PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gonzalez embracing Chiefs' new look

Kerberos
06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Sorry if this is a repost I didn't see it in the first couple pages.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3437211

Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez admits there were days when his team's current rebuilding process enraged him. He winced at the lack of signings during the unrestricted free agent period. He held his tongue as management systematically bounced aging veterans out the door. He also knew that starting over with a young team, after 11 years in the NFL, was not something that excited him. The last thing he wanted was to end a Hall of Fame career with little or no shot at another playoff appearance.

But the 32-year-old Gonzalez was a different man when the Chiefs concluded a mini-camp last weekend, one who was undeniably brimming with optimism. He wasn't griping or moping, and he definitely wasn't demanding a trade to a team with championship potential. He'd decided to do what professionals do -- which is worry about the things he actually can control -- and that philosophy has made life much easier for him to handle these days.

There's no question it's a struggle to be standing in Gonzalez's shoes. Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor, a perennial Pro Bowler like Gonzalez, is facing a similar rebuilding process with his franchise, and it's already clear he wants no part of it. "You really do deal with this stuff in two ways," Gonzalez said. "First you get pissed off and you feel frustrated. It's tough because I'm not going getting any younger and I want to win right now. But then I calmed down and started to accept it. It really was the only thing I could do."

Gonzalez hasn't just accepted the Chiefs' new look. He's completely bought into the plan that head coach Herm Edwards and general manager Carl Peterson laid out for a team that likely will be the youngest in the NFL this fall. Gonzalez has been impressed with Kansas City's strong draft class and he's been especially willing to reach out to the younger players. After a morning workout last Friday, he grabbed second-year wide receiver Dwayne Bowe and third-year quarterback Brodie Croyle to work on pass routes before heading into the locker room.

Gonzalez understands how vital it is for him to make such efforts. When he joined the Chiefs in 1997, he looked up to future Hall of Famers such as Marcus Allen and Warren Moon. Now he runs into younger players who openly tell him how much they enjoyed watching him, particularly when they were in junior high school. "Warren Moon told me that I need to make myself available to these guys," Gonzalez said. "The important thing for me is that I have fun with this. If I wanted to complain about all the stuff I didn't like around here, that would be a really easy thing to do. But I'm enjoying myself because I only have so much time left to play this game."

Gonzalez's attitude has plenty to do with the point he's reached in his career. He's played in nine Pro Bowls. He holds NFL career records for receptions and touchdowns by a tight end and he remains just 179 yards shy of Shannon Sharpe's all-time mark for receiving yardage at that position. His wife, October, also just recently gave birth to their daughter, Malia, meaning Gonzalez now has two children (he also has a six-year-old son named Nikko). In other words, he now has a more mature perspective about his life.

That doesn't mean Gonzalez is complacent, though. This is the same man who still awes his younger teammates with the attention he pays to his technique and his route-running. He also remains a dedicated vegan -- he gave up meat more than a year ago -- and the team's chefs now keep items such as whole wheat pasta on hand for him at training table. Nobody else touches those special menu items, but Gonzalez likes knowing he's altering the culture just a little bit.

What Gonzalez tries to impress upon his younger teammates is that a perfectionist attitude and specific lifestyle choices can help players excel in this league. Every time a rookie stops by his locker to ask for advice, Gonzalez offers that kind of wisdom. "I tell them you have to refuse to be average," he said. "We all have to practice and lift weights and run in this league. That's what everybody is expected to do. But the key is what you're doing to get better after practice ends. You can only get away with playing on your natural ability for so long in this league."

It's great advice, but Gonzalez accepts that it might take a while for that to sink in with these players. He also understands that whatever frustration he felt earlier this offseason might pale in comparison to that which he'll face in the regular season. That's why he's already told his younger teammates to not spend much time watching the scoreboard this fall. He'd rather see them learning quickly from their mistakes instead of being deflated by the gap between themselves and more experienced teams.

Gonzalez recognizes the reality of this Chiefs roster: His teammates will have to grow up in a hurry. That's one reason he's embraced the challenge of speeding up their learning curve. But he also knows the best means of helping them along is by showing them how to be professional. Some of that comes from how he plays the game. And even more of it comes, as Gonzalez will attest, from how enthusiastically he approaches the game.

Chiefnj2
06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Cliffnotes version: "I am unwilling to give any of my signing bonus back to the team in hopes of a trade so I'll just shut up and smile."

StcChief
06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
class act, all the way to Canton

StcChief
06-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Cliffnotes version: "I am unwilling to give any of my signing bonus back to the team in hopes of a trade so I'll just shut up and smile."there is that too.... he has a family to think about.

