PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How many of the 12 draft picks will be on the 53 man roster?

Kylo Ren
06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
1.) Glenn Dorsey - Starter

2.) Branden Albert - Starter

3.) Brandon Flowers - Starter

4.) Jamaal Charles - Will be the 2nd or 3rd RB.

5.) Brad Cottam - With Dunn and Wilson gone, Cottam will be the 2nd or 3rd TE.

6.) DaJuan Morgan - Wesley will be gone. So Morgan will make the roster. He'll probably be a ST stalwart and will push for playing time by the end of the year.

7.) Will Franklin - Looking at our crop of WRs, who would make the 5 man WR corps ahead of Franklin? Probably no one. I say he'll be on the game day roster.

8.) Brandon Carr - The more we hear about this guy, the more it looks like he'll be no worse than the 3rd CB.

9.) Barry Richardson - I say he'll make the roster by riding the bench. But there's a small chance, with a good training camp, that he could become the starting RT. But that's doubtful.

10.) Kevin Robinson - I've not heard too much about him as a WR, but I think they've got him penciled in as the KR/PR. So, he'll probably be the 5th WR.

11.) Brian Johnston - I've not heard a lot about him lately. I think he's got about a 75% chance to be apart of the 4 DE rotation.

12.) Michael Merritt - Could make the team as a FB/TE or H-back. But, I don't think he'll beat out Michael Allen for the 3rd TE. So, I'll say he has a 25% chance of making the roster. He'll probably be on the PS.

So, that makes 10, probably 11 of the 12 draft picks who will be on the 53 man roster. Most of them will be starters or serious contributors. If so, that's one heck of a good draft class.

Does anyone disagree? Am I looking through Chiefs colored glasses?

CoMoChief
06-11-2008, 07:14 PM
1.) Glenn Dorsey - Starter

6.) DaJuan Morgan - Wesley will be gone. So Morgan will make the roster. He'll probably be a ST stalwart and will push for playing time by the end of the year.

7.) Will Franklin - Looking at our crop of WRs, who would make the 5 man WR corps ahead of Franklin? Probably no one. I say he'll be on the game day roster.

8.) Brandon Carr - The more we hear about this guy, the more it looks like he'll be no worse than the 3rd CB.

9.) Barry Richardson - I say he'll make the roster by riding the bench. But there's a small chance, with a good training camp, that he could become the starting RT. But that's doubtful.

10.) Kevin Robinson - I've not heard too much about him as a WR, but I think they've got him penciled in as the KR/PR. So, he'll probably be the 5th WR.

11.) Brian Johnston - I've not heard a lot about him lately. I think he's got about a 75% chance to be apart of the 4 DE rotation.

12.) Michael Merritt - Could make the team as a FB/TE or H-back. But, I don't think he'll beat out Michael Allen for the 3rd TE. So, I'll say he has a 25% chance of making the roster. He'll probably be on the PS.

So, that makes 10, probably 11 of the 12 draft picks who will be on the 53 man roster. Most of them will be starters or serious contributors. If so, that's one heck of a good draft class.

11 will make it.

SAUTO
06-11-2008, 07:25 PM
10 or 11 im almost for sure

Hammock Parties
06-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I think they'll all make it. Including Merritt. He can block, Allan can't.

Johnston has been quite impressive, and in fact if you look at our front page there's a photo of him beating Richardson like a drum on his way to Brodie Croyle.

milkman
06-11-2008, 07:46 PM
1.) Glenn Dorsey - Starer

Agreed

I've been reading reports from others at other forums, and some are impressed with his vision, and are surprised with his power running inside, things that I felt were underrated aspects of his game when we drafted him.

I think he has a very good chance of being our #2 RB, pushing Kolby Smith to #3.

Probably the 2nd TE since he seems to be displying some receiving skills to go along with blocking skills.
He'll see the field a lot as the 2nd TE.

I think he will be the starter at SS by mid season.

After Bowe, we have Darling and Webb, and crap, and Webb has to really step up his game, as does darling, though he showed some real promise in the latter stages of last season with Baltimore.

Frankilin will make the roster, and unless one or both Webb and Darling really make strides, will be making a push for getting on the field.

Yep, nobody else to really push him down.

This is what I think.

