PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is the "BIG CHIEFS WHAT_IF GAME" possible?

Frankie
06-21-2008, 11:05 AM
This being the off-season and with so many planeteers adept in finding info, this idea of reconstructing Chiefs history (as if in a parallel dimension) has been dancing in my head. But I by myself cannot do this. Though if enough people get involved it might prove quite interesting. Here's the scenario:

We pick one "what if" moment in the Chiefs history. Like "what if LB Percy Snow had not broken his ankle and actually fulfilled the lofty predictions about him?" What would the domino affect be on the Chiefs subsequent records and drafts?

Another moment we could pick would be if instead of Trezell Jenkins we would have drafted someone that was on the board and we know had gone on to a great career. Again how that would affect our subsequent records and drafts.

We can do this step by step (In a dedicated thread) and after thorough discussion among the planeteers. After reasonable majority agreement is gained for each step we can move it to the next step, until present. We could see if we could have won a SB by now or actually have gotten worse.

I know a lot of varying factors are involved, but that's why I'm asking for discussions to arrive at the most reasonable factor at each step.

What do you think? Can this be done? Use this thread for the discussion of that possibility and how we can tighten up the process. Then, if it's a go, we can start the actual "Parallel Universe" thread.

L.A. Chieffan
06-21-2008, 11:08 AM
What if we had a defense in '03.

kstater
06-21-2008, 11:09 AM
I think it all started when Carl drafted Blackledge.

milkman
06-21-2008, 11:11 AM
To me, if you want do this, the biggest "What if" moment comes in the Christmas day loss to the Dolphins in the playoffs.

What if Stenerud had made one of those missed FGs to win that game?

thebrad84
06-21-2008, 11:12 AM
What if Carl Peterson had never been hired by the Chiefs?

Mr. Arrowhead
06-21-2008, 11:13 AM
"what if" you actually knew your chiefs history

kstater
06-21-2008, 11:14 AM

:LOL:

Frankie
06-21-2008, 11:14 AM
To me, if you want do this, the biggest "What if" moment comes in the Christmas day loss to the Dolphins in the playoffs.

That's too far back in history to reconstruct, I think.

Frankie
06-21-2008, 11:15 AM

I think he was being sarcastic.

milkman
06-21-2008, 11:19 AM

You're new here, aren't you?

Andoverer
06-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Yes it's the local urban myth that Carl drafted Blackledge and he's having some fun with it. You bit

milkman
06-21-2008, 11:21 AM
That's too far back in history to reconstruct, I think.

Why?

Too lazy to do a little research?

Bearcat
06-21-2008, 11:25 AM
What if Joe Montana had been able to finish the game versus Buffalo in the '93 playoffs?

I remember the OT game versus the Steelers and the great game against the Oilers, but like Joe, I'm a little foggy on the Bills game. I know it ended up not even being close, but what was the score when Joe left the game?

Er, nm, Google before posting...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Kansas_City_Chiefs_season
... it was 20-6, so maybe not. :shrug:

Mr. Arrowhead
06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
no been here for a couple of years, i guess maybe i dont get it

Baby Lee
06-21-2008, 12:05 PM
If Grbac hadn't had his shoulder slammed in the game against the Steelers and got a chance to develop as 'the guy with the last second game winner to Rison against the hated Raiders' instead of 'the guy who couldn't handle having the spectre of Gannon hanging over him.'

blueballs
06-21-2008, 12:11 PM
What if Vermeil stayed retired

-that'll keep you busy for a while

jjchieffan
06-21-2008, 12:43 PM
How about, What if He Who Shall Not Be Named was never a part of the team because Nick Lowry had been re-signed?

milkman
06-21-2008, 12:47 PM
How about, What if He Who Shall Not Be Named was never a part of the team because Nick Lowry had been re-signed?

That's an easy one.

Marty would have found another way to lose.

jagerdrinker
06-21-2008, 12:52 PM
What if the Chiefs beat the Donks in the '97 playoffs...I still honestly think they were the two best teams that season.

milkman
06-21-2008, 12:57 PM
What if the Chiefs beat the Donks in the '97 playoffs...I still honestly think they were the two best teams that season.

