PDA

View Full Version : News 17 Girls in Pregnacy Pact

cadmonkey
06-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Report by CBS Teri Okita

Posted by LS

At least 17 girls who are students at the same Massachusetts high school are pregant, after apparently entering into a pact.

There's a stunning twist to the sudden rise in teen pregnancies at Gloucester High School. Seventeen students there are expecting, and many of them became that way on purpose.

Time Magazine first reported that nearly half of the girls confessed to making a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together. None of them is older than 16.

Schools Superintendent Christopher Farmer told WBZ's Bill Shields Thursday the girls had "an agreement to get pregnant."

Farmer said these are generally "girls who lack self-esteem and have a lack of love in their life."

"The common threat is the lack of self-esteem and purpose in life, and a lack of a sense of direction," said Farmer. "Young women wanting and needing affection."

Principal Joseph Sullivan has not returned calls from WBZ for comment.

Sullivan told the magazine that the pact wasn't the only shocking incident. "We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy," he told Time.

Last month, two top officials at the high school's health center resigned in a fight over contraceptives distribution.

Medical Director Dr. Brian Orr and chief nurse practitioner Kim Daly support confidentially giving contraceptives to students. They were outraged about resistance from Addison Gilbert Hospital, which administers the state public health grant that funds the school clinic.

Normally, the school has about four pregnancies per school year.

According to Time, school officials started looking into the spike in pregnancies after an unusual number of girls came to the school clinic for pregnancy tests. Some came by several times.

"Some girls seemed more upset when they weren't pregnant than when they were," Sullivan told the magazine.

The pregnant girls and their parents turned down requests to be interviewed.

A recent graduate, who had a baby during her freshman year, told Time she knows why the girls wanted to get pregnant. "They're so excited to finally have someone to love them unconditionally," Amanda Ireland, 18, said. "I try to explain it's hard to feel loved when an infant is screaming to be fed at 3 a.m."

Ireland also spoke with WBZ about her young pregnancy. "I don't call it a mistake because the way I look at is everything happens for a reason," Ireland said. "But, no, she was not planned."

WBZ has also tried to contact Mayor Carolyn Kirk and Public Health Director Jack Vondras. Both are said to be out of town this week.

Beyond the social implications of the pregnancies, there are some legal questions being asked, including whether the men who fathered the babies will face charges of statutory rape.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=8528119&nav=5UaieQ0I

Now obviously being from the area, and having to deal with Gloucester people all the time I have a few thoughts:

1. Gloucester is its own world. I swear to God, once you cross the bridge over into the Cape Ann area, things just go nuts. I swear Texas and Gloucester should be their own countries.

2. After hearing that one of the fathers is a homeless man, I have to ask myself, who says "thats the guy I want to have unprotected sex with. I'm sure he is clean a whistle."

3. Just one more reason that I am scared to have kids. I know that after all I have done in this world, God will grace me with a daughter....to which I will have to raise her Lesbian. Because as the old saying goes, "when you have a son you only have to worry about 1 dick, but if you have a daughter you have to worry about every single dick on the planet."

irishjayhawk
06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
The question is.....

Is it all one dad?

88TG88
06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
WHy couldn't girls like this have gone to my high school.

Demonpenz
06-20-2008, 11:17 AM
to be in hs and not pull out

irishjayhawk
06-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Beyond the social implications of the pregnancies, there are some legal questions being asked, including whether the men who fathered the babies will face charges of statutory rape.

:spock:

How could they be charged with that if the girls clearly had the intention of getting pregnant?

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 11:20 AM

How could they be charged with that if the girls clearly had the intention of getting pregnant?

Strict liability. They are too young to "consent", no matter what.

Unrelatedly, I'm moving to Brazil tonight. Catch you cats later.

irishjayhawk
06-20-2008, 11:21 AM

So all underage sex is rape?

noa
06-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Strictly speaking, yes, although I think there are variations depending on the ages of the parties, but if you fall in the age where it would be statutory rape, it is strict liability. Not always enforced that way, but that's the law.

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 11:26 AM

Yes, though it's got a special phrase for it -- "statutory rape", the first word meaning that it's "rape" by law, regardless of the girl/woman having given "consent" or not.

This can lead to extremely inequitable results. Let's assume the age of consent is 16. Technically, under the law, sex between a girl who is 1 week shy of her 16th birthday, and her boyfriend who is 2 weeks after his 16th birthday, is statutory rape. As a result, some states have modified their laws lately to try to adjust for things like this.

