PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Guess the NBA Finals Nielson Rating?

BWillie
06-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Lakers and Celts. How can you go wrong right? Last year's NBA Finals ranked the lowest in NBA history and LeBron James was even in it. I'm sure that had something to do with the Spurs and the 4-0 blow out.

Will the resurgence of the classic rivalry increase the amount of viewers to the Kobe-Shaq ERA, or even the Jordan Era?

See history of ratings below compliments of wikipedia....

NBA FINALS RATINGS
12.4 1994 Houston Rockets 4, New York Knicks 3
13.9 1995 Houston Rockets 4, Orlando Magic 0
16.7 1996 Chicago Bulls 4, Seattle Supersonics 2
16.8 1997 Chicago Bulls 4, Utah Jazz 2
18.7 1998 Chicago Bulls 4, Utah Jazz 2 (**highest ever**)
11.3 1999 San Antonio Spurs 4, New York Knicks 1
11.6 2000 Los Angeles Lakers 4, Indiana Pacers 2
12.1 2001 Los Angeles Lakers 4, Philadelphia 76ers 1
10.2 2002 Los Angeles Lakers 4, New Jersey Nets 0
6.5 2003 San Antonio Spurs 4, New Jersey Nets 2
11.5 2004 Detroit Pistons 4, Los Angeles Lakers 1
8.2 2005 San Antonio Spurs 4, Detroit Pistons 3
8.5 2006 Miami Heat 4, Dallas Mavericks 2
6.2 2007 San Antonio Spurs 4, Cleveland Cavaliers 0

WORLD SERIES RATINGS
2007 Boston/Colorado 10.9
2006 St Louis/Detroit 10.3
2005 White Sox/Houston 11.9
2004 Boston/St Louis 16.0
2003 Florida/NY Yankees 13.1
2002 Anaheim/San Francisco 11.9
2001 Arizona/NY Yankees 15.7
2000 NY Yankees/NY Mets 12.6

What I find interesting is how World Series ratings have really struggled just about as much as NBA ratings yet nobody comes to say anything about that. I guess the NBA ratings drop is a more recent than the MLB.

I find it amazing that back in MLB's hayday the St Louis/Royals 1985 World Series saw ratings of 22.1, 23.2, 25.4, 24.8, 24.9, 24.2, and 32.6. Those ratings are from game 1 to game 7 respectively. Wow, George Brett must have been a god. If two midwestern teams played now I cringe to think what the World Series ratings would be, probably about 5.0. Alot of people contribute the downfall to the MLB ratings to the strike, but the MLB saw a large downfall of TV viewers after the 1986 season continue until the strike.

Friendo
06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
let's give Whitey's Cards a little credit too. best 2 inning reliever, and maybe best shortstop in MLB history.

Deberg_1990
06-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I find it amazing that back in MLB's hayday the St Louis/Royals 1985 World Series saw ratings of 22.1, 23.2, 25.4, 24.8, 24.9, 24.2, and 32.6.

While true that MLB isnt as popular as it once was, nothing on network TV gets as high as ratings as it used to except maybe the NFL.

TV has become specialized and has fragmented the audience shares.

little jacob
06-05-2008, 06:40 PM
i think the higher ratings in the 80s probably translate to less options on tv. i know i was looking at about 5 channels back then.

i tend to see the golden age of the NBA ending with the end of Jordan's run in Chicago and that being more of the reason for the ratings dipping after that. but any sport losing far and away its greatest star ever is going to be hurt somewhat.

Extra Point
06-05-2008, 08:45 PM
i think the higher ratings in the 80s probably translate to less options on tv. i know i was looking at about 5 channels back then.

i tend to see the golden age of the NBA ending with the end of Jordan's run in Chicago and that being more of the reason for the ratings dipping after that. but any sport losing far and away its greatest star ever is going to be hurt somewhat.

True dat!

BWillie
06-19-2008, 01:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3451382

NEW YORK -- Game 6 drew the highest NBA Finals television ratings in eight years.

The Boston Celtics' deciding victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday night earned a 10.7 rating on ABC, the network said Wednesday. It's the highest since Game 6 of the 2000 finals on NBC between the Lakers and Indiana Pacers.

The series averaged a 9.3 rating, up 50 percent over the 6.2 last year, when the San Antonio Spurs swept the Cleveland Cavaliers. But it fell short of the last finals involving the Lakers in 2004, which averaged an 11.5.

The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with televisions.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

------------------

Better than I expected to tell you the truth.

Adept Havelock
06-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Somewhere between Cop Rock and the First Season of The West Wing.

Brock
06-19-2008, 01:23 PM
So, "Just the Laker effect", then?

kcxiv
06-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, its a start. Keep up good basketball and it will get higher, but they gotta get better ref's or allow for some kinda of instant reply but have it limited. Game 1 and 2 were horribly called. 2 being by far the worst thing i have ever seen.

chasedude
06-19-2008, 02:31 PM
While true that MLB isnt as popular as it once was, nothing on network TV gets as high as ratings as it used to except maybe the NFL.

