PDA

View Full Version : Other Games Favorite Board Games

Jenson71
06-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I was recently introduced to Quarto and absolutely love this game.

I like Chess but I'm not a bit good at it.

I'd like to learn how to play that and Go well enough to amaze people.

Rain Man
06-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I like wargames, and there are a couple that are my favorites.

First, there's an old SPI game called Conquistador. Great play system and concept. You had to first explore new lands and then settle them, and as the game progressed you evolved from looting and trying to survive to building lasting settlements and eventually trying to destroy other players' settlements. I love it even though I've never been able to play a full game since it takes 20+ hours to play a game.

Another game I really like is an old Avalon Hill game called Tobruk. It's a game of British/German WWII battles in North Africa, and has a great game system. It was played on a level of individual tanks and soldiers. My friends and I would abandon the plain North Africa map and play it on Squad Leader game boards to get more fun out of it.

I also like Outreach, a game of exploration throughout the universe, and Civilization (not the video game, but rather the board game where you tried to build cities and take over other players' land, and you had a period of trade each turn where you tried to build up your commodities.

Kraus
06-09-2008, 12:04 AM
I still love Risk.

Stewie
06-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Another game I really like is an old Avalon Hill game called Tobruk.

Avalon Hill also made Rail Baron. It's one of the best board games out there if you can find it.

RealSNR
06-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I have a bizarre attraction to Clue. Maybe it's the metal weapons on the board or the sexy portrait of Miss Scarlet... I'm not quite sure.

patteeu
06-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Avalon Hill also made Rail Baron. It's one of the best board games out there if you can find it.

Rail Baron is one of my favorite beer & pretzel type games (i.e. the type that doesn't take much concentration). It's designed in a way that there are almost always 2 or 3 players who have a shot at winning until the last couple of rolls of the dice.

TrickyNicky
06-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Sequence

rambleonthruthefog
06-09-2008, 07:56 AM
monop, statego

Rain Man
06-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Rail Baron is one of my favorite beer & pretzel type games (i.e. the type that doesn't take much concentration). It's designed in a way that there are almost always 2 or 3 players who have a shot at winning until the last couple of rolls of the dice.

I've never played Rail Baron. I'll have to give it a try at some point...though that's a futile cause right now. I bet it's been ten years since I've been able to sit down with a board game. I miss doing that.

Kylo Ren
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Axis & Allies

siberian khatru
06-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Another game I really like is an old Avalon Hill game called Tobruk. It's a game of British/German WWII battles in North Africa, and has a great game system. It was played on a level of individual tanks and soldiers. My friends and I would abandon the plain North Africa map and play it on Squad Leader game boards to get more fun out of it.

Heh, I played that as a kid in the 70s.

I used to play a ton of tabletop baseball -- APBA, Strat-o-matic, Pursue the Pennant, Statis-pro, Sherco ...

chasedude
06-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I used to play all kinds of game with my mom and dad back in the day. We played Sorry, Life, Monopoly, Connect Four, Hungry Hungry Hippos (the younger days), and others I can't recollect at this moment. I think they're some still in an old closet at my mom's house.

gblowfish
06-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Nuclear War.
http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/nucwar.htm

Pablo
06-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Monopoly is truly a game of have and have-nots. I get pretty f*cking pissed when some asshole lands 2 or 3 nice properties and a railroad in one pass around the board, and my ass can't land on the stacked community chest ever, all the while charging pennies for my shit houses on Baltic, and being forced to mortgage my water company because I get hit with a $800 rent fee over on Boardwalk.

F*ck that game.

Risk is a very enjoyable game. And I like yahtzee.

rambleonthruthefog
06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
anyone ever play cranium? this is a d*mn good game.

Fish
06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Asimovian Hyperchess

Extra Point
06-09-2008, 08:47 AM
It was Colonel Peterson at One Arrowhead Drive with the Price Hike.

Amnorix
06-09-2008, 09:07 AM
and Civilization (not the video game, but rather the board game where you tried to build cities and take over other players' land, and you had a period of trade each turn where you tried to build up your commodities.

I only played Advanced Civ, which I think was the version 2.0 of Civ, but a great game. Bit long however, but a great game.

For myself, Titan remains an all-time favorite. I am also fond of the various Settlers of Catan games, Puerto Rice is fun, the various 18XX Railroad games, and various others.

Star Fleet Battles is awesome, though LONG as hell.

I never got into Advanced Squad Leader, however. That one was more than I could bear.

