PDA

View Full Version : KU Sasha Kaun signs 3 year deal with CSKA Moscow

CoMoChief
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmS9ahiJ3CefH3vdxGWUJUE5nYcB?slug=ys-draftbuzz062308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Russia must be desperate for players

Sasha Kaun signed a three-year contract with CSKA Moscow, according to the Russian team’s official website. Kaun could end up being the highest-paid player on the Kansas Jayhawk championship team because his salary will be similar to that of a late lottery pick next season. He has not shut the door on playing in the NBA down the road: He has a comfortable buyout after the second year of his contract, which may even make him more attractive to a team drafting in the late second round.

Also joining Kaun in Moscow is former Maryland power forward Terrence Morris, who landed a three-year contract for slightly more than 5 million Euros. CSKA is reportedly close to landing the signatures of both Zoran Planinic (to replace Theo Papaloukas) and Jorge Garbajosa (if he passes a physical).

StcChief
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
you go Comrad

BigVE
06-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Hmm. Good deal for him, he can hone his skills a bit more and get paid to do it instead of riding the pine and HOPING he stays on a team in the NBA. Good move.

Skip Towne
06-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Sasha must not suck.

CoMoChief
06-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Sasha must not suck.

That or Russia's basketball league is terrible.

I'll go with suggestion #2

SPATCH
06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
wow... they're really struggling with this capitalism thing

Ultra Peanut
06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Being a baller in Europe isn't a bad deal at all.

Well, if you're black it may suck sometimes in Russia and Eastern Europe. But Sasha's white and making pretty serious bank, so I think he's alright. Terrence Morris' $10 mil contract isn't too shabby, either.

noa
06-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Good for him.
Kaun was huge in the Davidson game. That alley oop with the foul was one of the best plays during KU's run.

hawkchief
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Spoken like a tigger fan that hasn't had a quality NBA player from his alma mater in his lifetime.

Bearcat
06-23-2008, 04:01 PM
So, who's in the early running for next year's player that you'll bash every chance you get on the team you root for? :rolleyes:

Great deal for Kaun. ESPN's mock has Chalmers going to the Kings at #12, Rush going to the Suns at #15, Arthur going to the Wizards at #18, and Darnell Jackson going to the Pistons at #59. They had Kaun going to the Celtics, which would have been cool.

noa
06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Great deal for Kaun. ESPN's mock has Chalmers going to the Kings at #12, Rush going to the Suns at #15, Arthur going to the Wizards at #18, and Darnell Jackson going to the Pistons at #59. They had Kaun going to the Celtics, which would have been cool.

Chalmers has really shot up there, not that its a mock draft is necessarily a reflection of how things will actually be. The first mock I saw had Arthur going the earliest (I think around #11 or #12), Rush going around #18, and Chalmers wasn't even in the first round.

Thig Lyfe
06-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Interesting move to not even wait for the draft, but it'll probably work out for the better. Plus, he gets to go home for at least a few years.

Fairplay
06-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Sasha will poise as a basketball player in real life going back to his fatherland Russia. However...

Secretly he actually is going back to investigate who killed his dad.:hmmm:

Ultra Peanut
06-23-2008, 04:26 PM
"My name is Sasha Kaun. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

ArrowheadHawk
06-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Sasha should develop nicely into a very good player. He has only been playing organized ball for 6 years now.

Bearcat
06-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Chalmers has really shot up there, not that its a mock draft is necessarily a reflection of how things will actually be. The first mock I saw had Arthur going the earliest (I think around #11 or #12), Rush going around #18, and Chalmers wasn't even in the first round.

I'd think Arthur would go first in the group, but I'm not a fan of the NBA so I don't pay much attention to the draft (I have absolutely no idea who the best flopper of the group would be ;) ). Obviously Mario had his moments, but Arthur really took his game to another level... in particular, the full-court sprint off a turnover against Memphis that ended in a Rush to Arthur dunk. I replayed that at least 10 times over the course of my 3 NC game viewings thinking holy crap, has he always been that fast? :eek:

Just one more year guys... :deevee:

Ultra Peanut
06-23-2008, 05:01 PM
World's smallest violin. Right here.

Fairplay
06-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Play The "Nimrod" if you please.

Bearcat
06-23-2008, 05:40 PM

Yeah, I didn't really mean that... just a moment of weakness. I've never been more okay watching players declare for the NBA. I'll be happy with anything next year as long as it's above the level of "worst record after winning a NC".

Braincase
06-23-2008, 05:53 PM

You're a complete dumbass. He's gonna pull money equivalent to a freakin' lottery pick, plus the endorsement deals he can get over there as A FREAKIN' HOMEGROWN SUPERSTAR will net him loot better than Arthur and Rush could hope for.

Skip Towne
06-23-2008, 05:58 PM
You're a complete dumbass. He's gonna pull money equivalent to a freakin' lottery pick, plus the endorsement deals he can get over there as A FREAKIN' HOMEGROWN SUPERSTAR will net him loot better than Arthur and Rush could hope for.

It's a waste of time to try to reason with him. He's a moron.

