PDA

View Full Version : Royals Posnanski:Im convinced KC should sign Bonds

Sure-Oz
06-26-2008, 01:52 PM
http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/06/26/ok-im-convinced-kc-should-sign-barry/

LONG READ

OK, I’m Convinced: K.C. Should Sign Barry
Here’s why 12-game losing streaks stink: The Royals have won 10 of 11, they have made mincemeat out of the Senior Circuit, they are again showing off some of the better young pitching around, and they are STILL digging out of the wreckage. You know, if they just win three of those games — JUST THREE — they’re within one game of .500, they’re within five games of the lead, there’s some buzz about them. Instead, they’re a less impressive seven games under .500, they’re only sort of in the race, there’s more of a “You know, they’re not as bad as I thought” kind of buzz, which isn’t the same thing.

Still, there’s something pretty nice happening. The Royals have four starters who are 27 or younger (and the other starter, Gil Meche, won’t turn 30 until September), they have Mariano v.2.0 in the bullpen, and offensively they have … well, they have four starters who are 27 or younger (and the other starter, Gil Meche, won’t turn 30 until September), and they have Mariano v.2.0 in the bullpen and offensively they have … well, they have four starters …

OK, they do have SOME offensive promise too, David DeJesus is stinging the ball and playing every day, Alex Gordon will be a good player, I still have a lot of hope for Mark Teahen, Mike Aviles keeps slugging .600 and Billy Butler is hitting .337/.417/.564 in Omaha and should be back up soon enough. I realize that at this point roughly 93% of you are now saying: “Sheesh, he’s talking about Royals MINOR LEAGUERS now, man, I don’t care about the Royals, would you get to the Barry part already?”

All right. I’ve long had mixed feelings about Barry Bonds. On the one hand, as I’ve mentioned here before, Barry has treated me incredibly well through the years, about as well as any out-of-town player I can recall. I don’t chalk this up to anything but a few lucky spins of the roulette wheel, but I cannot in good conscience write anything about Barry Bonds without mentioning that the four or five times I’ve personally dealt with him in a one-on-one setting, he’s been gracious, engaging, patient, charming. I’ve always felt a little guilty about it when media friends start telling their Barry horror stories — I sort of feel like the guy who says, “Funny, every time I go into the Department of Motor Vehicles, there’s no line at all and they’re so nice to me.” Still, there’s a personal reality here. Barry Bonds has given me great interviews, and I’ve liked him a lot every time I have walked away. I’m not trying to make the guy sound like Will Rogers; but this is still part of the picture for me.

On the other hand … yeah, I know. I’ve read the two Barry books*. I’ve heard the stories of evil. I’m obviously well aware of the steroid stain, and I appreciate that it’s more or less accepted by the masses that he’s one of the game’s all-time cheats, and I’m also aware the many of his past teammates think he’s a Grade A Andujar and has been going back to his Little League days.

*1. Barry Potter and the Vial of Winstrol. 2. Barry Potter and the Half Blood Test.

So, my feeling about Barry has long been: Not worth the trouble. Sure, he could put up big numbers,* but there would be a circus around, the home fans would boo him, teammates would grumble, every home run would make a lot of us feel bad for Hank Aaron all over again. Plus, there’s a reality; even Barry Bonds has to age sometime, and who knows, maybe he would come back and be a shell. It’s not impossible. He’s going to be 44 next month. The sadness of seeing a 1975 Harmon Killebrew or a 1973 Willie Mays or a 2007 Neifi would not exactly be an uplifiting viewing or playing experience. It just ain’t worth it.

*If you plug in fairly conservative Barry numbers in the Royals lineup — say .450 and .550, which is still down from last year — the Royals lineup that was scoring 4.91 runs per game is suddenly scoring 5.34 runs. As many readers pointed out, that really is a huge, huge difference.

So that was my feeling before. But here’s what happened: Nobody has signed Barry Bonds. And nobody has signed Barry Bonds. And nobody has signed Barry Bonds. Then his agent came out and said that Barry has offered his services to all 30 teams for the minimum salary. The minimum! Then he said he does not even want the minimum; he would donate his salary so kids could watch baseball games. Kids!