Sadly, I hardly have time for board games these days. I'm slowly getting my two boys into them however. Right now we're on Battleship and Sorry. :D

Brock
06-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Risk. Best ever.

Adept Havelock
06-09-2008, 09:19 AM

First, there's an old SPI game called Conquistador. Great play system and concept. You had to first explore new lands and then settle them, and as the game progressed you evolved from looting and trying to survive to building lasting settlements and eventually trying to destroy other players' settlements. I love it even though I've never been able to play a full game since it takes 20+ hours to play a game.

I also like Outreach, a game of exploration throughout the universe, and Civilization (not the video game, but rather the board game where you tried to build cities and take over other players' land, and you had a period of trade each turn where you tried to build up your commodities.

Tobruk and Civilization were great. Never played Conquistador, but it sounds like fun.

My top 5 boardgames:

1) Diplomacy- No dice. Just skill and the ability to manipulate your opponents.

2) Supremacy- A more realistic "Risk" meets "Diplomacy" and "Monopoly" with nukes, boomer subs, armored divisions, chemical and unconventional weapons, etc. Oh, and boring but important things like economics and trade.

3) Avalon Hill's The Russian Campaign- Great strategic level game of the 41-45 war.

4) Avalon Hill's Dune- With the right 6 players, one of the best cutthroat gaming experiences ever.

5) Milton Bradley's Axis and Allies- Best "beer and pretzels" wargame I've ever played. Fortress America is almost tied with it, as one of the best balanced games I've ever played.

Star Fleet Battles is awesome, though LONG as hell.

Yes, yes it was. It was a wonderful day for me when the system was used as the basis for the Starfleet Command computer games (Especially Version 2 and Orion Pirates). Ever play the strategic version Federation and Empire?

CoMoChief
06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Mousetrap, even though there were times the entire trap thing wouldn't work. It'd get stuck in the process.

jidar
06-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I am a boardgame nut.
As a kid I liked the old standbys, Monopoly, Risk, Clue... In highschool after playing a bit of DnD and MagicTG I joined an historical gaming club at the local university and was introduced to various Avalon Hill games, not the least of which was Axis and Allies and Civilization. Also played a lot of Kingmaker, Supremacy, and Diplomacy.

I still play some of these occasionally but the truth is board gaming has made a resurgence and there are modern games that improve on all of those in just about every way.

Favorites today include

A Game of Thrones:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/images/agotbg_board.jpg

BattleLore
http://static.battlelore.com/lang/english/images/bl_photo8.jpg

Settlers of Catan
http://www.gameoutfitter.com/images/BG_MF_SettlersCatan.jpg

and
Twilight Struggle
http://z.about.com/d/boardgames/1/0/6/c/wbc2006_10.jpg

Actually I have a pretty big collection and like tons more as well:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollection.php3?username=jidar&own=1&startletter=ALL

If you used to like Board Games, but have only limited experience to modern games you should definitely browse around on http://www.boardgamegeek.com and see what the hobby is like now. A good place to start is the games sorted by rank: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortby=rank

Simply Red
06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Tarheel's Monopoly

Adept Havelock
06-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the recommend, jidar. Twilight Struggle looks great.

FAX
06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Strip Scrabble is the best.

FAX

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2008, 12:35 PM

My favorite was Global Thermonuclear War.

Adept Havelock
06-09-2008, 12:36 PM
My favorite was Global Thermonuclear War.

It's not a boardgame, but it is a lot of fun:

http://www.introversion.co.uk/defcon/

FAX
06-09-2008, 12:38 PM
The cool thing about Strip Scrabble is that, if can spell a naughty word, your opponent has to try it.

EDIT: It helps to have a lot of Cs and Ss.

FAX

RealSNR
06-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Strip Scrabble is the best.

FAXI don't know about that. Have you seen the average Scrabble player?

patteeu
06-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I've never played Rail Baron. I'll have to give it a try at some point...though that's a futile cause right now. I bet it's been ten years since I've been able to sit down with a board game. I miss doing that.

It's a pretty mindless game so it's good for mixed company when you want to sit around and talk while playing a game (as opposed to a group of gaming geeks who want to spend all their time calculating odds for their next turn's moves). I'd say the strategy level is on par with a game like Risk.

Mama Hip Rockets
06-09-2008, 01:41 PM
apples to apples
balderdash

patteeu
06-09-2008, 01:43 PM
4) Avalon Hill's Dune- With the right 6 players, one of the best cutthroat gaming experiences ever.