Once the Chiefs hit TC and start hitting, Damion McIngina will make Alphoso Boone and Turk McBride look like Pro Bowlers, cause McGina will be consistently knocked on his ass, cause he's not a physical downhill blocker.

He has a weak base.

Richardson will push for playing time if he can show he can make strides in pass protect protect.

If not, Herb Taylor will be given a look.

He's surprisingly impressed some with his receiving skills, and people are saying he's shown more as the returner than Sams, so he makes it.

Bye Bobby.

According to other forum reports, Johnston is clearly, right now, the 3rd best DE on the roster, so he'll make it, and be the first DE off the bench in rotation, and possibly starting by mid season depending on how he progresses as a run defender.

I think the question is whether blocking skills or receiving skills are more important in the Chiefs plans.

My guess is blocking skills, so Merritt will make the 53 man roster, with Allen again being placed on the PS.

There's so many holes to fill on this roster that expecting all 12 to make the roster is not looking at it through Chiefs colored glasses.

How many of these guys will be on the roster in a year or two?

Brock
06-11-2008, 07:48 PM
How bad would any of them have to be not to make this team?

Deberg_1990
06-11-2008, 07:55 PM
How bad would any of them have to be not to make this team?

Thats a good point. The cupboard was certainly bare.

kcfan82
06-11-2008, 07:58 PM
We dismantled the team for young talent, most of them had sure as hell better make it.

Farzin
06-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Very good post Guntherfan.

Today at OTA's..I actually have a photo of Johnston getting to the QB..he was able to do that a couple times today.

kcchiefsus
06-11-2008, 08:10 PM
I think the better question is which UDFA's make the team.

milkman
06-11-2008, 08:16 PM

That is a better question.

My best guess is Chris McDuffie and Steve Octavian with Derek Lokey going to the practice squad.

Hammock Parties
06-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Dorsey will hold out all year

Want to bet?

Kylo Ren
06-11-2008, 08:48 PM
I hope the rookie kicker, Conner Barth, makes the team. I think he's got long term potential and I'd rather have a young kicker than a retread.

Buehler445
06-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Co Mo, I think the dude that has the most chance of getting cut is Robinson. Given the way the KR position went last year, I think Sams, even though he can't run, has a decent chance. It pisses me off tremendously, but I could so see it happening.

Also, I would like to see Richardson start. I think Big Mac is at best a backup given his frailty. Maybe I'm overestimating his talent, but I know what MacIntosh can do.

Merritt I think is out. I don't really know why they drafted him. Maybe he'll switch to Guard and stay on as a backup.

Kylo Ren
06-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I think the better question is which UDFA's make the team. As you wish......... I made a seperate thread for UDFA's. Thanks for the idea.

Kylo Ren
06-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Agreed

I've been reading reports from others at other forums, and some are impressed with his vision, and are surprised with his power running inside, things that I felt were underrated aspects of his game when we drafted him.

I think he has a very good chance of being our #2 RB, pushing Kolby Smith to #3.

Probably the 2nd TE since he seems to be displying some receiving skills to go along with blocking skills.
He'll see the field a lot as the 2nd TE.

I think he will be the starter at SS by mid season.

After Bowe, we have Darling and Webb, and crap, and Webb has to really step up his game, as does darling, though he showed some real promise in the latter stages of last season with Baltimore.

Frankilin will make the roster, and unless one or both Webb and Darling really make strides, will be making a push for getting on the field.

Yep, nobody else to really push him down.

This is what I think.

Once the Chiefs hit TC and start hitting, Damion McIngina will make Alphoso Boone and Turk McBride look like Pro Bowlers, cause McGina will be consistently knocked on his ass, cause he's not a physical downhill blocker.

He has a weak base.

Richardson will push for playing time if he can show he can make strides in pass protect protect.

If not, Herb Taylor will be given a look.

He's surprisingly impressed some with his receiving skills, and people are saying he's shown more as the returner than Sams, so he makes it.

Bye Bobby.

According to other forum reports, Johnston is clearly, right now, the 3rd best DE on the roster, so he'll make it, and be the first DE off the bench in rotation, and possibly starting by mid season depending on how he progresses as a run defender.

I think the question is whether blocking skills or receiving skills are more important in the Chiefs plans.