Marty would have found a way to lose in the AFC Championship.

wolfpack0735
06-21-2008, 12:58 PM
what if Dickie would have kept Cunningham as defensive cord. and they resigned donnie edwards instead of letting the bolts have him.

jjchieffan
06-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Ok Frankie. For one of your questions. What if, instead of trading down and taking Jenkins, What if we had traded up and taken Ty Law? Granted, Corner was already a strength back then, but you can never have too many good corners. 1995 is the year that we picked up Hasty, so there was a need. Could you imagine a secondary with Carter, Hasty and a rookie Law as nickle back, and then the subsequent years with Law as starter beside Carter? That would been one of the most lethal combination's in NFL history.

milkman
06-21-2008, 01:01 PM
what if Dickie would have kept Cunningham as defensive cord. and they resigned donnie edwards instead of letting the bolts have him.

Donnie Edwards could have been the bronco buster at the rodeo, and Maslowski could have been the clown that saved his ass.

Thig Lyfe
06-21-2008, 01:08 PM

To be honest, nobody knows that... it's been washed away by time...

mikey23545
06-21-2008, 01:14 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The Chiefs would have probably blown out the Colts (who the Dolphins beat 21-0 the next week), and met Dallas in the Super Bowl. Whether they won or not, they would have appeared in 3 of the first 6 Super Bowls, and possibly have won two of them...

They might be considered a mini-dynasty today....

Buck
06-21-2008, 01:15 PM
What if the Colts didn't make the 2003 playoffs?

JohnnyV13
06-21-2008, 01:44 PM
What if the Chiefs had kept Donnie Edwards and drafted John Henderson instead of that POS Ryan Sims in 2003?

Frankie
06-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Why?

Too lazy to do a little research?

That's not my point. First of all, if the majority decides we could set that as the point to build back from. But I do think trying to reconstruct almost 40 years of history would be an unrealistic task. That's why I think we should find a point in the Peterson era to start from.

Frankie
06-21-2008, 01:57 PM
If Grbac hadn't had his shoulder slammed in the game against the Steelers and got a chance to develop as 'the guy with the last second game winner to Rison against the hated Raiders' instead of 'the guy who couldn't handle having the spectre of Gannon hanging over him.'

I think Grbac's attitude would have always been a detriment to his realizing his talent. But if you wanna suggest that as a staring point for the game you should submit it for voting.

beach tribe
06-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Rich Gannon had been given the ball in the 97 playoffs.

I will NEVER forgive them for RG. IT WAS SO FUQING OBVIOUS!!

Rausch
06-21-2008, 02:29 PM

What if we had drafted ANY of the other 1st round QB's instead of Blackledge?...:hmmm:

jjchieffan
06-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Rich Gannon had been given the ball in the 97 playoffs.

I will NEVER forgive them for RG. IT WAS SO FUQING OBVIOUS!!

Please stop with the Gannon love already. We have a Gannon on our roster now. His name is Damon Huard. The guy was nothing special. He was merely the anti-Grbac, so people idolized him. Then, he was lucky enough to be dropped into the perfect situation in Oakland. Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, and Jon Grudens system made Gannon successful there. Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, or even Grbac would have put up similar numbers.

beach tribe
06-21-2008, 02:32 PM
What if we had drafted ANY of the other 1st round QB's instead of Blackledge?...:hmmm:

Imagine if you will.

beach tribe
06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Please stop with the Gannon love already. We have a Gannon on our roster now. His name is Damon Huard. The guy was nothing special. He was merely the anti-Grbac, so people idolized him. Then, he was lucky enough to be dropped into the perfect situation in Oakland. Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, and Jon Grudens system made Gannon successful there. Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, or even Grbac would have put up similar numbers.

Dude, Bull ****ing shit. I did not hate Grbac.

Gannon won games for us. He was playmaker in our offense. Remember the 49er game?

He made things happen when nothing was there.

And if Gruden's scheme is all it was, how come he brings in every QB he can, trying to find someone who can do what he did, and no one has even come close.

The guy was an excellent QB with intangibles that can't be coached out of someone. A league MVP more than once.

# NFL season record for most completions in a season (418 in 2002)--record broken by Drew Brees during the 2007-2008 season
# NFL season record for 300+ yard passing games (10 in 2002)
# NFL season record for consecutive 300+ yard passing games (6 in 2002), tied with Steve Young (1998) and Kurt Warner (2000)
# NFL game record for most consecutive completions in a single game (21 at Denver 2002)--record broken by Mark Brunell during the 2006-2007 season

The scheme helps, but you still have to make the plays.

