PDA

View Full Version : Life For Those of You Who Went to College...

Discuss Thrower
06-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Did you ever have second thoughts about continuing on at the institution you are currently enrolled? I am curious to see if I'm in a minority on this...

ChiefsCountry
06-19-2008, 10:34 PM
No, its perfectlly normal. What's going on at Drury?

alanm
06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
What? You're not getting the total college experience?
Sure the school I went to wasn't my 1st choice. But I went in on a athletic scholarship. Outside of attending class I had a blast. But I did end up with a degree and looking back I realize I didn't die.
Stick it out unless you hate getting up in the morning to go. Either that or find some place else where you feel more comfortable.

BWillie
06-19-2008, 10:38 PM
I went to a small division 2 school my freshman and sophomore years to play golf. I had a half ride for golf, and then had grants for the other half. You can get grants up the ass to private schools. It sucked. 900 students, less than my high school. Fat chicks, boring people. I said screw it and transferred to the University of Iowa and had the time of my life. Partied Weds thru Sunday. Lived by the football stadium. Hot chicks. I sure am paying for it right now though, cuz it wasn't free. It cost me, but I'm glad I did it.

Buehler445
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I went to an MAIA school. It had 6000 people in it. I did second guess it, but the people I knew there were good, I got involved a fraternity, and loved it. There were aspects of my education that I wish were more in depth, but stick it out.

Find something to involve yourself in and time will fly.

alanm
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I went to a small division 2 school my freshman and sophomore years to play golf. I had a half ride for golf, and then had grants for the other half. You can get grants up the ass to private schools. It sucked. 900 students, less than my high school. Fat chicks, boring people. I said screw it and transferred to the University of Iowa and had the time of my life. Partied Weds thru Sunday. Lived by the football stadium. Hot chicks. I sure am paying for it right now though, cuz it wasn't free. It cost me, but I'm glad I did it.
I went to U.N.O. still Div II Although they should be Div 1-AA and even play 1-A in Hockey. I can't figure them out in Athletics these days.

ChiefsCountry
06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I went to U.N.O. still Div II Although they should be Div 1-AA and even play 1-A in Hockey. I can't figure them out in Athletics these days.

If you could hypothetically combine a public and private - Creighton and UNO would be it. Nebraska State. :) Basketball, baseball, and soccer with Creighton combine that with UNO's football and hockey, that would be a nice school.

Pitt Gorilla
06-19-2008, 10:49 PM
I went to U.N.O. still Div II Although they should be Div 1-AA and even play 1-A in Hockey. I can't figure them out in Athletics these days.I've known some folks who haven't been too happy with the way UNO hockey has been handled lately. What's going on with that program? (I wish we had hockey here).

ClevelandBronco
06-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Did you ever have second thoughts about continuing on at the institution you are currently enrolled? I am curious to see if I'm in a minority on this...

Well, I attended four colleges, so I'm probably not the voice of reason you're looking for.

Al Bundy
06-19-2008, 11:19 PM
I never looked back once I was at UCF. Not far from any beach and plenty of great lookin women.

Discuss Thrower
06-19-2008, 11:26 PM
What? You're not getting the total college experience?
Sure the school I went to wasn't my 1st choice. But I went in on a athletic scholarship. Outside of attending class I had a blast. But I did end up with a degree and looking back I realize I didn't die.
Stick it out unless you hate getting up in the morning to go. Either that or find some place else where you feel more comfortable.

Total College Experience? Yeah, I'm getting that for the most part. Drinking, making bad decisions, et c et c. Considering all the MSU/OTC randoms during late summer/fall weekends Drury seems to be the party school. I'm also in a Fraternity and that has provided with me with (what I believe to be) great friendships, even if it is only with a few people. And, as of now, my earliest class next semester will be 9:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so it isn't the morning part.

No, its perfectlly normal. What's going on at Drury?