And I started thinking: You know, the Royals should sign this guy. The circus? Hell, the Royals could USE a little circus. It’s been how long — Bo? — since they’ve had a good circus. The booing? You know, people in Kansas City are pretty friendly, and if Barry hit a few homers and showed up at a charity event or two and the Royals won a few more games the booing would probably lessen considerably — shoot, this town cheered Andre Rison. The teammates grumbling? Maybe not. In this clubhouse, some people would probably want Barry’s autograph. The steroid stain? Come on, there are heavy steroid users playing everywhere in baseball, and just because we don’t “know” who they are doesn’t mean anything. It’s like the old 1960s Mafia types — maybe you couldn’t convict them in court, but you sure knew they were around.

More than anything, though, I was thinking this: If Barry is REALLY willing to play for nothing, if he’s really out to prove something to himself and everyone in baseball, then you can bet he will be the good Barry for the final three months, the genial guy who I kept lucking into in interviews. He’d be on his best behavior. Three months? Anyone can do that.

No, it wouldn’t be easy — there would be a whole bunch of “If the Royals sign Barry Bonds, I’m done with them forever” fans. And if you’re being honest, sure, you’d have to concede the thing could turn into an out-and-out disaster, a Heaven’s Gate type disaster, with people getting fired, and fans fleeing the stadiums and mass hysteria. No doubt.

But let me say two things. One, as far as I know, Barry Bonds didn’t kill anybody. He didn’t assault anybody. He didn’t throw any games. He didn’t bet on any games. He didn’t get caught drinking and driving. He didn’t have any false gods, didn’t make any idols, didn’t covet any neighbors d0nkeys, didn’t steal, didn’t do much of anything that more or less half the other ballplayers in the game are doing. No team OWES Barry Bonds a shot, but I also think of America as a place that takes chances on people. I certainly do not see why a team couldn’t GIVE Barry Bonds a shot.

Second, and this is selfish, I think there’s a shot that Barry Bonds could make the Royals contenders in the A.L. Central this year. The division is wide open, nobody’s any good (although the Tigers sure are coming on) and the Royals have all that young pitching, and they have a WIDE OPEN spot in the No. 3 hole. Barry could play a little outfield (Teahen moves to first), he could play a little DH (the Royals really don’t have one), heck, Barry might even be able to play a little first himself. And sure, I’ve talked about the potential disaster, but how about this: If Barry Bonds came to freaking Kansas City, played for the minimum, and at age 44 acted like a good guy and signed a few autographs and mussed the hair of a couple of bat boys and banged a few homers and led the Royals into a real live pennant race … holy cow, that’s The Natural come to life. The Royals might even carve lightning bolts into their bats. I’d have my next book!

You know what? I think they should do it Why not? They tried to trade for Milton Bradley last year. They signed Jose Guillen in the offseason. They’ve shown they’re not afraid to take on a little attitude. Take away the emotions and steroid talk, and Barry Bonds is one of the three or four best players in the history of the game, he’s on Mount Rushmoreno. I’m not saying he really WOULD come to Kansas City for the minimum (and give the money to kids for tickets!). I suspect that if it is Kansas City making the offer, he may suddenly have a lot of excuses (“Oh, I’d love to, but there’s the spider web in the corner of my garage, and I’ve just GOT to get rid of that thing”).

But if he’s serious, I’d do it. Absolutely. Yes, the commissioner’s office would howl behind the scenes (I suspect there is no way that Royals owner David Glass would ever do this … he’s close with Bud Selig). Other teams would grumble about the collusion that is really, really not happening. But I wouldn’t care. Baseball has kicked the Royals in the teeth for about 20 years now. I would sign Barry Bonds. I would kick back.

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 26th, 2008 at 7:09 am.

chasedude
06-26-2008, 01:56 PM
The Royal's are already laughing stock, why add to the fire?

NO!

