away from putting Lanier into these lists myself because he's my all time favorite player, which makes me biased.

But the guy was more athletic, and faster than many of the so called best.

He also was every bit as mean, and was widely recognized as the first to bring intelligence to the position.

All reasons that he was anmed to the all time team several years ago.

I could make several lists Lanier is on the one I listed, and I hated him :)

milkman
06-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I could make several lists Lanier is on the one I listed, and I hated him :)

Well, if I was a neanderthalic Raider fan, I'd have hated him too.

:)

RNR
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, if I was a neanderthalic Raider fan, I'd have hated him too.

:)

Whats with the fancy words city boy? I will be right back I have to look up what you called me, you...you...errr...nevermind

Molitoth
06-04-2008, 01:28 PM

yes that helps, thanks.

It's a hard thing to compare with such a difference in the era of NFL. Today's guys are much bigger/faster/stronger then the black and white days. Jim Brown might have been so good because 80% of the Countries big guys were sitting at home unscouted.

My dad always said Johnny Rodgers was the best athlete he ever saw play football....(obviously in college). My vote will go to Barry Sanders until I see someone better.

CupidStunt
06-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Possibly the most underrated player in NFL history deserves a mention - Jack Ham.

Amnorix
06-04-2008, 01:45 PM
yes that helps, thanks.

It's a hard thing to compare with such a difference in the era of NFL. Today's guys are much bigger/faster/stronger then the black and white days. Jim Brown might have been so good because 80% of the Countries big guys were sitting at home unscouted.

Sure, but if that's your standard you need to chuck everybody who played before, say, 1980. John Hannah was an all-universe guard at a mere 265 pounds of playing weight. There isn't a single NFL offensive lineman that's anything lighter than 280 these days, and that's very under the average.

Year-round workouts etc. didn't come into vogue until the mid/late 80s.

KCinNY
06-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm gonna get flamed for this but....Barry Sanders, while a great back, was way, way overrated in my opinion.

He tippytoed up to the line looking for a way to cut back for a big run and it occasionally worked. However he would often get stopped for no gain or a loss and put his team in 2nd or 3rd and long. He was never a guy who would put his head down and get his offense 3 or 4 yards.

I'd take Emmit Smith, a guy who played with a separated shoulder on astroturf to help get his team a division title. In fact, I could think of 10 guys I'd rather have as my running back than Sanders.

milkman
06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm gonna get flamed for this but....Barry Sanders, while a great back, was way, way overrated in my opinion.

He tippytoed up to the line looking for a way to cut back for a big run and it occasionally worked. However he would often get stopped for no gain or a loss and put his team in 2nd or 3rd and long. He was never a guy who would put his head down and get his offense 3 or 4 yards.

I'd take Emmit Smith, a guy who played with a separated shoulder on astroturf to help get his team a division title. In fact, I could think of 10 guys I'd rather have as my running back than Sanders.

I'm with you.

He was exciting to watch, but his losses put his team in bad spots far too much, and because of his style, they didn't trust him in short yardage and goal line situations.

Like you, I could think of at least 10 RBs I'd rather have.

RNR
06-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Smith is overrated IMO heck behind one of the greatest offensive lines in NFL history there are several RBs that could have put the numbers he had. In 94 or 95 someone did a study (I don't recall where I read it and no I don't have a link) Smiths first color was 2.5 past the line of scrimage, Sanders on the other hand met first color at 2.3 behind the line on average. Do the math thats a heck of a spot BTW Sanders won the rushing title the year this study was done.

Tribal Warfare
06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't really agree with this statement. I don't recall Reggie playing DT that much especially enough to be considered best at DT in NFL history.

he played all along the line, and dominated like a HOFer.

Tribal Warfare
06-04-2008, 04:08 PM
err....you're joking right? Reggie White or Warren Sapp. That's something that you're not quite sure about...?

No, I put that down their due to Reggie could be the starter at DT , but I'd have another player that specialized in that position. Plus it was late and I forgot about Mean Joe and Bob Lilly.

RaiderH8r
06-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Tombstone Jackson, honestly. Art Shell hated lining up against that guy. Made Art cry once and shit himself a couple of times.

Jim Brown or Bo. Everybody knows about Sanders but down for down, yard for yard Jackson and Brown would stomp a mudhole in your ass, walk it dry, back up, do it again just for kicks and then bust chops on a 60 yard run for a TD. Jim Brown was just pissed off looking for a place to happen and that's pretty nice to have in a RB.

Darryl Green is tough to pass up but I'm glad Prime Rib isn't getting any love on here.

Mackey is a good selection at TE because I'm just sure folks on this board won't be lining up to throw Shannon into that mix. And that's fine, I'm impressed you folks offer the respect you do to Atwater so I can support Mackey.

Since you folks have been pretty square about this thread I'll go ahead and say it, Derek Thomas certainly deserves consideration in here. If we're talking players in their prime I saw that SOB buckle Elway's blindside more times than I care to count. I hate the guy's f'n guts only because he contributed so mightily to the Chiefs. As an honest fan, he was good enough to play on my YMCA flag football team.

beach tribe
06-04-2008, 04:29 PM

Emmit would have been a typical NFL back, had he not played behind the lines he was blessed with.

Barry was the most elusive back to ever play, and if he ever played behind a line like Emmit's, there would be a different man holding the single season mark, but Barry would never settle for a 3 yrd gain. He was so good that he always thought that he could beat every man on the field, and sometimes he was right.

I need a back that always gets positive yards, and punishes the opponent.

Maybe not a popular choice, but if we're talking about one game or season, I wouldn't mind giving the ball to Earl Campbell 30 times a game with Iron head Hayward in front of him.

hehe.