PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Derrick Johnson moved to weakside?

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 01:56 PM
I hadn't heard this reported anywhere this offseason, but according to this interview he's flip-flopping sides this year. Huh!

http://entercomkc.com/kcsp/podcasts/NW/derrick_johnson_raw.mp3

If true, it certainly makes me look pretty smart. I wrote this in March!

http://kan.scout.com/2/741568.html

It seems that DJ may have already arrived, if not in the mind of Pro Bowl voters. But where does he go from here? How about a few steps to his right?

Despite the fact he is listed as KC's starting strongside linebacker, a good chunk of Johnson’s big-time plays last season came when he lined up on the opposite side of the field. Both of DJ’s interceptions (at San Diego and against Denver) came from the right side of the defensive formation. At least half of his tackles for loss came from weakside penetration.

Why not move Johnson over permanently? The weakside is where he became famous at the University of Texas. Donnie Edwards (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3037544) would be more than comfortable covering tight ends on the strongside, and the pass-rush benefits of lining Johnson up behind defensive end Jared Allen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980078) are obvious.

Flip-flop the outside linebackers, and Johnson might just gain that elusive Pro Bowl berth in 2008, not to mention a fat new contract. How’s that for something to look forward to?

beach tribe
06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
It's about fuqing time. He is a weakside backer after all

Kylo Ren
06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
You're brilliant.

Micjones
06-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Excellent idea.

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 02:01 PM
You're brilliant.

I ALSO thought moving Hali to RDE was the right move, 12 days before it was officially announced. I am ****ing nostradamus over here!

http://kan.scout.com/2/747332.html

Brock
06-18-2008, 02:01 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gunther was getting coaching pointers from the internet.

Adept Havelock
06-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I am ****ing nostradamus over here!

:hmmm:

How can you be a virgin and a necrophiliac?

FAX
06-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Mr. GoChiefs aka Edgar KC.

FAX

Hydrae
06-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I thought in Gun's defense there was no strong-side weak-side definitions. :shrug:

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 02:13 PM

FAX

MY HEAD IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE! HELP!

HemiEd
06-18-2008, 02:14 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gunther was getting coaching pointers from the internet.

There is some hope, in the fact that he is getting pointers.

CoMoChief
06-18-2008, 02:15 PM
It is about friggin time. This should have been done a long time ago. But our LB's were so shitty back then we didn't have a choice but to put him strongside.

I just hope Gun doesn't fiddle around with DJ like he did with DT.

Apparantly Gun wants to run a 3-4 really bad but Herm doesn't and won't let him.

This is coming from Gunther Cunningham Jr, Gun's son who by the way is a loser and doesn't do anything with his life. Just lives off his dad.

stlchiefs
06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
It is about friggin time. This should have been done a long time ago. But our LB's were so shitty back then we didn't have a choice but to put him strongside.

I just hope Gun doesn't fiddle around with DJ like he did with DT.

Apparantly Gun wants to run a 3-4 really bad but Herm doesn't and won't let him.

This is coming from Gunther Cunningham Jr, Gun's son who by the way is a loser and doesn't do anything with his life. Just lives off his dad.

Do you know Junior? Any other inside info?

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 02:22 PM

Wow. Very interesting.

Oh wait. Gunther's son is named Adam. BUSTED.

Easy 6
06-18-2008, 02:28 PM

FAX

:clap:...GoChiefs, the Sleeping Prophet.

BigRock
06-18-2008, 02:29 PM
I find this to be a positive development.

milkman
06-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Can you summarize what teh podcast says, and who is saying it?

And did anyone notice this development in the open practices last week?

kcxiv
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I thought in Gun's defense there was no strong-side weak-side definitions. :shrug:

I think thats only with the safety. As they do the same exact thing.

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Can you summarize what teh podcast says, and who is saying it?

It came from Derrick Johnson's mouth.

StcChief
06-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Seems natural... put him where he has excelled.
right side Dorsey Hali
DJ

eazyb81
06-18-2008, 02:42 PM
It's mind-boggling that it took only us only three years to figure this out.

beach tribe
06-18-2008, 02:43 PM

For real.

HemiEd
06-18-2008, 02:50 PM

This is rather alarming. They are not only going to draft the best players, they are going to play them at their strongest position! Amazing, Herm is pretty sharp after all.

milkman
06-18-2008, 03:00 PM
So does this mean that Donnie and Demorrio are going ot be rotating at Sam?

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 03:03 PM

Uh, good question.

I don't know how accurate this report is. I'll get Nick to check on it. He talks with Gunther quite a bit.

CupidStunt
06-18-2008, 03:06 PM

I'm not sure. Generally your SLB needs to be a little thicker, more apt to take on blocks, while the will has all the speed. If DJ starts at will, I'd have to guess Williams backs him up, with Nap in the middle (ouch) and Edwards on the strong side (ouch).

Quite honestly DJ at sam with one of Edwards/Williams at will makes more sense. DJ can excel anywhere; I see nothing but struggle for whoever else starts at sam.

