PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs DaJuan Morgan's HOF Blog - Part I

Tribal Warfare
06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/06/18/dajuan_morgans_hof_blog__part_i/

DaJuan Morgan's HOF Blog - Part I

Jun 18, 2008, 4:57:52 AM

Earlier this week, S DaJuan Morgan and the rest of the 2008 Chiefs Rookie Class spent a day at the Pro Football Hall of Fame (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/06/16/chiefs_rookies_visit_pro_football_hall_of_fame/). Morgan, the 82nd overall choice in this year’s draft, documented his experiences for kcchiefs.com. Here’s the first of his two-part blog detailing the rookie’s field trip to Canton, OH: <hr> Hello everyone. I’m DaJuan Morgan and the Chiefs asked me to share my experiences on our recent trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I thought before I started this blog I should introduce myself to anyone that might not be familiar with me.
I was selected by the Chiefs in the third round of this year’s draft. I actually played in college with the Chiefs third round choice last year, DT Tank Tyler, at N.C. State. I finished my career with the Wolfpack as a free safety but I actually was a wide receiver my first year in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Even though I played college ball with people like Tank and DE Mario Williams (Houston Texans), one of the more famous guys that I’ve played with is KR Devin Hester (Chicago Bears). We both went to Suncoast High in Riviera Beach, Florida. I actually played both wide receiver and quarterback there.
I guess that’s enough about me. Here’s a look into my trip to the Hall of Fame with the rest of us Chiefs rookies. I hope that you find it as exciting as it was being there firsthand.
Monday, June 16, 5:55 AM –
Man, that alarm came early this morning. Luckily, I’m staying at a hotel that’s close to the stadium so it won’t take me very long to get ready. I’m really looking forward to this trip and that’s about the only thing that’s helping me get out of bed this early in the morning.
6:20 AM-
I caught a ride to Arrowhead Stadium with a couple of my teammates. I think they are about as tired as I am but they are also looking forward to the trip like I am. Time to hop on the bus and get settled in.
6:39 AM-
I just saw both QB Len Dawson and LB Bobbie Bell standing outside. Looking out this window, I feel like a little kid again. All I can say is wow. I want to be just like those guys, and be a part of that Hall of Fame tradition. It’s just a wonderful feeling. It sounds like LB Willie Lanier is meeting us in Canton too. That’s awesome.
6:45 AM-
Everyone is on the bus and we are making our way to the airport now. Can’t wait for us to get there.
7:30 AM-
We are on our plane now, getting ready to take off for Ohio. It’s a small plane with maybe 40 seats. It has one seat, the aisle, and then another pair of seats. I made sure to grab one of the seats by myself so that I could stretch out. Breakfast consists of either an egg sandwich or breakfast burrito and fruit. I wish I could eat but I think my stomach’s in knots with anticipation right now.
10:18 AM-
We actually landed a little early and two shuttles pulled on the tarmac to pick us up and take us to the Hall of Fame. I’m headed to the second one in hopes that it doesn’t get too full. This isn’t my first time to Ohio. I’ve been to Columbus before. We actually played Akron when I was in college back in 2006 but it was in Raleigh and we lost on the last play of the game so it isn’t one of my more found memories.
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/B7A51E9D1A3E415787A6F40728310199.JPG?0.5711505039373276

10:35 AM-
The shuttles pull up to the Hall of Fame and we are welcomed by its President, Stephen Perry. He’s says something that I didn’t realize in his speech. Including this year’s class, there are only 247 players enshrined into the Hall of Fame. That’s such a small number when you realize that there’s been professional football played for 89 years.
11:40 AM-
As we make our way to the theatre to see a film, I notice a photo of S Ronnie Lott on the wall. He’s one of the great safeties to play the game. I admire him so much. He’s one of those guys that was real tough, and I just try to mold myself around that. I mean one game he had part of his pinky amputated and still played in the game. That says a whole lot about him. When I was younger I just watched him and how he hit people. I just try to play like that. I snap a quick photo of picture and take my seat in the theatre.
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/7A7D6A3CBCC5435D94FFA6998BC20E24.JPG?0.005111184497330168

12:20 PM-
The first thing we saw in the theatre was a film entitled “Path to Glory.” It was very awe-inspiring. Bobby Bell even chimed it after it ended that he was ready to put back on his jersey. I know what he means. Every time I watch a clip put together by NFL Films, I always get chills. I get so fired up and ready to play. It is like something takes over my body when I’m watching those things. That’s just one of the ways that I know I love this game.
After the film Len Dawson, Willie Lanier and Mr. Bell were joined on stage by Michael Haynes. Mr. Haynes works for the NFL now and oversees a lot of the Player Development programs. He also was a defensive back in NFL in addition to being voted into the Hall of Fame. It’s been great getting to know him along with the three Chiefs Hall of Famers. This was one of the things I was looking forward to most. Just being able to ask someone like that a question and know the answer they give back is going to impact your life is special. Those four guys up there, listening to them tell their stories, my ears were tuned in. Being able to walk away from this experience having the ability to tell somebody that I asked a Hall of Famer a question and he answered, it is just a great feeling.
12:28 PM-
After we finished up with our Q & A session, we all headed out of the room for lunch. This is where I saw yet another example of how great Chiefs fans are. We walked out of the theatre and there were people waiting for us to autograph stuff. They had Chiefs shirts and hats on and they knew who each of us were. It’s like everywhere you go there’s a Chiefs fan. I can’t really explain it but I’ll tell you that it just gets me so ready to go play. I’m looking forward to running out of the tunnel and seeing all the fans in Arrowhead Stadium. It gives me a great feeling inside just to know that they support us so well. I love the tradition the Chiefs have with the fans. You can see it all over.
12:33 PM-
Well, we are sitting down for lunch and I think I’m going to sign off for now. But make sure you check back soon. After we are done eating, we are going to start our tour of the Hall of Fame. I can just imagine the things we’ll get to see and the stories we’ll hear. And the best part for you is that I’ve got my camera with me so I’ll make sure to get some more photos for you. Talk to you soon!

Buehler445
06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Nice. Kid sounds pretty astute. Hopefully he wrote that and the PR dept didn't. If these are his words, I'm impressed.

blueballs
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
you can't sling a dead cat without hitting a Chiefs fan
that might have more to do with the cat's demise

Nightfyre
06-20-2008, 01:12 AM
It has one seat, the aisle, and then another pair of seats. I made sure to grab one of the seats by myself so that I could stretch out.

He shows good field awareness out there. The fans have got to be concerned about putting their rookie class on one airplane though; just in reach of God, who really has it in for the Chiefs.

Ultra Peanut
06-20-2008, 04:49 AM
As we make our way to the theatre to see a film, I notice a photo of S Ronnie Lott on the wall. He’s one of the great safeties to play the game. I admire him so much. He’s one of those guys that was real tough, and I just try to mold myself around that. I mean one game he had part of his pinky amputated and still played in the game. That says a whole lot about him. When I was younger I just watched him and how he hit people. I just try to play like that.Mecca boner status: Justified