As a practical matter, sex between two minors under the age of consent is unprosecutable as it would be mutual statutory rape.

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Strictly speaking, yes. Of course, it doesn't get enforced that way, but it is strict liability.

Well, erm, it does get enforced that way... Obviously, it often goes unreported or unenforced, but I remember that poor kid who was a potential basketball star -- 18 or whatever, who was guilty of statutory rape of a 16 year old. Something like that.

He was doing a LOONG time in jail (for his age) and it was ruining his life. People were trying to petition to get him out, the girl was like "WTF, I wanted to do him", etc.

Someone on here will probably remember the details better than I, but it's a real law, and really gets enforced.

Joie
06-20-2008, 11:28 AM
I can't imagine getting pregnant intentionally that young. I did all I could to PREVENT pregnancy. I'm almost thirty and just now ready to have a planned pregnancy. Where are their parents? Has noone talked to them about the responsibility of being a mother? Hell, I'm STILL getting told that a baby will change my life forever.

irishjayhawk
06-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes, though it's got a special phrase for it -- "statutory rape", the first word meaning that it's "rape" by law, regardless of the girl/woman having given "consent" or not.

This can lead to extremely inequitable results. Let's assume the age of consent is 16. Technically, under the law, sex between a girl who is 1 week shy of her 16th birthday, and her boyfriend who is 2 weeks after his 16th birthday, is statutory rape. As a result, some states have modified their laws lately to try to adjust for things like this.

As a practical matter, sex between two minors under the age of consent is unprosecutable as it would be mutual statutory rape.

So am I missing something here or aren't they older than the age of consent in Kansas (which I believe was lowered to 15, but can't remember accurately)?

irishjayhawk
06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, erm, it does get enforced that way... Obviously, it often goes unreported or unenforced, but I remember that poor kid who was a potential basketball star -- 18 or whatever, who was guilty of statutory rape of a 16 year old. Something like that.

He was doing a LOONG time in jail (for his age) and it was ruining his life. People were trying to petition to get him out, the girl was like "WTF, I wanted to do him", etc.

Someone on here will probably remember the details better than I, but it's a real law, and really gets enforced.

Wasn't that the bj incident in Georgia?

noa
06-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I meant that when it gets enforced, its strict liability, but it obviously is not enforced as often as the offenses occur.

noa
06-20-2008, 11:31 AM
So am I missing something here or aren't they older than the age of consent in Kansas (which I believe was lowered to 15, but can't remember accurately)?

I think the laws vary depending on the state. In some states, the age difference required for statutory rape depends on the age of the girl at the time.

Joie
06-20-2008, 11:31 AM

It's important to remember that the law is the same if the girl is an adult and the boy is underage.

The law is there to protect people underage, but there are ways around it such as parental consent to get married underage. If the minor is married with parental consent to an adult, then legally it's not statutory rape. These also tend to be fairly old laws, IIRC.

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Hell, I'm STILL getting told that a baby will change my life forever.

It will. There is life before babies, and life after. EVERYTHING changes. Even moreso for women, but also for fathers. Not just how much sleep you get or whatever. Every single facet of your life will change. It's impossible to explain, and it's not all bad (far from it), but it is certainly true.

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 11:33 AM
It's important to remember that the law is the same if the girl is an adult and the boy is underage.

The law is there to protect people underage, but there are ways around it such as parental consent to get married underage. If the minor is married with parental consent to an adult, then legally it's not statutory rape. These also tend to be fairly old laws, IIRC.

Yes, the concept is very old.

Statutory rape is subject to even more spotty enforcement wen the victim is a boy. Unless he's truly a child, or the woman is in a position of power (teacher), it's generally unenforced.

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 11:34 AM

They are in Gloucester, Mass, where the age of consent is 16. Apparently some are under that age.

Joie
06-20-2008, 11:34 AM
It will. There is life before babies, and life after. EVERYTHING changes. Even moreso for women, but also for fathers. Not just how much sleep you get or whatever. Every single facet of your life will change. It's impossible to explain, and it's not all bad (far from it), but it is certainly true.

I'm counting on everything changing. I'm very ready to be a mother. My point was that I'm twice the age of these girls and am still being forewarned before becoming pregnant.

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I think the laws vary depending on the state. In some states, the age difference required for statutory rape depends on the age of the girl at the time.

Right, age differs by state. I remember about 5-10 years ago hearing that the age of consent in some god-forsaken southern state (I want to say Tennessee) was something ridiculous like 10 or 12. So it's fine for a 35 year old to be nailing an 12 year old or whatever. Absurd.

