PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Where do you go for good Chinese food in KC?

Fishpicker
06-22-2008, 08:48 PM
what are the best Chinese restaurants in KC? Topeka? Salina?

In Wichita, the best place is Yen Chings on Rock Rd near Central. There are some good Pho noodle shops on N. Broadway too.

Junction City has crappy Chinese food but there some really good Korean BBQ shops. Pusan diner and Korean Gardens both have good Bul Go Gi. Pusan has good Yaki Mandu, Kimchi, and Honey-garlic chicken wings too.

The only edible Chinese food in Manhattan is Hunam Hut.

StcChief
06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
where their are still cats running loose around the neighborhood... it's gonna be an ok place :D

BWillie
06-22-2008, 08:50 PM
What ever you do, you must say no to the BLT. Trust me on this one. Say no to the BLT

RustShack
06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
The Ground Round. Well actually I don't know if they have one in KC, and now that I think of it they don't have any chinese.

|Zach|
06-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Bo Lings.

Game over.

Dartgod
06-22-2008, 09:19 PM
There's a place at 119th & Roe that my wife and I go to. It's called Golden Leaf. It consistently kicks ass. Better than Bo Lings, IMO.

ChiefsCountry
06-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Springfield is about every corner.

buddha
06-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Springfield is about every corner.

I'm from there and let there be no confusion that Springfield Cashew Chicken is remotely Chinese. I know they find Chinese folks to work there, but it's 100% Greene County. And while I love, "Sancho, Enchilada Style" at Comida, it is about as Mexican as Queen Elizabeth. :p

wutamess
06-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Happy Dragon - 103rd & State Line. (Behind Applebees & next to Price Chopper)
Mama China - 66th & Raytown Road.
Mandarin 93rd & Blue Ridge.

In that order.

KCUnited
06-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Not Chinese, but Arun kicks Bo Ling's ass in every aspect of flavor. Lulu's for noodles, dumplings and such.

phisherman
06-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Happy Dragon - 103rd & State Line. (Behind Applebees & next to Price Chopper)
Mama China - 66th & Raytown Road.
Mandarin 93rd & Blue Ridge.

In that order.

i'd watch out for these picks. roger took us to happy dragon once for lunch, yuck! terrible, i'll never go back. ROFL

Redrum_69
06-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Fort Scott, KS

and its good food...

the place is called HOT WOK

KCUnited
06-23-2008, 08:19 AM
I haven't had it, but my coworkers continually talk up Pei Wei in Olathe.

sedated
06-23-2008, 08:28 AM
I used to like Bo Lings, but it seems so generic now.

Golden Leaf is pretty good.

I generally stick to Thai.

sedated
06-23-2008, 08:30 AM
my coworkers continually talk up Pei Wei in Olathe.

ugh, that place is crap. barely a step up from a drive thru.

Deberg_1990
06-23-2008, 08:34 AM
I had Mongolian at BD's in Independece last year. It was pretty good.

tooge
06-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Lulu's downtown is more Thai, but it is very good, probably my favorite. I go to a chinese place in Liberty called Kam Cheng. I was talking to the owner one night about how I lived over in Japan for a while and couldn't find authentic Japanese food anywhere. He told me that the "chinese" food they serve is very Americanized and if I wanted something more authentic to call ahead and he would put something together for me to try. He said all the "chinese" places in this area are the same way because most Americans taste wouldn't favor traditional chinese. In a nutshell, most of them taste the same.

wutamess
06-23-2008, 09:00 AM
i'd watch out for these picks. roger took us to happy dragon once for lunch, yuck! terrible, i'll never go back. ROFL

So says the guy that said he liked it at the time.
~I didn't put my feet on Eddie's couch [/R. James]

Fish
06-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Lulu's downtown is more Thai, but it is very good, probably my favorite. I go to a chinese place in Liberty called Kam Cheng. I was talking to the owner one night about how I lived over in Japan for a while and couldn't find authentic Japanese food anywhere. He told me that the "chinese" food they serve is very Americanized and if I wanted something more authentic to call ahead and he would put something together for me to try. He said all the "chinese" places in this area are the same way because most Americans taste wouldn't favor traditional chinese. In a nutshell, most of them taste the same.

If you want some good Japanese, including some of the best sushi in town, try Jun's at 7660 State Line.