CoMoChief
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Spoken like a tigger fan that hasn't had a quality NBA player from his alma mater in his lifetime.

MU Tiger bball sucks......always has. I don't think I have ever said otherwise.

CoMoChief
06-23-2008, 06:16 PM

IT'S RUSSIAN BASKETBALL.

I need to explain no more.

Wreckloose
06-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Russia won the FIBA Europe Olympic qualifier.

Braincase
06-23-2008, 08:34 PM
IT'S RUSSIAN BASKETBALL.

I need to explain no more.

Yeah... more money, more playing time, a guaranteed contract and a hero's homecoming. What a loser.

jidar
06-23-2008, 09:10 PM
holy crap, that's awesome for Kaun.
Love seeing things work out for Hawks.

Basileus777
06-23-2008, 09:42 PM
With the NBA rookie pay scale, he's probably going to earn more on that contract than quite a few lottery picks. Too bad for him that he isn't going to get paid in Euros or he'd make even more with the way the dollar is dropping.

And CSKA Moscow isn't some scrub team, they're one of the best teams in the Euroleague.

little jacob
06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah... more money, more playing time, a guaranteed contract and a hero's homecoming. What a loser.

i wonder how this will affect the nba in the future, if it becomes financially lucrative for even more players to play overseas?

Basileus777
06-23-2008, 10:01 PM
i wonder how this will affect the nba in the future, if it becomes financially lucrative for even more players to play overseas?

It already has. Euro players like Tiago Splitter and Juan Carlos Navarro have decided to stay in Europe for more money rather than play in the NBA. Granted neither of these players are superstars, but they aren't scrub level talent. The NBA rookie scale and the dropping value of the dollar is making it more lucrative for some European players to remain home. Its probably a trend that will continue, especially as the Euroleague becomes more competitive and has more money to spend. We might see more mid-level talent chose to play in Europe over the NBA.

CoMoChief
06-24-2008, 03:51 AM

I'm not saying he made a wrong decision. I'm saying the level of basketball over there isn't close to what it is here. He's gonna make millions over there instead of more than likely not even getting drafted here.

So yeah good for him. Doesn't change the fact that about every big man in the NBA would eat Kaun alive on the court.

Lzen
06-24-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm not saying he made a wrong decision. I'm saying the level of basketball over there isn't close to what it is here. He's gonna make millions over there instead of more than likely not even getting drafted here.

So yeah good for him. Doesn't change the fact that about every big man in the NBA would eat Kaun alive on the court.

The level of basketball over there is lower, sure. But you are completely wrong in saying that more than likely he would not get drafted here. I have seen mocks with him going in the 2nd round. And Kaun would not get eaten alive by every big man in the NBA. That quote is completely asinine. You apparently don't know much about hoops or have a personal vendetta against Kaun. I'm guessing it's both. :rolleyes:

Lzen
06-24-2008, 07:51 AM

I read somewhere that Arthur's stock had fallen recently due to poor workouts.

CoMoChief
06-24-2008, 08:08 AM
The level of basketball over there is lower, sure. But you are completely wrong in saying that more than likely he would not get drafted here. I have seen mocks with him going in the 2nd round. And Kaun would not get eaten alive by every big man in the NBA. That quote is completely asinine. You apparently don't know much about hoops or have a personal vendetta against Kaun. I'm guessing it's both. :rolleyes:

No it's just that Kaun isn't very good.

CoMoChief
06-24-2008, 08:09 AM
I read somewhere that Arthur's stock had fallen recently due to poor workouts.

ESPN has their mock and Arthur was going #9.

Bearcat
06-24-2008, 09:58 AM
You apparently don't know much about hoops or have a personal vendetta against Kaun. I'm guessing it's both. :rolleyes:

With every KU-related post in the last 8 months being about Sasha Kaun, it looks to be a rather unhealthy frazodal hate. I'm picturing Kaun toilet paper, a pic of Kaun at the bottom of every toilet, and Kaun's face at the bottom of the litter box. It's Kauntastic!

Lzen
06-27-2008, 07:09 AM
No it's just that Kaun isn't very good.

Apparently the NBA and specifically, the Sonics don't agree with you.

Skip Towne
06-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Apparently the NBA and specifically, the Sonics don't agree with you.

Why is that? Did the Sonics draft him?

CoMoChief
06-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Why is that? Did the Sonics draft him?

Yes, along with 2 other Centers

Skip Towne
06-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Yes, along with 2 other Centers

What round?

CoMoChief
06-27-2008, 08:01 AM
What round?

2nd. 58th pick I think.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
2nd. 58th pick I think.

that doesn't make much sense....he already is under contract with the russian team for 3 years...

kepp
06-27-2008, 09:50 AM
that doesn't make much sense....he already is under contract with the russian team for 3 years...

It doesn't seem to make sense, no. Surely he wouldn't pass up the guaranteed money from the russians for absolutely no guarantee, would he?

irishjayhawk
06-27-2008, 09:50 AM

That's what I said. Apparently, it's common. Essentially, they bought the "rights" to him.

