PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Batman (Nolan)>Ironman>Superman=Hulk=Spiderman

Sully
06-28-2008, 03:00 PM
That's where I stand so far on the comic book movies of the past several years.
I never understood why everyone loved the Spiderman movies so much, I just thought they were meh. I guess it's because Tobey McGuire annoys me so much. I though the Hulk was just as good, if not better than the Spiderman movies. Ironman was fun, and I loved it. Downey killed the part, and it was everything the hype leading up to it promised.
Batman was just plain badass, and The Dark Knight is the one movie I anticipate more than anything this summer.

KCChiefsMan
06-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I haven't seen Ironman or the Hulk yet. But I cannot wait until Dark Night! I haven't been this excited for a movie in a long time

FAX
06-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I haven't seen Ironman or the Hulk yet. But I cannot wait until Dark Night! I haven't been this excited for a movie in a long time

Dude peep!!! You need to get busy. If IronMan is still playing in a theater near you, you need to get out of your chair and down there right away!!! This is not a movie you want to miss seeing on a big screen.

FAX

keg in kc
06-28-2008, 04:19 PM
If TDK is less than a religious experience I'm probably going to be disappointed.

(Which is really setting myself up for a letdown).

FAX
06-28-2008, 04:23 PM
If TDK is less than a religious experience I'm probably going to be disappointed.

The signs are certainly favorable. Although there's probably one out there, I have yet to see a bad review.

I wonder if, at some point, they're going to try and introduce that Robin kid in this franchise. I hope not.

FAX

Chiefs Pantalones
06-28-2008, 05:25 PM
The signs are certainly favorable. Although there's probably one out there, I have yet to see a bad review.

I wonder if, at some point, they're going to try and introduce that Robin kid in this franchise. I hope not.

FAX

I think Ellen Degeneres would play a good Robin.

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2008, 06:12 PM
The Original Superman movie is untouchable in IMO, The Dark Knight could be up their but nothing undo the badassness that was written by Mario Puzo.

Fire Me Boy!
06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
The Original Superman movie is untouchable in IMO, The Dark Knight could be up their but nothing undo the badassness that was written by Mario Puzo.

QFT

I love Batman Begins, and I'm anxiously awaiting Dark Knight, but for me, Superman: The Movie is the end all, be all to superhero movies.

Nightfyre
06-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I never understood why everyone loved the Spiderman movies so much, I just thought they were meh. I guess it's because Tobey McGuire annoys me so much. I though the Hulk was just as good, if not better than the Spiderman movies. Ironman was fun, and I loved it. Downey killed the part, and it was everything the hype leading up to it promised.
Batman was just plain badass, and The Dark Knight is the one movie I anticipate more than anything this summer.

I agree.

Fire Me Boy!
06-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Some early press on Dark Knight said that if Heath Ledger doesn't win a posthumous Oscar for his role as the Joker it will be nothing short of a tragedy.

tk13
06-28-2008, 06:40 PM
I think that's where Superman is always gonna have a disadvantage against these other movies like Spiderman, Iron Man, etc... pretty much the rest of them started with origin stories, nothing previous to compare it to... although Batman had technically been done before, it was nothing like Batman Begins. You can't do that with Superman... well you could, but it would be more difficult. You have to go up against the grandfather of all comic book movies, plus a popular TV show that stretches out Superman's origin story. Plus the ghost of Christopher Reeve. Tall mountain to climb.

Deberg_1990
06-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I Plus the ghost of Christopher Reeve.

Still the best Superhero interpretation of all time. Dude was note perfect as Superman/Clark Kent.

milkman
06-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Still the best Superhero interpretation of all time. Dude was note perfect as Superman/Clark Kent.

I'm in the minority here.

I thought Reeve was terrible, and while Gene Hackman is a great actor, he was a terrible Lex Luthor.

The movie sucked ass.

