PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Lawn Care Experts

Cntrygal
06-29-2008, 01:22 PM
woohoo! A different icon than the "?"!!!! :)

Despite all the moisture that we've gotten this spring/summer (and we've gotten alot on a regular basis) - my yard is very dry. I've noticed that the only yards that look really green are those that are constantly watering (in violation of the watering rules)...They're even watering following a nice soaking rain. I'm thinking - WTH? A neighbor told me that when they put the subdivision in.... they just put a few inches of "dirt" over the top of gumbo and the gumbo just sucks all the water right out of the soil.

1 - gumbo = clay?
2 - Does this even make sense?
3 - Is there a way to fix this without watering EVERY day or digging up the entire yard and starting from scratch?

Bugeater
06-29-2008, 02:44 PM
As a general rule the best thing to do is water heavily once a week, that encourages your grass to root deeper into the soil and it will survive better in the heat.

However, in your case, I don't think you have the most fertile soil up there. It's very likely that the only way you're going to have a nice lush lawn is to water often.

06-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Is gumbo shale? :spock:

If you have an irrigation system you should cycle the zones to get optimum usage from the water. for instance, if you're watering 30 minutes a zone in one cycle change it to 10 minutes a zone with 3 cycles or start times. this way you don't have any run off and your being efficient with your watering.

06-29-2008, 02:54 PM
It can also be fungus if you're getting that much rain.

Bugeater
06-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Is gumbo shale? :spock:

I don't think so, it has to be more like clay or some hard type of soil. I don't know if you've ever been to western SD but not much of anything grows there.

06-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't think so, it has to be more like clay or some hard type of soil. I don't know if you've ever been to western SD but not much of anything grows there.

Never been to SD. thanks for the enlightenment.

Bugeater
06-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Never been to SD. thanks for the enlightenment.

You've never been to Mt Rushmore? Are you a commie or something?

06-29-2008, 03:07 PM
You've never been to Mt Rushmore? Are you a commie or something?

I'm working on it, n00b. I always wanted to go to Deadwood, it's this wild bill hickock thing I've been dying to see. and Mt Rushmore too.

I will definitely never be seen in Nebraska, I will tell you that. :evil:

milkman
06-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Have you tried antifreeze?

Stewie
06-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Where do you live?

OmahaChief
06-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Here is another one for you experts. How the hell do I get rid of Creeping Charlie? It is one of the most invasive things I have encountered in my yard and I am losing the battle so far.

Stewie
06-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Here is another one for you experts. How the hell do I get rid of Creeping Charlie? It is one of the most invasive things I have encountered in my yard and I am losing the battle so far.

Spectracide Weed Killer (the new version) kills a wide variety of undesirables. I'm not sure if that's one of them. You may have to resort to Round Up if it doesn't.

Bugeater
06-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Where do you live?
She's up in Rapid City SD.

If weed killer or Roundup doesn't work try a brush killer. It's more potent.

Cntrygal
06-29-2008, 03:54 PM
As a general rule the best thing to do is water heavily once a week, that encourages your grass to root deeper into the soil and it will survive better in the heat.

However, in your case, I don't think you have the most fertile soil up there. It's very likely that the only way you're going to have a nice lush lawn is to water often.

:(

Cntrygal
06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Have you tried antifreeze?

LMAO

Where do you live?

Rapid City (SD)

Bugeater
06-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, there's always FieldTurf. :)

Cntrygal
06-29-2008, 04:20 PM

You mock me!

I (meaning mom) has huge landscaping plans for next spring (my ankle will be completely healed by then)..... and who knows what crazy things may happen. STFU

Skip Towne
06-29-2008, 04:42 PM

I thought SD grew a lot of wheat?

Cntrygal
06-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Eastern SD may (along with corn).

Skip Towne
06-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Eastern SD may (along with corn).

I've never been there but the map I Googled had the whole state colored in as producing wheat.

Bugeater
06-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I thought SD grew a lot of wheat?

The terrain around the Black Hills is different from the rest of the state.

boogblaster
06-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Plant concrete and paint it green when it grows next spring ....

Cntrygal
06-29-2008, 05:17 PM
:shrug: I don't see much wheat right around me. It's prairie, The Hills, and Sturgis.

Skip Towne
06-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I would ask the ag agent for your area what varety of grass grows in your region. I think it is called the ASCS office. Something like that.

Bugeater
06-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I would ask the ag agent for your area what varety of grass grows in your region. I think it is called the ASCS office. Something like that.

Or maybe she should just try growing wheat in her yard. :shrug:

Skip Towne
06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Or maybe she should just try growing wheat in her yard. :shrug:

It would look nice in the winter. Summer, not so much.

stlchiefs
06-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Plant concrete and paint it green when it grows next spring ....

Hey if the Chiefs can deal with it at Arrowhead, it can work in a front yard.

06-29-2008, 08:17 PM

I would love to have field turf.

I friggen hate yard work.

Buehler445
06-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Rapid City (SD)

I would suggest you water at night. You lose more than you could imagine to evaporation during the day. Additionally, the grass is more accepting of the water since it is cool.

Oh yeah, and go to Cabela's when it opens there.:)

stlchiefs
06-29-2008, 09:37 PM
I would suggest you water at night. You lose more than you could imagine to evaporation during the day. Additionally, the grass is more accepting of the water since it is cool.

You should never water at night, it promotes the growth of fungus on the grass as the top of the grass stays wet all night. The best time to water is between 4-7:00 am.

I did a quick google search and found this guide as well. I didn't read it, so I'm not sure what info it has, but I'm sure it will provide some insight.
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/appropriations/lawn_tips.pdf

Buehler445
06-29-2008, 09:40 PM
You should never water at night, it promotes the growth of fungus on the grass as the top of the grass stays wet all night. The best time to water is between 4-7:00 am.

I did a quick google search and found this guide as well. I didn't read it, so I'm not sure what info it has, but I'm sure it will provide some insight.
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/appropriations/lawn_tips.pdf

I think where she is at is dry enough to prevent that. I don't really have that option where I am, since I don't have a underground system. I've had better luck watering at night.

Dayze
06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
I think where she is at is dry enough to prevent that. I don't really have that option where I am, since I don't have a underground system. I've had better luck watering at night.

It's ok to water at night, so long as you have good absorbtion of water. The fungus and other diseases typically associated with 'watering at night' tend to happen when the surface of the soil remains damp/wet for long periods of time. Water your yard and monitor how long it takes befor it starts 'pooling' on the surface. This will give you an idea of your drainage/absorbition; and also give you a good idea of how long you can efficiently water before water becomes a waste.

If you've got good absorbtion, and drainage, you should be ok watering at night considering it's one of your only options. Certainly, as others have mentioned, very earl AM deep watering is best. But not always the most convienient etc.

Might want to also take a core sample of your soil in to get tested; it will not only give you results of what type of soil, amount of clay content etc, but also Ph levels in the soil. This will help you to determin if you need to work on treating the soil. You can water all day, but if you have poor soil, poor absorbtion, and poor drainage, you'll have a good chunk of wasted effort.
:thumb:

Cntrygal
06-30-2008, 05:11 PM

I love Cabela's!

06-30-2008, 05:24 PM

This can be good and bad. you should really water in the early morning so it will have time to dry out, if you water at night and have night time temps above 72 degrees you will be having fungus heaven.

cardken
06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Why bother, as soon as you get a great lawn, a wildfire blazes through and you have to start all over.ROFL

Cntrygal
06-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Why bother, as soon as you get a great lawn, a wildfire blazes through and you have to start all over.ROFL