I guess you could say that Joe M. was just a product of the west coast offense huh? Or that he had John Taylor, and Jerry Rice.

Buck
06-21-2008, 02:46 PM

Gannon won games for us. He was playmaker in our offense. Remember the 49er game?

And if Gruden's scheme is all it was, how come he brings in every QB he can, trying to find someone who can do what he did, and no one has even come close.

The guy was an excellent QB with intangibles that can't be coached out of someone. A league MVP more than once.

# NFL season record for most completions in a season (418 in 2002)--record broken by Drew Brees during the 2007-2008 season
# NFL season record for consecutive 300+ yard passing games (6 in 2002), tied with Steve Young (1998) and Kurt Warner (2000)
# NFL game record for most consecutive completions in a single game (21 at Denver 2002)--record broken by Mark Brunell during the 2006-2007 season

I guess you could say that Joe M. was just a product of the west coast offense huh? Or that he had John Taylor, and Jerry Rice.

Gannon was a Good QB, but not great. He did have Tim Brown and Jerry Rice, and Jerry Porter was a freak for a short while. Not to mention that they had a spectacular O Line back then.

Deberg_1990
06-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Heh....

Ill play along.

What if Carl had hired DV in 1989 like he originally wanted instead of Marty?

Deberg_1990
06-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Gannon and what he did with the Raiders was the perfect marriage.

Perfect combo of QB, head coach, scheme and talent around him. Gannon would have never achieved that level of success in KC.

Baby Lee
06-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Heh....

Ill play along.

What if Carl had hired DV in 1989 like he originally wanted instead of Marty?

We'd have been the Vikings of the 90s instead of the Chiefs of the 90s.

Baby Lee
06-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Please stop with the Gannon love.
Dude, did you ask for a masturbatory bit of Gannon fanfic? Here you go.

beach tribe
06-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Gannon was a Good QB, but not great. He did have Tim Brown and Jerry Rice, and Jerry Porter was a freak for a short while. Not to mention that they had a spectacular O Line back then.

I can agree with that, but he really sparked this team in 97, and I truly believe that had he been given the chance that year we would not have lost that game to the Donks.

BTW. Steve young had every bit as much talent on his teams, if not more, than Gannon. Yet Gannon was able to topple some of his #s.

jjchieffan
06-21-2008, 02:52 PM

I didn't say it was just the offense. I said it was also Rice and Brown. Remember the Vikings with their awesome receiving corps?They sent another journeyman to the pro bowl...Randall Cunningham.

Kurt Warner and Mark Bulger made pro bowls and looked like HOF'ers with the system and receivers in St. Louis. Their careers declined without that benefit. If Gannon was so great, why did it take so many years for him to be successful?

beach tribe
06-21-2008, 02:53 PM

OK OK.

kstater
06-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Heh, you just made JJ's point, being all those stats are from 2002, the year the stars aligned for him.

beach tribe
06-21-2008, 02:55 PM
All I was really trying to say is if they had not given the job back to Grbac for the 97 playoffs, I think things would have been different.

beach tribe
06-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Heh, you just made JJ's point, being all those stats are from 2002, the year the stars aligned for him.

I yield.

FAX
06-21-2008, 07:04 PM

I've mentioned this before, but Lenny The Cool has said on many occasions that, had we defeated the Dolphins, the Chiefs would have gone on to become a dynasty, Mr. milkman. He thinks that loss broke the team's spirit somehow.

As for Gannon, there's no question that we should have stayed with him and kept Grbac on the bench. Anyone who thinks otherwise can sit behind the Blazer with Granny.

FAX

Frankie
06-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Ok Frankie. For one of your questions. What if, instead of trading down and taking Jenkins, What if we had traded up and taken Ty Law? Granted, Corner was already a strength back then, but you can never have too many good corners. 1995 is the year that we picked up Hasty, so there was a need. Could you imagine a secondary with Carter, Hasty and a rookie Law as nickle back, and then the subsequent years with Law as starter beside Carter? That would been one of the most lethal combination's in NFL history.

