PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Slow drivers in the "fast lane" getting tickets!

BigVE
06-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Wish they would start doing this in more places more often...nothing more irritating than the ignorant moron in left lane of a freeway or interstate that won't get over and won't speed up.

http://www.komonews.com/news/20656789.html

SEATTLE -- Even if you're going the speed limit it might not be enough to prevent you from getting a ticket if you're holding up traffic in the fast lane.

State troopers are on a mission to make sure the left lane on area freeways is used for its intended purpose: passing.

"We're doing 58, 59 miles an hour and they are just sitting there, traffic's passing them on the right hand side," Trooper Keith Leary said while pointing out a car in the left lane of Interstate 5. "That's exactly what we don't want to see happen."

The driver, Brasta Bonifcho, said he was surprised what he was doing was illegal.

"I didn't know that, I really didn't know that," he said. "I am guilty, no question about it."

Leary reminded Bonifcho that drivers need to stay in the right lanes unless they're passing another vehicle.

Everyone pulled over during Leary's patrol said they thought it wasn't a problem as long as they were going the speed limit. But the law says otherwise.

"It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic," the statute reads (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.100).

The reason for the law is to help keep traffic moving and to diffuse potential road rage situations.

"It just takes one thing to set them off," Leary said of frustrated drivers stuck behind slower moving vehicles. "If we can alleviate one of those things, maybe we can avoid an assault."

The State Patrol said several recent collisions caused by slow vehicles in the passing lane have prompted increased enforcement of the law along area interstates.

Drivers in the HOV lanes are exempt from the rule, but anyone else could be facing a $124 ticket.

StcChief
06-24-2008, 08:37 PM
get away of the way, speeding motorcycles need your lane /midnite_cowboy_vulture

DaFace
06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
My dad got pulled over around Springfield for this 10 years ago or so. They didn't ticket him, but they did give him a written warning or whatever it's called.

BigVE
06-24-2008, 08:43 PM
I do think that some people honestly don't know that it's not ok to just pick a lane and cruise at your own pace. Slow traffic is supposed to stay to the right. Period. They start pulling more people over it will get around pretty quickly.

FAX
Now they're going after the elderly. The shameless bastards.

FAX

Bugeater
Yes, this is a problem EVERYWHERE.

stlchiefs
06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
I wish they'd do this to trucker's on I-70 between KC and STL. Pass in the left and then get the hell over. If you aren't passing get the fock out of the way.

Bwana
06-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Good! Those pricks from Washington are the worst about this. I see it all the time around here. Most of the time if some dickweed is hanging out in the left lane holding up the flow of traffic and won't get over, the dude is from WA.

Deberg_1990
06-24-2008, 08:51 PM
If they would just give these pricks bikes so they can go 100+ and outrun those stupid pigs, everything would be ok.

Lzen
06-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Good! Those pricks from Washington are the worst about this. I see it all the time around here. Most of the time if some dickweed is hanging out in the left lane holding up the flow of traffic and won't get over, the dude is from WA.

You apparently have not driven in Missouri around the Ozarks.

Bwana
06-24-2008, 09:27 PM
You apparently have not driven in Missouri around the Ozarks.

Nope, I take it WA drivers aren't the only ones with this issue.

Phobia
06-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Central Texas is the most courteous place in the entire world in this regard. They'll pull off the entire road to get out of your way.

kcchiefsus
06-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Nope, I take it WA drivers aren't the only ones with this issue.

Nope, in Missouri we have to deal with asshole Kansas drivers all the time.

Coach
06-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Good. Nothing pisses me off more than going on I-435 or I-35 only to be stuck in the left lane by some douche going 65, and not even passing a vehicle on the right side, just parallel to it.

Bwana
06-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Central Texas is the most courteous place in the entire world in this regard. They'll pull off the entire road to get out of your way.

WA drivers do that around here as well, with the aid of the pit maneuver.

Bearcat
06-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I'll drive from Omaha to KC, and up until St. Joseph people will generally get out of my way.... between St. Joseph and KC though, people are oblivious to the fact that they're supposed to get over. I'll pass one person on the right for the first 150 miles and then 5-10 more in the last 30 miles.

The more I drive outside of the Kansas City area the more I realize how bad you people drive. :p

Lzen
06-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Nope, in Missouri we have to deal with asshole Kansas drivers all the time.

