PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Should I go to work, or go to the US Open?

Buck
06-15-2008, 07:07 PM
So, the question is, do I call out of sick at work tomorrow to go to the playoff round of the US Open?

I think its free.

You decide for me.

Thanks.

kstater
06-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Free? Why even ask?

Phobia
06-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Aren't you a young guy? Is a serious job with a serious career path or just something to make ends meet for now?

Buck
06-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Aren't you a young guy? Is a serious job with a serious career path or just something to make ends meet for now?

I would be ****ed if I lost my job either way.

keg in kc
06-15-2008, 07:16 PM
F*ck work.

Skip Towne
06-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Do you really have to ask?

Buck
06-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Damn, the only problem is that everyone would know why I called in Sick.

I've never called in Sick before.

Except when at this years Titans @ Chargers Wild Card round Playoff game an RV smashed my car and I go the day off to get the insurance part of it taken care of.

KCTitus
06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
go to work, get paid...you know what's going to happen at the open.

You can watch all 27 minutes of highlights on ESPN at 5pm your time and if you're really desperate the next 59 minutes of knobbing after that at 6pm your time.

CoMoChief
06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Watching golf?!?!?!?!

**** man nothing is worse than doing that.

At least go to work and make some money.

KCTitus
06-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Watching golf?!?!?!?!

LOL...a poster who doesnt genuflect at the mention of Tiger Woods?

Is that bannable at CP nowadays?

Buck
06-15-2008, 07:31 PM
I would get paid whether I called out or not...

CoMoChief
06-15-2008, 07:33 PM
I would get paid whether I called out or not...

Well then stay at home and get really baked, at least then whenever a good shot is made, you will be totally Wow'd by it, instead of just saying yeah whatever and then turning the station.

That and food tastes better.

Buck
06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I think I have to go. 2 People are going to be out tomorrow, and I have to pick up their slack. If I call out, the whole place would be ****ed.

KCFalcon59
06-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Call your boss now and ask for the day off to go see Tiger. Ask him/her to come along. Problem solved.

Buck
06-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Call your boss now and ask for the day off to go see Tiger. Ask him/her to come along. Problem solved.

Yeah, that totally wouldn't work.

I've already decided. I'm going in tomorrow. I would be ****ing a lot of people over otherwise.

06-15-2008, 07:47 PM

Let's go!!!:evil:

kcxiv
06-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Watching golf?!?!?!?!

At least go to work and make some money.

I am sure he has paid days off. So he wouldnt be losing money. At least i would hope from him saying he's been there years.

Pablo
06-15-2008, 07:54 PM

I've already decided. I'm going in tomorrow. I would be ****ing a lot of people over otherwise.I'm sure your fellow employees really consider how much they're f*cking you or anyone else over when they call in...

F*ck it man, unless you have a deadline or some important project, don't go.

highBOLTage
06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Have you heard how they're doing tickets? they normally only let you in if you have a ticket from round 4 or in some cases rounds 1-4

ChiefsFanatic
06-15-2008, 08:01 PM
US Open

KCFalcon59
06-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Let's go!!!:evil:

Sounds like a plan. Anyone got any frequent flier miles they can lend me?

Spott
06-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Your work must be really, really boring if you are considering watching golf as your only other option. If your gonna take the day off, do something worthwhile like going to the beach.

Buehler445
06-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I think I have to go. 2 People are going to be out tomorrow, and I have to pick up their slack. If I call out, the whole place would be ****ed.

Work it is.

Bugeater
06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd rather work than watch golf.

Pablo
06-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Skip work. Watch the US Open, and when Tiger starts pulling away, leave and go play a round yourself.

Skip Towne
06-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I'd rather work than watch golf.

Yo don't play do you?

Hammock Parties
06-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Is golf really better live? Cus it sucks on TV.

Skip Towne
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Is golf really better live? Cus it sucks on TV.

You don't play do you?

06-15-2008, 09:36 PM
You don't play do you?

You have to have played the game to truly enjoy watching it on TV.

smittysbar
06-15-2008, 09:42 PM
**** work

Skip Towne
06-15-2008, 09:45 PM
You have to have played the game to truly enjoy watching it on TV.

Yes, you do. Otherwise you have no conception of how hard it is to do what those guys do. Haters are almost always non players.

Hammock Parties
06-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes, you do. Otherwise you have no conception of how hard it is to do what those guys do. Haters are almost always non players.

I realize the skill level involved. It's just boring to watch others do it.

Pablo
06-15-2008, 09:47 PM
You have to have played the game to truly enjoy watching it on TV.This is true. A couple of years ago, you probably couldn't have paid me to watch golf. Now when I get home I turn the TV to the golf channel more than I do ESPN.

06-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I realize the skill level involved. It's just boring to watch others do it.
Have you played a round though?

Pablo
06-15-2008, 09:49 PM
I realize the skill level involved. It's just boring to watch others do it.I understand how you feel. I'm sure hockey and olympic skiing are probably amazingly difficult sports, and very intriguing to hardcore fans/those who ski/play hockey; but they just bore the shit out of me. The same with tennis.

Golf, however, amuses me. I love that show on golf channel where they take a pro and two amateurs and they play a round with them a give them golf pointers. What the hell is that called?