Excellent Japanese.

Fire Me Boy!
06-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Kin Lin at 50th and Main or thereabouts. I like them a lot - however, their take out isn't very good. Better to eat in. They might have the best fried wontons on the planet.

Fishpicker
06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Golden Leaf is right by where i am headed for an appointment. I'm going to try that one today.

memyselfI
06-23-2008, 09:25 AM
WoknRoll Express in OP. Cheap Chinese takeout that rocks.

Pine & Bamboo Garden in Shawnee. Outstanding.

Adept Havelock
06-23-2008, 09:32 AM
In KC, I'm fond of:

New Peking (in Westport, by Manor Square)
Princess Gardens (89th and Wornall)
Bo Lings

I was also pleased with Blue Koi on 39th St. Mainly noodle dishes, but good IMO.

HC_Chief
06-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Blue Koi is the best in town, followed by Bo Ling's and Fortune Wok.

@ Blue Koi order the spicy blackbean w/ chicken & tofu; be sure to replace the rice with egg noodles. It is outstanding.

Dartgod
06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Golden Leaf is right by where i am headed for an appointment. I'm going to try that one today.
Let me know how you like it. I usually get the Kung Pao Chicken (George likes his chicken spicy!) or the Shrimp and Chicken Hunan Style.

Adept Havelock
06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Blue Koi is the best in town, followed by Bo Ling's and Fortune Wok.

@ Blue Koi order the spicy blackbean w/ chicken & tofu; be sure to replace the rice with egg noodles. It is outstanding.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it next time I'm there.

Silock
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
In Olathe:

Tea Garden @ 127th and Mur-Len/Strangline, next to the Pizza Hut

Good chinese, cheap and very fast on the takeout. Usually ready in 5 minutes.

dirk digler
06-23-2008, 01:48 PM
I think Bo Lings is ok but what are some of the best Chinese buffets around? I tried the one in OP on 95th and Metcalf and it was average at best.

Extra Point
06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
There's a nice little place that's near the Sheridan's at 75 & Metcalf. No booze, just good eats at a decent price.

angelo
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Chinese
Bo-lings on the plaza (sat-sun dim sum is excellent) They have a Hong Kong menu on their website that is authentic chinese. Order carefully for novices.

Jenny's I think is the name of a place at 91st and metcalf weird hours. It is where the chinese people in Kc eat.

Pine and Bamboo Garden go for dim sum only
Golden leaf is good.
New Peking is good
Gengis Khan on I think 87th and quivira had a whole duck in a clay pot that was beautiful.

Vietnamese
Saigon 39

Thai
Thai place
Thai 2000

Japanese

Sushi/Sashimi
Kaiyo IMO Best in 200 Mile Radius David and Karen (owners) do a great job.
Sashimi is always incredibly fresh

I am always looking for a good Teppan Yaki (Japanese Steak House) Restaurant

Juns I feel is slipping they used to be my favorite.

Korean
Choga
Chosun
Four winds
IMO all are just average.

petegz28
06-23-2008, 02:17 PM
China Palace on 119th and 69 hwy next to Tanner's. Best Chinese food in KC.

dirk digler
06-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Japanese

I am always looking for a good Teppan Yaki (Japanese Steak House) Restaurant

My favorite place is Nikko's in the OP Marriott. They have the best fried rice in the world.

Stewie
06-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Dragon Inn - Downtown Overland Park

stlchiefs
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
What ever you do, you must say no to the BLT. Trust me on this one. Say no to the BLT

Why? Chinese and BLTs go together like lamb and tuna feesh. What, maybe you prefer spaghetti and meatball?

Reaper16
06-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Blue Koi is my favorite chinese place in KC. Great little noodle place. It's also an excellent choice for vegetarians.

Bo Lings is awesome for dim sum, or especially if you ask for the more traditional menu :) (There is one, trust me).

Just throwing out a Japanese rec: One Bite in OP. It's essentially a straight-up Izakaya, which for the uninitiated, is a place for savory food to eat while drinking. You could say that its a Japanese style tapas place.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I like Pine and Bamboo Garden on Shawnee Mission and Dragon's Inn in old OP, but they're sentimetal faves as opposed to 'best evah'. I also like Bo Lings for Dim Sum on Sundays. I used to go to North China on Broadway (40th or so) for their Fried Dumplings, just right for my tastebuds, but it's been a while so take that with a grain of MSG. They had good pork lo mein, too.