Deberg_1990
06-28-2008, 09:32 PM

I thought Reeve was terrible, and while Gene Hackman is a great actor, he was a terrible Lex Luthor.

The movie sucked ass.

Wow, waaaay in the minority there. Ive never heard anyone says Reeves was terrible. WTF??

jjchieffan
06-28-2008, 09:46 PM

I guess you must be limiting your view to the last year or so in comic movies? There have been so many. The X-men movies, The Punisher, The Blade movies, Daredevil, Elektra, and the Fantastic Four. Not to mention the previous Hulk and Batman movies.(which obviously rank well below the new ones). Do you have an opinion on those as well, or did you just want to talk about the ones you listed.

whoman69
06-28-2008, 09:55 PM

The movie sucked ass.

Reeve was written much like the comic book of the time was. Superman was pretty vanilla back then. Reeve did a good job in humanizing the character. I thought they used the comic angle on Lex Luthor too much. That said, I think it was still an effective movie, though I liked Superman II better.

Psyko Tek
06-28-2008, 09:58 PM
superman the best of all time [
No ****ing way

let's fly backwards to go back in time!!!!

lex wasn't even bald
and about as threatening as a grade schooler

best ever superhero movie
Batman Mask of the Phatasm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/Batman_mask_of_the_phantasm_poster.jpg

IMG]upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/Batman_mask_of_the_phantasm_poster.jpg[/IMG]

Sully
06-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I guess you must be limiting your view to the last year or so in comic movies? There have been so many. The X-men movies, The Punisher, The Blade movies, Daredevil, Elektra, and the Fantastic Four. Not to mention the previous Hulk and Batman movies.(which obviously rank well below the new ones). Do you have an opinion on those as well, or did you just want to talk about the ones you listed.

I left out X Men. My bad. I'd rank those just above the Spiderman/Superman.
I've only seen the 3rd Blade, but I didn't realize it was from a comic. I loved it, but still haven't seen the others. Haven't seen any of the others.... so, yeah, those are the only ones I can comment on.

Where do those others rank with the ones I've listed, IYO?

Deberg_1990
06-28-2008, 10:10 PM

Those first two Blade movies kick some serious a$$.

In fact the original Blade is the movie the revitalized the current wave of comic book films.

CoMoChief
06-28-2008, 10:10 PM
If they keep making these, I wonder who Nolan would cast for Robin???

Fire Me Boy!
06-28-2008, 10:23 PM
superman the best of all time [
No ****ing way

let's fly backwards to go back in time!!!!

lex wasn't even bald
and about as threatening as a grade schooler

best ever superhero movie
Batman Mask of the Phatasm

Lex WAS bald in the Superman movies, but he wore wigs.

Fire Me Boy!
06-28-2008, 10:24 PM

It's well-documented on this site that Fantastic Four was crap, on top of crap, on top of crap.

I believe I said that if crap, took a crap... Fantastic Crap would THAT second crap's crap. So... that makes FF crap to the third.

Horrible movie. ****ing awful.

Easy 6
06-28-2008, 10:29 PM

Long read, but this should ease your concern...its the best thing i've seen on the subject...

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/magazine/16-07/ff_darknight

Buehler445
06-28-2008, 10:33 PM
It's well-documented on this site that Fantastic Four was crap, on top of crap, on top of crap.

I believe I said that if crap, took a crap... Fantastic Crap would THAT second crap's crap. So... that makes FF crap to the third.

Horrible movie. ****ing awful.

And what's funny is FF The Silver Surfer is way worse. If they didn't cast Jessica Alba, it would have forced me to commit suicide.

Buehler445
06-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Long read, but this should ease your concern...its the best thing i've seen on the subject...

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/magazine/16-07/ff_darknight

That is a good read. I want to see it in IMAX!!!

On a different note, I did not know Oliver Reed died during Gladiator. Which parts were recreations?

Easy 6
06-28-2008, 11:23 PM
That is a good read. I want to see it in IMAX!!!