CrazyPhuD
06-15-2008, 10:31 PM

I've already decided. I'm going in tomorrow. I would be ****ing a lot of people over otherwise.

Dude you're not a true american! Being an american is all about ****ing everyone else over and not getting caught. Why do you think we're so good at business!:p

Ecto-I
06-15-2008, 10:45 PM

BOOOOOOOOO!!!! Wrong Answer!

sd4chiefs
06-15-2008, 11:18 PM

You have to have a ticket from the previous 4 rounds to get in. I happen to have two tickets from today. You could not see sh*t because of the other 45 thousand people that were there. I have an extra ticket because my wife will not go with me a second day.

Phobia
06-15-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm sure your fellow employees really consider how much they're f*cking you or anyone else over when they call in...

F*ck it man, unless you have a deadline or some important project, don't go.

Maybe he has some quality character traits, loyalty, or responsibility that you seem to be lacking.

Phobia
06-15-2008, 11:25 PM

Good mature decision. Much respect. Clearly you come from fine Jarhead stock.

Pablo
06-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Maybe he has some quality character traits, loyalty, or responsibility that you seem to be lacking.Can it old man, I don't want to hear your speal about responsibility and such.

Phobia
06-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I don't want to hear young derelicts rationalizing the fleecing of their employer because they think they're more important than everybody else.

Your employer puts food on your table and he works hard to make sure you can take home a paycheck. Self-absorbed, immature idiots who take their employers for granted deserve to be on the street.

Pablo
06-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't want to hear young derelicts rationalizing the fleecing of their employer because they think they're more important than everybody else.

Your employer puts food on your table and he works hard to make sure you can take home a paycheck. Self-absorbed, immature idiots who take their employers for granted deserve to be on the street.My employer offers me about 10 paid personal/sick days in a year. If I don't use those days, I don't get paid for them. I don't know how his employer has things set up, but I'd sure as hell skip out on a day at work as long as I had the days to burn.

Phobia
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
My employer offers me about 10 paid personal/sick days in a year. If I don't use those days, I don't get paid for them. I don't know how his employer has things set up, but I'd sure as hell skip out on a day at work as long as I had the days to burn.

I don't have a problem with that.

I do have a problem with identifying a need that he be there and saying screw them anyway - who cares what happens while you're gone? That's the attitude I despise.

Thanks for turning this into a reasonably intelligent debate. I honestly do appreciate that.

Logical
06-15-2008, 11:41 PM

I've already decided. I'm going in tomorrow. I would be ****ing a lot of people over otherwise.:thumb:

sd4chiefs
06-16-2008, 12:03 AM
You have to have a ticket from the previous 4 rounds to get in. I happen to have two tickets from today. You could not see sh*t because of the other 45 thousand people that were there. I have an extra ticket because my wife will not go with me a second day.

I guess you have to have one of those 4 day pass tickets to get in tomorrow. How many people have a 4 day pass ticket that are still in town that can just blow off work and show up tomorrow? :doh!:

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Go.

Work will always be there.

The US Open Playoff won't.

It's worth a sick/vacation/personal day to witness history in the making.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 12:36 AM

Are you an executive? CEO? CFO? COO?

With all due respect, people over-value themselves everyday. "Eww, the company won't survive without me".

Bull. ****ing. Shit.

Take a goddamn personal day and do something for yourself.

There's not a company in America that can fire you for taking a personal day, regardless of the reason. If they tried, sue 'em back to the Stone Age.

Plus, if you're so "valuable", they wouldn't think of firing you, right?

GO.

Phobia
06-16-2008, 12:40 AM
There are a lot of companies who depend heavily on their employees. I get made to look stupid every day because of undependable employees.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 12:40 AM
I don't have a problem with that.

I do have a problem with identifying a need that he be there and saying screw them anyway - who cares what happens while you're gone? That's the attitude I despise.

Thanks for turning this into a reasonably intelligent debate. I honestly do appreciate that.

I'm sorry to disagree but unless he's running the U.S.A, he's not that valuable. People miss a day of work here and there. For religious, personal, sick and just flat-out "sick of work" type of days. Companies don't disappear because someone calls in sick.

IF the company disappears, it wasn't much of a company, was it?

Phobia
06-16-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm sorry to disagree but unless he's running the U.S.A, he's not that valuable. People miss a day of work here and there. For religious, personal, sick and just flat-out "sick of work" type of days. Companies don't disappear because someone calls in sick.

IF the company disappears, it wasn't much of a company, was it?

Well, my company isn't much of a company but it doesn't mean that my family depends on the income any less. Yes, sometimes I lose money because an employee doesn't show up. Some of my jobs are deadline based and if I miss a deadline I'll pay a fine. That comes out of MY pocket and it hurts and 100% of the time it's not because of something I've done it's because employees are too self-centered to see the big picture.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 12:43 AM
There are a lot of companies who depend heavily on their employees. I get made to look stupid every day because of undependable employees.

Well, no offense, but you're in a "stupid" industry.

You're not stupid.

But, the guys that work for you (and that work for ANY contractor) are generally the bottom-of-the-barrel guys. Stoners, drunks and people with no ambition.

YOU have ambition. YOU have a vision. Finding people that share your vision while receiving a paycheck - that's hard to find.

Trust me, Dude, I fully respect you.