I'll also tout the little Japanese grill and bar 'One Bite' at 134th or so and Antioch, behind Sams on 135th. No sushi, it's a grill, and the food is killer good. Everything I've had is fab-yew-less. It's tiny, gets really crowded on weekends. Sunday they have a great Tempura special. It's Japanase 'tapas', a lot of flavorful food 'small plates' to share over a cocktail or a brewski. Go with a friend or 2 and share.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Bo Lings is awesome for dim sum, or especially if you ask for the more traditional menu :) (There is one, trust me).

Just throwing out a Japanese rec: One Bite in OP. It's essentially a straight-up Izakaya, which for the uninitiated, is a place for savory food to eat while drinking. You could say that its a Japanese style tapas place.

Yeah, what he said!

Fishpicker
06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Let me know how you like it. I usually get the Kung Pao Chicken (George likes his chicken spicy!) or the Shrimp and Chicken Hunan Style.

I loved it. great recommendation BTW. I had the Three-ingredient dish; Chicken, shrimp, & beef in brown sauce with veggies. Golden Leaf has some great food and it is fresh. The sugar snap peas still had some snap, the carrots & broccoli were very fresh and crispy. The meat was as tender as I have ever eaten.

I was kind of worried when I saw the modest store-front. The interior has good ambiance and is very clean. I want to try some Bo Lings for the sake of comparison but Golden Leaf is awesome.

homey
06-23-2008, 06:27 PM
i will also nominate blue koi as the best.

on the obscure tip, there's a place in lenexa on 87th before pflum called samurai teriyaki. you would normally just drive right by it, but it is damn good. **** that buffet shit.

Dartgod
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
I loved it. great recommendation BTW. I had the Three-ingredient dish; Chicken, shrimp, & beef in brown sauce with veggies. Golden Leaf has some great food and it is fresh. The sugar snap peas still had some snap, the carrots & broccoli were very fresh and crispy. The meat was as tender as I have ever eaten.

I was kind of worried when I saw the modest store-front. The interior has good ambiance and is very clean. I want to try some Bo Lings for the sake of comparison but Golden Leaf is awesome.
Glad you liked it. It's been awhile since we have been there. I'll have to see if the wifey wants to go to lunch there tomorrow.

evolve27
08-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Anyone know of a good buffet place in KC? I need comfort food, and the buffet does the trick. The Olympics have given me the Chinese fever as well:).

sedated
08-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Anyone know of a good buffet place that is relatively inexpensive? I need comfort food, and the buffet does the trick. The Olympics have given me the Chinese fever as well:).

you want to eat cheap chinese? spend 15 minutes at 12th and prospect.

evolve27
08-26-2008, 08:20 PM
you want to eat cheap chinese? spend 15 minutes at 12th and prospect.

Let me correct my post, I wasn't speaking of Syphilis.

luv
08-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Springfield, MO.

eazyb81
08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
God I miss Bo Ling's. Nashville doesn't have a Chinese place that comes close to the wonder that is Bo Ling's. I hate you KC residents right now.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Bo Lings.

Game over.

Seconded. I went here in 2006 and it was fantastic. So fantastic my board name was Go Ling's for about a week.

evolve27
08-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Springfield, MO.

I went to the Thai Place or Thai House(can't remember the exact name) in Springfield off of National and Sunshine I think. It had good ratings but the meal was "okay", nothing spectacular. Springfield cashew chicken is the bomb I hear. Blue Koi in KC is awesome, but it's dishes.

luv
08-26-2008, 08:23 PM
I went to the Thai Place or Thai House(can't remember the exact name) in Springfield off of National and Sunshine I think. It had good ratings but the meal was "okay", nothing spectacular. Springfield cashew chicken is the bomb I hear.

I've never had Thai food. I was talking about Chinese. Yes, Springfield style cashew chicken is "da bomb".

DRU
08-26-2008, 09:43 PM
if you like shrimp go to Red Snapper and get the Sweet Chili Glazed Shrimp. OMG I must have some now!

8430 Ward Parkway Plz
Kansas City, MO 64114

The rest of their stuff is also very good.

stanleychief
08-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Dragon Inn - Downtown Overland Park
Damn straight!