On a different note, I did not know Oliver Reed died during Gladiator. Which parts were recreations?

Thats the first i'd heard of that as well, i'm not sure where they did the 'Brandon Lee' on him.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Some early press on Dark Knight said that if Heath Ledger doesn't win a posthumous Oscar for his role as the Joker it will be nothing short of a tragedy.
He died for that role. He had to get counseling afterward because he really got into the psychopathic sense that was the Joker. He wasn't the same up until he died because of that movie according to friends and family of his.

FAX
06-28-2008, 11:29 PM
He died for that role. He had to get counseling afterward because he really got into the psychopathic sense that was the Joker. He wasn't the same up until he died because of that movie according to friends and family of his.

You know, I wondered about that, Mr. Vanilla Thunder. In the press accounts I read at the time, he had been complaining of sleeplessness which, to me, indicated he might have gone a little too deep into the role.

What a sad, sad thing.

FAX

Psyko Tek
06-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Lex WAS bald in the Superman movies, but he wore wigs.

only in the movies
no comic or cartoon ever had Lex with a wig

Fish
06-29-2008, 12:30 AM

I find that completely absurd. He's an actor. He's an actor playing a part in a very strictly controlled production studio. Piece by piece. It's not like the mental strain of playing the part of a fictitious comic book villain is all that dangerous or psychologically damaging. Do you really think under all that makeup and bright lights and repetitive scenes that he was having difficulty distinguishing between real life and comic book fantasy characters? He's shooting scenes for hours at a time and going back to the trailer....

He died because he abused drugs. Not because of some extravagant part in a movie that he got too emotionally involved in.

jjchieffan
06-29-2008, 12:49 AM
I left out X Men. My bad. I'd rank those just above the Spiderman/Superman.
I've only seen the 3rd Blade, but I didn't realize it was from a comic. I loved it, but still haven't seen the others. Haven't seen any of the others.... so, yeah, those are the only ones I can comment on.

Where do those others rank with the ones I've listed, IYO?

I am pretty much in agreement with you actually. That is why I was interested to see you follow up. I can't rank Ironman because I haven't seen it yet, but baving seen the blade movies, I would rank it up there with Hulk. SAme with the X-Men. Although I was a bit disappointed in FF, I don't find it near as bad as some on here. Probably next on the list after Spiderman. As for Punisher, Daredevil and Elektra..meh. They were watchable, but I didn't run out to buy the DVD for any of them.

irishjayhawk
06-29-2008, 01:01 AM
I find that completely absurd. He's an actor. He's an actor playing a part in a very strictly controlled production studio. Piece by piece. It's not like the mental strain of playing the part of a fictitious comic book villain is all that dangerous or psychologically damaging. Do you really think under all that makeup and bright lights and repetitive scenes that he was having difficulty distinguishing between real life and comic book fantasy characters? He's shooting scenes for hours at a time and going back to the trailer....

He died because he abused drugs. Not because of some extravagant part in a movie that he got too emotionally involved in.

How little you know. :shake:

ChiefsFanatic
06-29-2008, 04:09 AM

The movie sucked ass.

Thank god. I thought I was out of my mind.

I think that recent superhero movies that have started over, or at some beginning point, have been hits.

Spider-man started at the beginning, X-men did not start at the beginning per se, but introduced characters from a starting point. Batman Begins was so smart because they had the guts to start over.

That is why Superman Returns sucked ass. They should have had the guts to start at the beginning.

milkman
06-29-2008, 05:47 AM
Wow, waaaay in the minority there. Ive never heard anyone says Reeves was terrible. WTF??

Reeve was written much like the comic book of the time was. Superman was pretty vanilla back then. Reeve did a good job in humanizing the character. I thought they used the comic angle on Lex Luthor too much. That said, I think it was still an effective movie, though I liked Superman II better.

Yeah, pretty vanilla, but when I saw Superman with Reeve, I didn't think vanilla.

I thought pussy.