There's also something going on at DU... And, for the most part, I like it there. A lot of people knock on it for being small, which it is, but maybe graduating with a class of 45 (a near record) I don't really see the comparisons to Drury and High School considering the incoming Fall 2007 class was 300+ students, and enrollment seems to be higher than it normally is.

But at the same time I do realize how small it is, which is a mixed bag. For the moment I'm still on a track for an American Political Studies degree, which basically has me pegged for law school. Out of the 4 political science professors on staff, I like two of them and I probably could shmooze my way into at least a cordial basis with the head of the department who has a reputation for being extremely hard and doesn't like menfolk all that much.

Maybe it's because I'm not quite sure the direction I want to take... I'm for the most part settled on ending up at Law School, but it's the path leading to it I'm not sure on. For some reason I keep dreaming of being pulled in a different "career" path, as evidenced by my choice of Fiction Writing for one class (to fulfill a core requirement, along with my third section of Radio Broadcasting) and Coaching of Football... Maybe sitting close to the Chiefs' bench at Arrowhead has polluted my thinking as to where I figure I can do it better than Herm Edwards, or at least Mike Solari.

Or it could be just the fact that I allowed myself to get my ass kicked second semester with a harder course load than my first, going from a 3.4 on 13 hours to a 1.8 on 16, six of those hours being junior level political science classes, added on to my hideous inclination to procrastinate to absurd levels, as evidenced by my starting of a 10 page research project for my bullshit "Alpha Seminar" class until 10:00pm, the day before it was due and the day I had to move out of my dorm, and not finishing it until the following Monday.

But there is an irrational component too.. With the social aspect. I by no means know everybody at school by name, and if Facebook is any indicator, I can honestly say I personally know only 10% of the student body out of approximately 1300 undergrads. I don't have any issues with any particular person, even though the occasional tussle breaks out between us and some other fraternity / MSU random Joe. I try to get along with guys in other frats, but pride and my inebriated singing of "I'm An Asshole" can get in the way of that. After two semesters of hanging around our house, I notice that outside of members, it's always the same group of regulars hanging out as well. Good people and I may not know them all that entirely well, but I don't really "click" with that scene.

Part of might be my membership in the fraternity as an issue, if anything for the reason I feel "boxed in" because I'm in the same chapter as my dad. He and one other person, I can imagine, would feel let down if they found out I was leaving DU at some point, with my dad being rather incensed at least in the beginning.

Though in the short run it's the fact I'm going back to summer school in less than four weeks that might do it. I'm enjoying playing free golf at two courses right now, and that privilege will be moot in Springtown. I've missed out on the social scene and my good friends for sure in spite of two weekends I've spent in the past three weeks, but for some reason I enjoy being an urchin at a country club and playing horrible golf.

Who knows, I guess.

ClevelandBronco
06-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Well, I attended four colleges, so I'm probably not the voice of reason you're looking for.

In the interest of being more accurate, I enrolled in and paid tuition to four colleges. I can't recall ever actually attending.

Extra Point
06-19-2008, 11:28 PM
I moved back for p----. Can't regret that.

ChiefsCountry
06-19-2008, 11:46 PM
There's also something going on at DU... And, for the most part, I like it there. A lot of people knock on it for being small, which it is, but maybe graduating with a class of 45 (a near record) I don't really see the comparisons to Drury and High School considering the incoming Fall 2007 class was 300+ students, and enrollment seems to be higher than it normally is.

But at the same time I do realize how small it is, which is a mixed bag. For the moment I'm still on a track for an American Political Studies degree, which basically has me pegged for law school. Out of the 4 political science professors on staff, I like two of them and I probably could shmooze my way into at least a cordial basis with the head of the department who has a reputation for being extremely hard and doesn't like menfolk all that much.

Maybe it's because I'm not quite sure the direction I want to take... I'm for the most part settled on ending up at Law School, but it's the path leading to it I'm not sure on. For some reason I keep dreaming of being pulled in a different "career" path, as evidenced by my choice of Fiction Writing for one class (to fulfill a core requirement, along with my third section of Radio Broadcasting) and Coaching of Football... Maybe sitting close to the Chiefs' bench at Arrowhead has polluted my thinking as to where I figure I can do it better than Herm Edwards, or at least Mike Solari.

