PDA

View Full Version : News Man Dies After Assault at Softball Game

stlchiefs
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Man dies after assault at softball game

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) - A softball player accused of fatally punching a rival team member after a recreational league game spent more than four years in prison for battering a man with a golf club, according to state records.

Sean Sanders, 27, ran off the field after punching Daniel Andrews, 37, in the head at the end of the game Sunday afternoon in Parma, a Rochester suburb, and was captured a mile away some six hours later, authorities said.

Andrews was taken unconscious to a hospital and placed on life support. He died Monday evening.

Sanders was initially charged with second-degree assault, a felony, and jailed without bail. But prosecutors were weighing whether to upgrade the charges pending an official investigation.

Sanders was imprisoned for second-degree assault in February 2003 and released from Groveland prison in western New York in March 2007, according to records at the state Department of Correctional Services. He also served eight months in prison in 1999 for third-degree burglary.

He was arrested in the Rochester suburb of Greece in November 2002 for hitting a man "numerous times about the body with a golf club," state Division of Parole spokeswoman Carole Weaver said Tuesday. In pleading guilty, Sanders maintained he was intoxicated and had come to the aid of a friend who was attacked by "numerous other individuals," Weaver said.

Calls to the Monroe County jail were not immediately returned, and it remained unclear whether a lawyer had been appointed for Sanders, who lives in Irondequoit.

Witnesses told police the game between men mainly in their 30s and 40s had been marred by trash talk between some players. Andrews, who lived in Hilton, was punched with a closed fist in the back of the head when the teams linked up to shake hands, said Monroe County Sheriff's spokesman Cpl. John Helfer.

More than 4,000 people play recreational softball in the city of Rochester, and thousands more compete in suburban leagues.

"I've seen people go after each other ... but usually it's more of a shouting match," said Jim Graupman, a softball commissioner at the city's McAvoy Park, in Tuesday's Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. "Very rarely do you see it escalate into something this serious."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8302034?MSNHPHMA

I thought this was interesting, especially as I remembered a thread from Zach a while back about a fight following a softball game. This is a good reminder that testosterone, ego and dumbassery can lead to unintended consequences sometimes. This is not an attack on Zach at all, but a story like this might make some of the tough guys on here to think twice before starting unnecessary fights over nonsense (softball, road rage, kids sports, etc.)

Valiant
07-01-2008, 06:01 PM
lOl I almost beat up my second ump last week.. He was making up his own rules during the game and calling a bad game towards both teams..

I knew we were not going to win at all.. Considering this is a coed team where all the girls are first timers.. Just happen to be all hot 19-26 year old nurses and beauty school women.. Short shorts, I mean short.. So I do not mind the losing.. They or we have scored one run in four games.. I have only played in one.. 1 for 2 with a triple, Should be 2 for 2 but the ref is a dick, but that is not what set me off..

He changed the strike zone(which I thought is pretty permanent in softball).. Said we had too many girls on the team???(Said it was of competition equality).. And then said we had to start with at least 8 people (four boys and five girls) even though the rule book said we could start with 7...

I had nice vicious words with him after the game after he got lippy with me when he was leaving... He said he will get me thrown out of there and arrested and I told him to go for it.. I have two teams worth of witnesses and him breaking the rules..

---------------

My previous almost ass whipping of the ref came from him trying to make our team lose, because he was a member of another team filling in.. His calls were ridiculous, had the ball go over my head and land a good five feet behind me.. He called strike, So I scooted back further, the ball hit a few inches from the back stop, a good 8-10 feet from the plate.. He called strike.. I went after him chewing him out for the BS, he hid behind the other ump while I was calling him out about the cheating..

later at the bar he apologized for the cheating..

Reerun_KC
07-01-2008, 08:16 PM
lOl I almost beat up my second ump last week.. He was making up his own rules during the game and calling a bad game towards both teams..

I knew we were not going to win at all.. Considering this is a coed team where all the girls are first timers.. Just happen to be all hot 19-26 year old nurses and beauty school women.. Short shorts, I mean short.. So I do not mind the losing.. They or we have scored one run in four games.. I have only played in one.. 1 for 2 with a triple, Should be 2 for 2 but the ref is a dick, but that is not what set me off..

He changed the strike zone(which I thought is pretty permanent in softball).. Said we had too many girls on the team???(Said it was of competition equality).. And then said we had to start with at least 8 people (four boys and five girls) even though the rule book said we could start with 7...

I had nice vicious words with him after the game after he got lippy with me when he was leaving... He said he will get me thrown out of there and arrested and I told him to go for it.. I have two teams worth of witnesses and him breaking the rules..

---------------

My previous almost ass whipping of the ref came from him trying to make our team lose, because he was a member of another team filling in.. His calls were ridiculous, had the ball go over my head and land a good five feet behind me.. He called strike, So I scooted back further, the ball hit a few inches from the back stop, a good 8-10 feet from the plate.. He called strike.. I went after him chewing him out for the BS, he hid behind the other ump while I was calling him out about the cheating..

Kick his ass SeaBass!
http://www.moviepublicity.com/image_assets/dumbdumber_05.jpg

Frazod
07-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Punched the guy in the back of the head? What a puss. I hope he's already on a bitch end of his latest prison love affair.

stlchiefs
07-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Punched the guy in the back of the head? What a puss. I hope he's already on a bitch end of his latest prison love affair.

And ran like a bitch after throwing the punch nonetheless.

That assault charge will jump here real quick.