That's another one of my old favorites. But like you suggest, it really takes 5 or 6 players to make it work well and it's been a long time since I've been around 4 or 5 other gamers.

Amnorix
06-09-2008, 01:49 PM
1) Diplomacy- No dice. Just skill and the ability to manipulate your opponents.

Yes, good game.

Only played once or twice. Seemed like a good one, but I didn't have much chance to get decent at it.

5) Milton Bradley's Axis and Allies- Best "beer and pretzels" wargame I've ever played. Fortress America is almost tied with it, as one of the best balanced games I've ever played.

Like both games, and played both extensively. Axis and Allies wasn't generally balanced at all without a few house rules at least, and even with them was often troublesome.

Yes, yes it was. It was a wonderful day for me when the system was used as the basis for the Starfleet Command computer games (Especially Version 2 and Orion Pirates). Ever play the strategic version Federation and Empire?

Bought it, but never played Fed and Empire, unfortunately. I'm sure it's still kicking around in the basement somewhere...

CoMoChief
06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I am a boardgame nut.
As a kid I liked the old standbys, Monopoly, Risk, Clue... In highschool after playing a bit of DnD and MagicTG I joined an historical gaming club at the local university and was introduced to various Avalon Hill games, not the least of which was Axis and Allies and Civilization. Also played a lot of Kingmaker, Supremacy, and Diplomacy.

Wow, I bet you got a lot of ass in college. ROFL Did you whip out your Star Wars talking action figures and show them off to the ladies as well?

Micjones
06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, Scattegories

Ceej
06-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I dunno why but I've had this urge to play Scattegories lately.

CoMoChief
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
I dunno why but I've had this urge to play Scattegories lately.

Great game. Especially when its with a lot of people, like a family or something.

Rain Man
06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I never got into Advanced Squad Leader, however. That one was more than I could bear.

Same here. The game system seemed really unwieldy to me, though admittedly I only played it a couple of times. We would buy the game boards for use with our own wargames or with Tobruk, though, because ASL maps were great for tactical-level wargames.

Buck
07-06-2011, 03:45 AM
Settlers of Catan is the business.

Lonewolf Ed
07-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Axis & Allies

That was a great game! I liked the computer version, but Axis & Allies II was crap.

Fire Me Boy!
07-06-2011, 05:41 AM
I have a bizarre attraction to Clue. Maybe it's the metal weapons on the board or the sexy portrait of Miss Scarlet... I'm not quite sure.

Ever played Clue: Master Detective?

http://www.amazon.com/Clue-Master-Detective-Board-Game/dp/B000PESP6M

It was only out for a little bit a long time ago, but it's the original game, plus added characters (10), weapons (8) and rooms (13). It's awesome.

ReynardMuldrake
07-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Arkham Horror.

AndChiefs
07-06-2011, 06:35 AM
I played...

Risk
Axis and Allies
Settlers of Catan (Knights expansion)

way too much in my lifetime.

Infidel Goat
07-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Ever played Clue: Master Detective?

http://www.amazon.com/Clue-Master-Detective-Board-Game/dp/B000PESP6M

It was only out for a little bit a long time ago, but it's the original game, plus added characters (10), weapons (8) and rooms (13). It's awesome.

The Harry Potter Clue game (yes, I have kids) is actually pretty good. There are some new wrinkles to the game (secret passages between rooms change throughout gameplay, helper cards that protect you from bad stuff that happens periodically, etc).

More fun than the orginal (to me at least).

luv
07-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Clue

MOhillbilly
07-06-2011, 07:38 AM
risk
sorry
battleshit ( 5 shot salvo only)
checkers

Chief_in_Commander
07-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I was kinda scared to post in here as I figured nobody played some of the nerdy games I played. I love board games and my family has played a ton of them. You guys mentioned some of my favorites all ready but here are some more.

Candidate, Stop thief!, Stock market game, New World, Puerto rico, Settlers of Catan, Rail Baron, D & D castle of Ravenloft, Pandemic, Betrayal at house on the hill, Last Night on earth......i've played most of these within the last couple months....great games

loochy
07-06-2011, 07:53 AM
checkers ftw

CHENZ A!
07-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Scrabble. The thinking man's game.

Frazod
07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Risk and Monopoly. And I'm a complete bastard playing both, especially Monopoly. I almost always win, and most people won't play with me a second time.

