PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Grilling questions.......

Kylo Ren
06-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I've been doing more grilling lately. I enjoy it, but don't have much experience. For years, all I've done is burgers, dogs, brats, steaks, chicken and such. But, lately, I've been trying to do more things, like mushrooms, peppers, pineaple and other things.

Sorry if these are stupid or simplistic questions for some of you master grillers........ But, I'm really enjoying learning new cooking methods and new foods, even if they are simple. As I learn, I'll start cooking more complex foods and using more complex methods.

How should I grill red potatoes? Do I boil them first, then finish them on the grill? Or, do I just skewer them raw and grill them without any pre-cooking?

How should I grill corn on the cob? I was just going to wrap each cob in foil with some butter. Then, as I grill, I'll keep turning them, which will baste them in the butter. I know there are better methods, but that is where I was going to start.

For now, as I'm learning techniques, I'm grilling with gas. I know that charcoal is better. But, I'm not buying a new grill right now. When I progress to another grilling level, I'll buy a charcoal grill and maybe a smoker. But, I don't know that I'll ever be a smoker, because I am not that patient. I can't spend hours cooking. Grilling is probably all that I'll enjoy doing.

Anyway, please give me some pointers, tips, techniques and recepies.

Thanks!!

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2008, 08:12 PM
A grill can be a sort of one-pot meal. You can cook just about anything on a grill. You can do mains, sides, desserts... just about everything.

For potatoes, wrap them in foil with some onions and butter with seasoning (like salt, pepper, garlic). Make sure when you're wrapping that you get a good seal so juice doesn't flow out when you flip it. Also good if you add carrots.

Corn on the cob - Don't wrap corn on the cob. It comes with it's own wrapper. Peel the husk away from the corn, but do NOT take the husk off. Take out all the silk, then put the husk back around the corn. Soak in water for about 30 minutes. Grill until the husks look burned. Should be good to go.

I'll try to chime in a little later.

Happy grilling!

the Talking Can
06-15-2008, 08:21 PM
corn is great on the grill...

just soak in water for awhile then grill for about 20 minutes, turn several times....the silk will come off easy afterwards....

Phobia
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
But, I don't know that I'll ever be a smoker, because I am not that patient. I can't spend hours cooking. Grilling is probably all that I'll enjoy doing.

I used to say that very same thing and then I got a smoker 3 years ago.

Phobia
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
But, I don't know that I'll ever be a smoker, because I am not that patient. I can't spend hours cooking. Grilling is probably all that I'll enjoy doing.

I used to say that very same thing and then I got a smoker 3 or 4 years ago.

Buehler445
06-15-2008, 08:30 PM
I've found that if you slice a red onion pretty thick and throw it on the grill with some burgers, it is pretty fantastic. Some say baste with melted butter, but that along with the grease is a little too much for me IMO.

The potatoes, onion, butter and tin foil is a good way to go. Just throw whatever veggies you have in there with them. It will be good.

I am a pretty huge fan of pork tenderloin on the grill. Throw on some season salt and grill it low, and it is a damn good entree.

The Barbecue Bible (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761149430/bookstorenow15-20) is a good book to read if you are looking for some good recipes. There is definitely some crazy shit in there, but also some really good stuff along with tips for n00bs like us:)

AustinChief
06-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I used to say that very same thing and then I got a smoker 3 or 4 years ago.

I used to say that very same thing and then I got a smoker 3 years ago.

WOW! You liked it so much you got two of them!

:)

Hoover
06-15-2008, 09:34 PM
For the potatoes I throw them in a foil bag with some butter seasoning, onions and some garlic and a couple Ice cubes to keep some moisture in there while cooking. I also cook veggies this way. Yum

As for corn soak it in water and throw it on. If you want a butter trick get a mason jar and fill it half way with hot water, then add a stick of butter. The butter will melt ans stay on top of the water allowing you to perfectly coat your ear of corn with butter. You hold on tho the husks.