Rooster
06-11-2008, 12:05 PM
After a morning workout last Friday, he grabbed second-year wide receiver Dwayne Bowe and third-year quarterback Brodie Croyle to work on pass routes before heading into the locker room.

I like this part. :thumb:

CosmicPal
06-11-2008, 12:13 PM
"I tell them you have to refuse to be average," he said. "We all have to practice and lift weights and run in this league. That's what everybody is expected to do. But the key is what you're doing to get better after practice ends. You can only get away with playing on your natural ability for so long in this league."

Nice. :clap:

It'd be nice to see him consider extending his career as a coach. Very much doubt it would happen. I see him doing a lot of TV work after football.

Deberg_1990
06-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Nice. :clap:

It'd be nice to see him consider extending his career as a coach. Very much doubt it would happen. I see him doing a lot of TV work after football.

Coach = No

TV = Yes

Superstar players dont become coaches.

DaKCMan AP
06-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Coach = No

TV = Yes

Superstar players dont become coaches.

Mike Singletary? Emmitt Thomas? Jim Harbaugh?

InChiefsHeaven
06-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Cliffnotes version: "I am unwilling to give any of my signing bonus back to the team in hopes of a trade so I'll just shut up and smile."

I'm sure TG has a little more to him than that...

...but he is probably being positive and keeping a good attitude...no sense make shit more miserable than it is...

Deberg_1990
06-11-2008, 12:23 PM

OK, very rarely do they become coaches.

Didnt realize Jim Harbaugh is coaching??? I wouldnt consider him a "Superstar"

Ive said this before, but the best former players who become coaches are usually the Damon Huard types. 2nd tier players.

Jason Garrett is a current example.

DaKCMan AP
06-11-2008, 12:25 PM
OK, very rarely do they become coaches.

Didnt realize Jim Harbaugh is coaching??? I wouldnt consider him a "Superstar"

Ive said this before, but the best former players who become coaches are usually the Damon Huard types. 2nd tier players.

Jason Garrett is a current example.

Not a superstar, but a very well-known player who obtained the 'Captain Comeback' moniker. He's now head coach at Stanford, the 41-point underdogs who upset USC last season. :)

blueballs
06-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Warren Moon was a waste of space on KC's roster
except for San Diego and Tony G a complete bust

DaneMcCloud
06-11-2008, 09:32 PM

Those guys are making more money coaching than they EVER made as players.

Please be realistic about a superstar player in since Free Agency versus non-free agency.

Harbaugh never signed a multi-million dollar contract but he's making that at Stanford.

Chiefaholic
06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm glad to hear Tony's taking the younger players under his wing. Unfortunatly he's already accepting defeat befor the regular season starts. He can see first hand what we don't. Better be prepared to draft #1 overall next year with the cheapest GM in the history of the NFL.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Those guys are making more money coaching than they EVER made as players.

Please be realistic about a superstar player in since Free Agency versus non-free agency.

Harbaugh never signed a multi-million dollar contract but he's making that at Stanford.

WRONG!!!!!!!

From 1996:

A year ago, JIM HARBAUGH was a reluctant backup quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts. Today, he's a millionaire with a four-year contract. Harbaugh had signed a one-year contract for $4.08 million early last month after the Colts designated him as their franchise player. Harbaugh's agent, LEIGH STEINBERG, said the new deal is worth $13 million over four years, including a $4 million signing bonus.

''I want to be a Colt and the Colts showed me they want me to be a Colt,'' Harbaugh said yesterday at the team's training camp. (AP)

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980CE4D9103FF930A3575BC0A960958260

chiefs1111
06-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Warren Moon was a waste of space on KC's roster
except for San Diego and Tony G a complete bust

Wow,I sometimes forget that Warren Moon was even here......

InChiefsHeaven
06-12-2008, 06:30 AM
WRONG!!!!!!!

From 1996:

Boom!

Good research...

Deberg_1990
06-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Wow,I sometimes forget that Warren Moon was even here......

Ronnie Lott was a Chief once as well.

InChiefsHeaven
06-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Ronnie Lott was a Chief once as well.

Yep, I remember that. Never played...

boogblaster
06-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Oh, mentorin' has it's rewards ... sigh .....

beach tribe
06-12-2008, 10:23 AM
You have to admit the guy has class. No matter the money, or howerever you want to look at it.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
bump

Easy 6
06-12-2008, 08:05 PM
If Tony can hang on 1 more year, i think he'll get his shot.

God bless'im.