Or it could be just the fact that I allowed myself to get my ass kicked second semester with a harder course load than my first, going from a 3.4 on 13 hours to a 1.8 on 16, six of those hours being junior level political science classes, added on to my hideous inclination to procrastinate to absurd levels, as evidenced by my starting of a 10 page research project for my bullshit "Alpha Seminar" class until 10:00pm, the day before it was due and the day I had to move out of my dorm, and not finishing it until the following Monday.

But there is an irrational component too.. With the social aspect. I by no means know everybody at school by name, and if Facebook is any indicator, I can honestly say I personally know only 10% of the student body out of approximately 1300 undergrads. I don't have any issues with any particular person, even though the occasional tussle breaks out between us and some other fraternity / MSU random Joe. I try to get along with guys in other frats, but pride and my inebriated singing of "I'm An Asshole" can get in the way of that. After two semesters of hanging around our house, I notice that outside of members, it's always the same group of regulars hanging out as well. Good people and I may not know them all that entirely well, but I don't really "click" with that scene.

Part of might be my membership in the fraternity as an issue, if anything for the reason I feel "boxed in" because I'm in the same chapter as my dad. He and one other person, I can imagine, would feel let down if they found out I was leaving DU at some point, with my dad being rather incensed at least in the beginning.

Though in the short run it's the fact I'm going back to summer school in less than four weeks that might do it. I'm enjoying playing free golf at two courses right now, and that privilege will be moot in Springtown. I've missed out on the social scene and my good friends for sure in spite of two weekends I've spent in the past three weeks, but for some reason I enjoy being an urchin at a country club and playing horrible golf.

Who knows, I guess.

My little sister goes to Drury and one of my good buddies from high school went there plus he was in Lamda Chi so I was tight with a few of those guys, which was cool come party time. For the most part from those two, it seems you are basically experience everything normal at Drury High. Alpha class kicked my sister's ass and she was/still is a 4.0 student. Just hang in there, sounds pretty normal.

Discuss Thrower
06-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Ahh great, your buddies with an alumni. When did he graduate so I can try and guess who is on one of the composites.

And Alpha was just bullsheet. With required course readings such as "Whitewashing Race", "G-Strings and Sympathy", "Post-Industrial Peasants", "The Working Poor", and two instructor made packets of other similar material, its going to make anyone right of Eugene Debs a little bit agitated.

stlchiefs
06-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Not to be an ass, but if you're doubting law school and pulling 1.8 GPA's I think you should definitely consider other potential careers as you mentioned. I'm not sure what year you are and how much time you have left to make your decision, but law school is not something you can do if you go in questioning it.

I read your post but don't completely understand what is making you question your choice of school. Is it academic, friends, lack of friends?

Discuss Thrower
06-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Not to be an ass, but if you're doubting law school and pulling 1.8 GPA's I think you should definitely consider other potential careers as you mentioned. I'm not sure what year you are and how much time you have left to make your decision, but law school is not something you can do if you go in questioning it.

I read your post but don't completely understand what is making you question your choice of school. Is it academic, friends, lack of friends?

I'm not doubting law school, not really sure of the law I want to go into (anything outside of defending scumbags like you see on Law and Order).

Braincase
06-20-2008, 05:39 AM
I accepted the scholly at Wichita State, but I wish I had just gone to KU instead.