That would have been intriguing. I actually wanted Law to be drafted by us. But as you said CB was a Chiefs strength then. For more realistic option of draft I'd like to know who was still on the board when we took Jenkins that we could have taken instead.

jjchieffan
06-21-2008, 10:35 PM
[edit] Round one
Pick # NFL Team Player Position College
1 Cincinnati Bengals Ki-Jana Carter Running Back Penn State
2 Jacksonville Jaguars Tony Boselli Tackle USC
3 Houston Oilers Steve McNair Quarterback Alcorn State
4 Washington Redskins Michael Westbrook Wide Receiver Colorado
5 Carolina Panthers Kerry Collins Quarterback Penn State
6 St. Louis Rams Kevin Carter Defensive End Florida
7 Philadelphia Eagles Mike Mamula Defensive End Boston College
8 Seattle Seahawks Joey Galloway Wide Receiver Ohio State
9 New York Jets Kyle Brady Tight End Penn State
10 San Francisco 49ers J.J. Stokes Wide Receiver UCLA
11 Minnesota Vikings Derrick Alexander Defensive Tackle Florida State
12 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Warren Sapp Defensive Tackle Miami
13 New Orleans Saints Mark Fields Linebacker Washington State
14 Buffalo Bills Ruben Brown Guard Pittsburgh
15 Indianapolis Colts Ellis Johnson Defensive Tackle Florida
16 New York Jets Hugh Douglas Defensive End Central State (OH)
17 New York Giants Tyrone Wheatley Running Back Michigan
18 Oakland Raiders Napoleon Kaufman Running Back Washington
19 Jacksonville Jaguars James Stewart Running Back Tennessee
20 Detroit Lions Luther Elliss Defensive Tackle Utah
21 Chicago Bears Rashaan Salaam Running Back Colorado
22 Carolina Panthers Tyrone Poole Defensive Back Fort Valley State
23 New England Patriots Ty Law Defensive Back Michigan
24 Minnesota Vikings Korey Stringer Tackle Ohio State
25 Miami Dolphins Billy Milner Tackle Houston
26 Atlanta Falcons Devin Bush Defensive Back Florida State
27 Pittsburgh Steelers Mark Bruener Tight End Washington
28 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Derrick Brooks Linebacker Florida State
29 Carolina Panthers Blake Brockermeyer Tackle Texas
30 Cleveland Browns Craig Powell Linebacker Ohio State
31 Kansas City Chiefs Trezelle Jenkins Tackle Michigan
32 Green Bay Packers Craig Newsome Defensive Back Arizona State

[edit] Round two
33 New York Jets Matt O'Dwyer Guard Northwestern
34 San Diego Chargers Terrance Shaw Defensive back Stephen F. Austin
35 Houston Oilers Anthony Cook Defensive tackle South Carolina State
36 Carolina Panthers Shawn King Defensive end N.E. Louisiana
37 Washington Redskins Cory Raymer Center Wisconsin
38 St. Louis Rams Zach Wiegert Tackle Nebraska
39 Seattle Seahawks Christian Fauria Tight end Colorado
40 Jacksonville Jaguars Brian DeMarco Defensive tackle Michigan State
41 Atlanta Falcons Ronald Davis Defensive back Tennessee
42 Minnesota Vikings Orlando Thomas Defensive back Southwestern Louisiana
43 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Melvin Johnson Defensive back Kentucky
44 New Orleans Saints Ray Zellars Running back Notre Dame
45 Buffalo Bills Todd Collins Quarterback Michigan
46 Dallas Cowboys Sherman Williams Running back Alabama
47 Arizona Cardinals Frank Sanders Wide receiver Auburn
48 Indianapolis Colts Ken Dilger Tight end Illinois
49 Los Angeles Raiders Barret Robbins Center Texas Christian
50 Philadelphia Eagles Bobby Taylor Defensive back Notre Dame
51 San Diego Chargers Terrell Fletcher Running back Wisconsin
52 Chicago Bears Patrick Riley Defensive tackle Miami (FL)
53 Miami Dolphins Andrew Greene Guard Indiana
54 New York Giants Scott Gragg Tackle Montana
55 Minnesota Vikings Corey Fuller Defensive back Florida State
56 Chicago Bears Todd Sauerbrun Punter West Virginia
57 New England Patriots Ted Johnson Linebacker Colorado
58 Philadelphia Eagles Barrett Brooks Tackle Kansas State
59 Dallas Cowboys Kendell Watkins Tight end Mississippi State
60 Pittsburgh Steelers Kordell Stewart Quarterback Colorado
61 San Diego Chargers Jimmy Oliver Wide receiver Texas Christian
62 St. Louis Rams Jesse James Guard Mississippi State
63 Dallas Cowboys Shane Hannah Guard Michigan State
64 Jacksonville Jaguars Bryan Schwartz Linebacker Augustana (IL)

jjchieffan
06-21-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't believe ther was a single pro bowler that came out of the second round that year.

