PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports 2008 Mens Olympic Basketball "Dream Team" chosen

Deberg_1990
06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Player Position Height Weight Team
Carmelo Anthony Forward 6-8 230 Nuggets
Carlos Boozer Forward 6-9 258 Jazz
Chris Bosh Forward 6-10 230 Raptors
Kobe Bryant Guard 6-6 220 Lakers
Dwight Howard Center 6-11 265 Magic
LeBron James Forward 6-8 240 Cavaliers
Jason Kidd Guard 6-4 212 Mavericks
Chris Paul Guard 6-0 170 Hornets
Tayshaun Prince Forward 6-9 205 Pistons
Michael Redd Guard 6-6 215 Bucks
Dwyane Wade Guard 6-4 212 Heat
Deron Williams Guard 6-3 205 Jazz

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/more/06/23/olympic.team.ap/index.html

Will they bring home the Gold??

KCUnited
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
So proud.

SPATCH
06-23-2008, 03:10 PM
not a lot of bigs on that roster... can't believe amare stoudamire declined

StcChief
06-23-2008, 03:13 PM
real question is how much ball hogging will Kobe do

BigVE
06-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Only one guy over 6'9? It would be better with Garnett but this is one heck of a team.

CupidStunt
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Only one guy over 6'9? It would be better with Garnett but this is one heck of a team.

Dwight Howard must have shrunk.

Logical
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Pretty weak at center, coaching will be important.

BigCatDaddy
06-23-2008, 03:23 PM
There was only 1 "Dream Team".

BigVE
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Dwight Howard must have shrunk.

Eh, he was the one I was counting...Bosh is not a center.

FAX
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
LOLROLORRLOLR

Watch us get smoked by Argentina.

FAX

SPATCH
06-23-2008, 03:31 PM
seriously though....

we've got to win gold. THIS IS OUR ****ING SPORT.

**** ARGENTINA
**** SPAIN
**** EVERY SLAVIC COUNTRY ON THE MAP

WE'RE RUNNIN THIS SHIT

RJ
06-23-2008, 03:45 PM
I'd still rather see the team be made up of college players. I rarely watch since the NBA got involved.

rambleonthruthefog
06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
real question is how much ball hogging will Kobe do

could care less as long as we bring home the gold.

Deberg_1990
06-23-2008, 04:42 PM
I'd still rather see the team be made up of college players. I rarely watch since the NBA got involved.

hehe

I heard a guy on the radio say today: "Id rather win the bronze with a team of college kids, than win the Gold with the NBA players"

WTF???

KCUnited
06-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Translation:

I'd rather see a group of guys that actually give a sh!t and lose.

Silock
06-23-2008, 04:56 PM

The international game is different. Coach K is no idiot.

As for them playing like they want to win, I think that's the key. I think Coach K can get them to do that. I think they're embarrassed about NOT winning gold and will put aside their egos to make it happen this time.

FAX
06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
The international game is definitely different. Those guys can actually make the medium jumper.

FAX

RJ
06-23-2008, 05:24 PM
hehe

I heard a guy on the radio say today: "Id rather win the bronze with a team of college kids, than win the Gold with the NBA players"

WTF???

I agree with that.

I loved the Olympic teams back in the 70's and 80's, win or lose. Those kids all wanted to be there and no one ever declined an offer to try out unless they were injured. Those guys weren't millionaires (yet) and some of them never would be. For most, making the Olympic team and playing for their country was their greatest athletic achievement to that point.

As disappointing and infuriating as it was, I've never been so moved by a basketball game as I was in 1972 when our kids lost to the Soviets. That was a nerve wracking and emotional contest and the emotion of our players really showed. It was simultaneously sports at its best and its worst. But I doubt it would have meant nearly as much to me had our players been pros. There was a great pride in seeing how our college kids dominated the rest of the world in those days, much more satifying than watching NBA players nonchalantly mopping the floors with inferior teams.

Like I said, I seldom watch those games, but that's just me. I'm sure most folks prefer to see the pros.

Ultra Peanut
06-23-2008, 05:27 PM
I'd still rather see the team be made up of college players.Why, so they could get smoked by the other countries' pros?