If you dumbshit MUs would get the Hell outta that passing lane, we Kansans wouldn't have to ride your bumper. :p

KcMizzou
06-24-2008, 09:55 PM
If you dumbshit MUs would get the Hell outta that passing lane, we Kansans wouldn't have to ride your bumper. :pYou can spot a Johnson county driver in a second.

He's the one that comes up to a long line of cars at a construction zone... drives up the shoulder to the front... and tries to cut in.

Lzen
06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
You can spot a Johnson county driver in a second.

He's the one that comes up to a long line of cars at a construction zone... drives up the shoulder to the front... and tries to cut in.

Eh, you got that right. If I could get away with it, I would shoot out their tires as they were driving by me. ;)

You know what is the worst thing about the situation you described? There is always some stupid nice person that lets them cut in. :cuss:

Skip Towne
06-24-2008, 09:58 PM

How else do you get around retarded MUrons?

CrazyPhuD
06-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Good. Nothing pisses me off more than going on I-435 or I-35 only to be stuck in the left lane by some douche going 65, and not even passing a vehicle on the right side, just parallel to it.

Imagine that across 4 lanes of traffic with no one in front of them. 101 is notorious for the rolling roadblocks. It's much worse now because people have slowed down below the speed limit to save gas....

KcMizzou
06-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Eh, you got that right. If I could get away with it, I would shoot out their tires as they were driving by me. ;)All Kansas jokes aside... nothing gives me more road rage than that. I don't care who does it.

**** you. Get in line like the rest of us. :cuss:

I never, ever let 'em in. ****ers.

CrazyPhuD
06-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Tell them the road to the Orange bowl is in the other direction?

KcMizzou
06-24-2008, 10:02 PM
How else do you get around retarded MUrons?**** you. Get in line like the rest of us. :cuss:

:D

Bugeater
06-24-2008, 10:07 PM

A lot of times I'll drift into the other lane to block people from going by in that situation, **** 'em. One time I had a douchebag so determined to get by he ran clear off the road to get around me. And of course some other idiot ended up letting his ass in.

Smed1065
06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
I do not drive fast but I hate getting cut off in the middle or right hand lane by drivers having to pass people going slow in the left lane.

I hope hands free use for cell phones is the next law passed. Seems like most people using the phone with one hand are the cars that come equipped with blue tooth standard, at least the ones that swerve towards me or run a light.

:cuss:

KcMizzou
06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
A lot of times I'll drift into the other lane to block people from going by in that situation, **** 'em. One time I had a douchebag so determined to get by he ran clear off the road to get around me. And of course some other idiot ended up letting his ass in.Yeah, see... that's what pisses me off most. There's always some other jackass who rewards them for it.

You'd think there'd be some sort of unspoken collective effort to screw the guy for being an asshole... but no... somebody always lets him in.

I'd like to see his dumb ass sit on the shoulder for about 3 hours just for being rude.

Bugeater
06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
I do not drive fast but I hate getting cut off in the middle or right hand lane by drivers having to pass people going slow in the left lane.

I hope hands free use for cell phones is the next law passed. Seems like most people using the phone with one hand are the cars that come equipped with blue tooth standard, at least the ones that swerve towards me or run a light.

Like that will ever happen. Hell I see cops using their cell phones while driving.

Skip Towne
06-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Tell them the road to the Orange bowl is in the other direction?

:LOL:

Smed1065
06-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Like that will ever happen. Hell I see cops using their cell phones while driving.

That really drives me crazy as well. See it all the time in Atlanta. Last time I saw 2 cops at the same red light next to me on the cells.

WTF?

KcMizzou
06-24-2008, 10:16 PM
That really drives me crazy as well. See it all the time in Atlanta. Last time I saw 2 cops at the same red light next to me on the cells.

WTF?They were probably talking to each other.

Roll down the window, assholes!

BWillie
06-24-2008, 10:17 PM
This is retarded. Completely retarded. They should not aid potential unsafe road rage drivers and help impatient people speed to where they want to go. Terrible.

Smed1065
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
They were probably talking to each other.

Roll down the window, assholes!

That was my first thought as well. But the A/C would not work as well.

LMAO

splatbass
06-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I wish they would do that here. People in Hawaii don't seem to understand the concept of "fast lane". It is common to have people doing 40 or 45 in the fast lane. I've even seen "driver training" cars doing 50 in the fast lane more than once. No wonder people here don't know how to drive, the instructors don't even know.

Silock
06-24-2008, 10:22 PM
All Kansas jokes aside... nothing gives me more road rage than that. I don't care who does it.