Joie
06-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Right, age differs by state. I remember about 5-10 years ago hearing that the age of consent in some god-forsaken southern state (I want to say Tennessee) was something ridiculous like 10 or 12. So it's fine for a 35 year old to be nailing an 12 year old or whatever. Absurd.

Sick. That's a pretty good way to have the girl's daddy chasing you down the street with a shotgun.

irishjayhawk
06-20-2008, 11:38 AM

It's sad that there are laws that "protect" people from a biologically normal act. But that's another story.

irishjayhawk
06-20-2008, 11:39 AM

I believe that compound in Texas gets away with that.

eazyb81
06-20-2008, 11:44 AM
I want to see a picture of the porker that could only find a homeless guy to do her. How embarrassing.

irishjayhawk
06-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I want to see a picture of the porker that could only find a homeless guy to do her. How embarrassing.

As embarrassing as a 22 year old getting engaged to White Owl.

penguinz
06-20-2008, 11:48 AM
They are in Gloucester, Mass, where the age of consent is 16. Apparently some are under that age.Article says all were under 16.

penguinz
06-20-2008, 11:50 AM
It's sad that there are laws that "protect" people from a biologically normal act. But that's another story.It is more sad that there are 33 year old men out their that would bang a 12 year old without hesitation.

LiL stumppy
06-20-2008, 11:54 AM
LMAO omg, this is unbelievable. And I thought we had a lot of whores.

Rausch
06-20-2008, 12:00 PM
LMAO omg, this is unbelievable. And I thought we had a lot of whores.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?...:hmmm:

chasedude
06-20-2008, 12:12 PM
It is more sad that there are 33 year old men out their that would bang a 12 year old without hesitation.

Where do you draw the line then when everything is in black and white?

alanm
06-20-2008, 12:14 PM

And if the boys are underage how come the girls aren't being charged with statutory rape as well? :hmmm:

Hydrae
06-20-2008, 12:16 PM
.Article says all were under 16.

None of them is older than 16.

LiL stumppy
06-20-2008, 12:19 PM
And if the boys are underage how come the girls aren't being charged with statutory rape as well? :hmmm:

True that.

bogey
06-20-2008, 12:39 PM
When I was a younger man, I picked up a girl while working at a Theme Park. She was there with her parents. They were really nice to me, and they were all for me and her going out. After I got off work, I went to their resort and picked her up and we went down to the lake for a swim. We started the making out and fondling process. Before much more happened the subject of age came up. I told her I was 21 she told me she was 13!!! I swear, the evening ended at that point. However, it was quite obvious this gal had already been around the block. There is no way she mentally acted or physically looked 13.

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM

I answered this before -- it's effectively impossible to have both minors up on charges of statutory rape. You just can't prosecute them when neither is able to consent. By law, both are "victims", which as a corollary means that neither is a perpetrator.

Also, as others have noted, in this case many/all of the men were over the age of consent.

Kylo Ren
06-20-2008, 12:51 PM

statutory rape

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
When I was a younger man, I picked up a girl while working at a Theme Park. She was there with her parents. They were really nice to me, and they were all for me and her going out. After I got off work, I went to their resort and picked her up and we went down to the lake for a swim. We started the making out and fondling process. Before much more happened the subject of age came up. I told her I was 21 she told me she was 13!!! I swear, the evening ended at that point. However, it was quite obvious this gal had already been around the block. There is no way she mentally acted or physically looked 13.

Anytime this type of stuff comes up I remember when I worked at McDonald's as a teenager in high school -- late teens like 16-18. We had a full-bodied, hot-blooded slut named Dina who worked for us. She started at 14, and was already about 5'7", had C cups, was hot, was obviously very sexually active, and was hot as hell.

I never touched her of course, but it's impossible to think she would have been any kind of victim. Hell, she was far more experienced than I was at that point in time. :D

And that was the late 80s. Can't imagine what teenagers are like now. Seems like they pride themselves on being practically naked...

Amnorix
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
statutory rape

Some, obviously, have no idea what the phrase means.

Kylo Ren
06-20-2008, 12:56 PM
And if the boys are underage how come the girls aren't being charged with statutory rape as well? :hmmm: I think most were impregnated by much older men. I read that in a different version of the same story.

beach tribe
06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
WHy couldn't girls like this have gone to my high school.

So you wish you could have knocked a chick up in HS?

blueballs
06-20-2008, 02:02 PM
It was all a misunderstanding from the start
they were all getting high -but one girl refused
the pact was suppose to be lets all get that prig nancy

Fish
06-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Where do you draw the line then when everything is in black and white?

