PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Grillmasters: Ideas for grilling shrimp?

Buehler445
06-07-2008, 07:25 AM
I need some culinary advice from the masters of the open flame.

The wife and I found a pretty solid deal on some raw shrimp, so we picked some up to grill. The problem being that I've never grilled shrimp before, and I've never dealt with raw shrimp either.

Do I have to de-poop them?

Do I have to use a skewer or can I just throw them on?

What's the best heat to put them on? (I was planning on grilling some steaks along with them).

Any suggestions for seasonings? I was planning to mix up some season salt and some cajun seasoning I have.

Thanks in advance. And as always, I bow to your culinary expertise. :hail:

Gonzo
06-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Yes, you do need to make sure they are clean. A skewer usually helps as well. A common mistake with shrimp is over seasoning. I would just lightly season with a little cajun seasoning and maybe some lemon juice. Don't over-cook unless you like that rubbery texture.

Reerun_KC
06-07-2008, 07:32 AM
JB, my wife and I usually cook them in a mixture of Honey and Hienz 57.. We will grill them and baste them with that while grilling.. Turning ever so often and basting again.

Pretty good eats if you want the truth....

Phobia
06-07-2008, 07:36 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3230428&postcount=13Have you seen my brochette recipe?

I've posted it half a dozen times to raving reviews. The search function failed, so here ya go:

Keep in mind, this is relatively easy but it is time consuming - especially if you haven't done it before.

Ingredients:
Largest uncooked shrimp you can find
Meatiest bacon
Old Bay or cajun spice
fresh jalapeno peppers
your favorite cheese (not shredded)
toothpicks

Clean your shrimp down to last joint, leave tail, remove vein like this. Half butterfly shrimp - this means don't cut all the way through front to back. You may fully butterfly them, but when you're stuffing with cheese and peppers then wrestling them into a bacon wrap, you'll wish you had left a little barrier to help contain the ingredients.

Sliver jalapenos - the larger the slivers, the spicier it will be.
Cut cheese into strips about the length of the shrimp.
Now lay out bacon.
The object is to roll your bacon tightly around the shrimp containing some cheese and a sliver of pepper. When you achieve this, you'll push a toothpick through. This process is going to be frustrating. Some of them are going to be ugly. Sometimes you'll need to use more than 1 toothpick. It doesn't matter. You'll get the hang of it and develop your own process - eventually. This is not a meal you want to prepare for a large group.

Sprinkle entire tray of wrapped shrimp with Old Bay or cajun spice.

Cook on a hot grill that has been wiped with olive oil (on the cooking surface). Due to the fat in the bacon, it's going to flame up - so you might want to bring a spray bottle of water out with you. The flames are okay - it helps to cook the bacon. Grill until bacon browns. The shrimp will be cooked if the bacon is done properly. Remove toothpicks and enjoy.

I usually like to serve this with some dirty rice, jambalaya, bay scallops, jalapeno corn bread - something with a cajun flair.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-07-2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3230428&postcount=13Have you seen my brochette recipe?

I've posted it half a dozen times to raving reviews. The search function failed, so here ya go:

Keep in mind, this is relatively easy but it is time consuming - especially if you haven't done it before.

Ingredients:
Meatiest bacon
Old Bay or cajun spice
fresh jalapeno peppers
toothpicks

Clean your shrimp down to last joint, leave tail, remove vein like this. Half butterfly shrimp - this means don't cut all the way through front to back. You may fully butterfly them, but when you're stuffing with cheese and peppers then wrestling them into a bacon wrap, you'll wish you had left a little barrier to help contain the ingredients.

Now lay out bacon.
The object is to roll your bacon tightly around the shrimp containing some cheese and a sliver of pepper. When you achieve this, you'll push a toothpick through. This process is going to be frustrating. Some of them are going to be ugly. Sometimes you'll need to use more than 1 toothpick. It doesn't matter. You'll get the hang of it and develop your own process - eventually. This is not a meal you want to prepare for a large group.

Cook on a hot grill that has been wiped with olive oil (on the cooking surface). Due to the fat in the bacon, it's going to flame up - so you might want to bring a spray bottle of water out with you. The flames are okay - it helps to cook the bacon. Grill until bacon browns. The shrimp will be cooked if the bacon is done properly. Remove toothpicks and enjoy.

I usually like to serve this with some dirty rice, jambalaya, bay scallops, jalapeno corn bread - something with a cajun flair.

I've had this with cream cheese...to DIE for....

MTG#10
06-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Ingredients:
Meatiest bacon
Old Bay or cajun spice
fresh jalapeno peppers
toothpicks

Now lay out bacon.

:drool:

jspchief
06-07-2008, 09:37 AM
If you use wood skewers, soak them in water to avoid charring.

If you don't want to use skewers, grilling baskets that allow you to flip a lot of small pieces in one turn are nice (works great for veggies too).

As for spices, I don't like to use a lot of salt based spice on shrimp. Liquid marinades can make good basting sauce (lemon pepper is good).

the Talking Can
06-07-2008, 09:51 AM
de-poop for sure, need a sharp knife if leaving the shell on...

i like to leave the shell on, brush with some olive oil and hot chili oil, minced garlic...grill over hot ass heat....literally 1-2 minute per side, depending on size...

if they're big enough, just use tongs

TrebMaxx
06-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Just go and get some McCormick's Grill Mates Mesquite marinade. Get yourself some of the 15-20 count shrimp, yes de-poop them and I prefer to remove the shells. Then use the marinade, the longer you marinade the more heat/spicey you will get. Put them on skewers and cook about 2 minutes a side. Easy.

Abba-Dabba
06-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Shrimpin for Dummies. Hot flame, fast cookin. Easy for beginners.

Available at any Wal-Mart.

Abba-Dabba
06-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Seriously though, just go with a simple marinade like a fajita marinade. You need to worry about learning how to grill shrimp before worrying about a certain flavor. The flavor won't matter if you leave them on the grill a minute too long.

Just have a hot flame, lotsa smoke and 4 mins max.