So it really comes down to categories of Oriental food. I probably eat some form of asian food once a week especially near downtown. Here's how I rank/rate them.

Thai
------
Thai Place on 64th Street & I-29 - Thicker, richer taste. Ordering medium spiciness is very HOT compared to other thai resturants!
Arun's Thai Place - Nice, fresh tasting Thai. You can seemingly taste each ingredient. It's not like buffet chinese where meat/veggies have been stewing in some sauce all day long.

Vietnamese
---------------
Vietnam Cafe - Great fresh, cheap vietnamese. Recommend the Bun Ga Nuong. Large portion sizes. Scary looking restaurant, but food quality and service is good!
Saigon 39 - Is this place still cash only or did they start taking CCs? Anyways, it's good, but has a more 'oily' taste than other vietnamese restaurants
Sung Son - In Westport.. recently switched to a lunch buffet. Kind of pricey, but all you can eat fried vietnamese egg rolls.. YUM! Good food quality.

'Fancy' Chinese / Asian Fusion
---------------------------------------
Blue Koi - My favorite of the favorites. Every single dish I've had I have loved, from the Chinese Pot Roast to Ants on a Tree. Dumplings are awesome too and they even have a way of making tofu edible! (awesome sauce please!) Blue Koi is somewhat pricey but always worth it.
Bo Lings - Great traditional chinese style food. I only say this because whenever I think of what most americans think of chinese I picture thick, sweet, heavily sauced dishes. Bo Ling's dishes aren't quite as thick in most cases, but are very, very rich on flavor. Fairly pricey, but also worth it.
Red Snapper - House Beef.. 'nuff said. Try it, you'll love it. It's made with filet mignion. Their other dishes are good too, such as Red Curry Chicken, but house beef should be a requirement for first time diners.
Pei Wei - Owned by Bo Lings. Not sure why anyone wouldn't like this place unless they are looking for 'traditional' chinese which you really won't find here. Much cheaper than Bo Lings and they serve vietnamese style spring rolls.

'Traditional' Chinese
--------------------------
Dragon Inn - My all time favorite for traditional chinese. I wish they were closer to where I live. If you're a fan of hot and sour soup, you'll know that you either get two types: good soup, and god awful bad soup. Dragon Inn is the benchmark. Favorite dish there is Empress Chicken, and I'm not a fan of that dish at any other restaurant.
Red Dragon - Cheap eats in downtown KC. Not the best by any means, but it's decent and very inexpensive.
Ma Ma China - Pretty good for a buffet, cheap.

Also, someone mentioned Niko's in Overland Park. We had a great time there and the food was very good. I probably had 4 or 5 beers by the time we ate though, so I may be biased :)

BWillie
08-27-2008, 12:38 AM
I just got a flyer at work for New Fortune at 1103 E Santa Fe in Olathe. Very cheap food and they deliver. Says there is no minimum order. Looks like me and the chinese delivery guy are going to have quite a friendship over the next two years. Maybe I can teach him how to read.

angelo
08-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Blue Koi used to be quite good but The last 2 times that i have tried them their dumpling's are different.

I think they are buying them now.

The food quality has gone down.

Sadly the quality at Bo Lings has been slipping also I talked to the Manager the last time I was in for dim sum and they had just rotated cooks.

On an interesting note the Chinese restaurants that serve Dim Sum have different Chef's just for the Dim Sum.

Ang

MVChiefFan
08-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Help me out on the Vietnamese food. There's a place or two here in Springfield I'd like to try but I'm not sure what it's like. Does it compare more to chinese or japanese or is it all it's own flavor.

Demonpenz
08-27-2008, 08:36 AM
I have never had vietnamease but I assume it's safe to say there isn't going to be a scene from deer hunter in the back...no?

tooge
08-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Vietnamese tends to be fresher ingredients and much lighter on sauces. many of the dishes are soup or soup, noodle, and veggie type dishes. Very good though. the spring rolls are usually incredible if they are authentically prepared.

MVChiefFan
08-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Vietnamese tends to be fresher ingredients and much lighter on sauces. many of the dishes are soup or soup, noodle, and veggie type dishes. Very good though. the spring rolls are usually incredible if they are authentically prepared.