SithCeNtZ
06-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I agree with JoPo. They Royals have to take some risks to compete, and besides, what is the worst thing that happens? He doesn't work out and is gone next season? What did we lose? Would you rather have TPJ clogging up a roster spot in KC? Are you happy just watching Gathwright bunt his way to another 0-4 day? He would be under the softest media coverage in the entire country. Our media can't even call out Herm/king Carl after years of ineptitude. Do you think they would be hounding Bonds every day? I doubt it. It makes perfect sense to add him.

Deberg_1990
06-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Im convinced JoPo has lost his mind.

DeezNutz
06-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Bonds can hit. Hitting helps win games. I like winning games.

I don't care if Bonds isn't a "nice" guy. The Royals are kind of in the race, and this would be a rather low-risk effort to try to make a run at the thing. It's certainly more sensible than giving up prospects. Also, I don't care if this means Butler spends the rest of the year in AAA. 3 months shouldn't ruin his career potential. If it does, he wasn't worth anything to begin with.

FringeNC
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, the Royals should never sign a player that had used performance enhancing drugs....uhhh...wait....

BigMeatballDave
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
The Royal's are already laughing stock
Why? They are not in the cellar in the central.

DeezNutz
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah, the Royals should never sign a player that had used performance enhancing drugs....uhhh...wait....

Right. The production from these types of players stops as soon as they get off the juice.

Sure-Oz
06-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Bonds career low #'s would own in our lineup, ops of 900+

Deberg_1990
06-26-2008, 02:14 PM
I guess if nothing else signing Bonds would make sense from a purely business perspective.

Bonds = More butts in the seats.

noa
06-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Why does he still have a lot of hope for Teahen? We pretty much know what we have in the guy. He's nothing more than average. Plays like crap at the beginning, then once we are way out of it, he picks it up a little, to bring his stats to about average numbers.

I was just looking at his stats and read that he led the league last season in grounding into double plays.

SithCeNtZ
06-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Exactly. The only people against this are people who just don't like Bonds as a person. Thats it. Its the only excuse that has any merit. People can talk about how he was a club house cancer, but I see that he went to a World Series as the best player on the team. If him being a cancer leads the Royals to a World Series or even just the playoffs, then I don't give a **** if it's a regular three ring circus at Kaufman Stadium every day of the week. The steroids argument is stupid as well. We already signed a guy who was named for doing that and now he is a fan favorite in KC because he hits so well. Why couldn't Bonds follow that same path? The point of the game is to win. I don't care if some guy is rude, or if he doesn't sign autographs, I want to win. He gives us the best chance to do that.

DeezNutz
06-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Bonds career low #'s would own in our lineup, ops of 900+

You're so wrong. This team has no room for a player with the following OBP and OPS last year: .480 .565.

Bonds was on base only half of the time last year. He's lost it. Washed up.

DeezNutz
06-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I guess if nothing else signing Bonds would make sense from a purely business perspective.

Bonds = More butts in the seats.

The team would sell a ton of Bonds jerseys, if for nothing more than the novelty of the look.

Sure-Oz
06-26-2008, 02:21 PM
You're so wrong. This team has no room for a player with the following OBP and OPS last year: .480 .565.

Bonds was on base only half of the time last year. He's lost it. Washed up.

No shit we need career .400 ops guys like Pena JR lol....even if bonds hit under .200 his OBP would be .400+, dude has the best eye ever and would get 2 walks a game easy! I don't think he's finished as a player

DeezNutz
06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
No shit we need career .400 ops guys like Pena JR lol....even if bonds hit under .200 his OBP would be .400+, dude has the best eye ever and would get 2 walks a game easy! I don't think he's finished as a player

He'd probably hit 15 HRs after the break and, more importantly, would give Guillen a lot more RBI chances (he hits in the 5-hole with Bonds on the team) because of all the walks.

ChiefsCountry
06-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Bonds would be a heck of way to bring revenue to the team before the stadium renovations are done. Heck McGwire helped the Cardinals have the cash to turn their franchise around, Bonds could do the same for the Royals.

Hammock Parties
06-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Whitlock should have written this.

Adept Havelock
06-26-2008, 03:12 PM
The team would sell a ton of Bonds jerseys, if for nothing more than the novelty of the look.