tmax63
06-20-2008, 07:09 AM
I did 4 years at NWMSU 25 years ago and a year of OJT basically at Iowa Methodist Med Center to get a BS in Med Tech. Personal /family matters caused the extra time needed. Had the same feelings as you the last couple of years I think but stuck it out. Joined the Army a couple months after getting my degree and went into different medical field and never looked back. Sounds like you need to do some old fashioned soul-searching and decide what/how you want to do. I met guys in school who had taken a "sabbatical" working or joining the Army or whatever, then come back after making their mind up. Some of the most directed and best students I knew. You can tread water in school until you make up your mind but it's not cheap and you'll waste alot of effort in stuff that you won't use. I could of went straight into the Army and would of been drawing a retirement check right now instead of 10 years from now as it is working out (I'm 46 and work as a civilian for Uncle Sugar) but that's water under the bridge. Good luck. It's a tough time and the choices you make now will greatly shape the rest of your life even though it's hard to see past the kegger next weekend and and the wonderful things that that certain young lady has learned to with various parts of her anatomy.

alanm
06-20-2008, 07:10 AM
I've known some folks who haven't been too happy with the way UNO hockey has been handled lately. What's going on with that program? (I wish we had hockey here).
For the $$ they pour into that program they should be better than they are. I think they've stuck with the same coach waaaaaaaaaay too long.
Kinda like the Chiefs, they make the playoffs every other year and then bow out quietly.

wutamess
06-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Man up and get your freaking education.
It's the freakin paper that counts. Get your head outta your ass and finish the job.

~ have fun while doing it though.

Jenson71
06-20-2008, 07:58 AM
If I had felt what I do now about my religion, I would have gone to a Catholic college instead of a public university. So, I think about that every once in a while, but I like my college and don't have any real regrets about going there.

Sully
06-20-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm on my 5th college right now.
So...yes.

ChiefsOne
06-20-2008, 08:42 AM
I graduated from Drury and had those thoughts many times. I stuck it out, but looking back it really doesn't make that much difference where I graduated from. I started in the architecture program but ended up in the art department. I am sure in the law field or something comparable a Drury degree holds more weight.

I really enjoyed my Drury experience, small school and easier to get close to your teachers. I went to a small high school though so it fit.

StcChief
06-20-2008, 08:46 AM
It's the freakin paper that counts. Get your head outta your ass and finish the job.

~ have fun while doing it though.what he said.

Discuss Thrower
06-20-2008, 11:15 AM

~ have fun while doing it though.

Hey, it's not like I'm wanting to drop out and go work in an auto body shop, I'm just wondering if there is a better place to get my paper from.

I graduated from Drury and had those thoughts many times. I stuck it out, but looking back it really doesn't make that much difference where I graduated from. I started in the architecture program but ended up in the art department. I am sure in the law field or something comparable a Drury degree holds more weight.

I really enjoyed my Drury experience, small school and easier to get close to your teachers. I went to a small high school though so it fit.

Really, I somewhat feel like I'm missing out by not going to a larger school in some aspects, aside from the aspect where your professors know you a tad bit more personally...

ChiefsCountry
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Really, I somewhat feel like I'm missing out by not going to a larger school in some aspects, aside from the aspect where your professors know you a tad bit more personally...

The only thing that is missing at Drury that isnt at the big school like MSU is the sheer number of coeds, other than that its the same.

Silock
06-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I went to several colleges before landing at KU.

Chieficus
06-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I switched, but that was because I had to change schools to get into my degree field. I made the mistake of not looking harder at out of state schools that would work for me when I was in High School. I wanted to get into meteorology and stay in-state, but had absolutely no desire to go to Mizzou and couldn't afford Washington U. in St. Louis. So I decided to go engineering (hey, it's all math and science, right!?!?) at U of MO-Rolla. I made the grades but the thought of doing engineering the rest of my life bored me, so I stayed and worked on gen-ed courses and spent some time researching.

I found that the U. of Oklahoma had a top-notch program and their out-of-state tuition wasn't that much more than in-state in the U of MO system, so I made the switch and then never looked back or regretted it. (Before I switched I also contemplated changing into biology or a dual-major of history and archeology, but decided to stick with my childhood dreams of being a weather-geek instead, glad I did).

All that to say: if it's what you want to do, and it's a good school for that field (I really know nothing about Drury) then stick with it, if not then find a different school that is the best fit for you all around (financially, program, social atmosphere, etc.)