Maybe draw the line where the black part ends and the white part begins....?

But then I'd just be a smartass..... :D

sedated
06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
more productive members of society

bowener
06-20-2008, 03:28 PM
3. Just one more reason that I am scared to have kids. I know that after all I have done in this world, God will grace me with a daughter....to which I will have to raise her Lesbian. Because as the old saying goes, "when you have a son you only have to worry about 1 dick, but if you have a daughter you have to worry about every single dick but yours on the planet."
FYP

But I guess this is CP, so yours seems logical:
"when you have a son you only have to worry about 1 dick, but if you have a daughter you have to worry about every single dick on chiefs planet."

As for a lesbian daughter. Lesbian couples have the lowest average of STD's per couple, as well as the least amount of sex per couple.

Chief Henry
06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
This story is SAD.

bowener
06-20-2008, 03:57 PM
This story is SAD.
SEXY AND DISTURBING???

Rausch
06-20-2008, 04:15 PM

This is also sad...

Hammock Parties
06-20-2008, 07:53 PM
That's it. I want to go back to high school. TAKE ME JESUS. REINCARNATE ME! ULULULULULULU!

ChieflySpeaking
06-20-2008, 07:57 PM

So did you CHECK IN to a nice SoCal booty prison? I hear a stretched booty hole can make a person want to check out.

Logical
06-20-2008, 08:16 PM
That's it. I want to go back to high school. TAKE ME JESUS. REINCARNATE ME! ULULULULULULU!
You are unlikely to get laid in a whorehouse on a deserted Island. It is you manner, not your location.

irishjayhawk
06-20-2008, 09:18 PM

This is also sad...

And some find the law incredibly stupid.

HolmeZz
06-20-2008, 09:45 PM
I didn't think this would be a funny story until I heard about the homeless guy. You couldn't make that sh*t up.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2008, 09:49 PM
I didn't this would be a funny story until I heard about the homeless guy. You couldn't make that sh*t up.

I bet there are a lot of good-looking homeless guys out there. They barely get anything to eat and probably get plenty of exercise. Plus, most of them can pull off that "rugged" look. Give them a shower, a trim, and a shot of penicillin and you get urban stud muffin.

Rausch
06-20-2008, 10:55 PM
And some find the law incredibly stupid.

If you're wanting to augment, stretch 3 or 4 years I can see that. Senior with a freshman? Yeah, that wasn't common but it was done when I was in HS. I really don't have a problem with it.

I do see a problem with someone who's 25 being with a 15 year old. Deep, severe problems...

mcan
06-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Question: What's the reason we have statutory rape laws?

Possible answer number 1: It is inherently WRONG for people past a certain age to have sex with people who are younger than a certain age.

Possible answer number 2: It is a safeguard against people whom, past a certain age, might prey upon the naivity of those younger than a certain age, and convince the young person to give 'consent' to engage in what would otherwise be unwanted sexual conduct.

I'm pretty firmly entrenched into camp #2. Seems to me the court's job is to look at each case and determine if #2 applies.

mcan
06-21-2008, 12:03 AM
If you're wanting to augment, stretch 3 or 4 years I can see that. Senior with a freshman? Yeah, that wasn't common but it was done when I was in HS. I really don't have a problem with it.

I do see a problem with someone who's 25 being with a 15 year old. Deep, severe problems...

Most of the time, I'm right there with you. I don't see how a 25 year old and a 15 year old could have much (if anything) in common. But, it could possibly be a 25 year old who never had any friends and has the social capacity of a 15 year old, and perhaps the 15 year old is fairly socially advanced. It might seem kinda sad that a 25 year old is like that, but is there really something "wrong" about it?

I'm just not the deontological type. I feel that if something is to be labeled "wrong" there has to be a reason why.

Mecca
06-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Atleast a homeless guy scored.

kcxiv
06-21-2008, 01:00 AM
So thats like a double technical foul in basketball?

irishjayhawk
06-21-2008, 01:32 AM

No, I do have my limits. But the current ones are horrendous.

Kerberos
06-21-2008, 05:00 AM
I bet there are a lot of good-looking homeless guys out there. They barely get anything to eat and probably get plenty of exercise. Plus, most of them can pull off that "rugged" look. Give them a shower, a trim, and a shot of penicillin and you get urban stud muffin.

Are you going to take him to the dentist too to get a partial or a full set of false teeth to replace the missing ones?

Or does the gum to gum look turn you on? No teeth to get caught on?