That's why I block the lane so no one can pass me.

BWillie
06-24-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't see why this is necessary. If you are in the far left lane and you are NOT SPEEDING, it should be your right to drive in this lane. It shouldn't be your problem if someone is in a hurry. If you want to break the law, go over the speed limit and pass the person on the right. Big freaking deal. This is just an easy way to get more people for tickets and to increase state revenue. I don't buy that they are trying to make the roadways more safe for just one minute. If they really wanted to make the roads safer they would actually ticket people for following too closely 100 times more than they already do rather than nailing people going six over. Guarantee you hundreds of thousands of accidents and injuries occur each year because someone was following too closely to another vehicle, not because they were going 60 in a 55. Terrible, just terrible use of motor vehicle law enforcement.

KcMizzou
06-24-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't see why this is necessary. If you are in the far left lane and you are NOT SPEEDING, it should be your right to drive in this lane. It shouldn't be your problem if someone is in a hurry. If you want to break the law, go over the speed limit and pass the person on the right. Big freaking deal. This is just an easy way to get more people for tickets and to increase state revenue. I don't buy that they are trying to make the roadways more safe for just one minute. If they really wanted to make the roads safer they would actually ticket people for following too closely 100 times more than they already do rather than nailing people going six over. Guarantee you hundreds of thousands of accidents and injuries occur each year because someone was following too closely to another vehicle, not because they were going 60 in a 55. Terrible, just terrible use of motor vehicle law enforcement.It's all about $$$$. You're right.

Yeah... it's annoying when you wanna pass and someone's in the left lane going the speed limit. But the speed limit is, in fact, a limit. The fastest you can drive safely in the eyes of our all-knowing government.

So really, honestly, it makes no sense.

06-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Damn they PISS me off!!!!

06-24-2008, 10:44 PM
That's why I block the lane so no one can pass me.

I have been known to drive half over the white line to keep them from passing on the shoulder.

Bugeater
06-24-2008, 10:45 PM
I don't see why this is necessary. If you are in the far left lane and you are NOT SPEEDING, it should be your right to drive in this lane. It shouldn't be your problem if someone is in a hurry. If you want to break the law, go over the speed limit and pass the person on the right. Big freaking deal. This is just an easy way to get more people for tickets and to increase state revenue. I don't buy that they are trying to make the roadways more safe for just one minute. If they really wanted to make the roads safer they would actually ticket people for following too closely 100 times more than they already do rather than nailing people going six over. Guarantee you hundreds of thousands of accidents and injuries occur each year because someone was following too closely to another vehicle, not because they were going 60 in a 55. Terrible, just terrible use of motor vehicle law enforcement.
So what? Don't do it and you won't have to worry about getting a ticket.

Bearcat
06-24-2008, 10:45 PM

I think it is a safety issue, especially outside of the city. I drive a good 10 mph over the speed limit between KC and Omaha, so I'm not hanging around semis and people that don't want to pass semis. It's safer for me to pass people going 80 than it is to be stuck behind someone that's passing a semi going 70 by going 71. People will get into clusters and those on the left won't pass those on the right and get it over with... that's not safe, especially if it's raining or snowing.

Within the city, yeah, it's more of a pain the ass than anything else, but it's still safer for people to pass on the left instead of jumping lanes to do so.

Eh.... I guess it'll turn out like the smoking ban arguments here. Those who drive slower will say "deal with it" like the smokers, and those who speed will say "uh, wtf do I have to deal with it?". :shrug:

stlchiefs
06-24-2008, 10:51 PM

That's not a requirement? Man, the way cops use their cell phones in St. Louis I thought they had them permanently attached to their ears in the academy. If you ever need to flag one down, you'll have to try to get them off their phone first.

RJ
06-24-2008, 10:58 PM
So far as I know there is no such thing as a fast lane. I have never seen a road that has a different speed limit for different lanes. I have, however, seen signs indicating that vehicles traveling below certain speeds should move to the right.

What really irks me is folks who think there is a fast lane in city driving. In that instance the fast lane also happens to be the left lane, which occasionally people need to use to get where they want to go. While I don't usually drive much over the speed limit I do often find myself in need of making a left turn. Cause, you know, I might live over there or something.

06-24-2008, 11:01 PM
So far as I know there is no such thing as a fast lane. I have never seen a road that has a different speed limit for different lanes. I have, however, seen signs indicating that vehicles traveling below certain speeds should move to the right.

