View Full Version : Other Sports any Planeteers going to Omaha?

Friendo
06-10-2008, 09:28 AM
sounds like a blast if for nothing but the shakes & steaks--plus, it'd be great to get a break from this 105 degree sauna:

Print Close The News & Observer
UNC set for third straight trip to CWS
HERE THEY GO AGAIN

For the third straight season, North Carolina is going to the College World Series. And after losing in the championship series for two straight years, the Tar Heels are determined to take care of "unfinished business," senior reliever Rob Wooten said -- beginning Sunday against LSU at 7 p.m.

Eight teams advance to the double-elimination format at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, Neb. The final two teams will play in a best-of-three championship showdown.

WANT TO GO, TOO?

Approximately 700 tickets have been allotted to UNC for each of its games. Cost: $17 for double-elimination rounds, and $26 per game in the championship series. Call (800) 722-4335.

WHAT MAKES IT SPECIAL?

The Tar Heels' top focus is to win games. But they're looking forward to other things that Omaha has to offer, too:

THE STEAK

Omaha is known for its grain-fed beef and overflowing steakhouses. And, of course, the team has a favorite.

"There's a steak place called Drover that has the best steaks you'll ever have in your life," said senior third baseman Chad Flack. One of the specialties: the whiskey steak.

ROSENBLATT STADIUM

The historic 'Blatt seats more than 23,000 fans -- many of whom line up around the stadium before CWS games to buy general admission tickets. But the most nerve-tingling moment for many teams comes when the bus crests the hill on 13th Street and the players first see the field down below.

"Just watching our freshmen -- when we drive up and they see the stadium for the first time -- that will be cool,'' said UNC coach Mike Fox, who played there during UNC's 1978 trip to the College World Series.

ZESTO'S

Fans line up before games and between innings at the ice cream institution, which is across the street from Rosenblatt Stadium.

"My personal favorite [flavor] has to do with peanut butter -- but I don't go there as often as [basketball coach] Roy Williams," said Jones Angell, the baseball play-by-play announcer for the Tar Heel Sports Network.

PLAY WELL OR LEAVE EARLY

Four key players for UNC

FRESHMAN PITCHER MATT HARVEY: UNC's other two starters, Alex White and Adam Warren, have CWS experience. Harvey, meanwhile, has pitched three innings -- with one hit, one run and three strikeouts -- in the NCAA Tournament.

SHORTSTOP RYAN GRAEPEL: The sophomore moved into the starting lineup before the start of NCAA play and has been error-free since.

FIRST BASEMAN DUSTIN ACKLEY: UNC's leadoff hitter has set the offensive tone for his team during the postseason, batting .500 in five NCAA games with an on-base percentage of .538.

SENIOR PITCHER ROB WOOTEN: UNC's deep bullpen has been a strength, and Wooten has been its leader.

STACKING UP THE TEAMS

Seed Team Record ERA
1 Miami 52-9 3.93
2 UNC 51-12 2.83
4 FSU 54-12 4.10
6 Rice 47-13 3.63
7 LSU 48-17-1 4.02
8 Georgia 41-23-1 4.82
— Fresno State 41-29 4.62
— Stanford 39-22-2 4.37

MONDAY’S GAMES

Winners advance to CWS

UC-Irvine 7
7 LSU 21
Fresno State 12
3 Arizona State. 9

UNC’S CWS HISTORY

Year Record
1960 0-2
1966 0-2
1978 2-2
1989 0-2
2006 4-2
Lost to Oregon State in the championship series
2007 4-3
Lost to Oregon State in the championship series

InChiefsHeaven
06-10-2008, 10:46 AM
+1 on the steaks at the Drover...I haven't eaten there in a long time but as I recall...damn good steaks...

Skip Towne
06-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Include me out.

Joie
06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
No mention of the Old Market? WTH?

morphius
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Because the brick road is very disconcerting on a sport bike, every time I went through there I had to fight to keep my bike underneath me. Dreadful. Used to be a fun place to people watch, but that was about a decade ago.

Joie
06-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Because the brick road is very disconcerting on a sport bike, every time I went through there I had to fight to keep my bike underneath me. Dreadful. Used to be a fun place to people watch, but that was about a decade ago.