Pablo
06-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, when I make potatoes, I usually get the Yukon Gold kind, slice them into rounds and then throw them in a bag with Old Bay, steak seasoning, black pepper and garlic salt. Then chop up a sweet onion and throw it in the bag with the rest of the stuff, and shake. Throw it in an aluminum foil bag with 3 pats of butter and enjoy in about 30-40 minutes.

I made candied sweet potatoes on the grill a few weeks ago. Just cut up a couple yams, threw in a good deal of brown sugar, some cinnamon, butter and those were pretty damn good.

Kylo Ren
06-15-2008, 09:48 PM
A grill can be a sort of one-pot meal. You can cook just about anything on a grill. You can do mains, sides, desserts... just about everything.

For potatoes, wrap them in foil with some onions and butter with seasoning (like salt, pepper, garlic). Make sure when you're wrapping that you get a good seal so juice doesn't flow out when you flip it. Also good if you add carrots.

Corn on the cob - Don't wrap corn on the cob. It comes with it's own wrapper. Peel the husk away from the corn, but do NOT take the husk off. Take out all the silk, then put the husk back around the corn. Soak in water for about 30 minutes. Grill until the husks look burned. Should be good to go.

I'll try to chime in a little later.

Happy grilling! How do you know the potatoes are done without opening the foil? How long do you cook them? On high, medium or low heat? Thanks!

Phobia
06-15-2008, 10:13 PM
How do you know the potatoes are done without opening the foil? How long do you cook them? On high, medium or low heat? Thanks!

You squeeze them. You cook them until they're done. You cook them at whatever temp you're using for the other stuff. How long depends on their size and your temp, obviously.

ClevelandBronco
06-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey, rag on the Chiefs all you want, I guess. Until a mod shows up, you'll have your day in the sun.

BUT DON'T **** WITH THE BARBECUE AND GRILLING THREADS.

stlchiefs
06-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Phil Kloster

I ****ed your wife.

Time to pull an IP

the Talking Can
06-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Phil Kloster

I ****ed your wife.

so, is this kotter, tom cash, or gochiefs?

Hammock Parties
06-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Corn grillin' :

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/7910/cimg2811uy0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

so, is this kotter, - ahem, shut your mouth -, or gochiefs?

It's Bronco LB 52. Back for the 100th time.

stlchiefs
06-15-2008, 10:22 PM
What's on the bottom rack?

Hammock Parties
06-15-2008, 10:24 PM
What's on the bottom rack?

Zucchini and sweet taters I think.

Kylo Ren
06-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Anyone grill bananas?

stlchiefs
06-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Zucchini and sweet taters I think.

Almost looked like a plantain. I've never seen veggies cut and grilled like that. I'm assuming you could do the same with squash?

cdcox
06-15-2008, 10:32 PM
I feel like I've stumbled upon a vegan board. I'm going to go eat some veal raised on pesticides and steroids just to feel right again.

stlchiefs
06-15-2008, 10:35 PM
I feel like I've stumbled upon a vegan board. I'm going to go eat some veal raised on pesticides and steroids just to feel right again.

It's Clayton's fault.

Hammock Parties
06-15-2008, 10:41 PM
It's Clayton's fault.

Heh. In truth, I'm eating very little meat these days. I get most of my protein from shakes.

stlchiefs
06-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Heh. In truth, I'm eating very little meat these days. I get most of my protein from shakes.

So many directions to go with this. I'm feeling nice after the Bronco POS has been around. So, Congrats Clayton. Your body thanks you for eating healthier, watching your weight and working out. Keep up the good work.

Phobia
06-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Almost looked like a plantain. I've never seen veggies cut and grilled like that. I'm assuming you could do the same with squash?
It's not plantain. It's clearly sweet potato. I've seen them overcooked like that many times.