Chieficus
06-20-2008, 02:41 PM

Just to add: when I went to UMR (~4000 students at the time) I thought, "I like the small school atmosphere, I would hate a large school." Then when I switched to OU (which was probably really more "medium sized" at ~20000, at least compared to say Texas or Wisconsin) I enjoyed the bigger campus much much more.

And maybe it had to do with the classes I took, but in general it was my experience that I had a lot more personal interaction with the profs at OU than UMR, smaller classes too.

wutamess
06-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey, it's not like I'm wanting to drop out and go work in an auto body shop, I'm just wondering if there is a better place to get my paper from.

Of course there's better places. But at the same time, there's 2 things to be concerned with...

1. Better doesn't necessarily mean better. Name recognition doesn't really do shit in the job market right now unless you're talking ivy league or something.

2. You have a 1.8 in a small school where you can have personal relationships with teachers. How in the hell are you going to magically become magna cumme laud in a BIG university where they design classes to weed out people in certain areas of study?

Get your head out of your ass... You sound like the freshmen that came to my school every year upset because it's too slow and they're going to transfer yada yada yada, only to drop out completely or keep their ass right where they are. You're not missing nothing that the big schools have to offer. Getter done.

I went to a very small school just like you. I used to wish I went to a bigger school but looking back at the job market, etc... None of my employers have even heard of my school. Experience will get you farther than what school you went to.

The paper is powerful... no matter where it comes from.

eazyb81
06-20-2008, 02:58 PM
You do realize that law school admission is extremely competitive, right? No respectable law school will accept you with 1.8 GPA semesters these days. Also, it's going to be difficult to transfer to a "better" school coming off such a crap semester.

If you're a freshman you still have hope to get your sh#t in gear, but stop worrying about the school and start dominating your classes if you're serious about law school.

bowener
06-20-2008, 03:08 PM
I love MU. It has been great to me and for me. It is eating a massive whole in my future hypothetical wallet though. oh well, the price you pay in modern america to try and get a leg up I guess... they just regret to tell you that to get your leg up they are going to cut both of them off and hand you one back, then you can sling that over the wall and try and pull yourself up.
Mizzou will be over the 30,000 mark next year for students, and quite possibly over 31,000 to be more accurate. I love that, there are so many cool people you get to meet here, plus a ton of culture that I was never going to experience at previous schools or my small, allwhite hometown of ~1000. There is an expected increase in the winter enrollment too. I am a second year senior due to my late major swtich from pre-med to Philosophy. I have about 1.5 years of wasted credits (they dont pertain to my required classes now) and D's and F's. first year of school I went to NWMSU and hated it. Absolutely hated that place. Didnt help that I had 3 family members die and both my parents were diagnosed with different life threatening diseases. Mother has parkinsons, father had incurable prostate cancer (immediately removed the prostate--- during my finals week btw). So I came away from there with some B's, C's, D's, F's, and a bad taste for maryville, missouri. Then I transfered to MWSU where I took a ton of different classes and loved Philosophy. I had an awesome professor who became my mentor and talked me into transfering to Mizzou. MU (when I came) was ranked in the top 21 philosohy schools in the nation. I currently have a 3.2~ GPA, but almost a 4.0 in Majors/minors.
I was originally thinking about Law school as well. As was mentioned before, you shouldnt go into law school unless you are sure. the first year of Law school is supposed to be as bad if not worse than the first year of Med school as far as amount of hours you will have to put in per class hour just to get a passing grade... and that is if you are a slightly above average student. The monetary price can be a huge set back as well if you drop out. That depends, of course, on where you go. I decided against it a few months ago because I realized I would be miserable as a lawyer. I could never defend a client I suspected of being guilty, and I could never prosecute somebody who I thought was either not guilty or not the responsible party involved, but both of those you will be asked to do, and sometime required to do (and I would want to be a tax or business lawyer either). I plan to get my Ph.D. in Philosophy and become a professor. I pay a shit load to go here, currently $35,000 in debt from school, but I have had an absolute blast. Im not in a frat and love it. All the frat guys I meet here seem boring or bored. They all tend to be the same as the one next to them so I think I understand what you mean by you are boxed in. they dont seem like they are allowed to branch out of the greek system or out of their particular house much. I love the district here, bars and girls + bands. You need to get your GPA up to do anything post-graduation. Transferring to Mizzou after 3 semesters having a 3.5 or higher helped, but once I got here they wiped it back to 0.0, so that sucked, and was nice in a way had my GPA been worse. so keep that in mind if you tranfer. And as far as your dad goes, you may have to let him down to do what you want in life. He may not like it, but hopefully, if you dont **** up, he will respect you a lot later in life.

