PDA

View Full Version : Life Camping food

runnercyclist
06-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Going camping this weekend and wondering what you guys usually cook. Taking some tbones for Saturday night.

Need ideas for lunches Sat and Sun and dinner Sat on the pontoon (no grills allowed) and Sun at camp.

bogey
06-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Smores. please God make smores.

runnercyclist
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
It's on her list

bogey
06-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Who's going on this camping trip?

BigVE
06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
We generally just take sammich stuff on the pontoon, something simple. We keep it all simple at the lake though, no T-bones. Burgers, brats, hotdogs, smores for sure, MAYBE some chicken. Our treat is usually the campfire breakfast/brunch...slab bacon fried first and then using the goold 'ol bacon grease to help cook pancakes and eggs. We don't eat like that normally so it's a nice unhealthy treat. lol

Nzoner
06-19-2008, 07:05 PM
For camp on Sunday I'd go with what we call hobo dinners

In a big piece of foil put a large hamburger pattie,some sliced potatos,carrots,onions,mushrooms and season with whatever you like(I use garlic salt or Italian Dressing) wrap it all up in the foil and stick in the hot coals of your campfire and let cook for an hour or so.Damn tasty.

runnercyclist
06-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Who's going on this camping trip?

War Department
two kids 9, 11
Buddy
His kid 12
Friends from work 2 families about 10 folks

Packing a case of Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale to drink and looking for cool camp recipies for dinners

runnercyclist
06-19-2008, 07:07 PM

In a big piece of foil put a large hamburger pattie,some sliced potatos,carrots,onions,mushrooms and season with whatever you like(I use garlic salt or Italian Dressing) wrap it all up in the foil and stick in the hot coals of your campfire and let cook for an hour or so.Damn tasty.

Sounds interesting

BigVE
06-19-2008, 07:11 PM

That's funny, your the first person that I have heard of that calls them that too. Can't beat 'em ANYTIME, let alone camping. Guess whats on the menu for this weekend!

cdcox
06-19-2008, 07:15 PM

Yep. You can wrap them up and home and throw 'em in the cooler. Pull 'em out, throw 'em on the fire, eat. Easy clean up.

runnercyclist
06-19-2008, 07:15 PM
That's funny, your the first person that I have heard of that calls them that too. Can't beat 'em ANYTIME, let alone camping. Guess whats on the menu for this weekend!

Does one eat that with a fork or try and get it on a bun?

BigVE
06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Fork for sure.

bogey
06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
War Department
two kids 9, 11
Buddy
His kid 12
Friends from work 2 families about 10 folks

Packing a case of Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale to drink and looking for cool camp recipies for dinners

That sounds awesome! Have a blast.

smittysbar
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM

I 2nd this. These things, we call them foil packs, are freaking awesome and easy as hell. Just prepare them before you go then bury them it the coals of the fire. Dinner served!!!!

BigOlChiefsfan
06-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Make another foil packets with sliced or split sweet potatoes, some curry powder, butter, cinammon and brown sugar. Toss those on with the hobo dinners. You can core an apple, pack the center with butter, brown sugar and cinammon, wrap and bake. One or two of these will make the s'mores go further too.

Depending on facilites, I'll often bring a backpacking stove (my cheap Esbit + fuel cubes or a gaz stove) and boil some water for coffee, tea, cocoa, whatever. Hot water lets you make 'cuppa noodle' and oatmeal to augment your sandwich or granola bars, even if there are no open fires allowed. It's amazing how much something hot can perk you up in really cold weather. Not so much this weekend, I'll grant you.

Joie
06-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Take a cast iron skillet with you and make fajitas. Incredibly easy to do on the fire.

blueballs
06-19-2008, 10:18 PM
beans with lots of garlic to keep the misquitoes at bay

stlchiefs
06-20-2008, 12:09 AM

Yep, Hobo Dinners are the way to go. Delicious and each person can put in their preferred veggies. Who said cub scouts was a waste of time? :)