My guess is blocking skills, so Merritt will make the 53 man roster, with Allen again being placed on the PS.

There's so many holes to fill on this roster that expecting all 12 to make the roster is not looking at it through Chiefs colored glasses.

How many of these guys will be on the roster in a year or two?

Good evaluation. I think I agree with all 12 of your comments.

Kylo Ren
06-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Very good post Guntherfan.

Today at OTA's..I actually have a photo of Johnston getting to the QB..he was able to do that a couple times today.
Thanks! I hope Brian Johnston can make us forget about Jared Allen. More realistically, I hope he can just hold down the starting DE spot and allow Boone to move back to DT.

Buehler445
06-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks! I hope Brian Johnston can make us forget about Jared Allen. More realistically, I hope he can just hold down the starting DE spot and allow Boone to move back to DT.

I don't care who we put at DE. I think Boone needs to be in at DT no matter what.

Farzin
06-12-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't care who we put at DE. I think Boone needs to be in at DT no matter what.Yeah-There is just no doubt. There are a lot of people right now who can play on that line. Hali and Dorsey already got a secured spot..but what about these guys?

-Alfonso Boone (or is his spot secured?)
-Turk McBride
-Tank Tyler
-Brian Johnston.

My projected D-line is:

McBride--Boone--Dorsey--Hali.

Kylo Ren
06-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Yeah-There is just no doubt. There are a lot of people right now who can play on that line. Hali and Dorsey already got a secured spot..but what about these guys?

-Alfonso Boone (or is his spot secured?)
-Turk McBride
-Tank Tyler
-Brian Johnston.

My projected D-line is:

McBride--Boone--Dorsey--Hali. Agreed....... with Johnston, Tyler and who backing them up?

Farzin
06-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Agreed....... with Johnston, Tyler and who backing them up?

To be honest, I just don't know..we'll hav to see who Herm picks when he cuts his players to 53.

Kylo Ren
06-12-2008, 09:04 AM
To be honest, I just don't know..we'll hav to see who Herm picks when he cuts his players to 53.

Ron Edwards will probably be the other backup DT, although I've heard good things about TJ Jackson and Derek Lokey.

Looking at the roster, I see that we're really short on DE's. It's no wonder that they are trying Boone at DE. I only see 3 true DE's on the roster that would be worthy of the 53 man roster...... Hali, McBride, Johnston.

Kylo Ren
06-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Is Boone still at 305 lbs? Is there anyother DE in the league playing at 305 lbs? What do the Chiefs see in him that says he can move to DE? Won't he be a liability there? Can he rush the passer? Is he fast enough to stop the outside run?

Micjones
06-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm thinking 10 or 11.

Merritt and Robinson are the only two players that are on the bubble. Merritt because of sheer TE numbers. Robinson because of problems securing the ball and BJ Sams.

RNR
06-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm thinking 10 or 11.

Merritt and Robinson are the only two players that are on the bubble. Merritt because of sheer TE numbers. Robinson because of problems securing the ball and BJ Sams.

That would be pretty amazing, less cost cutting to have 11 of 12 stick would be one hell of a draft. If the mind set is to trim cost than it would be much less impressive.

Micjones
06-12-2008, 10:36 AM
That would be pretty amazing, less cost cutting to have 11 of 12 stick would be one hell of a draft. If the mind set is to trim cost than it would be much less impressive.

I honestly think it says more about the deficiencies of this team than it does how good the draft class is. Don't get me wrong though... I think we have THE best draft class. I just think on a decent team less than half of these guys would make the roster.

Kylo Ren
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I honestly think it says more about the deficiencies of this team than it does how good the draft class is. Don't get me wrong though... I think we have THE best draft class. I just think on a decent team less than half of these guys would make the roster. ............ glass half full. But, realistically, you might be right.

Micjones
06-12-2008, 10:40 AM
............ glass half full. But, realistically, you might be right.

I'm very excited about this bunch of guys.
I hope all of them make the team. Merritt's got a shot...
I just don't see the Chiefs carrying 4 TE's. Unless somehow Allan doesn't make the roster (which is unlikely). If Robinson can start securing the ball on returns he and Sams can split return duties.