Discuss Thrower
06-20-2008, 03:11 PM
You do realize that law school admission is extremely competitive, right? No respectable law school will accept you with 1.8 GPA semesters these days. Also, it's going to be difficult to transfer to a "better" school coming off such a crap semester.

If you're a freshman you still have hope to get your sh#t in gear, but stop worrying about the school and start dominating your classes if you're serious about law school.

Yes, it's not like I intend on making that a common occurance, if anything it provided a lesson in why it's important to get stuff done on time. Learn from mistakes.

ModSocks
06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Not only did i second guess, I dropped out. I attended the Art Institute of San Diego. I looked around and realized that a $60k education + tons of crazy talented competition = not the best thing for an 18 yr old living on his own. Now im doing graphic design anyway. But...I'm lazy and have low self esteem, so....

eazyb81
06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Yes, it's not like I intend on making that a common occurance, if anything it provided a lesson in why it's important to get stuff done on time. Learn from mistakes.

I'm sure you don't plan on it, but the people you will be competing against for acceptance into law school aren't going to have those f#ck ups on their transcript.

Just do the math for a second. Let's say you took an even number of hours each semester this past year, so you ended up with a ~2.6 GPA for the year. You would need a 4.0 for the next three years just to get a cumulative 3.6 GPA, which is just around the 50th percentile for most top 50/100 schools.

I'm not trying to bring you down, but you should realize how competitive it is to gain acceptance. A lot of people talk about law school, but most don't follow through because they don't realize until it's too late you need to have fantastic numbers. I didn't realize it when I was your age, and I would have been f'd if I didn't take my grades seriously my last few years AND luck out with a nice standardized test score.

Discuss Thrower
06-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm sure you don't plan on it, but the people you will be competing against for acceptance into law school aren't going to have those f#ck ups on their transcript.

Just do the math for a second. Let's say you took an even number of hours each semester this past year, so you ended up with a ~2.6 GPA for the year. You would need a 4.0 for the next three years just to get a cumulative 3.6 GPA, which is just around the 50th percentile for most top 50/100 schools.

I'm not trying to bring you down, but you should realize how competitive it is to gain acceptance. A lot of people talk about law school, but most don't follow through because they don't realize until it's too late you need to have fantastic numbers. I didn't realize it when I was your age, and I would have been f'd if I didn't take my grades seriously my last few years AND luck out with a nice standardized test score.

Yeah, I've reached that nice little precipice were I'm almost hozzled. Right now my immediate goal is to a 3.0 career GPA, which can be after this fall semester (plus one summer) or by the end of spring. Then I'll go from there.

ChiefsOne
06-20-2008, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=Really, I somewhat feel like I'm missing out by not going to a larger school in some aspects, aside from the aspect where your professors know you a tad bit more personally...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I felt the same way. I enjoyed my time at Drury, but if I would have been single, with no kid, I would have went to a big school away from here.

I tried to get my daughter to go to a big school with a good sports program so she could have the big college experience. She went to MSU, so she missed out too.