Yes, you can do the same with squash.

tooge
06-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I would say to try and grill anything. Fish is great on the grill. Use whole fish. Score the sides 3 or 4 times and rub down with olive oil. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Grill on each side about 5 minutes. It will blow you away. Try grilling more forgiving meats first, like chicken and pork. Also, add a few wood chips wrapped in foil with holes poked in it to your coals or briquets for some nice smoked flavor without having to smoke all day. The BBQ Bible will pretty much tell you whatever you need to know. The basic rule to follow however is to hold your hand about 5 inches over the grate and it should be hot enough that you cant hold it there for more than 4 or 5 seconds. That is perfect temp for grilling.

Kylo Ren
06-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll try a few of these.

Extra Point
06-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Keeping the coals in the middle, placing 4-5 corn ears straight out of the fridge along the inner edge of the kettle on the coal grate, works. There's enough moisture in the husk, silk, and ear to fend off being burnt. Usually 15-20 mins is fine. No turning required, just keep the lid on, and the keep coals from directly contacting the corn ears. You can usually cook brats in equal time: sear them, then use indirect heat. The juices from the brats get on to the husks, some of the husks may burn, but so what? There's enough insulation that keeps the ear from burning. Good eats!

Kylo Ren
06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
OK. To make you haappy, here are a couple of meat questions.

1. When cooking bratwurst, a friend of mine boils them first. Why? Do you recommend this?

2. I know that some people simmer their brats in beer. Do I simmer them in beer and onions before I grill them or grill them then simmer in beer?

Kylo Ren
06-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I might have to get a copy of this Grilling Bible that some of you have spoken of. However, in my experience, whenever I look at grilling cookbooks, they are usually featuring really complex recepies. It's stuff that I could never cook, wouldn't want to cook and/or wouldn't want to eat. I want something that teaches you the basics.

R&GHomer
06-16-2008, 09:58 AM

:spock: Ummm, roomer has it. Nah, just ****in with ya.

Jilly
06-16-2008, 10:05 AM
oh man I'm freaking hungry!

My favorite thing (but I don't do it much because hubby hates these kinds of veggies) is marinating zucchini, mushrooms and onions in some olive oil, garlic, and a hint of italian dressing for about 30 minutes, then putting them in a grilling basket. I usually put them on the top shelf of the grill and grill for about 10 minutes a side....yummmmy

Also, asparagus is awesome grilled...just drizzle olive oil over the top and some pepper and its good to go...also yummmmy

but I'm pregnant and tend to eat anything at this point

Bowser
06-16-2008, 10:09 AM

My favorite thing (but I don't do it much because hubby hates these kinds of veggies) is marinating zucchini, mushrooms and onions in some olive oil, garlic, and a hint of italian dressing for about 30 minutes, then putting them in a grilling basket. I usually put them on the top shelf of the grill and grill for about 10 minutes a side....yummmmy

Also, asparagus is awesome grilled...just drizzle olive oil over the top and some pepper and its good to go...also yummmmy

I have to admit that looks and sounds gross, but tastes damned good. Goes REALLY good with some butter injected pork chops, grilled up right under them.

How are you feeling, preggers?

Pablo
06-16-2008, 10:12 AM

but I'm pregnant and tend to eat anything at this pointI think that sounds pretty good myself. But I'll eat just about anything, and vegetables are fine by me.

I'm a fan of cucumbers and onions myself, set up in some sugar water and vinegar with pepper...delicious.

Jilly
06-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I have to admit that looks and sounds gross, but tastes damned good. Goes REALLY good with some butter injected pork chops, grilled up right under them.

How are you feeling, preggers?

It does? Hmmm...but it is really darn good and it does go well with pork chops, also something the hubby doesn't like. But it goes well with steak too.

PS I'm awesome, thanks for asking! Feeling like a beached whale half the time, but I've been reassured that it's rather cute...so I'll take it...but baby is great too.

Bowser
06-16-2008, 10:14 AM
It does? Hmmm...but it is really darn good and it does go well with pork chops, also something the hubby doesn't like. But it goes well with steak too.

PS I'm awesome, thanks for asking! Feeling like a beached whale half the time, but I've been reassured that it's rather cute...so I'll take it...but baby is great too.