Thanks tooge! I think the wife and I will try it this week.

Chief_in_Commander
08-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Best chinese food close to me is Mama's Kitchen (used to be fookee's) Near the Antioch Mall

SCTrojan
08-27-2008, 09:57 AM
For a quick, cheap alternative, I used to go to the Hen House on 87th and Lackman in Lenexa.

KCUnited
08-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, Vinh Hoa N. of the river just closed. They were the only Vietnamese restaurant in the city that I found that served Banh Mi, a Vietnamese sandwich made from a baguette, fresh veg, and various meats. Very good if you ever get the chance to eat one.

Hien Vuong in the City Market has decent Vietnamese as well.

keg in kc
08-27-2008, 10:02 AM
My little neighborhood place, Chinese Palace in Highland Plaza, Overland Park (119th and 69 highway). Really good food.

There's a thai place across 119th street from where I live, but I haven't been there in the 5 years I've lived here for whatever reason. I used to love thai food.

patteeu
08-27-2008, 10:49 AM
My little neighborhood place, Chinese Palace in Highland Plaza, Overland Park (119th and 69 highway). Really good food.

I'll vouch for that place too. I used to eat lunch there fairly regularly when I worked down in Overland Park.

North of the river, I recommend a place called North Bowl at the corner of Chouteau Trafficway and Vivion Rd (across the street from Antioch Mall).

DaKCMan AP
08-27-2008, 11:28 AM
They have ethnic food in the Midwest? :p

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
They have ethnic food in the Midwest? :p
Yes. Depending on each city's composition of ethnicity, there is damn god ethnic eats to be found in the midwest.

KC is incredibly underrated as a food town. It's in the top 10 (but not top 5) in the U.S., imo.

tooge
08-27-2008, 12:21 PM
By the way guys any chinese place that also serves fried chicken (not the chinese type), pizza, sushi (california rolls anyway), jello, a salad bar, or any kind of traditional pasta dish just somply aint chinese and sucks. That covers just about any of the large buffets (mama's place) in the city. Sorry, but those places all have the same general recipe for brown sauce (ala general tso's chicken), white sauce, and soup. If you want that crap, save your money and go to HyVee, they have the same stuff.

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
By the way guys any chinese place that also serves fried chicken (not the chinese type), pizza, sushi (california rolls anyway), jello, a salad bar, or any kind of traditional pasta dish just somply aint chinese and sucks. That covers just about any of the large buffets (mama's place) in the city. Sorry, but those places all have the same general recipe for brown sauce (ala general tso's chicken), white sauce, and soup. If you want that crap, save your money and go to HyVee, they have the same stuff.
Hy-Vee is much better quality for that whole Americanized Cantonese thing anyway.

tooge
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Hy-Vee is much better quality for that whole Americanized Cantonese thing anyway.

yeah, I dont think they have jello with it either

Jilly
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't know the name, but it's Golden something..Golden House? I call it Robert's because that's the owner's name..it's by the Salty Iguana on 40hwy in Independence between Lees Summit Rd and 291. It's awesome. He makes his crab rangoon fresh every day and it is to die for.

DaKCMan AP
08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes. Depending on each city's composition of ethnicity, there is damn god ethnic eats to be found in the midwest.

KC is incredibly underrated as a food town. It's in the top 10 (but not top 5) in the U.S., imo.

What would be your top 5, top 10? I'd probably go NY, SF, LA, Chi, Miami (not in that order).

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 12:57 PM
What would be your top 5, top 10? I'd probably go NY, SF, LA, Chi, Miami (not in that order).
My top 5 would be (in no particular order):
NY
LA
San Fran
Chicago
New Orleans

Demonpenz
08-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I always walk into chinease buffets with cargo pants on. Stuff those things full over crab ragoon baby. HMMMMMMMM

tooge
08-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't put KC in the top 30. NY, LA, CHI, NO, SF, and then about 20 or more coastal cities that get fresh seafood daily, like Miami, SD, Seattle, and all over both coasts. For where we are though, we do pretty well here in KC

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't put KC in the top 30. NY, LA, CHI, NO, SF, and then about 20 or more coastal cities that get fresh seafood daily, like Miami, SD, Seattle, and all over both coasts. For where we are though, we do pretty well here in KC
Seafood is definitely a weakness, yeah. But KC is smack-dab in the middle of the continent, so that's to be expected. The freshwater fish in the area are not to be underestimated, however; KC chefs sure know this.