ChiefsCountry
06-22-2008, 01:33 AM
I wasnt alive at that time but if you know anything about the history of the Chiefs, it was the Christmas Day of 1971 was the moment for this franchise. That game basically was going to change the whole perception of this franchise either for the good or the worst. We win that game and more than likely the Chiefs win Super Bowl number 2 and go down as a dyntasy in the NFL, 3 of the first 6 Super Bowls, with 2 wins. Of course we would have to played Baltimore next but still more than likely the Chiefs would have won and faced the Cowboys. Chiefs win that game and Miami not have their magically season the next year. Lot of what if's stem from that game. I can think of 3 franchises that probally were affected by it - Chiefs, Dolphins, and Cowboys. Chiefs went into the hole, Dolphins took their place, and Cowboys got their first Super Bowl win thus going on into the Gay America's Team nickname.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-22-2008, 02:43 AM
What if we had a defense in '03.

What if Ed McCaffery didn't get lucky down the middle for a 48 yard gain early in the 2nd half of a playoff game in Arrowhead stadium back in 98?

POND_OF_RED
06-22-2008, 02:46 AM
What if we never promoted Gunther to HC and he was the D coordinator for the 2003 team instead of Robinson?

Frankie
06-22-2008, 08:08 AM
[edit] Round one
1 Cincinnati Bengals Ki-Jana Carter Running Back Penn State
2 Jacksonville Jaguars Tony Boselli Tackle USC
3 Houston Oilers Steve McNair Quarterback Alcorn State
4 Washington Redskins Michael Westbrook Wide Receiver Colorado
5 Carolina Panthers Kerry Collins Quarterback Penn State
6 St. Louis Rams Kevin Carter Defensive End Florida
7 Philadelphia Eagles Mike Mamula Defensive End Boston College
8 Seattle Seahawks Joey Galloway Wide Receiver Ohio State
9 New York Jets Kyle Brady Tight End Penn State
10 San Francisco 49ers J.J. Stokes Wide Receiver UCLA
11 Minnesota Vikings Derrick Alexander Defensive Tackle Florida State
12 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Warren Sapp Defensive Tackle Miami
13 New Orleans Saints Mark Fields Linebacker Washington State
14 Buffalo Bills Ruben Brown Guard Pittsburgh
15 Indianapolis Colts Ellis Johnson Defensive Tackle Florida
16 New York Jets Hugh Douglas Defensive End Central State (OH)
17 New York Giants Tyrone Wheatley Running Back Michigan
18 Oakland Raiders Napoleon Kaufman Running Back Washington
19 Jacksonville Jaguars James Stewart Running Back Tennessee
20 Detroit Lions Luther Elliss Defensive Tackle Utah
21 Chicago Bears Rashaan Salaam Running Back Colorado
22 Carolina Panthers Tyrone Poole Defensive Back Fort Valley State
23 New England Patriots Ty Law Defensive Back Michigan
24 Minnesota Vikings Korey Stringer Tackle Ohio State
25 Miami Dolphins Billy Milner Tackle Houston
26 Atlanta Falcons Devin Bush Defensive Back Florida State
27 Pittsburgh Steelers Mark Bruener Tight End Washington
28 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Derrick Brooks Linebacker Florida State
29 Carolina Panthers Blake Brockermeyer Tackle Texas
30 Cleveland Browns Craig Powell Linebacker Ohio State
31 Kansas City Chiefs Trezelle Jenkins Tackle Michigan
32 Green Bay Packers Craig Newsome Defensive Back Arizona State