Excellent. When is the due date?

Jilly
06-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I think that sounds pretty good myself. But I'll eat just about anything, and vegetables are fine by me.

I'm a fan of cucumbers and onions myself, set up in some sugar water and vinegar with pepper...delicious.

I used to HATE cucumbers, but I tried that concoction a month or so ago and couldn't get enough of it...seriously delicious.

Jilly
06-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Excellent. When is the due date?

September 20...so I have a few months of swollen ankles to deal with and I've been begging some relatives to buy me a pool...I was hoping the pregnancy thing would earn me some sympathy!

cdcox
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
OK. To make you haappy, here are a couple of meat questions.

1. When cooking bratwurst, a friend of mine boils them first. Why? Do you recommend this?

2. I know that some people simmer their brats in beer. Do I simmer them in beer and onions before I grill them or grill them then simmer in beer?

Yes, I boil my brats in beer and onions before finishing them on the grill.

Why?

1. They taste good that way.
2. Brats are a ground meat that needs to be cooked until well done to be safe. At the same time, they are fatty, which can cause flare ups, making a hot fire. If placed on the grill raw, they are likely to become charred on the outside and a little dry by the time they are cooked done in the middle. Boiling them with beer and onions imparts a great flavor in additon to cooking them through. Handle them carefully with tongs and they come of the grill plump and juicy.

Baby Lee
06-16-2008, 11:32 AM

I do zuccini and yellow squash 2-3 times a week in the summer.
Make a foil boat [fold each side over 1/2" 2-3x, then fold back to make little 1/2 walls], lay the slices in the boat, brush on a LITTLE oil, season, and grill until almost blackened.

I alternate seasons with;

S&P
Cajun
Greek
Parmesan and Italian

Buehler445
06-16-2008, 11:48 AM

Congrats!! I didn't know. Hopefully all is well with the baby!

Buehler445
06-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Yes, I boil my brats in beer and onions before finishing them on the grill.

So you just dump a couple of cans of beer in a pot and boil the bratwursts? How long?

manchambo
06-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I got one of those grilling baskets for potatoes. Looks kind of like a wok with holes in it. Chop up some red or yukon gold, coat em with olive oil, and add seasoning of your choice (I ususally do cajun). Takes about a half hour to get em golden brown, stirring occassionally.

One of my favorit non-traditional grilling items is peaches. cut em in half, take out the pit and coat them with a butter/sugar mixture heated in a suace pan. Then you grill them on both sides until they get some medium grill marks. Then put it in a bowl with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy.

Jilly
06-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I got one of those grilling baskets for potatoes. Looks kind of like a wok with holes in it. Chop up some red or yukon gold, coat em with olive oil, and add seasoning of your choice (I ususally do cajun). Takes about a half hour to get em golden brown, stirring occassionally.

One of my favorit non-traditional grilling items is peaches. cut em in half, take out the pit and coat them with a butter/sugar mixture heated in a suace pan. Then you grill them on both sides until they get some medium grill marks. Then put it in a bowl with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy.

oh man that sounds delicious

cdcox
06-16-2008, 04:05 PM
So you just dump a couple of cans of beer in a pot and boil the bratwursts? How long?

I start my charcoal in the chimney, slice a yellow onion, add it to my pot with two cans of beer - enough to cover the brats (cheap is fine), bring to a boil then simmer until my fire is ready. By then, the brats are ready for the fire (or about 15-20 minutes if you are using a gas grill).

The onions are good on the brat.

SNAFU
06-16-2008, 04:34 PM
If your a fan of salmon, here is a easy and decent marinade recipe:
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup veg oil
Marinade for 1-1/2 pounds of salmon.
Mix together. Coat the salmon with garlic and onion powder and some black pepper or you can use your favorite seasoning. Then, pour the marinade over salmon and let rest for 30-45 minutes. I also squeezed lemon on them after I poured the marinade.
Grill 6-8 minutes per side on medium heat and enjoy (I keep the skin on and place flesh side down first to get a nice grill char). If your not a fan of soy sauce, don't worry. You don't taste it. My wife wouldn't eat it if you could. I made this yesterday and they were awesome.

RJ
06-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I might have to get a copy of this Grilling Bible that some of you have spoken of. However, in my experience, whenever I look at grilling cookbooks, they are usually featuring really complex recepies. It's stuff that I could never cook, wouldn't want to cook and/or wouldn't want to eat. I want something that teaches you the basics.

The Barbecue Bible is a great book because it deals with more than just recipes. It explains in detail the best ways to start your fire, arrange your coals, how hot your fire should be for different recipes, etc. Also, there are recipes for sauces, marinades and rubs to compliment all the various meats. I just sent my son a copy for his 30th birthday, to me it is a great tool for the outdoor cook.

Another one I own that has plenty of simple recipes is this one from Weber.

http://www.amazon.com/Webers-Book-Grilling-Jamie-Purviance/dp/0811831973/ref=sip_rech_dp_4

Grilling is primarily a matter of learning to control heat and how much heat you want for different foods. The recipes don't need to be too ornate simply because the cooking method itself provides so much flavor.

Buehler445
06-16-2008, 05:15 PM
The Barbecue Bible is a great book because it deals with more than just recipes. It explains in detail the best ways to start your fire, arrange your coals, how hot your fire should be for different recipes, etc. Also, there are recipes for sauces, marinades and rubs to compliment all the various meats. I just sent my son a copy for his 30th birthday, to me it is a great tool for the outdoor cook.

Another one I own that has plenty of simple recipes is this one from Weber.

http://www.amazon.com/Webers-Book-Grilling-Jamie-Purviance/dp/0811831973/ref=sip_rech_dp_4

Grilling is primarily a matter of learning to control heat and how much heat you want for different foods. The recipes don't need to be too ornate simply because the cooking method itself provides so much flavor.

RJ is right. The book has a lot of crazy complex crap in it, but there is also a nice balance of easy. And it always starts out with tips to cook each type of food (how to butterfly, types of marinades, etc.)

MTG#10
06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
The Barbecue Bible (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761149430/bookstorenow15-20) is a good book to read if you are looking for some good recipes. There is definitely some crazy shit in there, but also some really good stuff along with tips for n00bs like us:)

I didnt care for The Barbecue Bible at all. Most of the recipes are way to elaborate and time consuming. Half the spices needed for the recipes that sounded good to me I never even heard of. I dont have the time nor the patience to put that much effort into bbq.

This book (http://www.amazon.com/How-Grill-Complete-Illustrated-Techniques/dp/0761120149/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2)on the other hand is perfect for the average weekend chef.

Phobia
06-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I just sent my son a copy for his 30th birthday, to me it is a great tool for the outdoor cook.

I had forgotten how ancient you are.... Heh.

RJ
06-16-2008, 06:22 PM
I didnt care for The Barbecue Bible at all. Most of the recipes are way to elaborate and time consuming. Half the spices needed for the recipes that sounded good to me I never even heard of. I dont have the time nor the patience to put that much effort into bbq.

This book (http://www.amazon.com/How-Grill-Complete-Illustrated-Techniques/dp/0761120149/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2)on the other hand is perfect for the average weekend chef.

Holy shit, that's the one I meant! I own both and use them all the time but How to Grill is certainly the simpler book for the backyard griller. I wonder which book I sent to my son? Dammit!

RJ
06-16-2008, 06:24 PM
I had forgotten how ancient you are.... Heh.

Yep. My oldest turned 30 last week and my daughter turned 5 last month. Hopefully she'll keep me young :)

RJ
06-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Relief, I sent my son the right one.

Both are excellent books but as MTG#10 points out, "How to Grill" does offer simpler recipes with lots of photos and great instruction. Better for the newbie griller or one who simply doesn't want to invest too much time in the process.

Buehler445
06-16-2008, 06:54 PM

I'm have to look into that.