BigVE
07-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I have seen TOO many wannabe superstars who think they are BIG leaguers when they are nothing more than beer-league chumps. Nothing wrong with being a beer-league chump, I was one for years but you have to know your place and your realistic skill level. These guys would show up half tanked by game time and just got worse as the night went on. Arguments were a regular part of the events but they rarely escalated to full scale fighting (or sucker punching)... I played for years and then "retired". A year later I got into umpiring and didnt have to deal with too much crap other than those no good ladies! They couldn't throw a strike or hit a ball to save their lives (most of 'em) but they would try to argue with me on stuff they didnt even know about.

kcfanXIII
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
softball umps usually suck for rec leagues. the ump that calls our games seems to have a grudge against us. i've called him out a few times, but i end up looking like the asshole usually. he really is terrible.

little jacob
07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
...what could be more important that making sure somebody doesnt disrespect you in a beer league softball game...

DT58HOF
07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
if he is a registered umpire through ASA or USSSA or even NFHS
and you assault him in the united states, if he pursues charges against you, it is mandatory 3 year minimum sentence, they did this becuase of a hockey official gettin beat badly a few years ago. Officials and Umpires are protected now!!
just thought i would tell you in advance

wutamess
07-01-2008, 11:40 PM

---------------

Aren't you tough!

NOT!

http://www.bohemianscientist.org/images/blog07/03/borat.jpg

SPATCH
07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
And then said we had to start with at least 8 people (four boys and five girls) even though the rule book said we could start with 7...

math?

Mama Hip Rockets
07-03-2008, 11:31 PM
we had a shitty ump in our softball game last night. he kept making blatantly terrible calls. we threw a guy out at first that was out by 2 or 3 steps, and he called him safe. then we had a guy slide into second base a good 2 or 3 seconds before the ball got there, and he was called out.

after the game, we saw the umpire walking out of the softball complex talking and laughing with members of the other team, and they were all on a first-name basis with each other.

Al Bundy
07-03-2008, 11:52 PM
we had a shitty ump in our softball game last night. he kept making blatantly terrible calls. we threw a guy out at first that was out by 2 or 3 steps, and he called him safe. then we had a guy slide into second base a good 2 or 3 seconds before the ball got there, and he was called out.

after the game, we saw the umpire walking out of the softball complex talking and laughing with members of the other team, and they were all on a first-name basis with each other.

That's usually how it is.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-04-2008, 12:20 AM
That's usually how it is.

we usually have pretty good, unbiased umpires in our league. unfortunately that was not the case last night.

stlchiefs
07-04-2008, 12:21 AM

I hope you at least jacked him upside the head and ran. That's what real men do.

CrazyPhuD
07-04-2008, 04:31 AM
I hope you at least jacked him upside the head and ran. That's what real men do.

No no real men find his car and cut the brake lines.

Programmer
07-04-2008, 08:51 AM
I played softball for many years and never saw an actual fight on the field or off the field due to the games.

Our league had a prison team playing, they were the most well behaved team in the league. On rare occasions the guards would let them share a beer with the opposition, but only one. They were in the league until a new Warden came to the house, that was the end of their outside softball experience.

I wonder if the professional sports fights we see on ESPN and other media outlets have impacted the industrial sports scene?

BigVE
07-04-2008, 09:02 AM
softball umps usually suck for rec leagues. the ump that calls our games seems to have a grudge against us. i've called him out a few times, but i end up looking like the asshole usually. he really is terrible.

Funny, most of the PLAYERS in reg league suck too so it's a pretty even match! LOL

As an ump I had a few in-game tough guys who would try to act tough during the game and they were never as brave or as tough when they were on their own after the games at the end of the night. After umpiring 4 games in a row with a bunch of punks for very little pay I was generally in NO mood for friendly discussions at the end of the night. NO ump is perfect and never will be, all you can do is know the rules, call it as fair as possible and call it the way YOU see it. That's all.

RNR
07-04-2008, 09:07 AM
There are a bunch of softball players that hang out where I throw darts. Most of them are pretty cool, some of the younger ones talk real loud and act cocky. I always get a chuckle out of seeing average guys with beer guts decked out like MBL players.

Gonzo
07-04-2008, 09:10 AM
A lot of softball guys are pretty much douchebags anyway. I mean, come on you go out there and take a game with a bunch of fat-ass office jockeys way too seriously. I played in a league a couple years ago and the ref called someone out on a slide. The guy gets up and is literally screaming at the poor guy, (Who works for free).
It was like Pinella out there screaming at an ump in the nlcs for chrissakes.
It's nice to get out there on occasion and play some ball but after that, I never played in a league again.

BigVE
07-04-2008, 09:11 AM
There are a bunch of softball players that hang out where I throw darts. Most of them are pretty cool, some of the younger ones talk real loud and act cocky. I always get a chuckle out of seeing average guys with beer guts decked out like MBL players.

Heck, we were all lucky to have matching T-shirts let alone matching uni's! But we always started with a full cooler and wouldn't leave til it was empty....THAT is true beer league!

|Zach|
07-04-2008, 09:21 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/225/470983782_f160125354.jpg

RNR
07-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Heck, we were all lucky to have matching T-shirts let alone matching uni's! But we always started with a full cooler and wouldn't leave til it was empty....THAT is true beer league!

LMAO That was the way it was when I played. My parents owned a bar and we would play other bars you lose you buy the beer. Just a mixed group of exjocks drunks and chicks. Several "staged" confrontations kicking dirt and complianing all for laughs and show. The guys I was talking about have the entire uniform bat bags the whole nine!

Al Bundy
07-04-2008, 10:00 AM
The softball team I play on has been playing together for 6 years.. we still have the same shirts from the 1st season.

Sully
07-04-2008, 10:30 AM
He punched him in the back of the head because he didn't want to break his Oakleys.