I don't see why they don't just sign him when/if he pans out over there.

Skip Towne
06-27-2008, 09:51 AM

That's what I thought. Is this common practice in the NBA?

noa
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
That's what I thought. Is this common practice in the NBA?

Yeah, basically the team will see how the guy does in Europe, and if he's doing well, they will work out a deal with the Euro team to release him from his contract so he can come play in the NBA. Its become more common in the second round of the draft lately.

Reerun_KC
06-27-2008, 10:30 AM
ESPN has their mock and Arthur was going #9.
Aurther NEEDED one more year..

CoMoChief
06-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Aurther NEEDED one more year..

I agree.

He plays with his back to the basket WAAAY too much, he isn't a great rebounder for being as tall and lanky as he is, and isn't strong enough to play inside at the NBA level, so his jump shot which is avg at best will have to improve.

He's a poor man's Drew Gooden

ROYC75
06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
CoMo has to turn in his Scout talent card now ......... Sasha got drafted ! :eek:

Ultra Peanut
06-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Aurther NEEDED one more year..Arthur didn't need another year. He needed a better agent (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/luke_winn/06/27/winn.arthur/):

The gist of it, according to Arthur's agent, Jerry Hicks: During medical examinations at the Pre-Draft camp in Orlando at the beginning of the month, Arthur's blood was shown to contain higher-than-normal levels of creatine, which can be a possible indicator of kidney failure or malfunction. "Three teams inquired about those lab results," Hicks told SI.com. "One called, we talked about it for 3-4 minutes, and they expressed no real concern. On the 24th [of June], Philadelphia asked about it, and I asked them, rather than doing additional bloodwork for them that day, when he had his final workout with Washington on the 25th, we'd do it in Washington.

"We did the bloodwork on the morning of the 25th, and by noon, [Arthur's kidneys] were determined to be completely normal. I received a message from Washington -- which is still saved in my voice mail in my office -- that everything was normal. Philadelphia received word that things were normal. How this became an issue around the league is puzzling, to say the least."

It appears that only two of the NBA's 30 teams had the full story on Arthur's kidneys; the rest were working off of the rumor mill, the details of which hit the airwaves by the time the first round hit the mid-20s. ESPN broke into its draft broadcast with a report that Arthur was slipping due to an "undisclosed kidney issue." Arthur's mother, Sandra, who was sitting beside him in the Green Room, looked up at one of the Garden's video screens and shook her head. "I knew something had to have happened to make Darrell not get taken higher," she said, "and that stuff was just not true."Like some of the other guys who fell for various reasons (CDR and DJ White in particular), he'll be fine.

CoMoChief
06-27-2008, 11:53 AM
CoMo has to turn in his Scout talent card now ......... Sasha got drafted ! :eek:

SEA was just wasting picks. They drafted 3 Centers. Sasha isnt talented enough to playin the NBA. His size is more beneficial than anything he as to offer.

ROYC75
06-27-2008, 12:03 PM
SEA was just wasting picks. They drafted 3 Centers. Sasha isnt talented enough to playin the NBA. His size is more beneficial than anything he as to offer.

Uh, OK, that's like yur comment that Sasha WILL NOT get drafted. How many more limbs you climbing out on ?

Lzen
06-27-2008, 02:23 PM
CoMo can't admit that he was wrong.

CoMoChief
06-27-2008, 03:33 PM
CoMo can't admit that he was wrong.

I admit I was wrong. Still doesn't change the fact that Kaun sucks.

That and I'm not putting a whole lot of stock into the horrible decisions many NBA GMs made last night.

Ultra Peanut
06-27-2008, 09:42 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/r74un6.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/16jox36.jpg

Skip Towne
06-27-2008, 09:51 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/r74un6.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/16jox36.jpg

Grizzlies. Hahahaha. I'l bet there isn't a Grizzly Bear within 1000 miles of Memphis.

Ultra Peanut
06-27-2008, 10:01 PM
What, you've never heard of Larry Csonka?

http://i32.tinypic.com/fmrzw6.jpg

Braincase
06-28-2008, 08:11 AM
I admit I was wrong. Still doesn't change the fact that Kaun sucks.

That and I'm not putting a whole lot of stock into the horrible decisions many NBA GMs made last night.

So why haven't you applied for a position managing a team? You, with you're maaaaaad basketball talent identifuhcation skilllllzz.

CoMoChief
06-28-2008, 11:05 AM
So why haven't you applied for a position managing a team? You, with you're maaaaaad basketball talent identifuhcation skilllllzz.

Because the NBA sucks.

The only time I watch anything related to the NBA is the draft because I wanna see where the college players go and the NBA playoffs because the players actually care about winning then.

Bearcat
06-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Grizzlies. Hahahaha. I'l bet there isn't a Grizzly Bear within 1000 miles of Memphis.

At least they weren't called the Vancouver Canadiens.... you'll find a grizzly before you find a Canadian.

Braincase
06-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Because the NBA sucks.

Now you know why the Russian kid with the 3.2 GPA and an engineering degree chose to play in his home country and pull down better than a million a year for three years.