MOhillbilly
07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Risk and Monopoly. And I'm a complete bastard playing both, especially Monopoly. I almost always win, and most people won't play with me a second time.

sounds awesome.

Frazod
07-06-2011, 09:01 AM
sounds awesome.

If I could be a scumbag like that in real life, I'd probably be filthy rich.

Steron
07-06-2011, 10:23 AM
I like Axis & Allies but I don't have the fortitude to sit down for a 20 hour marathon at this stage of my life.

Some other favorites are Monopoly, Risk, and Clue.

MOhillbilly
07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I like Axis & Allies but I don't have the fortitude to sit down for a 20 hour marathon at this stage of my life.

ummm they have 100000 rules to speed the game up. i like nukes.

patteeu
07-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I've had quite a bit of fun playing Axis and Allies over the years, but I came to the conclusion that the Allies should always win between experienced players absent some really lucky die roles for the Axis in the early game.

I don't know if optional rules fix this game balance issue or if they just made the game unpredictable again because I had less experience with them. Rain Man had some pretty fun optional rules the last time I played with him (in person rather than online).

AndChiefs
07-06-2011, 10:44 AM

It only takes 4-5 hours generally when I play. Still a marathon but manageable on a Friday or Saturday night.

Amnorix
07-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Arkham Horror.

Fun game.

An absolutely terrific new game that is Dominion. It's a card game, but not like any card game you've ever played. It's alot of fun. If you like strategic gaming, you will almost definitely like this game.

MOhillbilly
07-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I've had quite a bit of fun playing Axis and Allies over the years, but I came to the conclusion that the Allies should always win between experienced players absent some really lucky die roles for the Axis in the early game.

I don't know if optional rules fix this game balance issue or if they just made the game unpredictable again because I had less experience with them. Rain Man had some pretty fun optional rules the last time I played with him.

option rules for experinced players is the only way to make the game worth a shit cause like you said allies will always dominate in the end.

RealSNR
07-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Fun game.

An absolutely terrific new game that is Dominion. It's a card game, but not like any card game you've ever played. It's alot of fun. If you like strategic gaming, you will almost definitely like this game.I discovered this game about a year ago and I went nuts about it. I bought my own set and was constantly trying to find players for it.

The funny part is everybody I asked was like, "Uhh... yeah. I know about that game. I have it." It was like this game was the big thing everybody was talking about but somehow I was left out of the loop.

And because everybody I played with had more experience than me I got my ass kicked all the time. :doh!:

ReynardMuldrake
07-06-2011, 01:32 PM

I don't know if optional rules fix this game balance issue or if they just made the game unpredictable again because I had less experience with them. Rain Man had some pretty fun optional rules the last time I played with him (in person rather than online).

Axis is nigh unbeatable when played correctly. The problem is most players go for the military instead of the economic victory.

ReynardMuldrake
07-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Fun game.

An absolutely terrific new game that is Dominion. It's a card game, but not like any card game you've ever played. It's alot of fun. If you like strategic gaming, you will almost definitely like this game.

I've heard great things about it, but it's hard finding enough people willing to try something new.

Rausch
07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
It only takes 4-5 hours generally when I play. Still a marathon but manageable on a Friday or Saturday night.

Love the game.

Best played with nerds, beer, and a an off day dedicated to play.

There are multiple variations on the original concept. Super Hero, nuclear war, etc...

tooge
07-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Risk, monopoly, pictionary, and of course, the best board game of all? Craps

NewChief
07-06-2011, 01:56 PM
For the geeks among us, this looks like it could be good:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66356/dungeons-dragons-wrath-of-ashardalon-board-game

I've played Castle Ravenloft a few times, and it's pretty fun. Settlers of Catan is, of course, a classic.

Also, Wizards has out a risk-style game now called Conquest of Nerath:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/92044/dungeons-dragons-conquest-of-nerath-board-game

vailpass
07-06-2011, 01:58 PM
For the geeks among us, this looks like it could be good:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66356/dungeons-dragons-wrath-of-ashardalon-board-game

I've played Castle Ravenloft a few times, and it's pretty fun. Settlers of Catan is, of course, a classic.

Also, Wizards has out a risk-style game now called Conquest of Nerath:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/92044/dungeons-dragons-conquest-of-nerath-board-game

LMAO Love you guys.

NewChief
07-06-2011, 02:00 PM
I was kinda scared to post in here as I figured nobody played some of the nerdy games I played. I love board games and my family has played a ton of them. You guys mentioned some of my favorites all ready but here are some more.