What really irks me is folks who think there is a fast lane in city driving. In that instance the fast lane also happens to be the left lane, which occasionally people need to use to get where they want to go. While I don't usually drive much over the speed limit I do often find myself in need of making a left turn. Cause, you know, I might live over there or something.

I don't think it really applies to city driving. Technically, there is no "fast lane" there is the rule about keeping the left lane clear on highways when possible though.

stlchiefs
06-24-2008, 11:03 PM

Shut up and get out of the way grandma. :cuss: :D

splatbass
06-24-2008, 11:04 PM
A lot of times I'll drift into the other lane to block people from going by in that situation, **** 'em.

One time when I lived in Virginia there was construction on I-64 which caused the left lane to merge into the right. As usual most drivers merged early, but a few jerks ran up and tried to cut in line. So two truckers worked together to block them. The one in the front moved out into the left lane blocking it, and the one behind left space for him to get back in when they got to the merge. It was an awesome display of teamwork. The line moved pretty fast because of it.

"Bob" Dobbs
06-24-2008, 11:05 PM

Pay them for your Mcfries and leave the restaurant? :p

06-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Pay them for your Mcfries and leave the restaurant? :p

Nah, just hauk up a loogie as you drive through Columbia.

RJ
06-24-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't think it really applies to city driving. Technically, there is no "fast lane" there is the rule about keeping the left lane clear on highways when possible though.

True, but I often hear people complaining about slow drivers in city "fast lanes". I'm not sure where else they're supposed to go. As I recall it is against the law to make a left turn from the right lane.

06-24-2008, 11:12 PM
True, but I often hear people complaining about slow drivers in city "fast lanes". I'm not sure where else they're supposed to go. As I recall it is against the law to make a left turn from the right lane.

Well, the world is full of stoopid people. If only they could shut down that school in Columbia.

Anyong Bluth
06-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Why are people justifying their argument with the law on one point and dismissing it on another.

The speed limit is the law
Impeding faster moving traffic in the left lane is a fineable offense.

If you're speeding you're breaking the law. If you're being a crusty stubborn F*ck that won't get over for someone going faster than you- YOU'RE BREAKING THE LAW.

Arguing that you're going the speed limit so F off is absurd. There are plenty of places that have it posted "Slower Traffic Move to the Right" as well as posting minimum speed limits.

You don't get to just "choose" a lane b/c every lane is the same as far as you see it- Hence if that's your argument, you = the stupid f*cks that don't know the damn law and should get ticketed.
"Hey, the oncoming traffic lane looks pretty clear, let's use that one!"
Carpool lanes are usually in the far left lane, yet different rules apply to that lane.

See, it used to be simple driving etiquette that if you were in the far lane and some one approached you at a faster speed, you'd get over and let them thru. Then you have some that are oblivious to that or others just simply trying to be dicks and exercise some pathetic control by not letting them pass.

I don't need to go over the speeding deal- about 5% of you on here don't speed, so don't blow smoke up anyone's butt as if someone else speeding should be policed by other drivers on the road. Not to mention, as it's already been in this thread, there are times where unclustering groups of cars makes for a much safer driving condition for everyone involved.

BTW- maybe the people that sneak up to the front when merging are dicks, but so are the people that try to block them and hang out across the both lanes. Who died and made you car lane cattle herder?

Clearly, you've never been once been in a hurry and ever snuck up a little a head? If not, great you're clearly not THAT preoccupied with being somewhere, so it shouldn't really make a big difference in the long run.

I'm not condone those that pull that shit. Hell in Chicago you'll get people using the emergency lanes on the far left of the expressways or the pull off shoulders on the far right. Difference is I'm not gonna be as equal a pathetic dick playing hall monitor. Chances are they'll get what's they deserve down the line.

Karma's a bitch.

Pablo
06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Well, the world is full of stoopid people. If only they could shut down that school in Columbia.You mean that school with da greatest football program EVAR!!??

The one that's won countless NC's and has a NFL-caliber QB?

06-24-2008, 11:48 PM
You mean that school with da greatest football program EVAR!!??

The one that's won countless NC's and has a NFL-caliber QB?

Actually, I think KU is suffering that dementia right now. At least about the program. heh

KCChiefsMan
06-25-2008, 01:07 AM
good

BWillie
06-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Why are people justifying their argument with the law on one point and dismissing it on another.

The speed limit is the law
Impeding faster moving traffic in the left lane is a fineable offense.