But you work in a business full of scum and villainy.

Phobia
06-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Heh - oh, I well know that. I try to find the people who are turning their lives around - people who don't want to go back to that lifestyle. I treat them well and earn their respect and loyalty. It's hit & miss. I'm far from perfect and I drop the ball sometimes but I try very hard. One day we'll hit the segment of the industry where we don't have to scrape and scratch for every dollar.

TinyEvel
06-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Go to work. Think of all the people out there who need their business cards and letterheads printed.
If you call in sick, then that's one more day that these young entrepeneures will go without their identity. All they'll have to go by is a handshake and steely look into the eye of their client.

DON'T DO IT BUCKIN! THE ENTIRE NATION'S GNP IS IN YOUR HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Heh - oh, I well know that. I try to find the people who are turning their lives around - people who don't want to go back to that lifestyle. I treat them well and earn their respect and loyalty. It's hit & miss. I'm far from perfect and I drop the ball sometimes but I try very hard. One day we'll hit the segment of the industry where we don't have to scrape and scratch for every dollar.

Well you know that from the bottom of my heart, I wish you the best of luck (and I'm not being fecitious).

You're in a tough biz. Hell, we're ALL in a tough biz. But you have to rely on people moreso than most. One of these days, you're going to bring the family to SoCal and I'm going to give you a point-by-point-point tour of my home and a few of my neighbors homes.

I have a feeling you'll be leaving Los Angeles with a VERY good feeling about you and your company's work.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Go to work. Think of all the people out there who need their business cards and letterheads printed.
If you call in sick, then that's one more day that these young entrepeneures will go without their identity. All they'll have to go by is a handshake and steely look into the eye of their client.

DON'T DO IT BUCKIN! THE ENTIRE NATION'S GNP IS IN YOUR HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.F.C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you hittin' the prune juice again?

TinyEvel
06-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Phob, I like you and respect you, bro.

TinyEvel
06-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Dane, love you and all, but...mellow the **** out. Just because you got out of KC and your shit smells like a freshly pressed 45 from Abbey Road, don't get all up on the mountaintop like Zeus and shit.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Dane, love you and all, but...mellow the **** out. Just because you got out of KC and your shit smells like a freshly pressed 45 from Abbey Road, don't get all up on the mountaintop like Zeus and shit.

Playing video games on a 65" 1080i plasma screen doesn't make you Apollo, either.

I challenge you to a duel on Thursday afternoon in Hermosa Beach, just around lunchtime.

Of course when I say "duel", I mean food and when I say "challenge", I mean I'll be there.

Phobia
06-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Phob, I like you and respect you, bro.

Not as much as I love and respect you.

Skip Towne
06-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Go to the Open, Buck. 20 years from now who'll know the difference?

Bowser
06-16-2008, 10:00 AM
This kind of thing happens every year at the US Open, especially when it's in your own backyard. I'd just go to work.

Abba-Dabba
06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
If you have the vacay/PTO to take, who gives a **** what others think of you not coming to work. You've worked for the time off, you deserve to take it.

Don't be like a guy I know, saved up so much PTO, he loses every paycheck by not earning anymore. You think his coworkers or employer gives a shit about that? **** no they don't. Sorry bud, it's a dog eat dog eat world. Take care of yourself and yourself alone. Nobody else will.

Jilly
06-16-2008, 10:08 AM
go to the open...

StcChief
06-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Goto work... job more important than entertainment?

chiefqueen
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
BTW...Tiger has a 2-stroke lead thru 7.

dj56dt58
06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
is it over? It was on espn before I left..now soccer is on?

chiefqueen
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Tiger's down 1 heading to 18

dj56dt58
06-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Tiger's down 1 heading to 18

so they just took off the us open on espn for ****ing soccer?

That's unamerican

Skip Towne
06-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I hope you went to this.

StcChief
06-16-2008, 02:13 PM
NBC carrying it.... 3 holes playoff.

Skip Towne
06-16-2008, 02:35 PM
NBC carrying it.... 3 holes playoff.

Nope. Sudden death. Tiger won it on the 19th hole.

Bowser
06-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Well, will this go down as his greatest victory (to date)?

StcChief
06-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Nope. Sudden death. Tiger won it on the 19th hole.hmmm. I was told a 3 hole playoff. I guess I was mis informed.

Tiger is clutch.

Ecto-I
06-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Tiger's awesome. BuckinKaeding, if you didn't go, then damnit I hope you learned your lesson!

munkey
06-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Tiger's awesome. BuckinKaeding, if you didn't go, then damnit I hope you learned your lesson!

no $hit..

If he was/is a true fan (PGA) he would have requested time off...that's what i don't get.

dj56dt58
06-16-2008, 03:59 PM
I would have simply suggested to set the building on fire where you work...

Buck
06-16-2008, 04:41 PM
So I didn't go.

I'm not upset, I spent most of the day at work watching it live on my computer.

And unlike the rest of you, obviously, I really like all the people at my work. This is the greatest working environment I've ever been in. I sincerely consider everyone who works here a friend.

I guess I'm not as cold-hearted as the rest of you. I would rather say I didn't go, then **** over everyone else.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
So I didn't go.

And unlike the rest of you, obviously, I really like all the people at my work. This is the greatest working environment I've ever been in. I sincerely consider everyone who works here a friend.