[edit] Round two
33 New York Jets Matt O'Dwyer Guard Northwestern
34 San Diego Chargers Terrance Shaw Defensive back Stephen F. Austin
35 Houston Oilers Anthony Cook Defensive tackle South Carolina State
36 Carolina Panthers Shawn King Defensive end N.E. Louisiana
37 Washington Redskins Cory Raymer Center Wisconsin
38 St. Louis Rams Zach Wiegert Tackle Nebraska
39 Seattle Seahawks Christian Fauria Tight end Colorado
40 Jacksonville Jaguars Brian DeMarco Defensive tackle Michigan State
41 Atlanta Falcons Ronald Davis Defensive back Tennessee
42 Minnesota Vikings Orlando Thomas Defensive back Southwestern Louisiana
43 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Melvin Johnson Defensive back Kentucky
44 New Orleans Saints Ray Zellars Running back Notre Dame
45 Buffalo Bills Todd Collins Quarterback Michigan
46 Dallas Cowboys Sherman Williams Running back Alabama
47 Arizona Cardinals Frank Sanders Wide receiver Auburn
48 Indianapolis Colts Ken Dilger Tight end Illinois
49 Los Angeles Raiders Barret Robbins Center Texas Christian
50 Philadelphia Eagles Bobby Taylor Defensive back Notre Dame
51 San Diego Chargers Terrell Fletcher Running back Wisconsin
52 Chicago Bears Patrick Riley Defensive tackle Miami (FL)
53 Miami Dolphins Andrew Greene Guard Indiana
54 New York Giants Scott Gragg Tackle Montana
55 Minnesota Vikings Corey Fuller Defensive back Florida State
56 Chicago Bears Todd Sauerbrun Punter West Virginia
57 New England Patriots Ted Johnson Linebacker Colorado
58 Philadelphia Eagles Barrett Brooks Tackle Kansas State
59 Dallas Cowboys Kendell Watkins Tight end Mississippi State
60 Pittsburgh Steelers Kordell Stewart Quarterback Colorado
61 San Diego Chargers Jimmy Oliver Wide receiver Texas Christian
62 St. Louis Rams Jesse James Guard Mississippi State
63 Dallas Cowboys Shane Hannah Guard Michigan State
64 Jacksonville Jaguars Bryan Schwartz Linebacker Augustana (IL)

Yikes. I guess that disqualifies the Jenkins draft as a starting point.

Frankie
06-22-2008, 08:10 AM
What if Ed McCaffery didn't get lucky down the middle for a 48 yard gain early in the 2nd half of a playoff game in Arrowhead stadium back in 98?

Another good event to start from.

Skip Towne
06-22-2008, 09:02 AM

:LOL: Stupid n00bs

milkman
06-22-2008, 09:17 AM
What if Don Meridith had signed with the Texans?

What if Gale Sayers had signed with the Chiefs?

Dave Lane
06-22-2008, 11:14 AM

Got to give you that one!

Dave

:)

Pasta Little Brioni
06-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Yikes. I guess that disqualifies the Jenkins draft as a starting point.

I think alot of teams fans are thinking what if about that draft. Not alot of good players to choose from that year. TONS of busts.

jjchieffan
06-22-2008, 02:50 PM
What if, in 1994, instead of taking Greg Hill, we took Isaac Bruce. Montana to Bruce would have been spectacular.

06-22-2008, 02:57 PM
What if Carl Peterson had never been hired by the Chiefs?

I like that dream.

jjchieffan
06-22-2008, 05:14 PM
How about this for a what if. Instead of trading for Trent Green, we used those first 2 picks to select Drew Brees and Kris Jenkins? We would have developed our own QB, and filled a DT position, hopefully causing us to not waste a pick on Ryan Simms. Just look at the players that went after Simms in that draft.

Ryan Sims Defensive Tackle North Carolina
7 Minnesota Vikings Bryant McKinnie Tackle Miami (FL)
8 Dallas Cowboys (from Kansas City) Roy Williams Free Safety Oklahoma
9 Jacksonville Jaguars John Henderson Defensive Tackle Tennessee
10 Cincinnati Bengals Levi Jones Tackle Arizona State
11 Indianapolis Colts Dwight Freeney Defensive End Syracuse
12 Arizona Cardinals Wendell Bryant Defensive Tackle Wisconsin
13 New Orleans Saints Donté Stallworth Wide Receiver Tennessee
14 New York Giants (from Tennessee) Jeremy Shockey Tight End Miami (FL)
15 Tennessee Titans (from N.Y. Giants) Albert Haynesworth Defensive Tackle Tennessee
16 Cleveland Browns [I] William Green Running Back Boston College
17 Oakland Raiders (from Atlanta) Phillip Buchanon Cornerback Miami (FL)
18 Atlanta Falcons (from Washington through Oakland) T. J. Duckett Running Back Michigan State
19 Denver Broncos Ashley Lelie Wide Receiver Hawaii
20 Green Bay Packers (from Seattle) Javon Walker Wide Receiver Florida State
21 New England Patriots (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) Daniel Graham Tight End Colorado
22 New York Jets Bryan Thomas Defensive End UAB
23 Oakland Raiders Napoleon Harris Linebacker Northwestern
24 Baltimore Ravens Ed Reed Strong Safety Miami (FL)
25 New Orleans Saints (from Miami) Charles Grant Defensive End Georgia
26 Philadelphia Eagles Lito Sheppard Cornerback