Hell, I might even buy one, as long as their was space to print "Chico's Bail" above his name.

bsp4444
06-26-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm for it. Somehow I don't think he'll be allowed to sign with anyone, though. He has been conspired against.

HypnotizedMonkey
06-26-2008, 04:09 PM
is this even remotely possible? sounds a little far fetched to me.

BIG_DADDY
06-26-2008, 04:17 PM
You guys would be really lucky. Watching that guy bat is awesome.

teedubya
06-26-2008, 04:29 PM
You guys would be really lucky. Watching that guy bat is awesome.

Yes it is... I enjoyed a game in S.F. last April... he hit #736. It was magical.

eazyb81
06-26-2008, 04:39 PM
He wouldn't come here #1, and #2 it's obvious the owners are colluding to not sign him. Out of all the MLB owners, Glass is probably the last guy that would go against the grain and sign Bonds.

Coach
06-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Problem is, it's almost halfway of the season, and it will take awhile for Bonds to get his swing. I know Guillen was out of shape, but he also was out of sync with his motion becuase he was f**king off during spring training.

I'd stay away from Bonds.

Molitoth
06-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Bonds kicks ass. I would welcome him with open arms.

Valiant
06-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Exactly. The only people against this are people who just don't like Bonds as a person. Thats it. Its the only excuse that has any merit. People can talk about how he was a club house cancer, but I see that he went to a World Series as the best player on the team. If him being a cancer leads the Royals to a World Series or even just the playoffs, then I don't give a **** if it's a regular three ring circus at Kaufman Stadium every day of the week. The steroids argument is stupid as well. We already signed a guy who was named for doing that and now he is a fan favorite in KC because he hits so well. Why couldn't Bonds follow that same path? The point of the game is to win. I don't care if some guy is rude, or if he doesn't sign autographs, I want to win. He gives us the best chance to do that.

I hate the guy.. But I want him on this team by All star break..

Archie F. Swin
06-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Bonds under the leadership of Trey Hillman....hmmm

SnakeXJones
06-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Didn't Moore already said he is not interested?

Valiant
06-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Didn't Moore already said he is not interested?

Shit if the Royals, by miracle get close to division lead by end of trade deadline they better be interested in him and others..

BWillie
06-27-2008, 02:38 AM

When we were playing the Cardinals one of their announcers was insinuating that because DDJ plays next to Guillen in the outfield he must be using HGH. I could not believe my ears. They were like, how else do you explain how DDJ has almost 10 home runs already and it's not even before the All-Star break.

What a bunch of morons. DeJesus doesn't have power, he just pulls it down the line. Teahen has power, but doesn't have the bat control like DeJesus. Teahen goes opposite field all the time. Makes me wonder why he can't do it more often.

At any rate, I'm thinking I should get online and order some roids and mail them to our players houses. It wouldn't hurt

jidar
06-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Man... yeah this makes a lot of sense. Hell I say go for it.

doomy3
06-27-2008, 10:45 AM
When we were playing the Cardinals one of their announcers was insinuating that because DDJ plays next to Guillen in the outfield he must be using HGH. I could not believe my ears. They were like, how else do you explain how DDJ has almost 10 home runs already and it's not even before the All-Star break.

What a bunch of morons. DeJesus doesn't have power, he just pulls it down the line. Teahen has power, but doesn't have the bat control like DeJesus. Teahen goes opposite field all the time. Makes me wonder why he can't do it more often.

At any rate, I'm thinking I should get online and order some roids and mail them to our players houses. It wouldn't hurt

DDJ should have charged up the stairs into their booth after the game.

ROYC75
06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
I thought it was stupid all along he wasn't playing in KC. The guy still performed last year and could this year as a DH. Screw the off field BS, he is clean now and we want to win games.

Had they signed him to start the season, KC would be sitting at the top of the division.

Bowser
06-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I'd be for it, but I do believe that Bonds himself said he would only sign with a contending team, so we're SOL.

Mama Hip Rockets
06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I'd be for it, but I do believe that Bonds himself said he would only sign with a contending team, so we're SOL.

7 games out of first place halfway through the season is not SOL.

Consistent1
06-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Somebody should have signed the fool a coupla months ago.