I guess I'm not as cold-hearted as the rest of you. I would rather say I didn't go, then **** over everyone else.

You made the right choice. Nice responsible decision.

ChiefsFanatic
06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
So I didn't go.

Sure, rub it in my face that I am unemployed. Nice. :mad:

Phobia
06-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Sure, rub it in my face that I am unemployed. Nice. :mad:

At least you don't dislike any co-workers.

ChiefsFanatic
06-16-2008, 06:41 PM
At least you don't dislike any co-workers.

No, I can't say that I don't like my co-workers, but my wife is really getting on my nerves.

Phobia
06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
No, I can't say that I don't like my co-workers, but my wife is really getting on my nerves.

Construction experience?

06-16-2008, 11:21 PM

I thought that was a job requirement for wives. :D

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 11:38 PM
You made the right choice. Nice responsible decision.

I disagree.

He has the rest of his life to work.

He had only one chance to observe an historic sporting event.

He missed out.

When he's 70 years old, he'll be telling the story of how he should have used a personal day to witness Tiger Woods win the US Open in a playoff matchup.

NOT how he witnessed it, firsthand.

:lame:

06-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Considering it was only ONE day out of the year, and it sounds like he truly does give a shit about his employer, I don't think it would have been bad of him to take one personal day for this event to see it first hand. Now, just staying home to watch it on TV I would say different.

Buck
06-16-2008, 11:42 PM
I disagree.

He missed out.

When he's 70 years old, he'll be telling the story of how he should have used a personal day to witness Tiger Woods win the US Open in a playoff matchup.

I disagree w/ you.

I made the responsible choice. Plus ive seen Tiger live 5+ times.

06-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I disagree w/ you.

Well that changes things then. That was not part of the equation.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I disagree w/ you.

Thanks, Mr. Trump.

When your company unceremoniously dumps you during budget cutbacks, you'll think differently about your actions today.

Buck
06-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks, Mr. Trump.

When your company unceremoniously dumps you during budget cutbacks, you'll think differently about your actions today.

Right Here Buddynlm

I forgot you were the only one w/ job security

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Right Here Buddynlm

I forgot you were the only one w/ job security

If you think that job security entails never taking a personal day or vacation day, then I don't think you understand the term "job security".

06-16-2008, 11:55 PM
If you think that job security entails never taking a personal day or vacation day, then I don't think you understand the term "job security".

I applaud his morals though. Quite a few don't feel that way about their jobs.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2008, 11:58 PM

How is this a "moral" situation?

Unless he's used all of his personal days, it shouldn't be a problem.

At every job I've had in the past 15 years, I've had 2 weeks vacation pay, unlimited sick days and 5 personal days (it went to 3 weeks of vacation after 3 years). For the record, I barely used any sick days during that time. I never get sick.

He should have something similar. And again, people tend to over-value their worth to their company. No offense.

06-17-2008, 12:02 AM

At every job I've had in the past 15 years, I've had 2 weeks vacation pay, unlimited sick days and 5 personal days (it went to 3 weeks of vacation after 3 years). For the record, I barely used any sick days during that time. I never get sick.

He should have something similar. And again, people tend to over-value their worth to their company. No offense.

Moral in that he made the responsible decision rather than the technically selfish decision.

Don't get me wrong, I would support him either way. He obviously has more of a 40's and 50's mentality rather than today's mentality of me, me, me.

I don't mean that as a put down to anyone either. It is just todays society.

Buck
06-17-2008, 12:03 AM

wtf dont you get here? 3 coworkers already had today planned off, had i not come in then 2 people would have had to pull the weight of 6 people. With me being there that weight wasnt so bad.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 12:05 AM
wtf dont you get here? 3 coworkers already had today planned off, had i not come in then 2 people would have had to pull the weight of 6 people. With me being there that weight wasnt so bad.

I guess I miss that part. My bad. I jumped in rather late. And it certainly wasn't in the thread starter.

What is it you do? Government contracts? Would the business you worked for collapse today under the stress of only two people, putting you and your company out of business?

Smed1065
06-17-2008, 12:11 AM
I guess I miss that part. My bad. I jumped in rather late. And it certainly wasn't in the thread starter.

What is it you do? Government contracts? Would the business you worked for collapse today under the stress of only two people, putting you and your company out of business?

Yes, 75% of a workforce missing is not a consideration? Especially on a Monday.

Nice way to use your brain Buck and not me, me, me...

Buck
06-17-2008, 12:15 AM
I work at a printing company, not that its THE most important industry, but when you think about it, every company needs printing (think of all the forms you run across at work everyday) and for a printing company to keep customers they must meet strict deadlines, or else the customers will take their business elsewhere.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-17-2008, 12:22 AM
I disagree.

He missed out.

Hey I can see your side as well, but I guess if he felt that he likes his co-workers and didn't want to overburden them it was more important than said golf tournament.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey I can see your side as well, but I guess if he felt that he likes his co-workers and didn't want to overburden them it was more important than said golf tournament.

If he would have stated in his thread starter that his absence would reduce the workforce by 75%, I might have felt differently. But since that was stated way back on page one, I missed it and based my opinion on the fact that he'd be the only person to miss work.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-17-2008, 12:27 AM
If he would have stated in his thread starter that his absence would reduce the workforce by 75%, I might have felt differently. But since that was stated way back on page one, I missed it and based my opinion on the fact that he'd be the only person to miss work.

