PDA

View Full Version : Science Ice on Mars

irishjayhawk
06-19-2008, 07:35 PM
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/06/mars-phoenix-tw.html

There is water ice on Mars within reach of the Mars Phoenix Lander, NASA scientists announced Thursday.

Photographic evidence settles the debate over the nature of the white material seen in photographs sent back by the craft. As seen in lower left of this image, chunks of the ice sublimed (changed directly from solid to gas) over the course of four days, after the lander's digging exposed them.

"It must be ice," said the Phoenix Lander's lead investigator, Peter Smith. "These little clumps completely disappearing over the course of a few days, that is perfect evidence that it's ice."

The confirmation that water ice exists in the area directly surrounding the lander is big and good news for the Martian mission. NASA's stated goal for the Mars Phoenix was to find exactly this -- water ice -- and then analyze it. With the latest news, the first step is accomplished. All that's left now is to get the water into the Phoenix's instruments, a task which has occasionally proven more difficult than anticipated.

Still, this is the best opportunity that humanity has ever had to analyze extraterrestrial water in any form. That had the Phoenix Lander's persona fired up.

"Are you ready to celebrate? Well, get ready: We have ICE!!!!! Yes, ICE, *WATER ICE* on Mars! w00t!!! Best day ever!!" the Mars Phoenix Lander tweeted at about 5:15 pm.

Their suspicions about water ice beneath the surface of Mars confirmed, scientists and the world will have renewed interest in the outcome of the soil analyses currently being conducted by the lander.

The samples are being examined for traces of organic molecules, among other substances, but the lander does not have instruments that could directly detect life.

See the full announcement from NASA.

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/06_19_pr.php

Adept Havelock
06-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Very cool. I'm sure there's nowhere near enough for a terraforming project, but that's what the Oort cloud is for. Europa would make a decent gas station as well. :)

Fish
06-19-2008, 07:58 PM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8420/dodo02002422cn9.gif

chasedude
06-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Straight from a soild to a gas, that's cool. Quite a breakthrough

chasedude
06-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Very cool. I'm sure there's nowhere near enough for a terraforming project, but that's what the Oort cloud is for. Europa would make a decent gas station as well. :)

We've been warned :p

Adept Havelock
06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
We've been warned :p

ROFL

I love those movies.

FAX
06-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Okay. Great. There's ice on Mars. Thank you, NASA.

Now, what about the damned tubes!!!

FAX

Adept Havelock
06-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Okay. Great. There's ice on Mars. Thank you, NASA.

Now, what about the damned tubes!!!

FAX

The tubes? I'd suggest starting each day with a quarter pint of gin mixed with spirits of niter, flour of sulfur, juniper, and the juice of an onion. Senior Postal Inspector Groat swears it really clears the tubes.

beavis
06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Open your mind Mr. Quaid...

blueballs
06-19-2008, 10:21 PM
is there oil

Ultra Peanut
06-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Holy Christ. That is awesome.

tmax63
06-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Need to make sure the astronauts pack a bottle or 2 of Maker's Mark when they go. Don't ever go 1st time visiting empty-handed if you want to make a good impression on the new neighbors.

C-Mac
06-20-2008, 08:37 AM
"However, an initial soil sample heated in a science instrument failed to yield evidence of water."

Think I'll wait for more positive evidence before I pop the cork.

StcChief
06-20-2008, 09:28 AM
pissed alot of money away to find out if there is water on Mars?