I haven't been there in about a decade myself, but it was my favorite place in Omaha during high school. Downtown Grounds (gone now) is where my coffee addiction developed. Spaghetti House is good, and so is Old Chicago. I used to love just wondering around and going into the shops.

OmahaChief
06-10-2008, 11:28 AM

The old Market is overrated in my opinion as someoene who lives here. There are some decent places to eat and drink but there is not one shop down there that is worth going into. I would make one exception to that, there is a candy shop that is nice.

The best place to eat downtown is M's Pub without a doubt. The Upstream is a cool place to grab a beer. Vivace is a really nice Italian joint.

As for Zesto's. It has to be the most overrated thing about the CWS. I just have never understood the draw. The shakes are not that good, I think the fact that it is nearly 90 degrees every game makes them taste better since they are cold.

The Blatt and games themselves are great though. Any game is a good game at the CWS. The babes from the visting teams alone can be worth the price of admission at times.

I can also verify the Whiskey Steak at the Drover is outstanding. Had one a couple weeks back and it was great.

Have fun if you come to town. Spend lots of money and don't forget to take some of the fat hogs that live here with you when you leave.

blueballs
06-10-2008, 11:33 AM
on purpose

Friendo
06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Include me out.

that splinter still festering? get some tweezers man!

morphius
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I haven't been there in about a decade myself, but it was my favorite place in Omaha during high school. Downtown Grounds (gone now) is where my coffee addiction developed. Spaghetti House is good, and so is Old Chicago. I used to love just wondering around and going into the shops.
Just as long as you were stuffed into a small fiero, we are all good, lol.

Of course back in those days there was nothing at all for young people to do in Omaha, I think they closed everything that teenagers went to, and banned cruising on Dodge. There was something terribly wrong with the fact that the best dance club in the city was the Max (my best friend was a Lesbian, its my story and I'm sticking to it).

Fish
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Rosenblatt is fun.... haven't been there in a long time... wish I could go...

Joie
06-10-2008, 12:34 PM
The old Market is overrated in my opinion as someoene who lives here. There are some decent places to eat and drink but there is not one shop down there that is worth going into. I would make one exception to that, there is a candy shop that is nice.

The best place to eat downtown is M's Pub without a doubt. The Upstream is a cool place to grab a beer. Vivace is a really nice Italian joint.

As for Zesto's. It has to be the most overrated thing about the CWS. I just have never understood the draw. The shakes are not that good, I think the fact that it is nearly 90 degrees every game makes them taste better since they are cold.

The Blatt and games themselves are great though. Any game is a good game at the CWS. The babes from the visting teams alone can be worth the price of admission at times.

I can also verify the Whiskey Steak at the Drover is outstanding. Had one a couple weeks back and it was great.

Have fun if you come to town. Spend lots of money and don't forget to take some of the fat hogs that live here with you when you leave.

I forgot about Vivace! Best to go during lunch when prices are cheaper, though. I've never been to the CWS, but when I was younger I spent quite a lot of time in Omaha.

Skip Towne
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
that splinter still festering? get some tweezers man!

I'd rather have a root canal than go to Omaha.

InChiefsHeaven
06-10-2008, 12:49 PM

There's lots of good food in the Old Market, Ahmad's, Indian Oven, Butsy LeDeux, even the French Cafe! Vivace used to be a great place, but ever since they joined with M's Pub, they basically serve the same menu. Disappointing. Vivace was the first restaurant my wife and I ate at together, and it used to be better...that was 15 years ago.

I love the Old Market personally, but I don't go down there all the time. Keeps it fresh, doncha know...

InChiefsHeaven
06-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Just as long as you were stuffed into a small fiero, we are all good, lol.

Of course back in those days there was nothing at all for young people to do in Omaha, I think they closed everything that teenagers went to, and banned cruising on Dodge. There was something terribly wrong with the fact that the best dance club in the city was the Max (my best friend was a Lesbian, its my story and I'm sticking to it).

Wow, you remember Dodge street cruising? They shut that down in like '91...good times though...

morphius
06-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Wow, you remember Dodge street cruising? They shut that down in like '91...good times though...
Yeah, I went once right before I moved up there, by the time I had moved up there they had banned it. That's the kind of luck I have, lol.