Completely understandable:toast:

Buck
06-17-2008, 12:30 AM

At first i didnt even think about that, but within the first few posts i mentioned it

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 12:32 AM
At first i didnt even think about that, but within the first few posts i mentioned it

I think that if you would have edited your thread starter, the responses would have been very different.

Not everyone reads every single post on any given thread and leaving out such important information certainly would skew any reply.

Buck
06-17-2008, 12:33 AM
I think that if you would have edited your thread starter, the responses would have been very different.

Not everyone reads every single post on any given thread and leaving out such important information certainly would skew any reply.

by the time this thread was rehashed the tourney was over.

ChiefsFanatic
06-17-2008, 02:41 AM

If I had a job I would feed it, pet it, and let it sleep on the edge of my bed.

06-17-2008, 02:43 AM
If I had a job I would feed it, pet it, and let it sleep on the edge of my bed.

I draw the line at letting it in my bed. :D

ChiefsFanatic
06-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Construction experience?

Unfortunately, most of my experience is in management. I have a lot of interviews, and been deemed overqualified. Apparently, employers think that when a job is beneath your skill level that you will not be happy, and therefore will move onto another job or position when the opportunity arises. Therefore, they want to hire people that will be challenged by the work.

Or they just hate white people/men.

ChiefsFanatic
06-17-2008, 02:44 AM
I draw the line at letting it in my bed. :D

I did too, but it got mad and ran away.

06-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Unfortunately, most of my experience is in management. I have a lot of interviews, and been deemed overqualified. Apparently, employers think that when a job is beneath your skill level that you will not be happy, and therefore will move onto another job or position when the opportunity arises. Therefore, they want to hire people that will be challenged by the work.

God I hate it when they bring out the overqualified shtick.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 02:47 AM

Move.

If jobs are that limited in your town/community/city and you're truly qualified, move to a different city.

A city that offers opportunity.

ChiefsFanatic
06-17-2008, 02:51 AM
Move.

If jobs are that limited in your town/community/city and you're truly qualified, move to a different city.

A city that offers opportunity.

When I was growing up, my father spent money on booze and women that were not my mother. I had to move every year because we got kicked out for not paying rent.

I told myself that my kids would never go through that. I have a 15 year old son, and a 11 year old daughter, and they have lived in the same place and attended the same school their entire lives.

I just can't move.

Abba-Dabba
06-17-2008, 02:52 AM
So I didn't go.

Oh, in that case, sounds like they desperately needed you. Those 2 who would have had to do the work of 6 people needed your help so much that you were even able to find the time to watch golf on your computer for most of the day. Sounds just like the type of employee a employer wants.

Cold-hearted? Maybe you are and just don't know it.

ChiefsFanatic
06-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Oh, in that case, sounds like they desperately needed you. Those 2 who would have had to do the work of 6 people needed your help so much that you were even able to find the time to watch golf on your computer for most of the day. Sounds just like the type of employee a employer wants.

Snap:eek:

06-17-2008, 02:55 AM
Saggysack attack!!!

Abba-Dabba
06-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Nah, the planet is just getting softer. I'm not.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 02:59 AM

QFT.

How many times have I mentioned in this thread that people over-value their actual worth to their respective employers?

This dumb**** missed out on watching history in favor of watching it all on the internet behind a printing press.

You've made the world safer for solicitors,

Good job! :rolleyes:

06-17-2008, 03:01 AM
QFT.

How many times have I mentioned in this thread that people over-value their actual worth to their respective employers?

This dumb**** missed out on watching history in favor of watching it all on the internet behind a printing press.

Give the kid a break. He was at least thinking of others. Though, watching it while working kind of diminishes things a bit. :)

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 03:09 AM
Give the kid a break. He was at least thinking of others. Though, watching it while working kind of diminishes things a bit. :)

Giving him a break would be fighting my DNA :evil:

06-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Giving him a break would be fighting my DNA :evil:ROFLSomehow, I find that very easy to believe.

Abba-Dabba
06-17-2008, 03:31 AM

Thinking of others? Don't kid yourself. He was thinking how can I watch this without using a day of vacation.

He wouldn't last very long as a employee of mine. I'd see through his BS in a New York minute. Honest employees are the foundation to good employees.

Phobia
06-17-2008, 03:37 AM
QFT.

You've mentioned several times that people overvalue their worth to employers. I submit that you're overvaluing the the value of the game of golf. History? Perhaps to a limited cross-section of America. I play golf. I love the game. I'll even watch golf. I even watched some of the Tiger/Rocky playoff. But I won't give a rip 2 days from now. Neither will 98% of the population.

Phobia
06-17-2008, 03:39 AM
Thinking of others? Don't kid yourself. He was thinking how can I watch this without using a day of vacation.

He wouldn't last very long as a employee of mine. I'd see through his BS in a New York minute. Honest employees are the foundation to good employees.