Jenson71
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
I love MU. It has been great to me and for me. It is eating a massive whole in my future hypothetical wallet though. oh well, the price you pay in modern america to try and get a leg up I guess... they just regret to tell you that to get your leg up they are going to cut both of them off and hand you one back, then you can sling that over the wall and try and pull yourself up.
Mizzou will be over the 30,000 mark next year for students, and quite possibly over 31,000 to be more accurate. I love that, there are so many cool people you get to meet here, plus a ton of culture that I was never going to experience at previous schools or my small, allwhite hometown of ~1000. There is an expected increase in the winter enrollment too. I am a second year senior due to my late major swtich from pre-med to Philosophy. I have about 1.5 years of wasted credits (they dont pertain to my required classes now) and D's and F's. first year of school I went to NWMSU and hated it. Absolutely hated that place. Didnt help that I had 3 family members die and both my parents were diagnosed with different life threatening diseases. Mother has parkinsons, father had incurable prostate cancer (immediately removed the prostate--- during my finals week btw). So I came away from there with some B's, C's, D's, F's, and a bad taste for maryville, missouri. Then I transfered to MWSU where I took a ton of different classes and loved Philosophy. I had an awesome professor who became my mentor and talked me into transfering to Mizzou. MU (when I came) was ranked in the top 21 philosohy schools in the nation. I currently have a 3.2~ GPA, but almost a 4.0 in Majors/minors.
I was originally thinking about Law school as well. As was mentioned before, you shouldnt go into law school unless you are sure. the first year of Law school is supposed to be as bad if not worse than the first year of Med school as far as amount of hours you will have to put in per class hour just to get a passing grade... and that is if you are a slightly above average student. The monetary price can be a huge set back as well if you drop out. That depends, of course, on where you go. I decided against it a few months ago because I realized I would be miserable as a lawyer. I could never defend a client I suspected of being guilty, and I could never prosecute somebody who I thought was either not guilty or not the responsible party involved, but both of those you will be asked to do, and sometime required to do (and I would want to be a tax or business lawyer either). I plan to get my Ph.D. in Philosophy and become a professor. I pay a shit load to go here, currently $35,000 in debt from school, but I have had an absolute blast. Im not in a frat and love it. All the frat guys I meet here seem boring or bored. They all tend to be the same as the one next to them so I think I understand what you mean by you are boxed in. they dont seem like they are allowed to branch out of the greek system or out of their particular house much. I love the district here, bars and girls + bands. You need to get your GPA up to do anything post-graduation. Transferring to Mizzou after 3 semesters having a 3.5 or higher helped, but once I got here they wiped it back to 0.0, so that sucked, and was nice in a way had my GPA been worse. so keep that in mind if you tranfer. And as far as your dad goes, you may have to let him down to do what you want in life. He may not like it, but hopefully, if you dont **** up, he will respect you a lot later in life.

Good luck. I had a friend who graduated from UNI with a 3.97 GPA in Philosophy and minor in Political Science, was a Peer Tutor at UNI, and had stunning recommendations. He didn't get into any of the Philosophy PhD programs he applied to. Not even DePaul. I was shocked, and asked him how that could be. He just said it's a tough field, in part because it's such a small field. Look at your Philosophy professors' schools. It's almost an Ivy, Vanderbilt, Chicago thing - and they seem to keep it in the family.

stlchiefs
06-20-2008, 07:45 PM

I 2nd this and what wutamess said. They said it a bit harsher than I originally did, but you're going to be hard pressed to pull off law school with a 1.8 and especially if you're planning on finishing with a 3.0 cumulative. Unless you plan on acing the LSAT I think you may have painted yourself into a corner with this one.

Jenson71
06-20-2008, 09:23 PM
A really great LSAT would help a lower GPA (as in 2.7-3.0). Get around 168-170 on your LSAT and you'll have schools that will take you, I'm sure. They will love not having to give you funds. It's just $35,000 or more into their basket.

A 2.7 with a 170 LSAT looks better than a 3.6 with a 150 LSAT.

ChiefsCountry
06-20-2008, 10:14 PM
I tried to get my daughter to go to a big school with a good sports program so she could have the big college experience. She went to MSU, so she missed out too.

Other than football, MSU really isnt that different in the other sports than say MU. Been to games at both and unless KU is in town, not a whole lot difference.