I wonder about the ratings drop in Golf if Tiger Woods stops playing.

beach tribe
06-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, its a start. Keep up good basketball and it will get higher, but they gotta get better ref's or allow for some kinda of instant reply but have it limited. Game 1 and 2 were horribly called. 2 being by far the worst thing i have ever seen.

You don't really believe they will challenge fouls do you?

That's the biggest problem.

kcxiv
06-19-2008, 06:14 PM
You don't really believe they will challenge fouls do you?

That's the biggest problem.

No, but they need to do something regarding the ref's. That shit can get really bad at times. Start fining them or something. They can do the players why not the ref's. Hell, reward them for calling good games. That may help. Make the play offs and the Finals a bigger paycheck for them if they are good.

Frazod
06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Home entertainment options have increased nearly exponentially since the 80s. Back then cable was in its infancy, and even if you had it you only had a dozen options. Home video games were also in their infancy. Most people were only starting to get VCRs, and movie rental selection was limited.

Now, most people have a couple of hundred channels to choose from, thousands of movies they can watch at home on huge TVs, and video games that are so detailed they are approaching real life appearance.

And despite what those of you in Kansas might think, basketball ain't all that. And despite what Lakers fans may think, Kobe ain't Michael Jordan.

kstater
06-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I wonder about the ratings drop in Golf if Tiger Woods stops playing.

That's a rhetorical question right? The worst thing that could happen for golf, did this week.

Bearcat
06-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Too bad the big story the next day seemed to be Tiger Woods. Stupid golf. I really tried to get into the NBA playoffs this year, because of Paul Pierce's chance at a title, but it's tiring to see so many free throws and commercials and flopping. LeBron and Pierce provided the worst and perhaps only 'dual flop' I've ever seen in any sport.

The talent is awesome.... great athletes that can shoot from anywhere. If only that's what the game was about...

Amnorix
06-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Right. In 1985 there were 5 channels or whatever, and on the days of the World Series the only sporting events on TV were, umm, right, the World Series.

With cable and everything, you have many more choices. Technology changes life.

Amnorix
06-19-2008, 07:37 PM

Game 3 went a long way towards redeeming any complaints you may have for game 2, thankyouverymuch. And don't even suggest that the Lakers really were as good a team as the Celtics. It's painfully obvious at this point that they just weren't.

Amnorix
06-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Too bad the big story the next day seemed to be Tiger Woods. Stupid golf. I really tried to get into the NBA playoffs this year, because of Paul Pierce's chance at a title, but it's tiring to see so many free throws and commercials and flopping. LeBron and Pierce provided the worst and perhaps only 'dual flop' I've ever seen in any sport.

The talent is awesome.... great athletes that can shoot from anywhere. If only that's what the game was about...

Gotta agree with all of this.

teedubya
06-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Kobe, don't be rapin'.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IglgqvWYO-Q&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IglgqvWYO-Q&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thig Lyfe
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3451382

NEW YORK -- Game 6 drew the highest NBA Finals television ratings in eight years.

The Boston Celtics' deciding victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday night earned a 10.7 rating on ABC, the network said Wednesday. It's the highest since Game 6 of the 2000 finals on NBC between the Lakers and Indiana Pacers.

The series averaged a 9.3 rating, up 50 percent over the 6.2 last year, when the San Antonio Spurs swept the Cleveland Cavaliers. But it fell short of the last finals involving the Lakers in 2004, which averaged an 11.5.

The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with televisions.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

------------------

Better than I expected to tell you the truth.

And that's why Stern put Boston and LA in the Finals.

kcxiv
06-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Game 3 went a long way towards redeeming any complaints you may have for game 2, thankyouverymuch. And don't even suggest that the Lakers really were as good a team as the Celtics. It's painfully obvious at this point that they just weren't.

NO shit, but that still shouldnt excuse how horrible that shit really was. They just need to vfind ways for the ref's to be more consistant is all. Just look around fans of other teams see how horrible the ref's really were. Its not just me being upset becuase the Lakers lost. They were not the better team. They overachieved big time this year.

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 05:44 AM
NO shit, but that still shouldnt excuse how horrible that shit really was. They just need to vfind ways for the ref's to be more consistant is all. Just look around fans of other teams see how horrible the ref's really were. Its not just me being upset becuase the Lakers lost. They were not the better team. They overachieved big time this year.

Referees in the NBA have the hardest job of any professional sport, IMHO. Everything is a judgment call, except the 3 point line. Charge or blocking foul is a razor-thin margin alot of times. How much contact is too much? It's not easy.

But yes, game 2 won't go into the record books as the best called game ever, I'm sure of that.