Pasta Little Brioni
06-22-2008, 05:21 PM
JJ...that would have been a heck of a haul if they had done that instead. Instead of sims and siavii...could have had jenkins and henderson :mad:

jjchieffan
06-22-2008, 05:33 PM
So lets do this. We never hired Vermeil, so we have that draft choice back. With no Vermeil, we never trade for Green. Who was our coach, and who did we draft with those picks? Sounds like a good start point to me. Aargh. What say ye matees? All in favor say aye. Opposed, nay. That is, if Frankie approves of course. After all this is his thread.

Frankie
06-22-2008, 10:47 PM
What if, in 1994, instead of taking Greg Hill, we took Isaac Bruce. Montana to Bruce would have been spectacular.

Good one.

Frankie
06-22-2008, 10:51 PM
So lets do this. We never hired Vermeil, so we have that draft choice back. With no Vermeil, we never trade for Green. Who was our coach, and who did we draft with those picks? Sounds like a good start point to me. Aargh. What say ye matees? All in favor say aye. Opposed, nay. That is, if Frankie approves of course. After all this is his thread.

Sounds good to me. Put it to vote. If it passes, lets keep in mind that, if not for Carls hard on for Vermeil, Gunther would not have been fired that year. Should we start with the Chiefs retaining Gun as HC at least for one more year?

alanm
06-22-2008, 10:56 PM
What if Joe Montana had been able to finish the game versus Buffalo in the '93 playoffs?

I remember the OT game versus the Steelers and the great game against the Oilers, but like Joe, I'm a little foggy on the Bills game. I know it ended up not even being close, but what was the score when Joe left the game?

Er, nm, Google before posting...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Kansas_City_Chiefs_season
... it was 20-6, so maybe not. :shrug:
Buffalo was kicking their asses on both sides of the ball. Montana was having a shitty game and got hurt before the half. And they pulled DT because he was getting his ass handed to him.
Thanks for making me remember this game.4321:cuss::D

chiefs1111
06-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Just look at the players that went after Simms in that draft.

Ryan Sims Defensive Tackle North Carolina
7 Minnesota Vikings Bryant McKinnie Tackle Miami (FL)
8 Dallas Cowboys (from Kansas City) Roy Williams Free Safety Oklahoma
9 Jacksonville Jaguars John Henderson Defensive Tackle Tennessee
10 Cincinnati Bengals Levi Jones Tackle Arizona State
11 Indianapolis Colts Dwight Freeney Defensive End Syracuse
12 Arizona Cardinals Wendell Bryant Defensive Tackle Wisconsin
13 New Orleans Saints Donté Stallworth Wide Receiver Tennessee
14 New York Giants (from Tennessee) Jeremy Shockey Tight End Miami (FL)
15 Tennessee Titans (from N.Y. Giants) Albert Haynesworth Defensive Tackle Tennessee
16 Cleveland Browns [i] William Green Running Back Boston College
17 Oakland Raiders (from Atlanta) Phillip Buchanon Cornerback Miami (FL)
18 Atlanta Falcons (from Washington through Oakland) T. J. Duckett Running Back Michigan State
19 Denver Broncos Ashley Lelie Wide Receiver Hawaii
20 Green Bay Packers (from Seattle) Javon Walker Wide Receiver Florida State
21 New England Patriots (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) Daniel Graham Tight End Colorado
22 New York Jets Bryan Thomas Defensive End UAB
23 Oakland Raiders Napoleon Harris Linebacker Northwestern
24 Baltimore Ravens Ed Reed Strong Safety Miami (FL)
25 New Orleans Saints (from Miami) Charles Grant Defensive End Georgia
26 Philadelphia Eagles Lito Sheppard Cornerback

I know what you mean,all I can do is shake my head... Its just best not to think about such things...... every time i do i get a bad head ache..