Candidate, Stop thief!, Stock market game, New World, Puerto rico, Settlers of Catan, Rail Baron, D & D castle of Ravenloft, Pandemic, Betrayal at house on the hill, Last Night on earth......i've played most of these within the last couple months....great games

:thumb:

We play Castle Ravenloft (amongst others) whenever we can't put together enough people for a real session of D&D.

NewChief
07-06-2011, 02:01 PM
LMAO Love you guys.

Geek is the new chic. :p

vailpass
07-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Geek is the new chic. :p

I'm with it. Over the years I've been on this board I've gone from thinking the whole geek thing was an exaggerated myth to witnessing first hand that it is the real deal.
Some of you use your powers for good, some for evil.

KurtCobain
07-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Sorry!

patteeu
07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Axis is nigh unbeatable when played correctly. The problem is most players go for the military instead of the economic victory.

Obviously, I don't agree.

Edit: After cursory googling, I find that there are several variations of Axis and Allies (Original, Revised, and 1942 at a minimum). It could be that you and I are talking about different versions. As far as I'm concerned, the Original version is unbalanced toward the Allies. I don't know about the other two versions.

AndChiefs
07-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Edit: After cursory googling, I find that there are several variations of Axis and Allies (Original, Revised, and 1942 at a minimum). It could be that you and I are talking about different versions. As far as I'm concerned, the Original version is unbalanced toward the Allies. I don't know about the other two versions.

I've always played the original. Out of about 30 games (both Axis and Allies) I've lost once. Definitely my highest winning percentage out of any board game.

I've never really noticed many balance issues but you can certainly be screwed by bad luck.

BigRedChief
07-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm with it. Over the years I've been on this board I've gone from thinking the whole geek thing was an exaggerated myth to witnessing first hand that it is the real deal.
Some of you use your powers for good, some for evil.

And some work both sides of the coin.

patteeu
07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I've always played the original. Out of about 30 games (both Axis and Allies) I've lost once. Definitely my highest winning percentage out of any board game.

I've never really noticed many balance issues but you can certainly be screwed by bad luck.

If you've only lost once, the most likely reason is that you've played against inferior opponents (or else you've always played Allies).

patteeu
07-06-2011, 11:11 PM
This is kind of weird. Before today, I'd never heard of Settlers of Catan or Dominion. Both sounded interesting enough that I googled them and read about them which is something I haven't done for any other game mentioned in this thread (besides Axis and Allies which I googled to check on balance issues).

Later this afternoon, I was watching a youtube video made by a professional Starcraft player (Sean Plott from Leawood, Kansas) and he was talking about how he got into that game. During his talk, he made an offhand reference to a couple of games he used to play with his "game playing" family. Settlers of Catan and Dominion were the two he mentioned.

07-06-2011, 11:45 PM
I always loved The Game of Life. My next favorite is Clue Great Museum Heist

AndChiefs
07-07-2011, 07:00 AM
If you've only lost once, the most likely reason is that you've played against inferior opponents (or else you've always played Allies).

Probably the inferior opponents. I always play against the same people. We randomly assign what country we're in charge of.

listopencil
07-07-2011, 09:05 AM
As a kid I played any game I could get my hands on, in the Navy it was RPG's and Risk, with my own kids Clue was a big favorite. But my wife would grab any board game that went on sale. We ended up with a ton of them. I think the last one I played was Operation.

Dartgod
07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
My favorites growing up:

Risk
Monopoly
Clue
Careers
Life

My brother and sister wouldn't play Risk with me after the first few times we played it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
07-07-2011, 10:05 AM
No love for Stratego? That was one of my favorites as a kid.

listopencil
07-07-2011, 10:05 AM
My brother and sister wouldn't play Risk with me after the first few times we played it.

We had a guy on my ship that we called "Adolph". The guy would win every game he played. It didn't matter where he started from, and we would all try to keep our eye on him, but it never worked. At one point we all sat down and just decided to knock him out. It wasn't planned. All of us just threw everything we had at him, even leaving our common borders low on troops to concentrate forces against him. We did take him out but he was so pissed off that he never played with us again.

Jaric
07-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Axis & Allies

This.

Dartgod
07-07-2011, 10:08 AM
We had a guy on my ship that we called "Adolph". The guy would win every game he played. It didn't matter where he started from, and we would all try to keep our eye on him, but it never worked. At one point we all sat down and just decided to knock him out. It wasn't planned. All of us just threw everything we had at him, even leaving our common borders low on troops to concentrate forces against him. We did take him out but he was so pissed off that he never played with us again.
Fuck that Nazi prick.