The competitive balance of the current state of international basketball is actually really interesting.

KCUnited
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Why, so they could get smoked by the other countries' pros?

The competitive balance of the current state of international basketball is actually really interesting.

Just like the Miracle On Ice? Now we're the giants to fuel another countries miracle. Oh wait, that's another hockey/basketball debate.

Silock
06-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Just like the Miracle On Ice? Now we're the giants to fuel another countries miracle. Oh wait, that's another hockey/basketball debate.

So many other countries have players in the NBA that it's not quite that bad of a disparity. Certainly, it will be an upset if USA doesn't win Gold, but when has that NOT been the case since we started playing pros?

KCUnited
06-23-2008, 05:40 PM
So many other countries have players in the NBA that it's not quite that bad of a disparity. Certainly, it will be an upset if USA doesn't win Gold, but when has that NOT been the case since we started playing pros?

I get that. I guess I'm always for the underdog and that's hard to do with what we throw out there and I'm patriotic as hell.

buddha
06-23-2008, 05:46 PM
It would be nice to see the USA field an actual "TEAM" this time around. It's been awhile since we've seen that in the Olympics in men's basketball. I don't care who is on the team...just have them practice together long enough to play team basketball.

Silock
06-23-2008, 06:06 PM
It would be nice to see the USA field an actual "TEAM" this time around. It's been awhile since we've seen that in the Olympics in men's basketball. I don't care who is on the team...just have them practice together long enough to play team basketball.

That's what they're doing now.

the Talking Can
06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
you have to hate basketball to enjoy watching a selfish, lazy piece of defenseless shit like Carmelo Anthony play.......

FAX
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm with you all the way on this, Mr. RJ. Give the college guys the Olympic experience and test their game. It would be far more enjoyable than watching a bunch of overpaid, thuggish, ball hogs dunk their way to an embarrassing bronze or worse.

FAX

Silock
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
you have to hate basketball to enjoy watching a selfish, lazy piece of defenseless shit like Carmelo Anthony play.......

Except Melo has been the STAR of Team USA basketball. By FAR the best performer.

Deberg_1990
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
nothing will ever top this team:

and they chose Laettner over Shaq. ROFL

CoMoChief
06-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Take out Prince Redd, and Boozer and put in Garnett, Duncan and Pierce

Then that team would be complete.

SPATCH
06-23-2008, 07:30 PM

yeah, but... including guys like boozer and redd as opposed to garnett and pierce is our attempt at fielding a team that is more acclimated to the "international style" of play.

this looks like a good team to me. melo is a beast when it comes to the international game.

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Dwayne Wade
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Chris Bosh
C: Dwight Howard

Direckshun
06-23-2008, 07:49 PM
I was wondering how long before Team USA decided that going small was going to be how we re-conquer the world. For years we've just tried to outbig them and that doesn't work too well in the international game.

Look at the small side of the lineup:

Chris Paul
Dwayne Wade
Kobe Bryant
Jason Kidd
Deron Williams

That is just absolutely sick penetration ability. This is how Team USA will reconquer the world.

the Talking Can
06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Except Melo has been the STAR of Team USA basketball. By FAR the best performer.

they finished 3rd....he scored a lot, just like in the NBA...but never wins a game that matters...

the Talking Can
06-23-2008, 08:30 PM
and if this team can't win a gold, we should just give up.....this team is fraking loaded

Psyko Tek
06-23-2008, 08:34 PM

said it was knee problems

I think he was just scared he was gonna have to defend somebody

chiefs1111
06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
and if this team can't win a gold, we should just give up.....this team is fraking loaded

I agree there is no reason what so ever why we shouldn't win the gold,but then again you never freaking know

banyon
06-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Actually I was thinking just the opposite. One of our biggest weaknesses in international play has been the lack of consistent outside shooting. We need one or two more guys like Redd. Ray Allen or Jason Kapono or Gilbert Arenas. The problem is that many of the best outside shooters (Stoyakavic, Nowitzski, Calderon, Turkgolu, Ginobli) al play for other teams.