Kylo Ren
06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
I just don't see the Chiefs carrying 4 TE's. Unless somehow Allan doesn't make the roster (which is unlikely). If Robinson can start securing the ball on returns he and Sams can split return duties. I don't think we'd have room for both Sams and Robinson on the roster. Also, I've heard that Merritt may become a TE/FB or H-back type of player, instead of carrying a true FB on the roster. That might be his best shot at making the roster. But, Herm seems pretty high on him. So, that's a plus for his chances.

beach tribe
06-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Co Mo, I think the dude that has the most chance of getting cut is Robinson. Given the way the KR position went last year, I think Sams, even though he can't run, has a decent chance. It pisses me off tremendously, but I could so see it happening.

Also, I would like to see Richardson start. I think Big Mac is at best a backup given his frailty. Maybe I'm overestimating his talent, but I know what MacIntosh can do.

Merritt I think is out. I don't really know why they drafted him. Maybe he'll switch to Guard and stay on as a backup.

Robinson IMO will return kicks this year. I think sams will get a chance, but Drummond has probably put a hamper on Sams having the job handed to him.

Buehler445
06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
I just don't see the Chiefs carrying 4 TE's. Unless somehow Allan doesn't make the roster (which is unlikely). If Robinson can start securing the ball on returns he and Sams can split return duties.

I don't want any part of Sams. He hasn't even been cleared for contact. Give Robinson a chance. If not, find another WR (preferrably) that has some potential and bring him in and try to develop him. If not, stick Charles or that kid from OSU back there.

Let some other team take a chance on a guy that could be washed up. I'm tired of it. We've got some access to good athletes, lets try to find some more potential there.

donkey_hater
06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't want any part of Sams. He hasn't even been cleared for contact. Give Robinson a chance. If not, find another WR (preferrably) that has some potential and bring him in and try to develop him. If not, stick Charles or that kid from OSU back there.

Let some other team take a chance on a guy that could be washed up. I'm tired of it. We've got some access to good athletes, lets try to find some more potential there.

I think you are right on with your comments. Why we want Sams is beyond me. Lets develop our own talent such as Savage from OSU, Robinson/Charles develop.

Knowing Carl he probably signed Sams under one condition.....he lives up to his first name once a week amongst a private meeting with KING Carl.

milkman
06-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't care who we put at DE. I think Boone needs to be in at DT no matter what.

Is Boone still at 305 lbs? Is there anyother DE in the league playing at 305 lbs? What do the Chiefs see in him that says he can move to DE? Won't he be a liability there? Can he rush the passer? Is he fast enough to stop the outside run?

What I've read about Boone is that he looks like he's trimmed down to about 290 and is looking pretty athletic and quick, as well as pretty strong.

He looks like a guy that can get to the QB either with added speed because of his weight loss, or with a bull rush, because he's still pretty big and strong (about the same size as Reggie White in his prime).

If true, don't be at all surprised to see him nail down that LDE spot, with Tank as his B/U (who has also looked good at DE in mini camp), with a DT rotation of Dorsey, Edwards, Tank, and TJ Jackson, who also impressed.

Hammock Parties
06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
One thing that worries me about Boone is the bootleg.

milkman
06-12-2008, 07:54 PM
One thing that worries me about Boone is the bootleg.

Defending the bootleg is about discipline and staying at home.

So the question is, is Boone as stupid as Eric Hicks?

Hammock Parties
06-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Defending the bootleg is about discipline and staying at home.

So the question is, is Boone as stupid as Eric Hicks?

That's part of it, but the thought of Boone waddling after a QB as he rolls out doesn't inspire confidence.

Not to mention the QB stealing Boone's jock.

RustShack
06-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Hopefully our quick linebackers will be able to roam free with this line, and stop the bootleg if Boone can't :p

milkman
06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
That's part of it, but the thought of Boone waddling after a QB as he rolls out doesn't inspire confidence.

Not to mention the QB stealing Boone's jock.

Go back and look at the mini camp pics you posted.

Boone really does look a lot more lean and trim.

I don't think he'll be doing any "waddling".

Hammock Parties
06-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Go back and look at the mini camp pics you posted.

Boone really does look a lot more lean and trim.

I don't think he'll be doing any "waddling".

I hope so. I haven't heard any confirmation on his weight.