If you're speeding you're breaking the law. If you're being a crusty stubborn F*ck that won't get over for someone going faster than you- YOU'RE BREAKING THE LAW.

Arguing that you're going the speed limit so F off is absurd. There are plenty of places that have it posted "Slower Traffic Move to the Right" as well as posting minimum speed limits.

You don't get to just "choose" a lane b/c every lane is the same as far as you see it- Hence if that's your argument, you = the stupid f*cks that don't know the damn law and should get ticketed.
"Hey, the oncoming traffic lane looks pretty clear, let's use that one!"
Carpool lanes are usually in the far left lane, yet different rules apply to that lane.

See, it used to be simple driving etiquette that if you were in the far lane and some one approached you at a faster speed, you'd get over and let them thru. Then you have some that are oblivious to that or others just simply trying to be dicks and exercise some pathetic control by not letting them pass.

I don't need to go over the speeding deal- about 5% of you on here don't speed, so don't blow smoke up anyone's butt as if someone else speeding should be policed by other drivers on the road. Not to mention, as it's already been in this thread, there are times where unclustering groups of cars makes for a much safer driving condition for everyone involved.

BTW- maybe the people that sneak up to the front when merging are dicks, but so are the people that try to block them and hang out across the both lanes. Who died and made you car lane cattle herder?

Clearly, you've never been once been in a hurry and ever snuck up a little a head? If not, great you're clearly not THAT preoccupied with being somewhere, so it shouldn't really make a big difference in the long run.

I'm not condone those that pull that shit. Hell in Chicago you'll get people using the emergency lanes on the far left of the expressways or the pull off shoulders on the far right. Difference is I'm not gonna be as equal a pathetic dick playing hall monitor. Chances are they'll get what's they deserve down the line.

Karma's a bitch.

Oh yeah? Technically it's not against the law to be a complete asshole and stay in the right lane when an entrance into the freeway to your right is ending. You can just sit your ass in that lane pretty much without any repercussions. I suppose if the cop really wanted to he could give you a careless driving citation (you can get one of those for pretty much anything), but you could probably fight it and win, and I've never heard of anybody getting in trouble for that just by being an asshole. They need to start ticketing this shit then too, much much more than picking on someone who is going the speed limit when someone speeds by them. It's not their fault they are inconsiderate prick.

Any state can pretty much make whatever law they want. Look up California and their laws in regards for vehicles that need to use the bike lane in order to make a right hand turn. There are some f*cked up traffic laws out there.

Abba-Dabba
06-25-2008, 01:46 AM
If I'm in the left lane going the speed limit and not breaking any laws, and some self serving pukestain asshole comes up behind me while breaking the law by speeding, hell no I'm not getting over. Don't like it? Too ****ing bad.

The left lane isn't your personal express lane because you failed to properly leave on time to get where you are going.

Miles
06-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Yes, this is a problem EVERYWHERE.

Its usually terrible around here when heading up I-70 to the mountains. I almost cant make the drive without getting stuck behind someone driving slow in the passing lane and often it's with a large SUV or truck trying to drive up my ass.

Miles
06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
If I'm in the left lane going the speed limit and not breaking any laws, and some self serving pukestain asshole comes up behind me while breaking the law by speeding, hell no I'm not getting over. Don't like it? Too ****ing bad.

The left lane isn't your personal express lane because you failed to properly leave on time to get where you are going.

If you are going the speed limit and passing someone then there is no problem. It also irritates me when I am driving at or a few mph above the limit while passing and some ass starts to tailgate me.

Abba-Dabba
06-25-2008, 03:26 AM
If you are going the speed limit and passing someone then there is no problem. It also irritates me when I am driving at or a few mph above the limit while passing and some ass starts to tailgate me.

Even if you aren't passing anyone you don't have to get over for someone who is speeding. Move over laws are designed to for the safety of emergency and maintenance vehicles. Not for someone who wants to go 73 in a 65 zone while driving in the left lane.

Abba-Dabba
06-25-2008, 03:35 AM
I think it is a safety issue, especially outside of the city. I drive a good 10 mph over the speed limit between KC and Omaha, so I'm not hanging around semis and people that don't want to pass semis. It's safer for me to pass people going 80 than it is to be stuck behind someone that's passing a semi going 70 by going 71. People will get into clusters and those on the left won't pass those on the right and get it over with... that's not safe, especially if it's raining or snowing.

Within the city, yeah, it's more of a pain the ass than anything else, but it's still safer for people to pass on the left instead of jumping lanes to do so.