L.A. Chieffan
06-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Actually I was thinking just the opposite. One of our biggest weaknesses in international play has been the lack of consistent outside shooting. We need one or two more guys like Redd. Ray Allen or Jason Kapono or Gilbert Arenas. The problem is that many of the best outside shooters (Stoyakavic, Nowitzski, Calderon, Turkgolu, Ginobli) al play for other teams.

No. Don't you know? Garnett and Pierce are the greatest players in the NBA right now. Haven't you heard?

banyon
06-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I was wondering how long before Team USA decided that going small was going to be how we re-conquer the world. For years we've just tried to outbig them and that doesn't work too well in the international game.

Look at the small side of the lineup:

Chris Paul
Dwayne Wade
Kobe Bryant
Jason Kidd
Deron Williams

That is just absolutely sick penetration ability. This is how Team USA will reconquer the world.

The internationals play zone and flop (a lot) and don't get the calls they're used to in the NBA. We had good slashers on past teams that lost (Iverson, Kidd, etc.)

banyon
06-23-2008, 08:51 PM
No. Don't you know? Garnett and Pierce are the greatest players in the NBA right now. Haven't you heard?

I think Garnett, his work ethic, heart and defense would be an asset. Pierce, probably not so much.

L.A. Chieffan
06-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I think Garnett, his work ethic, heart and defense would be an asset. Pierce, probably not so much.

Don't know if this is true or not but I heard that Garnetts emotional post-finals display was all concocted beforehand so as to be put in an Adidas commercial. Getting paid to act happy after winning? Nice.

banyon
06-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Don't know if this is true or not but I heard that Garnetts emotional post-finals display was all concocted beforehand so as to be put in an Adidas commercial. Getting paid to act happy after winning? Nice.

That's pretty weird. He's always been a guy to wear his emotions on his sleeve, so it wasn't really an unusual display or anything.

If Tim Duncan had done it, people probably would've fainted from shock.

Buehler445
06-23-2008, 09:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing. When we got third it was because they packed the lane and we couldn't hit anything.

SPATCH
06-23-2008, 09:24 PM
they finished 3rd....he scored a lot, just like in the NBA...but never wins a game that matters...

he was the star in the last FIBA tournament for the US (2007). and we won that shit handily.

that included two ass-whoopings against argentina.

the roster from that tournament and the current roster are nearly identical

Silock
06-23-2008, 09:28 PM

Because Pierce has none of those things, right?

Talk about putting a team on your shoulders and winning when it matters. Pierce would be a great addition, but it doesn't matter. This is the team we have.

Pitt Gorilla
06-23-2008, 09:37 PM

I don't like Boozer, but they are the right guys. Redd is perfect in that he's a pure shooter. Prince is a rangy defender, and Boozer plays well on the block. This is truly an outstanding team. Chris Paul will be fun to watch.

SPATCH
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Because Pierce has none of those things, right?

Talk about putting a team on your shoulders and winning when it matters. Pierce would be a great addition, but it doesn't matter. This is the team we have.

i disagree. idk if paul pierce has played a single game for the national team...

like i said earlier.. this team ran through the 2007 FIBA tournament, crushing every team they faced... this team knows how to win an international tournament

Ultra Peanut
06-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Don't know if this is true or not but I heard that Garnetts emotional post-finals display was all concocted beforehand so as to be put in an Adidas commercial. Getting paid to act happy after winning? Nice.That is retarded.

Silock
06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
i disagree. idk if paul pierce has played a single game for the national team...

like i said earlier.. this team ran through the 2007 FIBA tournament, crushing every team they faced... this team knows how to win an international tournament

I agree with you.

Basileus777
06-23-2008, 10:09 PM
While the lack of bigs is somewhat alarming, FIBA basketball isn't centered around post play. Rebounding will be the biggest concern there, especially since Melo is going to be playing at the 4 a lot.

Hopefully we have enough shooting. The zone defenses played by our competition make the regular NBA style of penetration centered basketball difficult to play.

BWillie
06-24-2008, 01:21 AM
All I can say is one of these guys isn't going to be starting: Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade. Somebody is going to be pissed. I say they bench Bryant. He'd be soooo poed. Guarantee you he'd throw a temper tantrum.

