PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Fantasy Basbeall Trade Advice

The Bad Guy
06-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm in a big time league, with a huge amount of categories.

I'm in 6th right now.

My pitching staff is Johan Santana, Tim Linecum, John Lackey, John Maine, Fausto Carmona, Billy Wagner, Francisco Cordero, Heath Bell, Brandon Lyon, Scott Downs.

Stud pitchers are pretty much gold.

My outfield is David Murphy, Juan Pierre, Nick Markakis.

We start LF, CF, RF.

I was offered Ichirio, Erik Bedard and Carlos Marmol for Johan Santana.

Would you take this if you were me?

doomy3
06-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Who would you be dropping to make this trade?

The Bad Guy
06-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Who would you be dropping to make this trade?

I'd probably cut Jeff Kent and Mike Gonzalez.

Although, I'm trying to work a 2 for 1 involving David Murphy and Juan Pierre for Jason Bay.

doomy3
06-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I kinda like the trade that was offered to you...I would probably take it.

The Bad Guy
06-28-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm gonna see how Johan pitches today.

I'm a huge Santana guy. Gave up a king's ransom to get him in the beginning of the year. Plus, I'm a Mets fan, so it makes it difficult.

But Johan isn't the same guy he was in the past. He's very hittable.

banyon
06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Is it a keeper league?

RJ
06-28-2008, 02:20 PM
In my mind that trade is really Marmol and Ichiro for Santana. Bedard has been at best inconsistent this season and he's pitching for a really bad team. Marmol has really racked up some K's for a reliever. Does your league count holds?

Based on limited information I'd say you should do it but I'd try to get another player substituted for Bedard.

CoMoChief
06-28-2008, 02:21 PM
I would take it simply because if you have stud pitchers then losing one good one isn't going to hurt as much, because you still will beat people with pitching regardless.

I like what he has to offer you. I would make that trade.

SithCeNtZ
06-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I would NOT do it at all. Pitchers with a 3.25 ERA or less do not grow on trees. Ichiro hasn't been that good this year, don't let his name fool you. He isn't that big of an upgrade over Pierre to warrant Santana. Carlos Marmol has no value unless you have holds as a category.

The Bad Guy
06-28-2008, 02:31 PM
In my mind that trade is really Marmol and Ichiro for Santana. Bedard has been at best inconsistent this season and he's pitching for a really bad team. Marmol has really racked up some K's for a reliever. Does your league count holds?

Based on limited information I'd say you should do it but I'd try to get another player substituted for Bedard.

We do count holds.

I think Bedard is a wild-card. He does pitch on a horrid team, but he is pitching for money, so I think he'll turn it around sometime. He was a big stud last year.

I'd need a pitcher. He has Peavy, but that's not happening. He has Kershaw and the Big Unit too. So Bedard is the lesser of the evils.

The Bad Guy
06-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I would NOT do it at all. Pitchers with a 3.25 ERA or less do not grow on trees. Ichiro hasn't been that good this year, don't let his name fool you. He isn't that big of an upgrade over Pierre to warrant Santana. Carlos Marmol has no value unless you have holds as a category.

I agree with you.

If Santana gets bombed today, I'm taking the trade.

My batting desperately needs an average guy though, that's the only reason I'm even considering it.

SithCeNtZ
06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree with you.

If Santana gets bombed today, I'm taking the trade.

My batting desperately needs an average guy though, that's the only reason I'm even considering it.

?? That doesn't make any sense for you then. Have you actually looked at Ichiro's numbers this year? This isn't the .365 batting title Ichiro, this is the .290 with no power Ichiro who's only value is runs and stolen bases. You already get SB's with Pierre and Pierre is only hitting .09 less than Ichiro. That is not worth it for Santana regardless of his start today. Go get an actual good player for him if you want to deal him, not Ichiro.

The Bad Guy
06-28-2008, 02:36 PM
?? That doesn't make any sense for you then. Have you actually looked at Ichiro's numbers this year? This isn't the .365 batting title Ichiro, this is the .290 with no power Ichiro who's only value is runs and stolen bases. You already get SB's with Pierre and Pierre is only hitting .09 less than Ichiro. That is not worth it for Santana regardless of his start today. Go get an actual good player for him if you want to deal him, not Ichiro.

I don't think Ichirio will be down all year.

The problem is everyone in this league pretty much has good pitching, so finding a match is tough.

At worst, I stand pat.

tk13
06-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't know. Last year I'd taken that in a heartbeat, I don't know if I'd do it now. I'm guessing that this guy is banking on the idea that Santana has always been a 2nd half pitcher. Who knows how being on the Mets will change that. Last year he finally had a poor 2nd half, but the previous 4 seasons his record after the all-star break was 40-4.

The Bad Guy
06-28-2008, 04:19 PM
After careful thinking, I think I'm going to decline.

Santana has been dissapointing so far, but he'll have a stretch that will make mouth's water.

Now, he wanted Linecum/David Murphy for Ich/Bedard. I'm considering, but not thrilled.

DJ's left nut
06-28-2008, 05:03 PM
It's not a bad trade, but you can do better.

The mistake some guys make is they look at that deal and say "yeah, you're getting an okay return" but they don't even consider the possibility that you can do better.

If you want to deal Santana for OF help, you can do better. Find the guy with Holliday and see if he bites on the big name guy with Holliday slumping a little (power-wise).

The Bad Guy
06-29-2008, 12:40 PM
He has offered me:

Ichirio
Bedard
Marmol

for

Tim Linecum
David Murphy
Mike Gonzalez

Is this any better than the Johan trade?

DJ's left nut
06-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Worse, IMO.

CoMoChief
06-29-2008, 12:56 PM
He has offered me:

Ichirio
Bedard
Marmol

for

Tim Linecum
David Murphy
Mike Gonzalez

Is this any better than the Johan trade?
If this allows you to keep Johan I would make this trade simply because Ichiro has more value than any of the players you are offering him.

Linecum is good, but Johan is pretty good too.

The Bad Guy
06-29-2008, 01:00 PM
If this allows you to keep Johan I would make this trade simply because Ichiro has more value than any of the players you are offering him.

Linecum is good, but Johan is pretty good too.

I love Linecum, however, he's going to be on an innings count with how young he is.

This would allow me to keep Johan, get a solid CF option, trade Pierre for a LF, and get a big boom or bust pitcher to go with Johan, Lackey and Maine.

I'm going to see how Bedard pitches today in his return from the DL.

My team batting average is 271 for the season- which is last in my league. I know Ichirio is struggling, but I think he'll turn it around.