:D
Posted via Mobile Device

ReynardMuldrake
07-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Are you local? I would love to take an afternoon play a game of A&A, it's been years. If you have a copy of the original version I would enjoy taking you on as the Axis powers. I would drive to meet you. Seriously, send me a PM.

Hydrae
07-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Loved Stratego! I so much prefer games where luck is minimized as much as possible and this is one of the best that way. We did have a rule that you could not surround your flag with mines. Otherwise, miners became the most important pieces in many ways and that is not right for a 8.

Settlers of Catan and Smallworld are two that I have recently been introduced to. Both were quite fun. Got together with friends to play A&A 1942 a few weeks ago. It was alright but the dependence on die rolls takes away from it for me and can straight up ruin a decent strategy.

Nothing will ever beat chess though, IMO. Was the best in the high school back in the day but am nowhere near that good now, hardly ever have a chance to play and my end game sucks now.

Frazod
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Loved Stratego! I so much prefer games where luck is minimized as much as possible and this is one of the best that way. We did have a rule that you could not surround your flag with mines. Otherwise, miners became the most important pieces in many ways and that is not right for a 8.

Settlers of Catan and Smallworld are two that I have recently been introduced to. Both were quite fun. Got together with friends to play A&A 1942 a few weeks ago. It was alright but the dependence on die rolls takes away from it for me and can straight up ruin a decent strategy.

Nothing will ever beat chess though, IMO. Was the best in the high school back in the day but am nowhere near that good now, hardly ever have a chance to play and my end game sucks now.

I'm a fairly decent chess player, at least as good as you can be without having that super brain math ability to see a dozen moves ahead that the next level people have. Anybody who can do that will beat me every time. I was friends with a guy in high school who was like that - I must have played him 20 or 25 times, and I think the only time I even made a game of it he was toying with me.

Smart bastard. :grr:

4th and Long
07-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Blitzkrieg.

Blitzkrieg is one of Avalon Hill's earliest releases. The game is a fictional representation of the breakout of World War II. Five minor countries become engulfed in a tremendous conflict for territory waged by Great Blue and Big Red, the major countries.

ziggysocki
07-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I like Carcassone and its various expansions... fast playing, fast played, exciting, and still very strategic. drawing tiles adds a luck element, but it doesnt determine the outcome of the game, in most cases. Great for the extremely ADD, AD/HD person like myself....

The Franchise
07-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Heroquest.

Huffmeister
07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I love board games, but unfortunately most of my friends don't. I have family members that like to play, but are mostly busy with family (stupid priorities! :cuss:). I wish there was a gaming store/group/club near me.

Some of my favorites are Settlers of Catan (the Cities and Knights expansion is a blast, too), Carcassone, Descent, and Trans America. I also have others that I've bought but haven't had a chance to play like Agricola and Puerto Rico.

ReynardMuldrake
07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
We should start a local CP boardgame club. I would totally be down for that.

Frazod
07-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I used to play the Magic card game and really enjoyed it - then some fucking punk broke into the storage area in the basement of my apartment building (have I ever mentioned that I hate Chicago?) and stole all my cards. I had a shoebox full of them, worth at least a couple of hundred bucks. Too much money to replace and rather pointless since I'd quit playing, so that pretty much ended my Magic experience.

I hope the cocksucker that stole them is getting assraped in prison right now.

NewChief
07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I love board games, but unfortunately most of my friends don't. I have family members that like to play, but are mostly busy with family (stupid priorities! :cuss:). I wish there was a gaming store/group/club near me.

Some of my favorites are Settlers of Catan (the Cities and Knights expansion is a blast, too), Carcassone, Descent, and Trans America. I also have others that I've bought but haven't had a chance to play like Agricola and Puerto Rico.

I'd like to play Descent. It's, evidently, pretty involved.

NewChief
07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I used to play the Magic card game and really enjoyed it - then some ****ing punk broke into the storage area in the basement of my apartment building (have I ever mentioned that I hate Chicago?) and stole all my cards. I had a shoebox full of them, worth at least a couple of hundred bucks. Too much money to replace and rather pointless since I'd quit playing, so that pretty much ended my Magic experience.

I hope the one who sucks the penis that stole them is getting assraped in prison right now.

I liked it the first few years. Then they got out of hand with the expansion decks and themes and shit, and I gave it up.