Heh. His reasons aren't good enough for you because you're one of those bosses who are impossible to please. Whatever his reasons are his choice benefited his employer. Any employer/manager should embrace and applaud that.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 03:41 AM
You've mentioned several times that people overvalue their worth to employers. I submit that you're overvaluing the the value of the game of golf. History? Perhaps to a limited cross-section of America. I play golf. I love the game. I'll even watch golf. I even watched some of the Tiger/Rocky playoff. But I won't give a rip 2 days from now. Neither will 98% of the population.

I'm no golf fan and haven't played in 20 years, despite the request of friends on a regular basis.

I mis-read the thread. Had he stated that 3 of the 6 six employees had already planned their absence today, I would have suggested that he check with his employer before requesting a personal day.

As to the event, I'm all for historic events, regardless of the sport. I tore my MCL last summer, yet found a way to go the Dodgers vs. Giants games in LA just to see if Barry Bonds would break the home run record in my city. Seeing Tiger in my "backyard" and missing such a historic event is akin to passing on Ali-Frazier III or the Mets-Yankees "Subway Series". IMO, some events are just too good to pass up, regardless of the outcome.

As it turned out, this "guy" watched the entire sporting event on his computer at work, while being paid.

Personally, I think this most definitely falls under the category of "over-valuing" one's worth.

Abba-Dabba
06-17-2008, 03:43 AM
Heh. His reasons aren't good enough for you because you're one of those bosses who are impossible to please. Whatever his reasons are his choice benefited his employer. Any employer/manager should embrace and applaud that.

Hardly. The average length of employment in my dept. is well over 10yrs. Does that look like I'm hard to please if they stay for over a decade?

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Hardly. The average length of employment in my dept. is well over 10yrs. Does that look like I'm hard to please if they stay for over a decade?

Maybe you live in a small town and there are no alternatives?

Rausch
06-17-2008, 03:45 AM

Insane low turnover rate.

Do you sell the crack?...

Abba-Dabba
06-17-2008, 03:48 AM
Insane low turnover rate.

Do you sell the crack?...

No.

Abba-Dabba
06-17-2008, 03:51 AM
Maybe you live in a small town and there are no alternatives?

Metro area is over 500K with multiple multi-billion dollar companies.

Koch, Spirit, Boeing, Cessna, Accenture. There are many places for them to go, with better pay I might add.

Phobia
06-17-2008, 03:51 AM

No but based on you hacking up Buck's reasoning it does. Of course, this unique situation is made even more complicated because Buck doesn't actually work for you so it's tough to say exactly what you would have done or how you'd have reacted since he doesn't. If he was one of your guys and he made a decision that benefited the team over himself I'd venture you would be praising it rather than over-analyzing his motives.

Abba-Dabba
06-17-2008, 03:54 AM
No but based on you hacking up Buck's reasoning it does. Of course, this unique situation is made even more complicated because Buck doesn't actually work for you so it's tough to say exactly what you would have done or how you'd have reacted since he doesn't. If he was one of your guys and he made a decision that benefited the team over himself I'd venture you would be praising it rather than over-analyzing his motives.

Whatever makes you feel better.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 03:55 AM

The flipside of this is that if Buck was one of your guys and was glued to a TV or radio while working for you, he might as well have taken the day off because there's a 99% chance that his work would have been shit.

Phobia
06-17-2008, 03:56 AM
I'm no golf fan and haven't played in 20 years, despite the request of friends on a regular basis.

I mis-read the thread. Had he stated that 3 of the 6 six employees had already planned their absence today, I would have suggested that he check with his employer before requesting a personal day.

As to the event, I'm all for historic events, regardless of the sport. I tore my MCL last summer, yet found a way to go the Dodgers vs. Giants games in LA just to see if Barry Bonds would break the home run record in my city. Seeing Tiger in my "backyard" and missing such a historic event is akin to passing on Ali-Frazier III or the Mets-Yankees "Subway Series". IMO, some events are just too good to pass up, regardless of the outcome.

As it turned out, this "guy" watched the entire sporting event on his computer at work, while being paid.

Personally, I think this most definitely falls under the category of "over-valuing" one's worth.

I'm probably a little wacky but I don't get too worked up about "historic" sporting events. They're not really historic to anybody but sports channels and the staunchest of sports fans anyway. Our culture significantly overvalues professional sports because professional sports has done an incredible job of marketing this century.

Ask the average person about the historic value of Tiger vs. Rocky and you'll get a "meh".

06-17-2008, 03:58 AM
I'm probably a little wacky but I don't get too worked up about "historic" sporting events. They're not really historic to anybody but sports channels and the staunchest of sports fans anyway. Our culture significantly overvalues professional sports because professional sports has done an incredible job of marketing this century.

Ask the average person about the historic value of Tiger vs. Rocky and you'll get a "meh".

IT's Rocco damnit!!!!:)

Phobia
06-17-2008, 04:00 AM
IT's Rocco damnit!!!!:)

It's 5:00 AM and I'm awake writing. Leave me alone.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 04:01 AM

Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it.

But I can most certainly tell you that I'll never forget my Dad taking me the World Series in 1980 (Royals vs. Phillies) or to the WS in 1985 or to Vegas to see De La Hoya or to the "Contender" Finale or watching Tommy Morrison knock out Pinklon Thomas at Kemper.

I've been to hundreds of baseball games, football games, boxing matches and other sporting events but the "special" events are the ones that I'll always remember.