Eh.... I guess it'll turn out like the smoking ban arguments here. Those who drive slower will say "deal with it" like the smokers, and those who speed will say "uh, wtf do I have to deal with it?". :shrug:

Safety is to drive 10mph over the speed limit? I think you have it backwards.

A recent study examined the impact of higher travel speeds on US rural interstates after the repeal in November 1995 of the national speed limit. Researchers found states that had increased their speed limits to 75 mph (120 km/h) experienced a shocking 38 per cent increase in deaths per million vehicle miles than expected, compared to deaths in those states that did not change their speed limits. States that increased speed limits to 70 mph (112 km/h) showed a 35 per cent increase in fatalities.

Miles
06-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Even if you aren't passing anyone you don't have to get over for someone who is speeding. Move over laws are designed to for the safety of emergency and maintenance vehicles. Not for someone who wants to go 73 in a 65 zone while driving in the left lane.

If you are not passing anyone (no vehicle on your right) then you are driving in the passing only lane while not passing.

1adam1238
06-25-2008, 06:05 AM
My retirement plan includes a daily trip to nowhere at noon and poking around pissing off as many people as I can. Pay back is a bitch.

kepp
06-25-2008, 06:50 AM
All Kansas jokes aside... nothing gives me more road rage than that. I don't care who does it.

Absolutely...I had that happen yesterday. One exception I'll make is if its an older person who may have just had a mental lapse - then I'll usually let them in. I'd probably let Skip cut in.

Frosty
06-25-2008, 07:06 AM
This is retarded. Completely retarded. They should not aid potential unsafe road rage drivers and help impatient people speed to where they want to go. Terrible.

This is Washington. This is a win-win for the state coffers. They can ticket the folks doing the speed limit and they can ticket the speeders (plus, the slow folks are reducing the number of speeders, where the real money is at). Gotta overcome the state's budget woes somehow.

By the way, you can also get a ticket for driving in the left lane if you aren't actively passing someone. This sucks sometimes because the right lane (at least on my side of the state) tends to be very torn up from stud damage. We also just got a "hands free" law passed (which I actually don't mind). You can't be pulled over for talking on a cell phone but if you are doing something else they can pull you over for, like speeding or weaving, then it is a double-whammy ticket.

Frosty
06-25-2008, 07:08 AM

That's interesting. Over here, if someone is driving like a bat outta hell, weaving in and out of traffic and just generally driving like a complete asshole, they are almost always from Montana. :shrug:

Braincase
06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Like a lot of people these days, I'm slowing down. I used to drive 80 on K-10 coming from Lawrence into Kansas City. These days I've dropped down to 70. Ironically, now a bunch of folks have dropped down to 60 or 65 in the right hand lane, so to conserve gas and keep from "tapping out" (my brakes, that is), I pass 'em. I don't speed up, I keep my cruise control right at 70-72.

This morning some guy rode my ass for a mile before I merged onto 435 and gave me a dirty look like I just pissed in his Wheaties. It's kind of funny how angry the other drivers look when they're passing me. Then I look down at my dash and see I'm averaging 27 MPG in a Buick Park Avenue. I guess the jokes on them, or whoever is paying for their gas.

Frosty
06-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Then I look down at my dash and see I'm averaging 27 MPG in a Buick Park Avenue. I guess the jokes on them, or whoever is paying for their gas.

Me, too. I figure I'll drive how they want me to when they start buying my gas.

Demonpenz
06-25-2008, 07:37 AM
One time I was driving down I-29 and I saw the one lane sign coming up. So I tried to pass four or 5 cars going about 80 to clear them because when it is one lane people slow down way too much. Now I work in claims I see stupid people do dumb shit hundreds of times a week. So I gun it. This lady to my left guns it. It was a teenage girl in a cell phone. Of course I slame on my brakes to avoid a orange barrel crushing. I get pissed Fly up (I don't know what I was going to do, you can't out crazy a teenage girl) after giving the bird I slowed down and man I should have just have gotten in the lane and been patient. I still feel guilty for taking a risk like that over ****ing driving.

