PDA

View Full Version : Football ESPN: "Russell looks out of playing shape.”

Tribal Warfare
06-04-2008, 07:24 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-424/Raiders--camp-notes.html

A few tidbits from the first day of the Raiders' minicamp:

Rookie tailback Darren McFadden was used in several formations, including as a receiver. He caught a long pass from quarterback JaMarcus Russell at one point. McFadden looks like the real deal. He is fast and appears to be a playmaker.

Russell looked shaky at times. He had some deflected passes and still looks out of playing shape.

No. 1 receiver Javon Walker had difficulty getting separation at times. At the previous camp, Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said Walker, who signed a $55 million deal despite having bad knees, still has a long way to go in his conditioning.

Drew Carter was working as the other starting receiver with Ronald Curry out until training camp with a foot problem. Carter, a free agent from Carolina, made a few nice catches during the early session.

Andrew Walter was working as the No. 2 quarterback and Marques Tuiasosopo was getting some reps as the No. 3 quarterback. Tuiasosopo was a long-time Oakland backup who played for the Jets last year. He'll compete with Walter to be Russell's backup.

Coach Lane Kiffin lauded the play of new safety Gibril Wilson after the morning session. Kiffin suggested that Wilson was playing with more vigor than the former Giants safety did in previous camps.

And we leave with the best quote of the day. Oakland defensive end Derrick Burgess was asked about the new haircut of Oakland defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who recently shed his wild, long mane for a much shorter 'do for charity.

"He looks like a cockatoo," Burgess deadpanned.

Rain Man
06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
My goodness. Andrew Walter is still in the league? I actually pitied the guy when he was starting for them.

Buehler445
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
My goodness. Andrew Walter is still in the league? I actually pitied the guy when he was starting for them.

Yeah, I thought he was dead.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Once again, it's time to hate Tui. He's the only player in Div. 1 history to rush for 200 yards and pass for 300 in the same game. A pretty bright spot during dark times for the Husky program. Oh well, if you're a Raider, I hate you. Even if you were a damn good Husky, ala Napoleon Kauffman.

ChiefsCountry
06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Once again, it's time to hate Tui. He's the only player in Div. 1 history to rush for 200 yards and pass for 300 in the same game. A pretty bright spot during dark times for the Husky program. Oh well, if you're a Raider, I hate you. Even if you were a damn good Husky, ala Napoleon Kauffman.

Didnt they go to the Rose Bowl with him?

MIAdragon
06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Didnt they go to the Rose Bowl with him?

yup

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/654495.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19332EFD823EFD41CFD17DCD12DC6C59F12284831B75F48EF45

StcChief
06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Russell needs to step up (hope he doesn't) or he could be heading to "bustville"

Hammock Parties
06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
That's what Russell gets for following the Chris Cooley diet.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7670/78881486lj8.png

blueballs
06-04-2008, 08:28 PM
maybe Denver won't go sackless after all

little jacob
06-04-2008, 08:34 PM
maybe Denver won't go sackless after all

how are they going to knock him down?

i guess if they scatter ding dongs around the field he might tip over on his own.

Easy 6
06-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Unkl Al cant begin to spend enough of his familys inheritance to create a winner in jokeland...that place is DOOOMED until he & his decisions are gone.

If all of the recent Big Bucks signings, Kiffins volcanically shaky ground & Kurt Russell dont completely collapse into a Dwarf Star in 08...i'd be truly shocked.

I BET i'm not shocked.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I think the bigger question is...Is his brain in playing shape yet?

Consistent1
06-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I think the bigger question is...Is his brain in playing shape yet?

Yeah, I think some of the hype went to his head. He seriously has talent, but who knows how he will turn out. I would go to the gym, eat lots of protein, play some video games, and drink a few beers if I was him. Bang some chicks too. How hard can that be?

kcxiv
06-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Its ****ing June. I am sure there are TONS of players out of shape.

BWillie
06-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Jared Lorenzen is fat, and he's one of the faster QB's in the league. Who cares. You sit in the pocket, and you chuck the ball. Do you think it would matter if Tom Brady was fat? Nope.

Ugly Duck
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Its ****ing June. I am sure there are TONS of players out of shape.