KCrockaholic
06-18-2008, 03:07 PM
This is rather alarming. They are not only going to draft the best players, they are going to play them at their strongest position! Amazing, Herm is pretty sharp after all.

i think herm is an excellent scout, and motivator. but when it comes to x's and o's he flat out blows. thats where his flaw is.

milkman
06-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Uh, good question.

I don't know how accurate this report is. I'll get Nick to check on it. He talks with Gunther quite a bit.

So if it came from DJ, how can it be inaccurate?

milkman
06-18-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure. Generally your SLB needs to be a little thicker, more apt to take on blocks, while the will has all the speed. If DJ starts at will, I'd have to guess Williams backs him up, with Nap in the middle (ouch) and Edwards on the strong side (ouch).

Quite honestly DJ at sam with one of Edwards/Williams at will makes more sense. DJ can excel anywhere; I see nothing but struggle for whoever else starts at sam.

While I am not a fan of Donnie, he did fare pretty decent at Sam, especially in coverage.

My problem with him is his tackling, which can best be described as rodeo tackling.

Mount 'em and ride 'em.

But that's a problem regardless of where he lines up.

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 04:43 PM
So if it came from DJ, how can it be inaccurate?

Considering this is the first anyone has heard of it all offseason, I just have my doubts. I'd rather hear it from a coach.

jjchieffan
06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
the pass-rush benefits of lining Johnson up behind defensive end Jared Allen are obvious..

Looks like this guy could use an update. Hello....Allen is a Viking. I don't thinl lining him up behind Allen will help us.

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 04:55 PM
the pass-rush benefits of lining Johnson up behind defensive end Jared Allen are obvious..

Looks like this guy could use an update. Hello....Allen is a Viking. I don't thinl lining him up behind Allen will help us.

<table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">Posted Mar 28, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

*cough*

little jacob
06-18-2008, 05:22 PM
so what are they going to do at mike then?

milkman
06-18-2008, 05:23 PM

Bernard Pollard.

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 05:26 PM

This Donnie Edwards to the middle thing is complete speculation by Teicher.

Right now Nap Harris is still competing for the job. Gretz made a reference to some scrub having a shot, too.

Rausch
06-18-2008, 05:30 PM
This Donnie Edwards to the middle thing is complete speculation by Teicher.

Right now Nap Harris is still competing for the job. Gretz made a reference to some scrub having a shot, too.

If DE were 5 years younger I'd be all for it, but he's not exactly a physical player to begin with. He'd be great in the passing game but he'd become some HB's belt in the running game...

beach tribe
06-18-2008, 05:34 PM
While I am not a fan of Donnie, he did fare pretty decent at Sam, especially in coverage.

My problem with him is his tackling, which can best be described as rodeo tackling.

Mount 'em and ride 'em.

But that's a problem regardless of where he lines up.

I love donnie, but we lost his best years to the Chargers, and he just realistically can't remain the starter for much longer.

This team should be looking for a sam LB soon, and a Mike for that matter.

Where willliams fits in I don't know, but DJ should be our will from this point on.

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 05:36 PM
I guess what I don't understand is if they were moving DJ to the weakside, why sign Williams? He's tiny, and not really suited to play SLB.

Micjones
06-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I guess what I don't understand is if they were moving DJ to the weakside, why sign Williams? He's tiny, and not really suited to play SLB.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

I suppose the best answer is that Edwards is the Sam and Harris stays in the middle.

Hammock Parties
06-18-2008, 05:40 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking.

I suppose the best answer is that Edwards is the Sam and Harris stays in the middle.

Yeah but I'm thinking about the future, not the present. They clearly signed Willims to be a starter down the road, right? Is he just a depth signing?

beach tribe
06-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah but I'm thinking about the future, not the present. They clearly signed Willims to be a starter down the road, right? Is he just a depth signing?

I'd like them to focus on the LB core next off season.

Williams will be a good nickle LB.

aturnis
06-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I dunno....you guys keep saying DeMorrio Williams is too small, but in this very podcast the interviewer asked DJ about Turk saying Williams was an enormous guy, which is it?

Also DJ made it a point to say that he could be starting week 1 b/c of his learning ability, he said they can [B]trust[B] him on the field...

This leads me to believe DJ (Will) Eddie (MLB) Williams (Sam). Am I hearing this wrong?

bsp4444
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Bernard Pollard.

I made this same suggestion a couple weeks ago, trying to drum up some discussion, I think it was sumarily dismissed. I think he'd make a good linebacker, I just couldn't say strong, weak or middle.

Hammock Parties
06-19-2008, 06:35 PM
This leads me to believe DJ (Will) Eddie (MLB) Williams (Sam). Am I hearing this wrong?

Who is Eddie?

I don't think you're "hearing" anything wrong, but there's been no mention of Williams at sam. Donnie would be the logical flop.

Mecca
06-19-2008, 07:07 PM
DJ is part of the starting LB core when the team is good so he should be playing weakside regardless. We need 2 LB's but atleast let the 1 we have play his spot.