I would absolutely defend KC being in the 9-10 slot of a top 10 U.S. food cities list. Hell, Bluestem alone puts it in the top 30. KC has some of the very best haute cuisine places in the midwest (Bluestem, Justus Drugstore) with others that are very-good-but-not-elite. It has the reknowned steakhouse scene, chocolatiers such as Christopher Elbow doing exciting things, a small number of excellent ethnic places (Blue Nile, anyone? Habashi House, One Bite, etc.), a vibrant farmer's market scene (access to plenty of great midwestern produce), a great coffee scene with The Roasterie, and even smaller coffeehouses like Espresso dell'Anatra, Boulevard Brewing Co., indigenous American cuisine places like Strouds that serve quality stuff, etc.

Add that in to the fact that KC is the world's best barbecue city and you've got yourself one Hell of a food town, all things considered.

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm back in Maryville, so some one needs to go eat at Mandarinism, in Leawood: http://www.themandarinism.com/home

Feruzza's review in The Pitch today ( http://www.pitch.com/2008-08-28/restaurants/in-mandarinism-scott-lin-has-found-a-new-way-to-understand-chinese-food/ ) was tremendously positive.

Demonpenz
08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
memphis has the best bbq. you loose good day sir

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
memphis has the best bbq. you loose good day sir
ROFFLES

On a serious note, my pick for 2nd best barbecue city in the world?

Mexico City.

Kerberos
08-27-2008, 05:30 PM
what are the best Chinese restaurants in KC? Topeka? Salina?

In Wichita, the best place is Yen Chings on Rock Rd near Central. There are some good Pho noodle shops on N. Broadway too.

Junction City has crappy Chinese food but there some really good Korean BBQ shops. Pusan diner and Korean Gardens both have good Bul Go Gi. Pusan has good Yaki Mandu, Kimchi, and Honey-garlic chicken wings too.

The only edible Chinese food in Manhattan is Hunam Hut.

Did you happen to try Peking in Junction City? As far as "Chinese Food" in JC it is probably the best. Been around for as long as I can remember. Family run and pretty good food last time I ate there.

Reaper16
08-28-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm back in Maryville, so some one needs to go eat at Mandarinism, in Leawood: http://www.themandarinism.com/home

Feruzza's review in The Pitch today ( http://www.pitch.com/2008-08-28/restaurants/in-mandarinism-scott-lin-has-found-a-new-way-to-understand-chinese-food/ ) was tremendously positive.
Lauren Chapin of the Star also reviewed Mandarinism today: http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/story/768953.html

Someone please get out to Leawood and eat there. I need to know more.

keg in kc
08-28-2008, 03:07 PM
ROFFLES

On a serious note, my pick for 2nd best barbecue city in the world?

Mexico City.Their mexican food leaves a little to be desired, though. Just not authentic enough.

Reaper16
08-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Their mexican food leaves a little to be desired, though. Just not authentic enough.
Yeah, really. I ordered a chalupa once, and what they gave me looked nothing like a deep-fried taco. What gives?

Stewie
08-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I travel quite a bit for my job and I must say the city doesn't make the restaurant. One of the most memorable meals I've ever eaten was in Rochester, MN. We were at the Mayo Clinic doing some R&D and asked where to eat for dinner. The consensus among the Mayo nurses was City Cafe. We went there and it was a rather trendy place in a rustic brick building. I ordered fresh wild salmon (yep, it was fresh... what do you think is in the cargo hold of airplanes when flying SF/Seattle to wherever... on ice). It was done with an Asian twist with peanut sauce and veggies. It was unbelievable to me to eat a meal like that in a little restaurant in Rochester.

Fishpicker
08-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Did you happen to try Peking in Junction City? As far as "Chinese Food" in JC it is probably the best. Been around for as long as I can remember. Family run and pretty good food last time I ate there.

Peking Palace? I've eaten there about a dozen times. they have really good food when they do it right but, I think they are wildly inconsistent. or maybe they had new cooks on those days that I had bad meals. I have noticed that the food was best when I went to eat during peak hours. The bad meals I had were when I went there after the lunch/dinner rush.