Demonpenz
06-25-2008, 07:38 AM
it was a lady on the right for my story

Bwana
06-25-2008, 07:38 AM
That's interesting. Over here, if someone is driving like a bat outta hell, weaving in and out of traffic and just generally driving like a complete asshole, they are almost always from Montana. :shrug:

ROFL

I guess there must be some kind of a dickweed / asshole trade between our states that we don't know about. They must export all the worst drivers from each state to the other. :evil:

Every state has their various trends. I have noticed that ND drivers get a woody if you try to pass them on the interstate. They will be doing 70 and when you hit the left lane to pass, they hit the gas almost every time. I quit playing that game a long time ago. I just burn a little gas, get by the jerkoff and they slow down every time after you get by them. :doh!:

KC Kings
06-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Is that a general traffic law, or does it have to be posted? I have seen the "left lane for passing only signs" on certain stretches of highway.

I started driving 55-60 on the highway (only in the slow lane), and have people that ride my @ss or pass me then cut me off sharply. They must assume that I am a Grandma since I am driving an Escort 55MPH, because when I give them a beep and a finger there is never any return road rage.

The gas milage is worth the grief. I was getting 32 MPH and by dropping my speed to 55-60 and putting it in nuetral to coast down hills I am up to 40MPH. After next week when I can clean out the 150 pounds of t-ball and baseball gear from the trunk, that should go up even more.

Frosty
06-25-2008, 07:52 AM
ROFL

I guess there must be some kind of a dickweed / asshole trade between our states that we don't know about. They must export all the worst drivers from each state to the other. :evil:

I was mostly flicking you crap but there was some truth to it, too. If you get someone who just absolutely blasts by you on I-90, it is a Montanan about half of the time. The rest of the time, it is someone from Idaho.

BTW, one of those slow WA drivers you saw was probably my dad on his way to visit my sister. :D

I have noticed that ND drivers get a woody if you try to pass them on the interstate. They will be doing 70 and when you hit the left lane to pass, they hit the gas almost every time. I quit playing that game a long time ago. I just burn a little gas, get by the jerkoff and they slow down every time after you get by them. :doh!:

Oregonian women do that and it drives me insane. I'll pass them with my cruise on and they will start speeding up. I'll goose it to get around me and they will then pass me and promptly slow down again and we get to do it all over again until I get pissed and floor it until I put some distance between us.

It should be legal to force those people off of the road and beat them with a tire iron. :cuss:

Bwana
06-25-2008, 07:58 AM
It should be legal to force those people off of the road and beat them with a tire iron. :cuss:

:thumb:

Or at the very least, be able to give them the Pit Maneuver. :evil:

Anyong Bluth
06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Oh yeah? Technically it's not against the law to be a complete asshole and stay in the right lane when an entrance into the freeway to your right is ending. You can just sit your ass in that lane pretty much without any repercussions. I suppose if the cop really wanted to he could give you a careless driving citation (you can get one of those for pretty much anything), but you could probably fight it and win, and I've never heard of anybody getting in trouble for that just by being an asshole. They need to start ticketing this shit then too, much much more than picking on someone who is going the speed limit when someone speeds by them. It's not their fault they are inconsiderate prick.

Any state can pretty much make whatever law they want. Look up California and their laws in regards for vehicles that need to use the bike lane in order to make a right hand turn. There are some f*cked up traffic laws out there.

Inattentive Driving, Illegal Lane Change. Not that I think you'd probably get stopped by a cop, but you're not getting out of that. I'd love to see you tell the judge you were hugging both lanes to police people from cutting in front of you...

Wrong- are you missing the point of the thread. It is against the law to sit in the left lane. Some states require you to get back in the right at all times, others only enforce when other cars are around. Dictating other's pace and being a rude f*ck is just as self serving.

Is there a reason you need to stay in the left lane or feel the need to not be courteous to other drivers, not to mention refuse to observe the law as it stands now.

Straight from one state's law brief:
When drivers exceed acceptable tolerances for speeding,
it is the exclusive responsibility of law enforcement
officers to initiate appropriate enforcement
action. By mitigating traffic-flow conflicts caused by
slower-moving drivers, bouts of aggressive driving
would likely be reduced. The Patrol believes the Left
Lane Law achieves the appropriate balance between
public safety and optimizing traffic fl ow on Colorado
highways.

Essentially, if you're rolling in the left and impeding cars from passing you- you're the dick in the situation. That said, tailgating people isn't cool or smart. If anything, maintain the same distance, flip your brights a few times and turn your signal on so they can see you'd like to pass and for them to get over. It's really not that big a deal, and if people refuse to do so they've got some serious control issues.