One of my family friends (He's actually Peyton Hillis's cousin) was one of the inventors of M:tG and founders of Wizards of the Coast. He sold his share quite a while ago, though. I think he works in game development doing other stuff now.

Frazod
07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I liked it the first few years. Then they got out of hand with the expansion decks and themes and shit, and I gave it up.

One of my family friends (He's actually Peyton Hillis's cousin) was one of the inventors of M:tG and founders of Wizards of the Coast. He sold his share quite a while ago, though. I think he works in game development doing other stuff now.

Yeah, I missed out on all that. My cards got stolen back in the late 90s.

Backwards Masking
07-07-2011, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=NewChief;7735114]I liked it the first few years. Then they got out of hand with the expansion decks and themes and shit, and I gave it up.
QUOTE]

Yep. They made it so you spend hundreds on evey new set to get all the rares you needed to stay competitive in the standard format. That's why I alway stuck to Vintage (Type I) but they just refused to have tournatments for it (for profit reasons obviously).

Can't believe how much the old Vintage cards go for nowdays. I used to have all that stuff, sold it awhile ago. I lost thousands cause I didn't wait...

Frazod
07-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Yep. They made it so you spend hundreds on evey new set to get all the rares you needed to stay competitive in the standard format. That's why I alway stuck to Vintage (Type I) but they just refused to have tournatments for it (for profit reasons obviously).

Can't believe how much the old Vintage cards go for nowdays. I used to have all that stuff, sold it awhile ago. I lost thousands cause I didn't wait...

Don't remind me. Some of those cards I had stolen would be worth a lot of money now.

:cuss:

AirForceChief
07-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Blitzkrieg.

Blitzkrieg is one of Avalon Hill's earliest releases. The game is a fictional representation of the breakout of World War II. Five minor countries become engulfed in a tremendous conflict for territory waged by Great Blue and Big Red, the major countries.

I love me some Avalon Hill!!

Stalingrad (my fave to play as the Nazis b/c it's tough to win)...African Corps (tough w/ logistics being key)...D-Day...I have Blitzkrieg still in the box from when I bought it back in 1981/1982 time frame, haven't even punched out the die-cut military units yet.

Huffmeister
07-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I'd like to play Descent. It's, evidently, pretty involved.
It's pretty fun. Kind of a simplified D&D that focuses on combat, not role playing. I totally geeked out and made plaster castings for the game tiles, doors, rubble, etc that I painted and glued together. Much better than playing with the cardboard pieces.

NewChief
07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
It's pretty fun. Kind of a simplified D&D that focuses on combat, not role playing. I totally geeked out and made plaster castings for the game tiles, doors, rubble, etc that I painted and glued together. Much better than playing with the cardboard pieces.

Yeah. The main thing I know about it is that people really geek out on it and get fanatical. And that it takes a pretty good amount of time to play.

Amnorix
07-07-2011, 04:05 PM
This is kind of weird. Before today, I'd never heard of Settlers of Catan or Dominion. Both sounded interesting enough that I googled them and read about them which is something I haven't done for any other game mentioned in this thread (besides Axis and Allies which I googled to check on balance issues).

Later this afternoon, I was watching a youtube video made by a professional Starcraft player (Sean Plott from Leawood, Kansas) and he was talking about how he got into that game. During his talk, he made an offhand reference to a couple of games he used to play with his "game playing" family. Settlers of Catan and Dominion were the two he mentioned.

Settlers is a great game. It started as a German game, and quickly became popular in the US. There are also several very good variants. I have played a couple that probably aren't even available in the US -- Settlers - Nuremberg and Starenfuhrer (sp?) which is a Settlers in Space game. All are very good, 2-3 hours long, and ideal for 3-5 players, which means it fits in a great space time/people wise.

Dominion is relatively new, but I think becoming very popular because it's a very fast game with many, many combinations, strategies etc.

Amnorix
07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Probably the inferior opponents. I always play against the same people. We randomly assign what country we're in charge of.

I know a few people on here who would be willing to take you on online, most likely. Then we'll see how your 29-1 record or whatever holds up. :D

Amnorix
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM

I loved it as a kid, but it's not the best investment of time. Huge luck factor involved, etc. I rarely lose, but I haven't played it against too many different people.

Amnorix
07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I like Carcassone and its various expansions... fast playing, fast played, exciting, and still very strategic. drawing tiles adds a luck element, but it doesnt determine the outcome of the game, in most cases. Great for the extremely ADD, AD/HD person like myself....