Either way, looks like they fielded a good team. When you have the top four players in the world on your team (1. Lebron James, 2. Kobe Bryant, 3. Chris Paul, 4. Dwight Howard) -- Yes I said Dwight ****ing Howard -- you should be fine.

What the hell is Jason Kidd on this team for? I think he might be in a wheelchair or need a walker by August. His time has passed.

Basileus777
06-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Jason Kidd is perfect for team USA. Did you watch the tournament last year? Kidd was excellent, one of the team's best players. He may have lost a step in the NBA game, but he is a great playmaker that everyone on the team looks up to. Plus his undefeated record (38-0) in international play is nothing to laugh at. He excels playing in these types of situations. His lack of scoring isn't a liability when you have a roster like this.

Kidd fits in perfect. Kobe, LeBron, and Dwight played very well off of Kidd, and is necessary when you have guys in at the same time that need to score to be effective (Kobe, LeBron). Kidd more so then any other player on this roster doesn't need to score to be effective. Kidd took what, 5 shots all of last summer? Plus he is a big guard and is able to handle the stronger international PGs.

His time has passed? He'll probably be starting.

Basileus777
06-24-2008, 01:44 AM
This is how the roster will probably turn out.

Kidd/Paul/Williams
Kobe/Wade/Redd
LeBron/Prince
Melo/Boozer
Dwight/Bosh

Anyone that thinks we shouldn't start Melo hasn't been watching Team USA basketball. Carmelo is probably our best FIBA player. Best at off-ball movement, best understanding of how to break zones, best mid-range game, outstanding interior offensive game, and ability to adjust to the physicality of FIBA play.

Chief Faithful
06-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Outside of Jason Kidd it looks like the all me me me team. I'm predicting a silver or bronze medal.

teedubya
06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
"Ah, Kobe-san, Tell me sah, tell me how my ass taste."

Direckshun
06-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Hell I think they should just put the Celtics out there.

bowener
06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
I dont follow NBA at all, but shouldnt Garnett be included, or did he decline or something??

bowener
06-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Maybe they should make that the new standard. if you win the Championship in an Olympic year your team automatically goes on to represent the US. Of course that would not have as much hype and jersey sales as would mixing a bunch of overpaid ball hogs.

Pitt Gorilla
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Outside of Jason Kidd it looks like the all me me me team. I'm predicting a silver or bronze medal.Honestly, that is a stupid statement. What about Chris Paul would cause someone to consider him a "me" player?

Silock
06-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Outside of Jason Kidd it looks like the all me me me team. I'm predicting a silver or bronze medal.

As was pointed out earlier, this is pretty much the same team that dismantled all competition in the previous FIBA tourney.

R&GHomer
06-24-2008, 03:48 PM
There was only 1 "Dream Team".

And he retired

acesn8s
06-24-2008, 03:54 PM
No Beasley? Rose? Or that white boy from UNC?

Ultra Peanut
06-25-2008, 05:56 AM
And he retiredReggie bless us. Every one of us.

http://i28.tinypic.com/vgosx0.jpg

Lzen
06-25-2008, 07:54 AM

http://www.sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg

Saulbadguy
06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Honestly, that is a stupid statement. What about Chris Paul would cause someone to consider him a "me" player?

How would any player that is representing their country in the Olympics be considered a "me" player?

Demonpenz
06-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Sweet nba live pic. For SNES you could rain three's all day with reggie in that game. It was a bit unfair at times especially when i hit 300 threes in a week

BIG_DADDY
06-25-2008, 10:42 AM

Douchebag

CoMoChief
06-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Reggie bless us. Every one of us.

Man you ain't kidding either. Reggie Miller and Mitch Richmond were the shit in NBA Live 96

CoMoChief
06-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Reggie bless us. Every one of us.

Man you ain't kidding either. Reggie Miller and Mitch Richmond were the shit in NBA Live 96.

I think I even see Spike Lee in the crowd LOL.

Swanman
06-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Honestly, that is a stupid statement. What about Chris Paul would cause someone to consider him a "me" player?

Also, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Deron Williams. Both Paul and Williams can score like crazy, but all 3 point guards are concerned first with distributing the rock and setting up guys to score.