Fish
06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
I've always been of the opinion that each person should feel a small moral obligation to make the roadway as efficient as possible for everyone. Not necessarily faster, but more efficient. That may mean getting over in the right lane when a pack of speeders come up behind you, even though you're doing the speed limit, to make the flow of traffic more efficient for the group.

If everyone would just put a few degrees of selfishness and impatience aside while on the highway, everyone would get where they're going safer and more quickly. Speeders and do-gooders alike. Most road rage is nothing but selfishness. It amazes me how much anger can be generated over one car length of distance...

I realize the unlikelihood of expecting any portion of the public to think outside of themselves. But I will continue to drive with this attitude.

CoMoChief
06-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Slow and ignorant drivers cause almost just as many accidents as high speeders.

whatsmynameagain
06-25-2008, 10:31 AM
get out of my way!!!!Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat
06-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Safety is to drive 10mph over the speed limit? I think you have it backwards.

It has nothing to do with everyone driving faster, which is what the article is about... I'd rather be the only driver around than get caught around 3 cars trying to pass 2 semis going .5 mph faster than the semis. That requires either driving 10 under or 10 over, and you can't tell me going 60 in a 70 is safer than 80 when everyone is going 67+ (weather aside).

Eh, the argument is over with the recent post about being a little less selfish. When I drive up on someone I don't tailgate... I give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll move over. If people were just more aware and more willing to be patient or get out of other's way, the roads would be safer.

Anyong Bluth
06-25-2008, 10:48 AM
If people would move over to the right lane when faster cars are approaching from behind, 90% of the tailgating incidents would never happen.

Old people are the worst drivers and seriously pose more risk than speeders.
Old people 9/10 times drive slow.

You can't claim that going the speed limit and not letting faster drivers pass you by getting in the right lane is your right they have no right b/c they're breaking the law, b/c now so are you if you impede them and try to police their speed by refusing to get over.

Every driver is different, and some have no problem properly handling their car above the speed limit. I'd gladly be sharing the road with someone going 40 mph over the speed limit than someone talking on their phone, texting, of the female gender, over the age of 65.

Most speeders, I'd argue, are going to be very attentive since they are focused on getting from point A to point B ASAP. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule...

BIG_DADDY
06-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Friggen awesome. They had these assholes on TV all bitching because of the fine. I swear most of these people do this shit on purpose just to try and control other drivers. It was either jettio or jenson one time that said he got off on that.

The Franchise
06-25-2008, 11:02 AM

July 1st in California is when our law goes into effect. No more use of cell phones while driving (unless it's hands free)

bogey
06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
This is one reason traffic sucks so much in CA. I wish CHP would ticket more people for driving slow in the passing lane. The only problem is, CHP presence on the freeways slows traffic also.

Anyong Bluth
06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
already the law in Chicago- was being enforced pretty strictly when it 1st passed, now I see people on them still all the time. I can understand if you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the expressway and not moving. Not F'n downtown as you've got all sorts of 1 ways and A LOT of pedestrians x-ing streets in every direction

Dartgod
06-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Just as bad are the assholes that won't even allow you to move to the right before they suddenly move over to pass you. I can't count the number of times I've been in the left lane, saw a faster car approaching and before I can even begin to move over, the asshole jumps over and flies by me on the right, while giving me a dirty look or flipping me off. Look, asshole, if you would have waited a half a second longer, I would have gotten out of your way.

Bwana
06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Just as bad are the assholes that won't even allow you to move to the right before they suddenly move over to pass you. I can't count the number of times I've been in the left lane, saw a faster car approaching and before I can even begin to move over, the asshole jumps over and flies by me on the right, while giving me a dirty look or flipping me off. Look, asshole, if you would have waited a half a second longer, I would have gotten out of your way.

Sorry Bob, I didn't know you were going to move over. :evil:

bogey
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM

Honestly, unless you are literally passing someone, you shouldn't be in the left lane.

Dartgod
06-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Honestly, unless you are literally passing someone, you shouldn't be in the left lane.
I'm talking about driving in the city, rush hour traffic. I've usually just passed someone and before I can get over one lane, the asshole behind me has to pass on the right.

bogey
06-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm talking about driving in the city, rush hour traffic. I've usually just passed someone and before I can get over one lane, the asshole behind me has to pass on the right.

Yes, I know the assholes you're talking about. They're the ones that are driving recklessly and think they own the road.

kregger
06-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, I know the assholes you're talking about. They're the ones that are driving recklessly and think they own the road.

Or it's the dickheads on crotch rockets that weave constantly. Oops! Wrong thread. :evil: