PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports ***Official CONCACAF World Cup Qualifier Thread**

penguinz
06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
USA starts off looking good with a 8-0 win over Barbados.

My question is what is up with Donovan? He has looked like a much better player the last two games than he ever did under Arena.

Friendo
06-16-2008, 09:08 AM

My question is what is up with Donovan? He has looked like a much better player the last two games than he ever did under Arena.

you pegged it--Bradley--I noticed it too, but the whole team is looking sharper, and I don't even think we've seen the best from Adu yet.

Spicy McHaggis
06-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm glad the US started off on the right foot. I would say both Donovan and Beasley have both looked improved over the last few games. Landon is playing smart and with confidence and Beasley seems to be shaking the "I'm fast so I should try to take everyone on" idea and using his speed rather to spread the opposing defense and open them up.

penguinz
06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm glad the US started off on the right foot. I would say both Donovan and Beasley have both looked improved over the last few games. Landon is playing smart and with confidence and Beasley seems to be shaking the "I'm fast so I should try to take everyone on" idea and using his speed rather to spread the opposing defense and open them up.Beasly is coming back from an injury so that may be helping him get over the fact he is fast.

As far as Donovan it is really good to see him actually try and take on a defender. In the past it seemed as though he was always in the mode that he had to lay the ball off to someone else.

Silock
06-16-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't think it's Bradley. Is it a coincidence that Donovan is also leading MLS in goals? I don't think so.

penguinz
06-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think it's Bradley. Is it a coincidence that Donovan is also leading MLS in goals? I don't think so.Someone had to get him to start attacking a defense. Whether it was Bradley or Gullit I don't know. It is just nice to see him attacking.

Baby Lee
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM

It's a shame that, after the amazing Czech/Turkey game, the subpar opposition, and pedestrian nature of the goals [I mean that free kick goal of Donovans, while impressive in it's accuracy and in his heads up decision to go quick was like watching a career backup against Vermiels career day efense], I couldn't get more pumped about their showing. They took care of business, on to the next opponent.

Friendo
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
It's a shame that, after the amazing Czech/Turkey game, the subpar opposition, and pedestrian nature of the goals [I mean that free kick goal of Donovans, while impressive in it's accuracy and in his heads up decision to go quick was like watching a career backup against Vermiels career day efense], I couldn't get more pumped about their showing. They took care of business, on to the next opponent.

and he didn't give it a second thought--did you see the keepers reaction on replay, lol?

penguinz
06-16-2008, 11:37 AM
on to the next opponent.The next opponent is Barbados again. ;)

Spicy McHaggis
06-16-2008, 12:16 PM
The next opponent is Barbados again. ;)

Think they'll let me suit up?

POND_OF_RED
06-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Imagine what a good team could have done to Barbados.

Silock
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Imagine what a good team could have done to Barbados.

A good team beat them 8-0.

BTW, back to Donovan: $10 says it was Ruud. Donovan has played under Bradley before this year, and he didn't really start playing up to the potential of his game until this year.

It's a damn shame he's too pussy to go play in Europe.

Friendo
06-16-2008, 01:00 PM
A good team beat them 8-0.

BTW, back to Donovan: $10 says it was Ruud. Donovan has played under Bradley before this year, and he didn't really start playing up to the potential of his game until this year.

It's a damn shame he's too pussy to go play in Europe.

could it be that Beck's has had an influence?

Silock
06-16-2008, 01:33 PM
could it be that Beck's has had an influence?

Maybe, but I think it's more Ruud than Beckham.

Even Edson Buddle is playing well, and is now in 2nd place behind his teammate Donovan in goals scored.

Friendo
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Maybe, but I think it's more Ruud than Beckham.

Even Edson Buddle is playing well, and is now in 2nd place behind his teammate Donovan in goals scored.

I followed Dax McCarty (Dallas FC) some in his brief time at UNC--any chance he finds a place on the WC team in the future?

SPATCH
06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
I followed Dax McCarty (Dallas FC) some in his brief time at UNC--any chance he finds a place on the WC team in the future?

not in 2010... but i think he's already been capped on the senior team so he's definitely getting a look, though.

he played pretty well with the U20's last summer.. he's got a good chance in 2014 if he progresses

SPATCH
06-16-2008, 02:29 PM
i knew next to nothing about the barbados squad before the game (except that they were ranked like 121 in the world)

but when i saw their uniforms and, holy shit, the frightened looks on their faces during their national anthem, i was like "this is going to be a bloodbath". then the goal in the 1st minute... i just felt bad.

i was impressed at how well they played though; because they didn't play down to the competition at all. thoroughly impressed with that.

give bob bradley credit for that

penguinz
06-16-2008, 03:10 PM
i knew next to nothing about the barbados squad before the game (except that they were ranked like 121 in the world)

but when i saw their uniforms and, holy shit, the frightened looks on their faces during their national anthem, i was like "this is going to be a bloodbath". then the goal in the 1st minute... i just felt bad.

i was impressed at how well they played though; because they didn't play down to the competition at all. thoroughly impressed with that.

give bob bradley credit for thatBarbados barely has a team. Not much more than two years ago their national team website was begging for people to come try out for the team.

Silock
06-16-2008, 03:36 PM

Yeah, like spatula said, not for 2010. I think he has a shot at 2014, though. He was a solid presence in the WC last year for the youngins.

SPATCH
06-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Barbados barely has a team. Not much more than two years ago their national team website was begging for people to come try out for the team.

yeah.. that's what i'm saying..

it would have been really easy for the US to play down to their level. it takes good leadership to keep from doing that, because its really easy to do

penguinz
06-22-2008, 08:15 PM
1-0 win today

Silock
06-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Speaking of playing down to the opponent's level. Yuck.

penguinz
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Speaking of playing down to the opponent's level. Yuck.With the product that was put on the field we were lucky to win the game.

Baby Lee
06-23-2008, 12:42 PM
With the product that was put on the field we were lucky to win the game.

JV squad, or Varsity just looking shitty?

Silock
06-23-2008, 01:41 PM
JV squad, or Varsity just looking shitty?

JV squad, for the most part.

The reality is that we just looked uninterested. We knew we were going to win on aggregate anyway. We looked and played like a team that just didn't give a shit playing against a team that was trying to avoid being humiliated on their own turf.

I wouldn't read too much into it.