And I'll most certainly remember telling Barry Bonds his "fly" was open at the top of the 7th inning in front of 55,000 fans at Dodgers stadium in July, 2007 during his home run quest.

Phobia
06-17-2008, 04:03 AM
The flipside of this is that if Buck was one of your guys and was glued to a TV or radio while working for you, he might as well have taken the day off because there's a 99% chance that his work would have been shit.

For a golf event? There's 140 shots to watch over 6 hours. I'd hazard that anybody could have watched the event in its entirety in a 10 minute Youtube clip.

Obviously it's gonna affect productivity slightly but his boss obviously condones it if he's able to get away with it for an entire day. I watched 2 holes at lunch today but left to get crap done.

Phobia
06-17-2008, 04:04 AM

But I can most certainly tell you that I'll never forget my Dad taking me the World Series in 1980 (Royals vs. Phillies) or to the WS in 1985 or to Vegas to see De La Hoya or to the "Contender" Finale or watching Tommy Morrison knock out Pinklon Thomas at Kemper.

I've been to hundreds of baseball games, football games, boxing matches and other sporting events but the "special" events are the ones that I'll always remember.

And I'll most certainly remember telling Barry Bonds his "fly" was open at the top of the 7th inning in front of 55,000 fans at Dodgers stadium in July, 2007 during his home run quest.

Well, you've had the added bonus of actually attending "historic" sporting events. The events I've attended are merely historic for the Colts.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 04:05 AM
For a golf event? There's 140 shots to watch over 6 hours. I'd hazard that anybody could have watched the event in its entirety in a 10 minute Youtube clip.

Obviously it's gonna affect productivity slightly but his boss obviously condones it if he's able to get away with it for an entire day. I watched 2 holes at lunch today but left to get crap done.

Yeah but he admitted to watching it all day while at work.

IMO, he might as well have gone to the event because at that point, he's worthless to me.

Phobia
06-17-2008, 04:06 AM
Whatever makes you feel better.

It doesn't make me feel better pointing you out to be a more reasonable person than for which you give yourself credit. I don't care. It should make you feel better.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 04:06 AM
Well, you've had the added bonus of actually attending "historic" sporting events. The events I've attended are merely historic for the Colts.

So you were in the 10 degree weather in 1995?

Or in 2003?

Or both?

Phobia
06-17-2008, 04:07 AM
Yeah but he admitted to watching it all day while at work.

IMO, he might as well have gone to the event because at that point, he's worthless to me.

It's golf. Unless you're wrapped up in the commentary, it's easy to watch golf and get plenty of things done - especially when it's a playoff of two guys.

Phobia
06-17-2008, 04:09 AM
So you were in the 10 degree weather in 1995?

Or in 2003?

Or both?

Honestly - neither. The "Colts" seemed like an appropriately punchy punch-line so I took it.

DaneMcCloud
It's golf. Unless you're wrapped up in the commentary, it's easy to watch golf and get plenty of things done - especially when it's a playoff of two guys.

Well, you got me there.

I've never watched golf on TV, so I couldn't say how much attention it requires.

All I know is that it's usually best when an employee focuses on the task at hand and doesn't have his mind in two places at once.

Rausch

I think the most historic event for me was when I was privilaged enough to not only drop trou' in about 3" of backed up $#it and pi$$ in the garbage Arrowhead squatters but also managed to pour beer all down myself trying to hurry up and GTFO of there...

DaneMcCloud
Honestly - neither. The "Colts" seemed like an appropriately punchy punch-line so I took it.

Bastard!

:evil:

Phobia
06-17-2008, 04:12 AM
Well, you got me there.

I've never watched golf on TV, so I couldn't say how much attention it requires.

All I know is that it's usually best when an employee focuses on the task at hand and doesn't have his mind in two places at once.

Depends on the industry. I'm looking at it from the perspective of my last mainstream job which was as a network guy in IT. Most of the things that required my presence were "just in case firefighter" and "hurry up and wait" processes where I'd enter a command and wait for the process to complete.

I'd venture working in a printing environment is very similar to that.

Would I want my surgeon watching the match between cuts? No. A printing apprentice? Sure.

06-17-2008, 04:15 AM

I have the Stoyanovich field goal against Denver. Unfortunatly, I also have the memory of Elway throwing the TD over the line of scrimmage AND the Monday Night Meltdown. Oh, and Montana rallying the troops to come from down 17 against the Chargers on a Thursday night.

Rausch
06-17-2008, 04:17 AM
I have the Stoyanovich field goal against Denver.

You have the phantom holding call on Gonzo then as well...:cuss:

06-17-2008, 04:23 AM
You have the phantom holding call on Gonzo then as well...:cuss:
Guess I have removed that one from my memory thanks to the kick.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Would I want my surgeon watching the match between cuts? No. A printing apprentice? Sure.

Just gotta watch those fingers. :D

Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. If I'm personally paying someone to work for me, I'd appreciate it if their full attention were on the task at hand. My brother works in IT so I'm fully aware of the attention needed (or not needed) but I'd classify that as an anomaly.

FTR, I wouldn't want a doctor, lawyer, mechanic, accountant, veterinarian, architect or any other highly skilled employee splitting his or her time between a sporting event and their job, especially if my fortunes were at stake.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 04:25 AM
I have the Stoyanovich field goal against Denver. Unfortunatly, I also have the memory of Elway throwing the TD over the line of scrimmage AND the Monday Night Meltdown. Oh, and Montana rallying the troops to come from down 17 against the Chargers on a Thursday night.