He ain't one of 'em

http://www.sbreport.net/OTA/JaMarcus_Russell.jpg

Consistent1
06-05-2008, 12:23 AM
He ain't one of 'em

http://www.sbreport.net/OTA/JaMarcus_Russell.jpg

That much money, that much time? I will say that Pac-Man seems to look pretty good coming out of his time off from reports. You guys will hate to hear me say this, but he will come back with a vengeance. Russell seems to be a strange case.

kcxiv
06-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I dont know if you can tell if he's in playing shape by that picture. He's not fat, but playing shape is totally different. THen like i said. ITs freaking June. He doesnt have to really be in football game shape right now. If he, hell any player keeps it going right now until training game, they can be in tip top shape no problems.

Chiefs=Champions
06-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Wow Russel dosnt look fat, but he dosnt look at all defined either... He looks kind of soft to be honest. Oh well more padding for Dorsey i guess...

blueballs
06-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Matt Leinhart the second
better get a Kurt Warner

buddha
06-05-2008, 06:48 AM
First of all, I seriously doubt that Jared Lorenzen is among the fastest QBs in the NFL. Second, if you don't think that conditioning matters at the QB position, you don't know much about football.

The word around NoCal is that Russell was three bills during the off season, but he has lost 20 lbs. or so since then. He'll play at 275 lbs. this season.

The points about him being able to read the field at the speed he needs to is a legitimate concern.

Pablo
06-05-2008, 06:56 AM
First of all, I seriously doubt that Jared Lorenzen is among the fastest QBs in the NFL. Second, if you don't think that conditioning matters at the QB position, you don't know much about football.

The word around NoCal is that Russell was three bills during the off season, but he has lost 20 lbs. or so since then. He'll play at 275 lbs. this season.

The points about him being able to read the field at the speed he needs to is a legitimate concern.JaMarcus can't read Dr. Suess so I'd imagine making reads on the fly would be difficult.

RNR
06-05-2008, 07:42 AM
JaMarcus can't read Dr. Suess so I'd imagine making reads on the fly would be difficult.

His score was the same as stick boy Brodie on the wonderlic :)

Pablo
06-05-2008, 07:45 AM
His score was the same as stick boy Brodie on the wonderlic :)I'm not claiming Brodie is a genius either, but at least he isn't a $50 million obligation. If Brodie sucks this season, we get another QB. If FatMarcus sucks this season, you're obligated to stick with him for like 2 or 3 more seasons.

Just carrying on that Raider tradition of failure.

RNR
06-05-2008, 07:46 AM
I'm not claiming Brodie is a genius either, but at least he isn't a $50 million obligation. If Brodie sucks this season, we get another QB. If FatMarcus sucks this season, you're obligated to stick with him for like 2 or 3 more seasons.

Just carrying on that Raider tradition of failure.

ROFL whatever 1969!

HMc
06-05-2008, 08:14 AM
He looks soft, and that's baggage. I don't expect everyone to have Vernon Gholston's definition But if you're not ripped then you're carrying excess weight. That can matter in the 4th quarter.

RNR
06-05-2008, 08:29 AM
He looks soft, and that's baggage. I don't expect everyone to have Vernon Gholston's definition But if you're not ripped then you're carrying excess weight. That can matter in the 4th quarter.

I have no idea if this kid will pan out or not. He has all the tools and can make all the throws. Time will tell. As far as the carrying excess, well Marino, Farvre, Fouts, Montana, and several other QBs have and have had less than ripped body types and done well. The QB position is more mental than anything else. For every Peyton Manning there is a Ryan Leaf and time will tell where this kid ends up.

King_Chief_Fan
06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
of course he looks heavy.......especially next to our broom stick Croyle

Hootie
06-05-2008, 10:10 AM
ROFL whatever 1969!

1984 was quite some time ago, too...

Adept Havelock
06-05-2008, 10:18 AM
1984 was quite some time ago, too...

Hey, they've been there since then...

and suffered one of the worst beatings a SB team ever received. :)

Brock
06-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I have no idea if this kid will pan out or not. He has all the tools and can make all the throws. Time will tell. As far as the carrying excess, well Marino, Farvre, Fouts, Montana, and several other QBs have and have had less than ripped body types and done well. The QB position is more mental than anything else. For every Peyton Manning there is a Ryan Leaf and time will tell where this kid ends up.

Those guys all had a passion for the game. You guys could barely get him to come to work before the season ended. Good luck with that.

RNR
06-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Those guys all had a passion for the game. You guys could barely get him to come to work before the season ended. Good luck with that.

As I said in my post time will tell.