Great game. Very good for kids too. They have fun with the tiles, etc.

Amnorix
07-07-2011, 04:10 PM

:spock:

Then what the hell good is a miner? Now it's "just an 8", which is a pretty crappy piece, without even having the advantage of extra movement like a 9.

A big concept in the game, IMHO, is you must protect your miners because otherwise you might not be ABLE to get to the other guy's flag.

That house rule makes no sense to me. Obviously you CAN leave your flag in the open, but why require it?

ReynardMuldrake
07-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Where do you get your molds? Literally this week I ordered some from Hirst arts and started building.

Amnorix
07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
We should start a local CP boardgame club. I would totally be down for that.

Some games can be played online.

There is a great engine --Vassal -- that allows some games to be played online, including Age of Legends (IIRC) which is avery good game. Diplomacy and A&A can also be played online with very good, free, programs available.

ReynardMuldrake
07-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Some games can be played online.

There is a great engine --Vassal -- that allows some games to be played online, including Age of Legends (IIRC) which is avery good game. Diplomacy and A&A can also be played online with very good, free, programs available.

Yeah, that's fun and all, but half the enjoyment from these beer & pretzel games comes from the social aspect of it. I think other games are better suited to online multiplayer.

Backwards Masking
07-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I liked all of these:

Candyland
Operation
MouseTrap
Monopoly
Shark Attack
Guess Who

Amnorix
07-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah, that's fun and all, but half the enjoyment from these beer & pretzel games comes from the social aspect of it. I think other games are better suited to online multiplayer.

No need to tell me -- gaming is how I socialize with guys -- instead of watching the game or playing poker or whatever, I do board games.

And I agree, it's better to board game in person, but board gaming by computer is better than not gaming at all. It can also be a venue for playing with more players than you can ever realistically get together around a table. I have no idea what age you are, but when I was in college, we could easily get 7 players for all day/night Advanced Civ (before the computer game even came out, heh). Now, it's completely impossible.

You can also play games that take far longer than people have (at my age, anyway).

Coach
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Anyone ever played acquire?

Huffmeister
07-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Where do you get your molds? Literally this week I ordered some from Hirst arts and started building.

I got my mine from Hirst. Here's a link to the project page that he put together for making the Descent board. He gives you ton of info like how many of each mold you need to cast, how to layer the paints, and even the color formula for the paint that you can take to WalMart. I'm not an artistic guy at all, but using his instructions I was able to make some pretty cool looking pieces.

http://www.hirstarts.com/cavern/descent.html

ReynardMuldrake
07-07-2011, 11:49 PM
No need to tell me -- gaming is how I socialize with guys -- instead of watching the game or playing poker or whatever, I do board games.

And I agree, it's better to board game in person, but board gaming by computer is better than not gaming at all. It can also be a venue for playing with more players than you can ever realistically get together around a table. I have no idea what age you are, but when I was in college, we could easily get 7 players for all day/night Advanced Civ (before the computer game even came out, heh). Now, it's completely impossible.

You can also play games that take far longer than people have (at my age, anyway).

I agree with you. I'm 32 and I remember when Sid Meier's Civilization first came out. I never played the board game it was based on but I loved the hell out of the computer version. I'm sure I would love it. But yeah, getting seven players together nowadays is a challenge.

ReynardMuldrake
07-07-2011, 11:52 PM
I got my mine from Hirst. Here's a link to the project page that he put together for making the Descent board. He gives you ton of info like how many of each mold you need to cast, how to layer the paints, and even the color formula for the paint that you can take to WalMart. I'm not an artistic guy at all, but using his instructions I was able to make some pretty cool looking pieces.

http://www.hirstarts.com/cavern/descent.html

Yep, that is the very page posted on Reddit that inspired me to build something. I've read pretty much every page on his site and I follow the forums now. The ones I ordered were 5 fieldstone molds. I might make a game board someday but right now I just want to play around and make a diorama or something. I can post pictures if you're interested in seeing.

Simply Red
07-07-2011, 11:53 PM
clue is pretty dope.

RealSNR
07-08-2011, 12:18 AM
clue is pretty dope.I've already said this but those pewter weapons were the shit. There really was no use for them other than to be thorough and fuck up players by suggesting them in rooms they didn't want to enter.

And then you had the plastic rope. Fuck that. Only pussies killed with rope. That's why for some reason whenever Mrs. Peacock did it she ended up using rope. Can't explain it. Just a weird draw of the cards I guess.