So YOU'RE the ONE! :cuss::cuss:

:D

06-17-2008, 04:26 AM
I also have George Brett's 3001st hit (easily could have been his 3000th if not for Billy Martin) and George's final game too.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 04:28 AM
I also have George Brett's 3001st hit (easily could have been his 3000th if not for Billy Martin) and George's final game too.

Gotcha beat.

I used to live across the street from Splittorff (and two doors down from Patek) and I used to play wiffle-ball with all the old Royals: Cookie, Jamie Quirk and yes, George Brett.

:D :D :D

Rausch
06-17-2008, 04:31 AM
FTR, I wouldn't want a doctor, lawyer, mechanic, accountant, veterinarian, architect or any other highly skilled employee splitting his or her time between a sporting event and their job, especially if my fortunes were at stake.

Well then, what's yer' line of business?...

Gotcha beat.

I used to live across the street from Splittorff (and two doors down from Patek) and I used to play wiffle-ball with all the old Royals: Cookie, Jamie Quirk and yes, George Brett.

BASTARD:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Phobia
Just gotta watch those fingers. :D

Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. If I'm personally paying someone to work for me, I'd appreciate it if their full attention were on the task at hand. My brother works in IT so I'm fully aware of the attention needed (or not needed) but I'd classify that as an anomaly.

I wouldn't want any of MY guys watching golf but if I were managing a team of IT gurus I wouldn't have a problem with it. I guess I try to logically inject myself into every realistic situation and I really think watching the Open could be done in a printing shop.

06-17-2008, 04:32 AM
Do we need to get a referee?

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 04:32 AM
Well then, what's yer' line of business?...

Making sure that I'm focused on the task at hand :evil:

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 04:35 AM
I wouldn't want any of MY guys watching golf but if I were managing a team of IT gurus I wouldn't have a problem with it. I guess I try to logically inject myself into every realistic situation and I really think watching the Open could be done in a printing shop.

I gotcha.

The only reason for my involvement in this thread was to urge someone to do something "special", since it was a given. Don't just "go to work" and regret missing out.

It wasn't about normal business or just listening to or catching parts of a normal sporting event while working. That's just as harmless as listening to music on the radio.

The gist of my point was to do some extraordinary - something you'd remember for a lifetime. Not something you'd regret missing.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 04:36 AM
Do we need to get a referee?

Depends.

Who's paying him off?

Rausch
06-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Making sure that I'm focused on the task at hand :evil:

Hey, I'm not asking for your phone number and yer' daughter's waistline here, just what you do for a living.

Rausch
06-17-2008, 04:42 AM

You needing any inattentive sportsfans to build decks for ya'?...

ChiefsFanatic
06-17-2008, 04:43 AM
Gotcha beat.

I gotcha beat. JSplit and Heather.

Phobia
06-17-2008, 04:43 AM
I gotcha.

The only reason for my involvement in this thread was to urge someone to do something "special", since it was a given. Don't just "go to work" and regret missing out.

It wasn't about normal business or just listening to or catching parts of a normal sporting event while working. That's just as harmless as listening to music on the radio.

The gist of my point was to do some extraordinary - something you'd remember for a lifetime. Not something you'd regret missing.

I get what you're saying. I actually agree. I just disagree that THIS event was extraordinary. It's golf. I'll bet the people who were there saw roughly 8 shots apiece with any clarity and the rest of the day they were staring at the backs of people's heads. Honestly, I'd have rather spend a week at the mall in late December than share a golf course with 50k rabid golf fans. No. Thank. You.

Rausch
06-17-2008, 04:44 AM
I get what you're saying. I actually agree. I just disagree that THIS event was extraordinary. It's golf.

Argument over...

06-17-2008, 05:09 AM
Depends.

Who's paying him off?

Nick Athan

Skip Towne
06-17-2008, 06:09 AM
I got to attend the 1958 Open when I was 13 years old. Now I'm 63 and I'm still telling people about it. Nothing great happened. Tommy Bolt won. It is certainly something you remember the rest of your life.

Pablo
06-17-2008, 07:59 AM

That's a lie, we all know you couldn't possibly have friends.

Buck
06-17-2008, 12:17 PM

Im glad I dont work for a dick like you.

I spent my 30 minute lunch break watching it, and I popped my head in maybe 10 times in the bosses office, for a minute or less to get an update from him.

I'm sure if you were my boss and you were watching it, you would scold me if I were to check in every once in a while, cause thats the kind of guy you are.

I hope you are proud, that you can see through me, over 2000 miles away. You sir, are a great man.

EDIT: Not to Mention that I don't get paid Overtime, and I stayed 10 hours yesterday, and made sure that I finished all my work before I went home. Have fun twisting this fact around to make yourself sound better.

StcChief
06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
would have been a great playoff to see.....but the TV at work had lot's of folks checking in.

bogey
06-17-2008, 12:58 PM
It was a great tournament. All 5 days.

DaneMcCloud
06-17-2008, 01:46 PM
That's a lie, we all know you couldn't possibly have friends.

QFT