I suspect Williams and Pollard will eventually be the situational backup OLB's which is fine since they're both damn good special teams players.

cdcox
06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah, when we drafted him, I thought strong side was the last place he'd end up. I never understood why you'd put him there. Sure he can do it, but why do you tie up your playmaker LB covering a TE?

Hammock Parties
06-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, when we drafted him, I thought strong side was the last place he'd end up. I never understood why you'd put him there. Sure he can do it, but why do you tie up your playmaker LB covering a TE?

Well, at the time it was a better idea than letting Kendrell Bell cover a tight end.

In hindsight they should never have signed Bell, let DJ stay weakside and gone after some lunchpail type to play strongside.

milkman
06-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I made this same suggestion a couple weeks ago, trying to drum up some discussion, I think it was sumarily dismissed. I think he'd make a good linebacker, I just couldn't say strong, weak or middle.

Actually, I was joking.

aturnis
06-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Who is Eddie?

I don't think you're "hearing" anything wrong, but there's been no mention of Williams at sam. Donnie would be the logical flop.

Sorry, Edwards, I was in a hurry before running out the door.

Basically DJ weak, Edwards middle, and Williams strong. He played there for awhile in Atlanta.

I was just hearing guys say he was too small to play the strong side.

TRR
06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry, Edwards, I was in a hurry before running out the door.

Basically DJ weak, Edwards middle, and Williams strong. He played there for awhile in Atlanta.

I was just hearing guys say he was too small to play the strong side.

Demorrio Williams is 10-15 pounds heavier than Donnie Edwards is depending on which site you look at. I have also head that Williams is a workout warrior, and pretty strong for his stature. Williams is, however, pretty short measuring around 6'0 -6'1.

I don't see any reason why Williams couldn't play the strong side.

Hammock Parties
06-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Demorrio Williams is 10-15 pounds heavier than Donnie Edwards is depending on which site you look at. I have also head that Williams is a workout warrior, and pretty strong for his stature. Williams is, however, pretty short measuring around 6'0 -6'1.

I don't see any reason why Williams couldn't play the strong side.

They have him at 6-1, 232 on KcChiefs.com

Deberg_1990
06-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Gun is a true genious.

IM glad it only took him 4 years to figure this out instead of 8.

Hammock Parties
06-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Here is what DJ does off the weakside!

http://i26.tinypic.com/r19y8g.gif

milkman
06-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Gun is a true genious.

IM glad it only took him 4 years to figure this out instead of 8.

He probably came up with the idea after reading it on the internet.

Smed1065
06-19-2008, 09:47 PM
He probably came up with the idea after reading it on the internet.

I figured he quit using the internet after his last stint.

And Herm not wanting to use the internet...

:eek:

Hammock Parties
06-19-2008, 09:50 PM

And Herm not wanting to use the internet...

:eek:

Gunther reads WPI. :D

Smed1065
06-19-2008, 09:53 PM

Well that proves it then................

I'll get my popcorn for the rest of the post in this thread.

milkman
06-19-2008, 09:54 PM

Are you suggesting that Cunther learns from his past mistakes?

That's just crazy talk.

Smed1065
06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Are you suggesting that **nther learns from his past mistakes?

That's just crazy talk.

ROFL

stlchiefs
06-19-2008, 10:11 PM

Everyone needs something to wipe their azz with. :thumb:

mcan
06-19-2008, 10:52 PM

This may have changed, but when Dick Vermeil was here they made a pretty big deal out of having a "left/right" designation instead of "strong/weak." So, I believe you're right about this.

Chiefnj2
06-20-2008, 07:45 AM
People equate "playmaking LB" with sacks. It's just as important having DJ line up against someone like Gates and shutting them down the entire game, even if you don't make Sportscenter highlights.

beach tribe
06-20-2008, 08:08 AM
People equate "playmaking LB" with sacks. It's just as important having DJ line up against someone like Gates and shutting them down the entire game, even if you don't make Sportscenter highlights.

True, but yo put your players in position to do what they do BEST. DJ is a playmaiking weakside backer.

King_Chief_Fan
06-20-2008, 10:41 AM

that is where he goes for shits and grins

he goes elsewhere for accurate and informative information

milkman
06-21-2008, 06:56 AM

That's not true.

Derrick Brooks was a playmaker for the Bucs, and he played the strong side and didn't get a lot of sacks.

I think that Cunther saw DJ as that same type of player, but he doesn't have the same skillset as Brooks.

DJ's rep as a playmaker was made on the weakside at Texas, and unless I am misremembering, he didn't get a lot of sacks there.

Hammock Parties
06-21-2008, 06:58 AM
That's not true.

Derrick Brooks was a playmaker for the Bucs, and he played the strong side and didn't get a lot of sacks.

Brooks was actually a WLB.

You're right about one thing though - DJ only had 10 sacks in college. He's exceeded expectations in that department as a pro I'd say.

I think last year we got a glimpse of what DJ did in college. He would routinely pile up tackles for loss at Texas. In fact, 15 percent of his tackles in college went for a loss.

Last year he led the league in that stat and spent some time playing WLB.